Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlvianScientist
Oct 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
This is houdini,

He's 11 weeks old today. He sleeps in my closet and runs around the house, but cant use the stairs so he's usually upstairs. He watches TV with me downstairs when I carry him down the stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

AlvianScientist posted:

Too adorable!

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I very rarely venture into Pet Island but I did today, and this thread has me interested in cube cages.

My family back in Washington has a rabbit that I found (it ran out in front of my car one day, and I caught it and brought it home). We had a pretty small cage for it at first, but it fit it just fine. It kept getting bigger, so I bought two really large cages (relative to the rabbits size), cut them up and put them together. Which worked great, but she's kept growing.

She now probably weighs almost 10 pounds. She's loving huge, and does not fit inside her rabbit house anymore (she flips it over and sits in it like a bowl). The cage isn't "cruelly small", but I wish she had more running and playing space (instead, we just let her run around the house a couple times a week and attack/get attacked by the kittens).

I'd like to build her a new cage next time I'm home on vacation because I love building poo poo and it seems like she needs one. Here are my concerns:

a) With the cube cage, how do you get the waste out? Her current ones have slide out trays, which work great. Makes for very easy cleaning.(Edit: Oh, it looks like there's a litter box in one of the cages. This rabbit is about 4 years old now, is it too late to litter box train it? It likes to play in the cats litter box when it's in the house.)

b) Where's the door on the cube cages? I can't seem to spot one.
c) What stops the rabbit from crapping/peeing on the carpet on the "third floor"? Nothing?
d) How expensive are the cube cages?

Rrail fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 8, 2007

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

[EDIT] Rrail: My rabbit started using the litterbox immediately without needing any encouragement. He'll drop a pellet in or around the cage on occasion but I don't think that can be avoided. He's never peed outside of the box. He still knows many ways to make a mess but at least not this way.

alucinor posted:

It's very hard to learn this, basically it takes time and observation. There are a few guides that are about 50% humor and 50% accurate.

The dancing (I always interpreted that noise as "whuh whuh whuh") is PAY ATTENTION TO ME. In an intact male it may mean "I am getting ready to rape your feet".

Nose nudging - a (neutered) rabbit only ever wants two things - food and petting. Nudging is probably for petting, nipping for food.

Interestingly, the licking isn't affection so much as an attempt to get you to engage in allogrooming: I lick you, now you lick (pet) me. A rabbit who licks is more submissive than one who just lowers his head until he gets petted - typically in a bonded pair, the sub does most of the grooming and the dom just sits there and enjoys it.
Thanks, those links were very helpful. I'm actually a little surprised my rabbit hasn't done any humping so far, but maybe 13 weeks is too young for that.

He'll usually lick me when I pet him so I guess the relationship is fifty-fifty. And he's got a third possible meaning for nudging me: wanting me to get out of the way so he can run circles around my room. My rabbit's so versatile.

And because I don't want to be out-cuted here's a better picture of him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 8, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Rrail posted:

a) With the cube cage, how do you get the waste out? Her current ones have slide out trays, which work great. Makes for very easy cleaning.

c) What stops the rabbit from crapping/peeing on the carpet on the "third floor"? Nothing?

a. Mine are litter box trained.

b. I just made a round pen, no level or anything. I use the clips that are on the ends of leashes to clip the two ends of the pen together

c. Again, litter trained.

d. Box of cubes = ~$14 + $2 for zip ties + carpet

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

girlscoutdropout posted:

d. Box of cubes = ~$14 + $2 for zip ties + carpet

Any idea of an online store you could point me at? I'd like to order some and have them there for my arrival in January.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Rrail posted:

Any idea of an online store you could point me at? I'd like to order some and have them there for my arrival in January.

I've only seen them at Target.

http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-S...se=3665671&rh=k%3Acubes%2Cn%3A3665671&page=1

They're more expensive online.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Deceptor101 posted:

When she's running around in the room, has she come out of her cage on her own? Or do you take her out. I noticed this had a huge effect on Annie and her peeing places she shouldn't. In her old cage I had to take her out of it, so she couldn't enter and exit freely, so her mind treated wherever she was as a "new home" and she was forced to find/make a new litterbox wherever she was. Ever since she's done all the exploring and mapped out the routes in her head, she's never done anything outside of the cage.

As far as the bored/depressed thing, I had Annie in a lovely little cage (wish I'd known better before spending 70$ on it) for at least 2 months, and her only out time was in the yard or in my lap. I could tell she was a little depressed, but my situation didn't allow me to do anything else. Once I finished the cube cage she seemed to just bound back immediately and she was so much friendlier and happier. If your time frame isn't too long,I'd say just do the best you can for now, and she should be alright. As far as toys go, since she likes pants, have you tried buying some 2$ ones from a thrift shop and seeing if she likes them despite not being on you? Cheap popular items in my house are pinecones, toilet paper/paper towel rolls, and apple twigs which I made myself. What size cage does she have right now anyways? That could make a huge difference for this transitional period.

She definitely comes out on her own. I'll open the door and back up a foot or two and she almost immediately leaps out. I think also my room is 'too big' and I just recently set up another litter box and she hasn't quite figured that one out yet (she chills in it like she flops in her main litter box in her cage though, so maybe).

As for pants; I'm afraid if I give her "toy" pants to chew on, she won't really distinguish between which pants are okay to chew on and which are not, and I don't need "fashionable" tears in my jeans. :) My roommates and I don't go through toilet paper or paper towels fast enough for her to tear through the rolls.

Her cage is like one foot and change by 2 and a half feet or so (I'm bad at eyeballing measurements) and it's high enough that her nose barely pokes over the top edge when I open the top. Her litter box is one of those corner ones and it takes over one corner, but she has more than enough room to sprawl on the inside. I'm not sure if that qualifies as too small still, though.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good
a) With the cube cage, how do you get the waste out? Her current ones have slide out trays, which work great. Makes for very easy cleaning.(Edit: Oh, it looks like there's a litter box in one of the cages. This rabbit is about 4 years old now, is it too late to litter box train it? It likes to play in the cats litter box when it's in the house.)

I think litter training is still well worth a try at this point. Holly was almost 3 when we started litter training her and she took to it just fine. If you still have problems, most people use coroplast for the flooring (you can buy it cheaply at sign stores) which will give you a plasticky bottom to the cage you can just wipe clean. I would still try to litter train first though, and make sure you aren't using cat litter but something like Carefresh or Feline Pine. You can read more about litter training on the HRS website that's been linked over and over in this thread.

The doors are built in and in my pictures shown as closed with carabiners. They cost about $.99 and are quite effective.

Most rabbits will habitually crap and pee in the same spot, so if you litter train them that helps. My boys will sometimes leave little territorial poops on the top floor but that's not such a big deal.

I spent about $65 on the boys' 2-story cage including the carpeting, it took 2 boxes of the cubes from Target, 2 supportive dowels, a container of zip ties, and 2 carabiners. I used the boxes that the cubes came in to reinforce the floors. Holly's 3-story cage cost a bit more because it was another box of cubes plus it was my first time building one, so I spent too much on the initial carpeting (FYI cage builders - Walmart has a perfectly sized rug in several colors that fits in a 2x3 cube floor for $13 or so).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What kind of pellets does everyone feed their buns? And other than grass and pellets and veges, are there any other staples that need to be met? I ask because Momo has no interest in most vegetables and he doesn't seem to eat any grass at all.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

TheDeadKnow posted:

What kind of pellets does everyone feed their buns? And other than grass and pellets and veges, are there any other staples that need to be met? I ask because Momo has no interest in most vegetables and he doesn't seem to eat any grass at all.

When you say "grass" do you mean hay? Timothy hay is the biggest staple of a rabbit's diet. I feed Kaytee's Timothy Complete pellets.

impelled
May 5, 2006
Phascolarctos cinereus
For those with adult bunnies, how much did you spend to get them neutered?

When I took Lily for her general exam, the vet estimated that it would cost up to $340 for the spay / medication / overnight stay. They're excellent vets, but I can't help but feel like that's an outrageous price.

And a couple of pictures for cuteness:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

TheDeadKnow posted:

I buy Oxbow Timothy pellets. Lately my buns have not gotten more than a tablespoon of pellets per day unless I couldn't make it to the store for fresh greens. Sometimes I treat them to that pet grass stuff - I think it's wheat grass, but only when it's on sale. Otherwise they just get a lot of greens for dinner and fresh Oxbow Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass(it's dried like the hay) daily.

My rabbits aren't too picky about veggies, but sometimes you have to go through 4 or 5 to find one they like. Examples of favorites are: Parsley(Italian and Curly), cilantro, green peppers, apples, mango and carrot greens. I'll lose a finger if my hands get in the way of those and my bunnies. Other items they like: carrots, cucumber, broccoli(stems especially), spinach, basil, pear, parsley, mustard and collard greens and more. Every week I just buy 5 or 6 items from what I listed, and switch it up for the next week based on availability.

If your rabbit isn't eating veg or hay much, it may be due to the pellets. Pellets are to bunnies like Friskies/Meow Mix is to kitties. Junk food. How much of the pellets do you feed Momo and how often? My rabbits had always been given 1/4C pellets once per day, and an ample supply of hay and grasses. I notice that Murphy doesn't enjoy hay unless it smells very fresh. However, I don't give in to the "puppy" eyes, no matter how starving he may act. At dinnertime these days, he'll knock over the veg bowl to get to the pellet dish and scarf them down first, then pout before eating his veggies.

impelled posted:

For spaying, Debbie is going to cost me roughly $270(iirc). Murphy was half that to get neutered. Girls cost more because it's a more invasive procedure, but don't be afraid to call around. I got prices ranging from $180 up to $350, and while I'd like to go the cheaper route, I'm going to just stick with their regular vet because I already like and trust them with my rabbits.

Windy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 8, 2007

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

When you say "grass" do you mean hay? Timothy hay is the biggest staple of a rabbit's diet. I feed Kaytee's Timothy Complete pellets.

This is the same stuff that I use, but perhaps I should be feeding less of this and more grass/timothy/orchard hay?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Windy posted:

My rabbits aren't too picky about veggies, but sometimes you have to go through 4 or 5 to find one they like. Examples of favorites are: Parsley(Italian and Curly), cilantro, green peppers, apples, mango and carrot greens. I'll lose a finger if my hands get in the way of those and my bunnies. Other items they like: carrots, cucumber, broccoli(stems especially), spinach, basil, pear, parsley, mustard and collard greens and more. Every week I just buy 5 or 6 items from what I listed, and switch it up for the next week based on availability.

My bunny loves the soft, sweet part of honeydew the best. After that she will deign to eat spinach and cilantro and carrots. :)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

impelled posted:

I had two foster boys that cost $90/each, I think they said a spay was $120.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Rrail posted:

does the cage have a wire bottom? Rabbits don't have any protection on their feet to keep them from getting sore hawks. They shouldn't be kept in a cage that has a wire bottom unless they have more room to sit / stand on something that's not wire than they do the wire.

making Bitsy and Paterson a cage was a lot of fun. Now they're pretty much 100% freerun so the cage is just symbolic for Bitsy, as she really likes to sit in it when she gets freaked out / wants to be protected. In fact, she's protected right now. Maybe she wants to be a goon :paranoid:

quote:

I had two foster boys that cost $90/each, I think they said a spay was $120.

lucky. I spent so much on Bitsy at the vet because of a mistake that THEY made. They ended up giving me 150$ in vet bills for free but her spay was probably about 350$. Paterson's neuter was about 230$ but I opted to have them have some kind of emergency IV just in case because I'm a crazy mama.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

luscious posted:

lucky. I spent so much on Bitsy at the vet because of a mistake that THEY made. They ended up giving me 150$ in vet bills for free but her spay was probably about 350$. Paterson's neuter was about 230$ but I opted to have them have some kind of emergency IV just in case because I'm a crazy mama.

Yeah, my two buns came spayed/neutered when I adopted them. I probably would of gone "all out" if it was them I was getting fixed rather than the foster buns I had. They were sweet, but I just paid the adoption fee from the shelter a couple days before and didn't have hundreds of dollars to drop on them. I just wanted them neutered so they could be adopted, and they were. The surgeries went totally fine.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Rrail posted:

Four is not too late to littertrain. I trained a 10 year old who was outside on wire his whole life. He's still not perfect but it's an improvement over his first few months with me. You'll want to buy large, shallow rubbermaid storage bins to use as litterboxes (like 4"x12"x18") and you'll need several. One in each corner at least. Gradually you use smaller or less boxes until accidents only happen in the corner with a box.

Remember: The bigger the cage, the easier it will be to litter train him. Rabbits like to have a sense of being able to get away from their toilets, even if they paradoxically spend lots of time chilling in the box. A cage which forces the rabbit to be within 1' of his urine at all times, is almost always too small for litter training to be effective. The whole cage feels like a litterbox to him.

If you use coroplast as a cage base, any accidents clean up with paper towels and white vinegar. If you don't have access to coro, a scrap of linoleum works well. You can even use those floor protectors designed to go under office chairs. Coro just has the benefit of being made into a box so any urine accidents don't run off the edge.

The cat box makes me nervous: if you are using clay or clumping litter for the cat, the rabbit should NOT have access to it. If they ingest it, it will cause blockage and death. Use Carefresh, Yesterday's News, or Feline Pine for the rabbit boxes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

jesus. Bitsy and Paterson went into my purse, took out the form I needed that would let me be able to get an x-ray on my foot and loving ate it! IT WAS IN MY PURSE! WHAT THE gently caress! They absolutely left alone everything else I needed but noooo they don't want me to get the glass out of my foot. Thanks guys.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

luscious posted:

jesus. Bitsy and Paterson went into my purse, took out the form I needed that would let me be able to get an x-ray on my foot and loving ate it! IT WAS IN MY PURSE! WHAT THE gently caress! They absolutely left alone everything else I needed but noooo they don't want me to get the glass out of my foot. Thanks guys.

It's amazing how bunnies are little mind-readers like that. "Hmmm...what's the most important piece of Mom's paperwork could we eat? That one!"

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I just got back from my first vacation from my rabbits and their cage was a disaster! Apparently my roommate (who I've educated fairly well on buns) just did the basic minimum. Hay was EVERYWHERE in my room, especially along the path from the bag to the cage, the floor of the cage was also covered in hay and one of the litterboxes had been moved from the corner (oh god no) so the entire room smelled heavily of bun pee and i spent a good hour cleaning it last night. I guess they really do love that corner. One thing that's nice is they both seemed very glad to see me, although Ben is still very skittish sometimes. Annie seems to be losing some weight too,it's great to see her finally making progress. You guys have any tips for taking a vacation from your bunnies? (I won't be for a while, but it wouldn't hurt for everyone to know) I ziplocked the fresh veggies in freezer bags and labeled them so my roommate would know how much of what per day.

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

He's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya.
I want a rabbit so, so bad. Reading this thread (and Rabbit.org :cool: ) makes me think that I could totally handle a bunny. Or two. :3: However, there may be a potential problem. We really wanted to adopt a greyhound...I know dogs and rabbits CAN be okay, but would a greyhound just be right out of the question? I didn't think they really had a high prey drive, most ex-racers are really lazy. But there is that whole "bred for hundreds of years to chase things" issue. Are greys smart enough to connect "white thing I used to case around the ring" to "bunny"? Should I stick with just one or the other here? I want to make sure everyone would be okay and happy in the homestead. As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a rabbit, I think I'd want my grey more. Crap. :( Help me out, rabbity goons.

Side note: If rabbits would not mix well with greys, how would a more confined "caged" animal do? I really like guinea pigs too, and I got the impression they tend to hang out more in their cages than house rabbits. Or is this just "choose one or the other?" I want too many animals. :saddowns:

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Queen of Roses posted:

I want a rabbit so, so bad. Reading this thread (and Rabbit.org :cool: ) makes me think that I could totally handle a bunny. Or two. :3: However, there may be a potential problem. We really wanted to adopt a greyhound...I know dogs and rabbits CAN be okay, but would a greyhound just be right out of the question? I didn't think they really had a high prey drive, most ex-racers are really lazy. But there is that whole "bred for hundreds of years to chase things" issue. Are greys smart enough to connect "white thing I used to case around the ring" to "bunny"? Should I stick with just one or the other here? I want to make sure everyone would be okay and happy in the homestead. As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a rabbit, I think I'd want my grey more. Crap. :( Help me out, rabbity goons.

Side note: If rabbits would not mix well with greys, how would a more confined "caged" animal do? I really like guinea pigs too, and I got the impression they tend to hang out more in their cages than house rabbits. Or is this just "choose one or the other?" I want too many animals. :saddowns:

Yeah, no matter how lazy a dog is, instincts are instincts. It would be a risky situation. The only way I would maybe consider it is if the rabbit had it's own rabbit-proof room that the greyhound would never be allowed in.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Yeah, no matter how lazy a dog is, instincts are instincts. It would be a risky situation. The only way I would maybe consider it is if the rabbit had it's own rabbit-proof room that the greyhound would never be allowed in.

I have 4 cats living with me and even though none of them are actual hunters (they just sit and look at the bunnies if they even care...) the fact that they are there scares the bunnies. I've had to tell my mom that I don't care if she doesn't want to eat the bunnies, Tigger the cat isn't allowed in there because rabbits can die of stress and they're inherently afraid of her.

remember that rabbits are prey animals and think like prey animals. Cats and dogs are predatory animals so they're okay living in proximity of each other. Rabbits, in my experience, not so much.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

You guys have any tips for taking a vacation from your bunnies?

I go on a couple long vacations each year(a week or two at a time) and have had great success with leaving them both with their vet. It costs a bit, $13 per rabbit each day, but that is for two cages due to their drat non-bonding. I can bring in all the toys, hides, food and hay and leave explicit instructions, and they are followed. Last time I left my sister in charge, I got a call at 12am in Florida about bites and bleeding and horrors. I tell my sis every time "never let both rabbits out at once. Ever. Even if there is a fire, separate carriers." It's like that kid in Gremlins.

Also, hay on the floor never bothered me. I vacuum the bunny room and cages every other day(some weeks daily) because it just gets everywhere. I've gotten used to the barn look.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Holy poo poo!
I just finished reading all 12 pages, started last night. Everyone has beautiful bunnies! I especially like Annie and Ben's story of love. Has anyone heard an update on Pickle?

I made a post a couple days ago about my new bunny Rory, but here is a picture of him for this thread:

We've had him since Saturday and I'm just thrilled out of my gourd to have a bunny again. I had a rabbit named Cinnabun who was quite an ambassador for the species when I was younger and always wanted another rabbit. I plan to get Rory a buddy in the future and am wishing we had something like Saveabunny here! The closest rescue is 6 hours away and our shelter (where Rory is from) doesn't get lots of bunnies.

I made his neuter appointment for next Wednesday (the 24th I believe), he will have a well bunny check up and then the surgery. The vet wants to keep him overnight, has anyone else had the vet want to keep the bunny overnight after a neuter? Cinnabun was neutered in 1995 and he got to come home that day, and this same vet neutered my boy rat in August and he came home that evening.

Nice to meet you all!

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

He's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Hmm. Well, maybe I can have a rabbit rompus room when we get a house. :3: Sucks that I have to wait, but ah well. I wouldn't want to get one and then have him/her be unhappy. Thanks for the advice, it looks like I'll just need to read/research for now, and hope to be somewhat authoritative on the little guys when a better opportunity arises. And ogle over other people's bunnies. :)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Moosephant posted:

Holy poo poo!
I just finished reading all 12 pages, started last night. Everyone has beautiful bunnies! I especially like Annie and Ben's story of love. Has anyone heard an update on Pickle?

Pickles the hamster?

I had to move out of that house but we (me and my ex-roommates) made the decision to leave him there because he was so used to that life and I wanted him to keep living the free life - something that would likely not happen any house but that one. They haven't been seeing a lot of him recently and my best friend thinks that he's dead. I still think that the little guy is kicking around and cleaning up under the stoves. Either way, I am happy with the life that he led, as I'm sure he is as well.

also, a while ago I took a look and no giant balls. Even though I call Pickles he, he's really a she.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Queen of Roses posted:

Thanks for the advice, it looks like I'll just need to read/research for now, and hope to be somewhat authoritative on the little guys when a better opportunity arises. And ogle over other people's bunnies. :)

Volunteer at a bunny rescue! They always need help, that's the best way to learn about bunnies anyways and get your bunny-fix until you can have one (preferbly two!) of your own!

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

girlscoutdropout posted:

Volunteer at a bunny rescue! They always need help, that's the best way to learn about bunnies anyways and get your bunny-fix until you can have one (preferbly two!) of your own!
You know, I always wanted to do this right here. That WOULD be my next step, but we've had a major turnaround. Get this:

So the fiance and I go and talk to our landlord about pets, and it turns out they changed the pet policy; instead of a $200 refundable pet DEPOSIT, they now require a $300 NON-refundable pet FEE. In addition to monthly "pet rent" of about $20 (for the size of a grey, anyway.) Guess how much a rabbit would incur? Not a single penny. Apparently, management considers them "caged animals" (of course they are! ;) ) and we don't have to pay squat for them. The lady mentioned she had a rabbit, and to watch out for it pulling carpet, but STILL maintained that they had no fee.

So my man, Mr. "I Don't Want Any Rodents" (I know rabbits aren't, that's just what I've had to deal with over here!) sits me down and asks, "Apparently, dogs are going to be really expensive here. So, would you be okay waiting on a dog until we get a house?" I sigh and agree. Gee, I really wanted a pet. Seeing my face, he kind of hesitantly asks, "So...can we get rabbits?" WHAT? "Well, I read those links you left me (ahem this thread, rabbit.org and the OP's rabbit guide) and...I think they're really cute and do-able with our situation, and I really want one now. They're like cats but better."

:dance:

So, anyone know of any rabbit rescues in the NC Triangle area? We definitely want two, and we definitely would like two that are already bonded. As much as I enjoy the rabbit love story in this thread, it seems like a lot of work! We're actually in Carrboro, but we could handle Raleigh, Durham, etc. in our search for homeless bunnies! :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Queen of Roses posted:

You know, I always wanted to do this right here. That WOULD be my next step, but we've had a major turnaround. Get this:

So the fiance and I go and talk to our landlord about pets, and it turns out they changed the pet policy; instead of a $200 refundable pet DEPOSIT, they now require a $300 NON-refundable pet FEE. In addition to monthly "pet rent" of about $20 (for the size of a grey, anyway.) Guess how much a rabbit would incur? Not a single penny. Apparently, management considers them "caged animals" (of course they are! ;) ) and we don't have to pay squat for them. The lady mentioned she had a rabbit, and to watch out for it pulling carpet, but STILL maintained that they had no fee.

So my man, Mr. "I Don't Want Any Rodents" (I know rabbits aren't, that's just what I've had to deal with over here!) sits me down and asks, "Apparently, dogs are going to be really expensive here. So, would you be okay waiting on a dog until we get a house?" I sigh and agree. Gee, I really wanted a pet. Seeing my face, he kind of hesitantly asks, "So...can we get rabbits?" WHAT? "Well, I read those links you left me (ahem this thread, rabbit.org and the OP's rabbit guide) and...I think they're really cute and do-able with our situation, and I really want one now. They're like cats but better."

:dance:

So, anyone know of any rabbit rescues in the NC Triangle area? We definitely want two, and we definitely would like two that are already bonded. As much as I enjoy the rabbit love story in this thread, it seems like a lot of work! We're actually in Carrboro, but we could handle Raleigh, Durham, etc. in our search for homeless bunnies! :3:

rabbits that are cared for well will live between 8-10 years. So if you're planning on getting a house in that timespan maybe waiting would be worth it so you don't have to decide between a dog and a rabbit when the time comes. Also, you might want to look into tenant laws because in Canada that deposit and even what the landlord is saying is illegal.

I'm not trying to sway you against getting a rabbit because they're amazing and I love mine without a doubt. But they are very. different than other animals and in some ways I wish that I had waited two years so I could have gotten a cat. Like I said, I love them to bits and I wouldn't change my situation now but if you're also set on getting a dog then it might be worth the wait / fostering them in the meantime.

HappyBee
Oct 3, 2006
The happiest bee in all the land
I'm at uni right now, but I'm going home tonight for a week and I finally get to see my bunny!

Meet Fluffernutter, aka Nutterbaby, aka Nutter, aka bunnybaby, aka bubbie.

Nutter loves being petted, adored, cuddled and fed! She's a little piggy, who freaks over everything from sherbet to popcorn (microwave only, please).

She's also the baby of the house. Even my dad baby-talks to her and spends his free time fulfilling her every whim.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Queen of Roses posted:

Aww yay! I'm glad you are adopting from a rescue and getting a pair! Luscious is right in saying rabbits live 8-10 years (but I'm sure you've read that already if you've been all over rabbit.org) so just be ready for that. Eventually I will get a dog, because I've never not had a dog in my life until I moved out to college. But the bunnies (and sugar gliders) come first, so when I do get a dog it will have to be a rabbit-friendly one. I just don't want you moving and then decided the dog is more important and putting the little furbutts back up for adoption. It happens.

Also, before you buy anything, make sure you contact the rescue and make sure if they have any rules on what to cage your rabbits in. The lady I adopted from requires they live in a minimum of a 5' x 5' round circle pen on carpet. I was so glad I didn't spend the money on a cage or anything before meeting with her.

She also had me do a phone interview, an interview in person, and did a house visit to make sure I wasn't hiding any children or large rabbit-eating dogs. She was very intense, but just is passionate about the well-being of bunnies. I now help with her rescue and she started going to school at my school and drops by to check on them every now and then. It was intimidating at first, but now I'm used to it.

Keep us posted! I'll try to find some rescues in your area. I'm in TN so I really know nowthing of that area. haha.

Edit: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC425.html this "Bunny Matters" Rescue seems to have lots of buns, they are in Raleigh.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC116.html (Kernersville, NC *don't know how far away this is from you*)

I'll keep looking!

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 19, 2007

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Queen of Roses posted:

Goddamn. I just left the Triangle and am still running ACR&S down there, remotely.

We don't have any rescue buns right now because I don't have any bunny foster homes, but I can connect you with my NC adoption coordinator and she can help you out. Post your email, or look at any the URLs of my posted photos, and contact me through the email on my site.

Do NOT go to Bunny Matters. I have serious problems with them. Among other things, they don't spay and neuter prior to placement, which is crucial. They also don't always provide pre-adoption vet care, preferring to rely on "aura adjustment". :bang:

Best bets would be Triad Rabbit Rescue, Cape Fear Rabbit Rescue, or the SPCA in Garner. I can give you the low-down on what to expect from all of them, as well as help you decide what pair would be best for you given your situation.

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

luscious posted:

rabbits that are cared for well will live between 8-10 years. So if you're planning on getting a house in that timespan maybe waiting would be worth it so you don't have to decide between a dog and a rabbit when the time comes. Also, you might want to look into tenant laws because in Canada that deposit and even what the landlord is saying is illegal.

I'm not trying to sway you against getting a rabbit because they're amazing and I love mine without a doubt. But they are very. different than other animals and in some ways I wish that I had waited two years so I could have gotten a cat. Like I said, I love them to bits and I wouldn't change my situation now but if you're also set on getting a dog then it might be worth the wait / fostering them in the meantime.
Oh, yes, I know. I was planning on giving the rabbits their own room once we get a house that would be off-limits to any canine buddies we might acquire. Who knows, maybe we'll like rabbits so much we wouldn't want a dog. But if we get rabbits first, I would definitely want to make sure they're taken into consideration first. Thanks for the warning, though. It is something to consider.

Illegal? Really? This apartment's pet laws seemed consistent with what we had been seeing in the other apartments in the area; actually, ours seemed unusually tolerant in comparison, which was what helped convince us to choose this one in particular. What are the laws in Canada?

girlscoutdropout posted:

But the bunnies (and sugar gliders) come first, so when I do get a dog it will have to be a rabbit-friendly one. I just don't want you moving and then decided the dog is more important and putting the little furbutts back up for adoption. It happens.
Basically, this. :)

girlscoutdropout posted:

Also, before you buy anything, make sure you contact the rescue and make sure if they have any rules on what to cage your rabbits in. The lady I adopted from requires they live in a minimum of a 5' x 5' round circle pen on carpet. I was so glad I didn't spend the money on a cage or anything before meeting with her.

She also had me do a phone interview, an interview in person, and did a house visit to make sure I wasn't hiding any children or large rabbit-eating dogs. She was very intense, but just is passionate about the well-being of bunnies.
Yeah, we were thinking of constructing the wire cube/zip tie habitat OR getting one of those puppy circle pens, are they called X-pens? It looks kind of like a playpen for babies. Thanks for the heads-up, will definitely check with rescues before investing money on anything. When my family bought our Sheltie, our breeder did much of the same procedure, minus the house call, so that kind of intensity about pets is normal for me. :)

I was looking at this site: http://www.raleighrodentrescue.org but there's this big disclaimer about how they don't keep rabbits. But there's rabbits featured. :confused: I should lob them an email and ask what's up with that.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Queen of Roses posted:

Yeah, we were thinking of constructing the wire cube/zip tie habitat OR getting one of those puppy circle pens, are they called X-pens? It looks kind of like a playpen for babies. Thanks for the heads-up, will definitely check with rescues before investing money on anything. When my family bought our Sheltie, our breeder did much of the same procedure, minus the house call, so that kind of intensity about pets is normal for me. :)

You can also make your own X-pen out of leftover grids. Much cheaper than the puppy pens! My NC coordinator makes grid cages and can help you with this, or just show you where to get materials.

Queen of Roses posted:

I was looking at this site: http://www.raleighrodentrescue.org but there's this big disclaimer about how they don't keep rabbits. But there's rabbits featured. :confused: I should lob them an email and ask what's up with that.

3R is a good rescue, but they don't have much rabbit experience. She doesn't have any rabbit-friendly foster homes, but she has one or two herself that she got stuck with from local shelters, and it's a problem because she has terriers who are very prey driven. She doesn't spay or neuter and doesn't litter train, but otherwise her animals are well cared for. So as long as you don't mind doing that stuff yourself, she'd be a good choice. She needs those bunnies gone before her terriers go nuts. :(

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

alucinor posted:

You can also make your own X-pen out of leftover grids. Much cheaper than the puppy pens! My NC coordinator makes grid cages and can help you with this, or just show you where to get materials.
Oh really? Do tell. :)

alucinor posted:

3R is a good rescue, but they don't have much rabbit experience. She doesn't have any rabbit-friendly foster homes, but she has one or two herself that she got stuck with from local shelters, and it's a problem because she has terriers who are very prey driven. She doesn't spay or neuter and doesn't litter train, but otherwise her animals are well cared for. So as long as you don't mind doing that stuff yourself, she'd be a good choice. She needs those bunnies gone before her terriers go nuts. :(
Oh. :( It would be really great to have the buns already litter trained, but is it a pain in the neck to train then yourself? It seems like a hassle, but we REALLY love the idea of House Rabbits so we'd struggle on. Expect many posts about that. ;)

Yeah, and spay/neutering is a given. That's another question, vets. Are all vets trained to deal with rabbits, or will we need to find a specialist of sorts? Any leads on that if so?

Edit: As an aside, look at these guys on Petfinder. :3: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7608998

Queen of Roses fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 19, 2007

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

alucinor posted:

Goddamn. I just left the Triangle and am still running ACR&S down there, remotely.

We don't have any rescue buns right now because I don't have any bunny foster homes, but I can connect you with my NC adoption coordinator and she can help you out. Post your email, or look at any the URLs of my posted photos, and contact me through the email on my site.

Do NOT go to Bunny Matters. I have serious problems with them. Among other things, they don't spay and neuter prior to placement, which is crucial. They also don't always provide pre-adoption vet care, preferring to rely on "aura adjustment". :bang:

Best bets would be Triad Rabbit Rescue, Cape Fear Rabbit Rescue, or the SPCA in Garner. I can give you the low-down on what to expect from all of them, as well as help you decide what pair would be best for you given your situation.
Wow, I didn't even see your post until now. Thank you! My email is Tiamat24 at hotmail.com. We appreciate you help, big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Queen of Roses posted:

Oh really? Do tell. :)

Most of my rescue buns are in open-topped pens, 2 grids high by 2.5 grids wide by 6 grids long. Get some zip ties at the hardware store and you build it pretty much like sewing - it also folds up into an accordion shape for storage when you're done.

Queen of Roses posted:

Oh. :( It would be really great to have the buns already litter trained, but is it a pain in the neck to train then yourself? It seems like a hassle, but we REALLY love the idea of House Rabbits so we'd struggle on. Expect many posts about that. ;)

It can be a slight pain, but mostly they *want* to use a litterbox so you just have to go slow about giving them access to more and more space, until you are sure that they "get it". Most failures come from "I gave my bunny one litterbox and then let her have the run of the entire house and she doesn't seem to know where the box is!" Read up on the litterbox page on rabbit.org; or I can give you some tips from personal experience.

Queen of Roses posted:

Yeah, and spay/neutering is a given. That's another question, vets. Are all vets trained to deal with rabbits, or will we need to find a specialist of sorts? Any leads on that if so?

No, they are NOT all trained to deal with rabbits, so yes, you absolutely need a specialist, and be prepared to travel to find one. Here is my list of recommended vets. Actually I need to take Dr Ward off that list, he's retired. Frankly you should go to A&E regardless of cost and distance. I think they are moved/are moving into Briar Creek just off 540, so that should be pretty convenient from almost anywhere. They are the people I took my personal pets to as well as the most difficult rescue cases. They cost more but they are absolutely worth it.

I'd strongly suggest getting a rabbit who is *already* spayed or neutered. It just makes your life so much harder to deal with either intact rabbit pee-marking, or post-op care (stasis etc) right after getting a first bun.

I'll email you links to the folks you should talk to. :)