Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

ChimpyMonkey posted:

Dear Cisco,

Please make a working bug toolkit, with accurate data for current IOS releases.

Thank you,
The Internet

Anyone actually seen the "new" bug toolkit work? I keep trying but all I ever get is this error: "Error occurred while fetching bug summary from database. Please try later."

I've used it to find (and even monitor!) bug IDs that TAC claim are affecting us, but trying to find anything yourself is usually a losing proposition unless it's sev1/sev2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChimpyMonkey
Sep 11, 2001

Well, of course we're going to throw poo at him!

Girdle Wax posted:

I've used it to find (and even monitor!) bug IDs that TAC claim are affecting us, but trying to find anything yourself is usually a losing proposition unless it's sev1/sev2.

Oh I know all about hidden bugs etc. I'm refering to the "new" bug toolkit simply not working 90% of the time. I guess they've had some feedback indicating this already, seeing as the page now has this:

"System Message: We are aware of intermittent tool instability, failed database connections, and blank results when attempting to view bug details and are working hard to resolve these issues. If you experience these issues, please try again later. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience."

Its a real pain in the butt, the old bug toolkit doesn't list the IOS revision I am running, and the new one doesn't work most of the time. Makes it kind of difficult to see if the issue I am having is a known bug or a new one.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

I'd question why you were doing that (why pass through those switches at all.)

But otherwise if you did some kind of transparent pass-through of those switches and went directly to the Core switch you could get link-aggregation. Of course the disadvantage is that you can't directly talk to any of the devices connected to either of those pass-through switches. It would require you to configure the ports you were connected to on the switches into a transparent link. I'm not sure of the actual term.

I just figured out that you can't do that with ethernet switches. So ignore that advice.

You can with frame relay though :v:

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Does anyone know how the expiration of the old CCNA tests is going to work? Like, if I take and pass the Intro test before it expires, but fail/don't take the ICND test until after the old test expires, does the previous test still count, and you can just take the new ICND 2 test and still get your CCNA? Someone told me you could split the tests, old and new, and still be ok, but I don't know how sure he was.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Any opinions on ASA codebase 8.x versus 7.2.X? Lately the 7.2.X has been going nuts, but I'm not sure if the 8.X is stable enough for production usage.

Prent
Sep 18, 2003

The.

Panthrax posted:

Does anyone know how the expiration of the old CCNA tests is going to work? Like, if I take and pass the Intro test before it expires, but fail/don't take the ICND test until after the old test expires, does the previous test still count, and you can just take the new ICND 2 test and still get your CCNA? Someone told me you could split the tests, old and new, and still be ok, but I don't know how sure he was.

Just take the CCNA in 1 test! :)

dwarftosser
Sep 3, 2002

PLEASE LET ME SUCK YOUR COCK, BRETT!

jbusbysack posted:

Any opinions on ASA codebase 8.x versus 7.2.X? Lately the 7.2.X has been going nuts, but I'm not sure if the 8.X is stable enough for production usage.

We've been running 8.x for a little over a month, it's been stable for us. I like the 6.x ASDM alot better, so I think it's worth the upgrade for that alone.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

jwh posted:

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but Cisco came back to me finally and told me that, more or less, "IPSec client VPN termination against IOS is an afterthought," and that the recommended platform for client VPN termination is an ASA.

AT&T does large-scale virtualized VPN termination; what the hell are they using?

Just figured I'd come back and mention that after a conference call with Cisco last week, I've been told that AT&T does in fact use SPA's for their virtualized remote-access stuff, as someone had suggested.

Also, I was told that remote-access VPN on an IOS based platform isn't really a bad idea, provided you a). know what you're doing, b)., need the router functionality not presently available in the ASA code, or c). need fantastically huge pps (ala VPN SPA).

Needless to say, I feel a little better. At least I don't feel like I'm teetering on the edge of the cliff.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Has anyone here ever successfully used the Certificate Authority feature of IOS for DMVPN authentication? ISAKMP wildcards are a no go in this environment. TAC has been giving me a blank stare for weeks, and my SE's don't know anyone that's used it either.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Figured I'd try a slight change of venue:

Wanted: Network Engineer, Jersey City

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I looked through the thread and didn't find an exact answer to my question, but I could've missed it in the 17 pages, so if I did, sorry!

I'm trying to connect to my home network via vpn. I've tried two ways - Windows 2003 Remote Access Server with the Windows VPN client, and using my Cisco router (SOHO 91, 12.3(2)XC) as the endpoint with the Cisco VPN client (4.7).

First, the Windows route. The ACLs and NAT I'm using are here:

code:
ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.7.13 3389 interface Ethernet1 3389
ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.7.13 1723 interface Ethernet1 1723

ip access-list extended inlist
 permit udp any eq bootps any eq bootpc
 permit tcp any any eq 1723 log
 permit tcp any any eq 3389
 evaluate tmplist
 deny   tcp any any log
ip access-list extended outlist
 deny   tcp any any range 135 139 log
 deny   tcp any any eq 445 log
 permit ip any any reflect tmplist
192.168.7.13 is the RRAS server. Now, I'm able to make this connection internally, so I know the RRAS server's working fine. The problems appear when I try from the outside. The client connects, attempts to authenticate, and then fails with what appears to be a timeout. I'm almost certain I'm missing an ACL in there, but I have no idea what or where.

The second means - the Cisco route - works internally if I use the same above commands, and the following interface commands:

code:
interface Ethernet0
 ip address 192.168.7.1 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
 no cdp enable
 hold-queue 32 in
!
interface Ethernet1
 ip address dhcp client-id Ethernet1
 ip access-group inlist in
 ip access-group outlist out
 ip nat outside
 ip inspect myfw out
 duplex auto
 no cdp enable
 crypto map dynmap
It works internally by moving the crypto line on Eth1 (internet) to Eth0 (internal). I also remove the ACL for 1723 and the NAT for 1723. Problem is, from the outside, I can't even make a connection. Again, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I don't know what.

Sorry for the long post - I can provide more of the config if it helps. I'd honestly be happy with any means, I just want to figure out where I'm going wrong after being so close. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Ok - I got the Windows way working - I apparently needed a second NIC on the server. If anyone wouldn't mind explaining what I'm doing wrong on the Cisco side, I'd appreciate it, though. I can include any config pieces that I'm missing - just tell me what you need.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 16, 2007

casseopei
Jun 21, 2006
I'm having an issue with a cisco router running a CBAC firewall concerning passive ftp and I just know I'm doing some simple thing wrong, so I was hoping someone could help me out.

Inbound on an extended IP access list:
10 permit tcp any any eq ftp
20 permit tcp any any eq ftp-data
30 permit tcp any any eq www
40 deny ip any any log

Output on an extended IP access list: (this is just what autosecure popped in there)
10 deny tcp any any eq telnet log
20 deny tcp any any eq www log
30 deny tcp any any eq 22 log
40 permit ip any any log

Active FTP works, HTTP connections work, but when I try a passive ftp connection it logs in happily but then times out when it tries to actually send anything. As soon as I remove the contents of the Inbound access list it starts working again.

Anyone happen to see what I'm doing wrong?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

casseopei posted:

Inbound on an extended IP access list:
10 permit tcp any any eq ftp
20 permit tcp any any eq ftp-data

Anyone happen to see what I'm doing wrong?

Try
10 permit tcp any any eq ftp established
20 permit tcp any any eq ftp-data established

Passive mode uses "ephemeral" ports and the access list is doing it's job and blocking them...

casseopei
Jun 21, 2006

bort posted:

Try
10 permit tcp any any eq ftp established
20 permit tcp any any eq ftp-data established

Passive mode uses "ephemeral" ports and the access list is doing it's job and blocking them...

Thanks very much for the information, unfortunately it still doesn't work. I altered the above by replacing 10 and 20 with your entries and when that didn't work tried a second time by adding my old entries as 15 and 25.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Can you post this fw policy:

ip inspect myfw

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Tremblay posted:

ip inspect myfw

I assume you mean me - here's the list:

code:
ip inspect name myfw cuseeme timeout 3600
ip inspect name myfw ftp timeout 3600
ip inspect name myfw rcmd timeout 3600
ip inspect name myfw realaudio timeout 3600
ip inspect name myfw smtp timeout 3600
ip inspect name myfw tftp timeout 30
ip inspect name myfw udp timeout 15
ip inspect name myfw tcp timeout 3600
ip inspect name myfw h323 timeout 3600

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Doh. Sorry I'm retarded I meant the guy having FTP issues.

For your issue try pulling the ip nat outside off your internet facing interface and see if it works.

casseopei
Jun 21, 2006

Tremblay posted:

ip inspect myfw

I hope this is what you want: if not, just let me know, and thank you!

Session audit trail is enabled
Session alert is enabled
one-minute (sampling period) thresholds are [400:500] connections
max-incomplete sessions thresholds are [400:500]
max-incomplete tcp connections per host is 50. Block-time 0 minute.
tcp synwait-time is 30 sec -- tcp finwait-time is 5 sec
tcp idle-time is 14400 sec -- udp idle-time is 1800 sec
dns-timeout is 7 sec

Inspection Rule Configuration
cuseeme alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600
ftp alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600
http alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600
rcmd alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600
realaudio alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600
smtp max-data 20000000 alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600
tftp alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 30
udp alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 15
tcp alert is on audit-trail is on timeout 3600

EDIT:

The actual config file says:

ip inspect audit-trail
ip inspect udp idle-time 1800
ip inspect dns-timeout 7
ip inspect tcp idle-time 14400
ip inspect name autosec_inspect cuseeme timeout 3600
ip inspect name autosec_inspect ftp timeout 3600
ip inspect name autosec_inspect http timeout 3600
ip inspect name autosec_inspect rcmd timeout 3600
ip inspect name autosec_inspect realaudio timeout 3600
ip inspect name autosec_inspect smtp timeout 3600
ip inspect name autosec_inspect tftp timeout 30
ip inspect name autosec_inspect udp timeout 15
ip inspect name autosec_inspect tcp timeout 3600

casseopei fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 17, 2007

bort
Mar 13, 2003

casseopei posted:

Thanks very much for the information, unfortunately it still doesn't work. I altered the above by replacing 10 and 20 with your entries and when that didn't work tried a second time by adding my old entries as 15 and 25.

Hurf, that makes sense. You'll need some statement that explicitly allows the port negotiation. E.g.:
code:
access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq ftp
access-list 102 permit tcp any any gt 1024
That second line is stupid/dangerous, though. You probably want to lock it down to a host, e.g.
code:
access-list 102 permit tcp any host 192.168.1.100 eq ftp
access-list 102 permit tcp any host 192.168.1.100 gt 1024
This is an example of how PASV is set up. The negotiation in step 2/3 is what's not happening.

casseopei
Jun 21, 2006

bort posted:

Hurf, that makes sense. You'll need some statement that explicitly allows the port negotiation. E.g.:
code:
access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq ftp
access-list 102 permit tcp any any gt 1024
That second line is stupid/dangerous, though. You probably want to lock it down to a host, e.g.
code:
access-list 102 permit tcp any host 192.168.1.100 eq ftp
access-list 102 permit tcp any host 192.168.1.100 gt 1024
This is an example of how PASV is set up. The negotiation in step 2/3 is what's not happening.

Awesome! Thanks. From what I had read I kind of figured that was what was wrong, and I tried permit tcp any any gt 1023 established and it wouldn't work, but I just had to take established out of there. Rock on.

As an additional question, if (for example, whatever, it applies to everything)

permit tcp any any eq www

works, but

permit tcp any host 192.168.1.237 [that's the computer it's going to] eq www

doesn't work, what would you guess the issue is? In this example, I'm using

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.237 80 interface FastEthernet0/0 80

to get traffic to the computer.. am I doing something horribly wrong or just missing something?

Thank you again.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'd guess that your NAT rule restricting it to port 80 stops the return traffic from an HTTP request, which comes on a high port. Sort of the same problem as your passive mode issue. I'm having a difficult time visualizing your network setup, so I can't write a rule for you.

dwarftosser
Sep 3, 2002

casseopei posted:

Awesome! Thanks. From what I had read I kind of figured that was what was wrong, and I tried permit tcp any any gt 1023 established and it wouldn't work, but I just had to take established out of there. Rock on.

As an additional question, if (for example, whatever, it applies to everything)

permit tcp any any eq www

works, but

permit tcp any host 192.168.1.237 [that's the computer it's going to] eq www

doesn't work, what would you guess the issue is? In this example, I'm using

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.237 80 interface FastEthernet0/0 80

to get traffic to the computer.. am I doing something horribly wrong or just missing something?

Thank you again.

Your ACL needs to be for your outside address, not your inside.

ie, permit tcp any host <outside ip> eq www

Your NAT statement is already redirecting all your port 80 traffic to your internal address, so in your example there really is no functional or security difference between using the permit tcp any host or permit tcp any any command.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Note - I am not knowledgeable in Cisco at all, but I need to start learning fast!

Has anyone set up redundant/backup WAN connections using an ASA 5505 or a PIX? According to this config example, it's certainly possible, but this statement bothers me:

Cisco posted:

This configuration provides a relatively inexpensive way to ensure that outbound Internet access remains available to users behind the security appliance. As described in this document, this setup may not be suitable for inbound access to resources behind the security appliance. Advanced networking skills are required to achieve seamless inbound connections. These skills are not covered in this document.

I need to be able to have inbound access during a failover scenario. I don't know what they mean by "advanced networking skills", but in my mind, having the appropriate DNS entries, ACLs, and static NAT maps bound to the backup interface would provide what I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm/deny?

dwarftosser
Sep 3, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

I need to be able to have inbound access during a failover scenario. I don't know what they mean by "advanced networking skills", but in my mind, having the appropriate DNS entries, ACLs, and static NAT maps bound to the backup interface would provide what I'm looking for. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Well that depends, what they mean is when your first connection goes down you need someway to notify the outside world that they need to take a different route to get into your network. To do this seamlessly, you need to have your own ASN and have BGP properly configured.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Help me out here guys, I'm having a bit of a problem.

I spent the weekend bringing up a second 6509 in one of our datacenters, and redoing all of our access switches. All of the access switches now have trunks to both core switches (clearly this is a fascinating new idea that is going to change the way the industry thinks about switching).

Everything's gone great, generally, except for one older 4510R running an older IOS image (12.2(18)EW).

Whenever rapid spanning-tree is enabled on the 4510, it works fine for a while, and then suddenly whole vlans will stop forwarding for between five and thirty seconds. Then everything goes back to normal, and there's no indication of what might have happened. Spanning-tree debugging doesn't indicate a root bridge change, and I've disconnected all redundant trunks to this switch, but the problem persists.

Since it's Monday morning now, and this is an end-user facing switch, I had to disable spanning tree entirely to stop the problem, but that isn't tenable in the long run.

I've already opened a Sev3 with the tac, but I'm just wondering if anybody has any thoughts, or has run into anything weird like this. I'm not very layer-2 savvy, so it's entirely possible I'm just doing something stupid.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

dwarftosser posted:

Well that depends, what they mean is when your first connection goes down you need someway to notify the outside world that they need to take a different route to get into your network. To do this seamlessly, you need to have your own ASN and have BGP properly configured.

Or a global load balancing appliance sitting out in a datacenter somewhere, but that's just swapping 1 SPoF for another.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

jwh posted:

Everything's gone great, generally, except for one older 4510R running an older IOS image (12.2(18)EW).

Whenever rapid spanning-tree is enabled on the 4510, it works fine for a while, and then suddenly whole vlans will stop forwarding for between five and thirty seconds. Then everything goes back to normal, and there's no indication of what might have happened. Spanning-tree debugging doesn't indicate a root bridge change, and I've disconnected all redundant trunks to this switch, but the problem persists.

-spanning-tree problem persists when topology reduced to no loops to block
-nothing in logs
-debug shows nothing

Sounds like some obscure code issue. I dunno, try upgrading the code and see what happens. Other then that, try running the same debugs on whatever the 4510 is uplinked to.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

dwarftosser posted:

Assume we just wanted mail - a lower priority MX record pointing to the backup interface would suffice then?

dwarftosser
Sep 3, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Assume we just wanted mail - a lower priority MX record pointing to the backup interface would suffice then?

Sure will.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Is it possible to break out individual serial T1s (for MLPPP, bonded t1) from a ATM-IMA card? I've got this card in one of our 7206VXR routers, and want to run a MLPPP connection for lab/testing purposes, and I can't seem to find any configuration notes on google. We were originally using this card for a 8x T1 IMA interface, but have since upgraded that connection to a DS3. Now that this card is vacant I want to putz around with configuring it a little.

IMA WAN DS1 Port adapter, 8 ports
PA-IMA-T1

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Richard Noggin posted:

Quick non-cisco interjection. Some systems will send to the lower priority MX record no matter what, so it has to be up and accepting data even if the primary is up. This is probably the case, but if you are paying for a standby connection from a datacenter, this isn't always the case (that, or the standby has crazy data rates that will bite you in the rear end)

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

Is it possible to break out individual serial T1s (for MLPPP, bonded t1) from a ATM-IMA card?

Eh? MLPPP and ATM-IMA are two totally different types of link bonding. I really doubt you're going to get anywhere with this. Actually, without a spare ATM switch I don't think you're going to be able to do anything with the IMA card.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

Eh? MLPPP and ATM-IMA are two totally different types of link bonding. I really doubt you're going to get anywhere with this. Actually, without a spare ATM switch I don't think you're going to be able to do anything with the IMA card.

That's why I'm asking. MLPPP is a software implementation on top of whatever interfaces you put into the bundle, right? So if I could break out individual Serial T1's instead of using the IMA bundle, couldn't I do MLPPP? Basically I have that IMA card with 8 ports in my lab, and I've got a 2611 with two WIC-T1s in it. I was wondering what it would take to connect the two together.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Just got some new toys at work:

Oh look boxes! I wonder whats in them..

Some ONS 15454E

And 4 of these. Hm, I wonder if they can handle my linux-iso torrent! Think I can put DD-WRT on them?

nex fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 23, 2007

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

That's why I'm asking. MLPPP is a software implementation on top of whatever interfaces you put into the bundle, right? So if I could break out individual Serial T1's instead of using the IMA bundle, couldn't I do MLPPP? Basically I have that IMA card with 8 ports in my lab, and I've got a 2611 with two WIC-T1s in it. I was wondering what it would take to connect the two together.

Ok, here's the short way to test this. Try to use "encap ppp" on one of your IMA interfaces.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

Ok, here's the short way to test this. Try to use "encap ppp" on one of your IMA interfaces.

Well yeah, that doesn't work since it's still an ATM/IMA interface. I was wondering if there was some way to configure one of the ports as a serial T1 like you can with the VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards. At this point I might just dig around and see if I can find a spare ethernet PA card & ethernet WIC to test with. Thanks though.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

inignot posted:

Sounds like some obscure code issue. I dunno, try upgrading the code and see what happens. Other then that, try running the same debugs on whatever the 4510 is uplinked to.

Yeah, it's looking like a code issue- at least, that's my read on it. We didn't have time to try and upgrade the code before I had to get on the airplane, unfortunately. Oh well, they can run with a single trunk for a while.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

EoRaptor posted:

Quick non-cisco interjection. Some systems will send to the lower priority MX record no matter what, so it has to be up and accepting data even if the primary is up. This is probably the case, but if you are paying for a standby connection from a datacenter, this isn't always the case (that, or the standby has crazy data rates that will bite you in the rear end)

There will be three MX entries, and look something like this:

10 primaryWAN
20 secondaryWAN
30 offsiteBackup

My understanding is that the configuration I posted above will leave both interfaces up to outside traffic, but inside traffic is routed through the primary interface as long as it's up. It's going to be used in a small business to provide a T1 backup to the cable modem, after Comcast left them without internet service for 3+ weeks.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 24, 2007

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Is there an adapter to convert the serial console cable to USB? I just got my Thinkpad at work and didn't realize it doesn't have a serial port. It's not critical, but it would be nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

InferiorWang posted:

Is there an adapter to convert the serial console cable to USB? I just got my Thinkpad at work and didn't realize it doesn't have a serial port. It's not critical, but it would be nice to have.

take your pick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=usb+serial&x=31&y=39

Personally I use the Keyspan one, but that's because I use a macbook pro, and it was the only compatible one on the market at the time I bought it.