Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

dum2007 posted:

I know people bag on ikea, but I have that same cheap rear end couch and I love it. I moved, suddenly needed a new, cheap couch, and it fit the bill perfectly. Considering a similar, minimalist couch was going for 1200 I think I made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dum2007
Jun 13, 2001
I may be the victim of indigestion, but she is the product of it.

Juriko posted:

I know people bag on ikea, but I have that same cheap rear end couch and I love it. I moved, suddenly needed a new, cheap couch, and it fit the bill perfectly. Considering a similar, minimalist couch was going for 1200 I think I made the right decision.

Yep. While it's not as long as I'd like, which makes it uncomfortable to sleep on, it definitely does the job. It's just the right height from the ground to slouch into. I can toss the cover in the washing machine or get a new one if there's a spill.

Also, there's a black/black Poang barely shown in that picture. That chair is gods gift to man.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

dum2007 posted:

Yep. While it's not as long as I'd like, which makes it uncomfortable to sleep on, it definitely does the job. It's just the right height from the ground to slouch into. I can toss the cover in the washing machine or get a new one if there's a spill.

Also, there's a black/black Poang barely shown in that picture. That chair is gods gift to man.

I find it surprisingly comfortable too, and the design makes it easy to upholster like a normal couch if wanted. I am actually picking up some new feed because I hate the silver ones, and grabbing some cheap upholstery to use for the middle section. Surprising comfy for a 250 dollar love seat.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

dum2007 posted:

I've wanted a Poang for a while now. Is it really as awesome as it looks?

automated
Jul 31, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

This is a nice room...except for those chairs. Please buy a lounge chair and a nice couch. Then that room will be awesome.

Done :)

Sorry about the blurry pics, my camera is dead and I had to use my n70, the couch is actually black, even though it looks a bit brown in the photo. The loungeroom is way better setup this way too.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
So heres my setup:

106" pulldown widescreen
aperion audio L/C/R speakers (these are quite fantastic I might add)
aperion audio 10" sub
Harman Kardon AVR145 receiver
phillips DVD player
5-disc cd changer
pretty decent computer with XP for MAME/games/movies

Infocus SP5000 720p projector
Mirage Omnisat V2 rear speakers

And in the bedroom (pardon my mess)

Westinghouse 37" 1080p
Yamaha HTR5930 receiver
Toshiba SDK860 HDMI upscaling DVD player
PS2
Wii
Infinity TSS-1100 surround system

Also in the bedroom:

Nice computer
Dell 2005FPW monitor
Mackie 32x8 mixer
Mackie HR824 monitors (these are amazing!)
Samson 10" studio sub (almost unneccesary with the mackies)
A bunch of other recording/synth related poo poo

Reasonable Man
Sep 11, 2001

smithereens got 'em scaling heights

This is my setup which I'm pretty pleased with. The speakers are Precision Acoustics, which I don't think is a very huge brand and is produced locally.. The TV is resting on the center speaker which is on top of the Joytech component switcher. Digital Cable, DVD player, PS2, CD changer and PC to the left are all attached to this and can be changed by remote. His and her laptops in front of the couch, and remote desktop to the PC makes it easy to switch tracks etc...

Will scale well with a bigger TV sometime in the future methinks...!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors and an Onkyo 504 surround receiver used in stereo only. The Atoms sound pretty fantastic if you realize their limitations. If I were to do it over again I'd save some more and buy Titans or Mini-Monitors.

My source for now is my laptop (With a Turtle Beach USB sound dongle thingy, great sound quality compared to onboard poo poo) or iPod. Sometimes the radio in my receiver.

I have a headphone amp and some Grado SR-225s for quiet time, also a pair of Shure E4C canalphones for portable use.

chromey
Nov 4, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

So heres my setup:

Also in the bedroom:

Nice computer
Dell 2005FPW monitor
Mackie 32x8 mixer

I'd like to hear more about these monitors. I've been considering using them for dj mixing and producing electronic tracks as well as using them for "listening" songs, watching movies and playing games. How do they serve as a holistic system? Since i don't want to buy two sets of systems (one for djing/producing and the other for movies/games) i need something that is jack of all trades. Do you think this would be the right setup for me?

Also how do they compare to the HR626's? What advantages do you get from the price difference?

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
Working with what I have in this tiny-rear end dorm:

Sylvania 20" 720p LCD
Bose Mediamate Speakers
Xbox 360/ Wii

Also, picked up this badass Tivoli Model 1 radio at Target today. $29.99, marked down from $119.99 :c00l:

It works really well hooked up to my laptop.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 2, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

So heres my setup:

Very sweet. Nice speakers too. One thing I'm wondering though: why is the right speaker placed where it is? I would think the optimal place would be just like where the left one is, but you know... on the other side. There doesn't seem to be anything in the way there... I'm confused. I'm really OCD about this kind of thing, so the asymmetry would drive me crazy. I spent about half an hour measuring and positioning my speakers JUST right, so they were perfectly symmetrical in their distance from either wall, the back wall, and toe in toward the listening position.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Withnail posted:

Stuck in the retro cabinet are a pair of B&W 601's and a Sony subwoofer (which I hope to upgrade soon).
I like your style.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

chromey posted:

I'd like to hear more about these monitors. I've been considering using them for dj mixing and producing electronic tracks as well as using them for "listening" songs, watching movies and playing games. How do they serve as a holistic system? Since i don't want to buy two sets of systems (one for djing/producing and the other for movies/games) i need something that is jack of all trades. Do you think this would be the right setup for me?

Also how do they compare to the HR626's? What advantages do you get from the price difference?

I use them for both gaming and production and I havent heard a better pair of monitors yet (well, except for maybe some genelec's but those are way pricey). The hr824's produce an astounding amount of bass on their own and a subwoofer is almost unneccesary. They are VERY loud and remain very clean at loud volumes. I think the thing that distinguishes these the most from other monitors is the apparent lack of a sweet spot. These sound good and consistent from a large range of angles where others require almost perfect placement and distance to capture the "sweet spot". I didnt really compare them to the 624's and I know these are still a bit expensive but in my opinion they are definately worth the price. I would strongly considering using these as a 5.1 surround system for movies. I bought mine used on ebay and got the pair for like $700 and they sound great. New ones (I think they just released the MkII's) will run you about $550-$600 a piece, however if you can find a store (guitar center maybe) that still has a pair of the older ones you might be able to get a good deal on them.

Pibborando San posted:

Very sweet. Nice speakers too. One thing I'm wondering though: why is the right speaker placed where it is? I would think the optimal place would be just like where the left one is, but you know... on the other side. There doesn't seem to be anything in the way there... I'm confused. I'm really OCD about this kind of thing, so the asymmetry would drive me crazy. I spent about half an hour measuring and positioning my speakers JUST right, so they were perfectly symmetrical in their distance from either wall, the back wall, and toe in toward the listening position.

Dont worry, it bothers me too. The simple fact is that if we put it on the floor its kind of blocking the doorway, and we dont want anyone knocking them over (cause they are nice wood and shiny expensive). Since thats a traffic area its a little safer and more stable where it is on the brick. It also blocks the right side of the screen a little for the viewers on the love seat from that angle. Even though it looks a little staggered I honestly cant tell the difference in the placement and id like to think im pretty discerning when it comes to that stuff.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 2, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

The simple fact is that if we put it on the floor its kind of blocking the doorway

Oh, whoa. Didn't even notice there was a door there. I see. If you can't tell when listening, that's all that really matters.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Overhaul time... Only posting since I'm getting excited.

Dropped my Yamaha receiver for a Harmon/Kardon, which is temporary (see below.)
Just aquired 2 more Rowland amps, which brings my total to 3. I've got my eyes on an Anthem AVM 20, so I'm going to use the H/K for now until I can find a small amp for the rear channels that will fit, (I have an Adcom GFA-555 that I'll trade towards an Adcom 535 I think if all goes well.) I've got a set of B&W DM683's on order that will be here Thursday that will replace the Paradigm fronts, and a set of B&W DM602's I just bought on closeout that will be the rears... So the current setup is/will be hopefully...

Sony 46" LCD HD RPTV
Anthem AVM 20 Preamp
Jeff Rowland Model 201 Power Amp (3)
Adcom GFA-535 Power Amp
Denon 1930ci DVD
B&W DM683 Mains
B&W DM602 Rears
Paradigm CC-350 Center
Madrigal Citation 7.4 Subwoofer

I have a few more days to see if my deal on the Anthem goes thru. If not, I'm happy with the way things are... I like the H/K a lot. Really nice receiver... Enough that I'd recommend it to others.

Photos from tonight. Lighting is pretty low so they are weak at best...

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Acc-Risk posted:

Overhaul time...

Those amps look like sex, as in, I want to have sex with them.

But you ARE going to get a new center to match the 683s... riiiiight?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wow those model 201s are nice.

Though i never will understand having an amp thats worth more than the speaker itself.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Omegaslast posted:

Though i never will understand having an amp thats worth more than the speaker itself.

Upgrade potential maybe? When I plan to upgrade my system I'll probably spend about as much on the amp as the speakers, so if I outgrow them I can just replace speakers.

If you think about it adding up all the stuff in the chain (Transport, DAC, Amp, Preamp, sub, stands, cabels, etc) you're going to spend a lot more on other things. At least it seems most people into audio do.

Seconding your sentiments on the 201s though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

So heres my setup:

106" pulldown widescreen
aperion audio 10" sub
phillips DVD player
5-disc cd changer

I hate to sound like some type of elitist snob but 106" Projection and no HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? :cry:

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

Yeah, I just looked up those amps. They SERIOUSLY outclass your speakers and receiver. The Anthem will be a better match. And you've spent that much, have a nice TV and yet no HD-DVD or BluRay?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Os Furoris posted:

Upgrade potential maybe? When I plan to upgrade my system I'll probably spend about as much on the amp as the speakers, so if I outgrow them I can just replace speakers.

If you think about it adding up all the stuff in the chain (Transport, DAC, Amp, Preamp, sub, stands, cabels, etc) you're going to spend a lot more on other things. At least it seems most people into audio do.

Seconding your sentiments on the 201s though.

The problem with amps is i dont think they make more than 10% of a sound difference. If a speaker is power hungry and you want to turn it up then buy a nice amp, because it certainly lowers distortion at higher levels, but it doesnt really "change" the sound. I have an emotiva LPA-1 which was $450, my monitor audios were $900. My next speakers will probably be $3,000 or so, and i still plan on keeping this amp, because it has a solid 125w per channel, and unless the speakers are horribly inefficient then i will still be able to play them loud.

Pibborando San posted:

Yeah, I just looked up those amps. They SERIOUSLY outclass your speakers and receiver. The Anthem will be a better match. And you've spent that much, have a nice TV and yet no HD-DVD or BluRay?

To be honest he has a 720p 46" sony lcd projection, if i were him i wouldnt adopt an hd format yet either.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 3, 2007

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Corbet posted:

I hate to sound like some type of elitist snob but 106" Projection and no HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? :cry:

Who said you had to have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player to watch HD movies?

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Omegaslast posted:

To be honest he has a 720p 46" sony lcd projection, if i were him i wouldnt adopt an hd format yet either.

I have his same TV but in the 55" flavor, and while HD looks better and more needed the bigger it is, my HD-DVD drive makes a MASSIVE difference over vanilla DVD. I have side by sides, and it is overwhelming.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bEatmstrJ posted:

Who said you had to have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player to watch HD movies?

Well, I'd say currently the best possibility of wastching HD movies is a Blu-Ray/HD DVD player and a Netflix membership. I guess my Cable Company absolutely sucks... I pay $15 extra a month for some HD channels and get like 8. The other option would be some type of On Demand, which would be pretty costly in the long run.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

The problem with amps is i dont think they make more than 10% of a sound difference.

I agree with that. I think your source (DAC), and pre-amp units are much more important for the sound QUALITY. I don't think I'm going to be parting with my Rotel RB-980BX for a good while.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Corbet posted:

Because unless you want to lock into the HD-dvd camp a blueray player is almost half the price of the projector itself for a limited library. I have hundreds of DVD's, a projector, and I dont see myself going with HD-DVD or Blueray until their libraries stop sucking or the players drop in price.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I think a lot of us are waiting for the format war to end before we chuck down some cash on a player that could be obsolete.

For now, I'm content with watching standard dvds upconverted and if I want to orgasm from the picture quality, I watch HD TV.

Jayx77
Sep 5, 2004

NO! JUMP THE OTHER WAY!!!

bEatmstrJ posted:

So heres my setup:

106" pulldown widescreen
aperion audio 10" sub
phillips DVD player
5-disc cd changer

Infocus SP5000 720p projector
Mirage Omnisat V2 rear speakers

And in the bedroom (pardon my mess)

Westinghouse 37" 1080p
Yamaha HTR5930 receiver
Toshiba SDK860 HDMI upscaling DVD player
PS2
Wii
Infinity TSS-1100 surround system

Also in the bedroom:

Nice computer
Dell 2005FPW monitor
Mackie 32x8 mixer

MAME must absolutely rock on a 106" screen...

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Jayx77 posted:

MAME must absolutely rock on a 106" screen...

You bet your rear end it does.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge
Edit: Got my Panasonic AX100. It's awesome. Pics to follow when I set it up properly (ceiling mount, etc)

phunkdust fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 15, 2007

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...
With the arrival of my new TV, my setup is complete.

Sharp LC-42D64U (link)
Polk M10 Bookshelf Speakers (link)
Bush Furniture VS44850-03 (link)

Comcast DVR (Motorola Dual Tuner)
Insignia NS-R2000 200W 2.0 Receiver (link)

Wii
Xbox 360

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut
Unfortunately I don't have any pics (because I spent all my money on this poo poo!) but here is my setup:

TV: Panasonic TH-42PX6U (:love: costco) 42" plasma
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins DM601 S3s on matching B&W stands
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-516 (about to replace with a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A v2 stereo integrated amplifier which shipped yesterday :woop: )
Xbox 360
Belkin PF30 power conditioner
DirecTV HD receiver

I also have a pair of Usher S-520 bookshelf speakers that are absolutely phenomenal speakers but little use for them at the moment as I don't really have a need/desire for multichannel audio, nor do I have the funds. All in all I think it's pretty decent for a broke-rear end college student. Next in line to purchase is a CD player, I'm thinking the Rotel 1072 or the matching Cambridge 540C.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
After getting my TV back after it taking 3 loving months to get repaired, I am now able to enjoy my full setup and play my 360 whenever I want.

32" Wolff(no-name brand) LCD TV, 1080i
Xbox 360
DVD Rack

Nothing real fancy like dedicated sound/speakers, but it certainly gets the job done.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Acc-Risk posted:

What stand is that? Looks great.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bought a new TV and stand over the weekend and thought I would finally post in this thread.

The old setup:

The new:

Bonus rear surround pictures:

So here is my setup:
TV: Sony Bravia 60" SXRD
Receiver: Denon 3805
Video Game/DVD/Blu Ray: PS3, PS2
Satellite Receiver: Directv HR-20

Speakers:
Front L, R: Paradigm Millenia 200s
Center: Paradigm Millenia 20
Surround L, R: Paradigm Titans
Rear L, R: Paradigm Atoms
Sub: Paradigm PS-1200

BDI Stand

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

What stand is that? Looks great.

Best Buy... :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8193554&type=product&id=1165609791326

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Also, which HK is that? Any chance of some more pictures? I'm trying to decide how the silver on it would look in my predominately black set-up. In some pictures they look really bright silver, and in others they look almost gray.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

Finally got out of apartment living and in a house now.
This is my current AV setup

Panasonic TH50PZ77U 50" Plasma
Denon AVR887 Receiver
Samsung DVDHD860 DVD player
JVC somethingsomething VCR
Nintendo Wii Gamecube NES
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 2
Z-line ZEN5BO50M stand

Boston VR2 Towers
Boston CR67 Bookshelf
Boston VRC Center
Velodyne VRP12

Adding HD Tivo sometime in November.
Didn't notice the TV tilting until taking the pictures. Hard to notice when sitting in front of it I guess. After checking out some of your setups I feel like my space is really cluttered with stuff.
Some other room shots:

Blankspot fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 16, 2007

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

Also, which HK is that? Any chance of some more pictures? I'm trying to decide how the silver on it would look in my predominately black set-up. In some pictures they look really bright silver, and in others they look almost gray.

The 600 and 700 series are a brushed aluminum face, so there's your bright silver. Anything below that is grey plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliegenfischen
Jan 24, 2004

Acc-Risk posted:

The 600 and 700 series are a brushed aluminum face, so there's your bright silver. Anything below that is grey plastic.

i have 445. it is brushed aluminum.