Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fantastipotamus posted:

What's a distro?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distro

There's no quick answer, but basically "Linux", or properly GNU/Linux, is a core set of utilities and a kernel upon which lots of other packages (programs) are built around. The combination of extra packages and utilities are up to the 'vendor' and their particular selection is released as a "linux distribution". Linux is hugely versatile so there are tons of different distros for all sorts of different uses.

quote:

So, Kunbuntu would likely be a good place to start? Is the wine project included in that, or downloaded seperately?

Yep, (K)Ubuntu is widely recognised as being one of the most user friendly distros around. Wine is a separate download but easily added through a repository. A repository is basically a remote list of hundreds of software programs all managed by a package manager. After adding indexes of all these repositories, you can usually install things with one click, rather than having to browse and download from their respective websites. A search of your chosen distros forums will have howtos on how to add these extra repositories.

quote:

The only other program I'd really like to keep around is Acid Pro (old version 3.0 though, don't want to pay to upgrade) and Photoshop, but I only have CS2, so it looks like that should be okay. Beyond that it's just the simple, AIM clone, web surfing, burning software, and itunes (or something that my ipod will think is itunes.

Pidgin will do aim just fine, web surfing you have Opera, Firefox or Konqueror (KDE's file manager).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I am in the process of interviewing for a job where I'll likely be using an Ubuntu desktop and doing some server stuff as well. The job requires that I learn a whole host of technology that's semi-foreign to me so I want to get up to speed ASAP with Ubuntu/Linux admin/use so that I'm not struggling with the OS.

I'm looking for a good tutorial/crash course to reinforce this info - I've some experience from college/home use but it's been a little while. I'm not adverse to throwing down money on a book if there's an excellent one out there.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dorkface posted:

Well, lets see:

1)Ctrl+alt+backspace to get out of xserver
2)Ctrl+alt+f4 for a terminal session
2)sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
3)sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
4)sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "nv" to "nvidia"
5)Alt+f7 to get back to X
6)Login

I assume I didn't do that right?

You FIRST restarted X, THEN updated its configuration while it was still running with the old one. Log out, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, then log in again.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I am in the process of interviewing for a job where I'll likely be using an Ubuntu desktop and doing some server stuff as well. The job requires that I learn a whole host of technology that's semi-foreign to me so I want to get up to speed ASAP with Ubuntu/Linux admin/use so that I'm not struggling with the OS.

I'm looking for a good tutorial/crash course to reinforce this info - I've some experience from college/home use but it's been a little while. I'm not adverse to throwing down money on a book if there's an excellent one out there.

It depends on what part of it is foreign. Have you used:

1. Other Debian-like Linux distributions?
2. Linux desktops?
3. Unix desktops?
4. Linux in any form?
5. Unix or Unix-like system?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I've run a few different distros - Redhat, Fedora, Solaris and now Ubuntu. GNOME/desktop is easy enough to use, I'm more concerned with things like refreshing my memory on stuff like basic administration (chmod, cron, etc) and app/service setup/modification (stuff like apache, maven, etc)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

All right, I've got a quick question that's hopefully pretty simple to answer. I just bought a laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) which supposedly supports Linux. My question is whether I should install the 64-bit version of the distro I use or the 32-bit version. I've heard 64-bit is better for systems with more RAM, and systems with smaller amounts of RAM should use 32-bit versions. Beyond that, I really don't know which to choose.

A few relevant specs:

Processor: Core 2 Duo
RAM: 1 GB
Video: Intel X3100 965 GMA
HDD: 120 GB 5400 RPM
Distro: Arch Linux

Thanks in advance!

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ColdPie posted:

My question is whether I should install the 64-bit version of the distro I use or the 32-bit version. I've heard 64-bit is better for systems with more RAM, and systems with smaller amounts of RAM should use 32-bit versions. Beyond that, I really don't know which to choose.

A few relevant specs:

Processor: Core 2 Duo
RAM: 1 GB

Net, 32-bit will have less potential headaches. Unlikely any tanginle benefit of running a 64-bit kernel or applications.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

covener posted:

Net, 32-bit will have less potential headaches. Unlikely any tanginle benefit of running a 64-bit kernel or applications.

I've heard things such as video encoding can improve up to 40%, is this true?

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou
Okay, I've been trolling official forums, IRC chat rooms, etc., trying to figure out how to get this to work. Goons, you are my last hope.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 with an Atheros wifi chip. Way back when I first installed Ubuntu Feisty, wireless worked great. However, some time later (I don't know what/when exactly), wireless stopped working. I upgraded to Gutsy (slightly early...), hoping that Gutsy fixed the problem. No dice.

I've gone through the various troubleshooting howtos and can get it to the point where the driver loads and recognizes the card and can even see the various SSIDs being broadcast in my general vicinity. However, it refuses to associate with an AP, get an IP address, etc.

Can anybody out there help me? :)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

DMLou posted:

Okay, I've been trolling official forums, IRC chat rooms, etc., trying to figure out how to get this to work. Goons, you are my last hope.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 with an Atheros wifi chip. Way back when I first installed Ubuntu Feisty, wireless worked great. However, some time later (I don't know what/when exactly), wireless stopped working. I upgraded to Gutsy (slightly early...), hoping that Gutsy fixed the problem. No dice.

I've gone through the various troubleshooting howtos and can get it to the point where the driver loads and recognizes the card and can even see the various SSIDs being broadcast in my general vicinity. However, it refuses to associate with an AP, get an IP address, etc.

Sounds like a job for the Linux thread! Might wanna start by posting the result of dmesg | grep ath

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DMLou posted:

Do you use Network Manager with nm-applet showing the networks, or do you have pre-configured network interface?

What happens if you remove all preconfigured interfaces and let Network Manager auto-configure them?

What is the output of "/sbin/iwconfig ath0" and "/sbin/ifconfig ath0"?

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou

teapot posted:

Do you use Network Manager with nm-applet showing the networks, or do you have pre-configured network interface?

What happens if you remove all preconfigured interfaces and let Network Manager auto-configure them?

Yeah, I'm using Network Manager and nm-applet does show all the various local networks I can see. I'm not quite sure what you mean by removing all preconfigured interfaces and letting Network Manager auto-configure them? Isn't that what's going on by default?

teapot posted:

What is the output of "/sbin/iwconfig ath0" and "/sbin/ifconfig ath0"?

Here goes (trying to associate with wireless network "network"). Names and IP addresses suitably mangled, BTW, but they were both valid.
code:
$ /sbin/iwconfig ath0
ath0      IEEE 802.11a  ESSID:"network"  Nickname:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.32 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:8 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-95 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:779291  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

$ /sbin/ifconfig ath0
ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:14:A4:13:F6:03  
          inet addr:192.168.0.101  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: ffff::fff:ffff:ffff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:2714 (2.6 KB)  TX bytes:5181 (5.0 KB)
Weird. It actually got an IP for a bit (and allowed me to surf a bit), but the little network-manager icon kept doing it's "trying to connect" spinny dance and after a minute or so it cut me off and I got this ifconfig output:

code:
$ /sbin/ifconfig ath0
ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:14:A4:13:F6:03  
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:225 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:199 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:66069 (64.5 KB)  TX bytes:39959 (39.0 KB)
It's like Network Manager was too stupid to figure out that I actually got a connection and then dropped it.

Of course, this is further than I got at home, but my work network is open and requires you to VPN to get anything good (and Network Manager won't let me VPN in because it doesn't realize I'm connected). At home I do have security (WEP, because I'm too cheap to upgrade all my WEP-only gear to use anything better for the time being), but couldn't even get this far.

DMLou fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 18, 2007

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zuph posted:

Photoshop CS2 works fine in Wine. The Gimp is a reasonably good replacement for Photoshop, depending on what you're doing.
As long you don't rely a lot on layer editing, GIMP should be fine.

Also, how did you get Photoshop to activate? When I run it after activation, some thread responsible for checking the license deadlocks. When I hit CTRL-C in the console where I started Wine, it aborts the thread and Photoshop greets me with the usual error if the licensing stuff broke.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Where's a good place to learn about all the nuances and history regarding terminals and shells? I have a vague idea about them and use them, but I don't know the details about term types, 'termcap', escape characters, and how all of that works. I know that's a horribly vague request, but that's the problem - I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Okay, a specific thing that might illustrate my point. When I SSH into a system with TERM=xterm-256color and use zsh, hitting backspace causes the cursor to move forward and not remove any characters. I want to know why that is - not why that specific problem occurs, but everything surrounding and leading up to it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Toiletbrush posted:

As long you don't rely a lot on layer editing, GIMP should be fine.
Layers in Gimp look fine for me.

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou
Weird -- my wireless just started working with my work's non-secured access point. We'll see how it fairs on a WEP secured one later.

I honestly don't know how or why it happened, but it did.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
What's the "correct" way to do DHCP for High Availability with DHCPD? 3-node cluster with a common database? LVS funkiness? Something else I'm not thinking of?

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I'm running FreeBSD, but we don't have a thread for that so...

I'm trying to get Synergy (keyboard sharing program) to autostart in GDM/Gnome with an altered scheduling priority. I've tried a few of things that all resulted in coredumps.

The first, in my /usr/local/etc/gdm/Init/(hostname):
code:
# Synergy
/usr/bin/killall synergyc
/bin/sleep 1
/usr/local/bin/synergyc 192.168.0.101
(with or without a "sleep 1" here)
/usr/bin/renice -20 `/usr/bin/pgrep synergyc`
The second in the same place:
code:
# Synergy
/usr/bin/killall synergyc
/bin/sleep 1
/usr/bin/nice -n -20 /usr/local/bin/synergyc 192.168.0.101
Here's the strange part. When I check the process that's spawned regularly, without altering the scheduling priority, it's owned by root. When I log into root with either of the above configurations, everything is fine and Synergy is started with a nice value of -20. If the process is owned by root in any circumstance, why would it matter which user was logging in?

The Gay Bean fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 19, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I haven't been able to find quite this question in the thread, but I could have missed something in 51 pages, so here goes:

I'd like to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows XP. I have a Ubuntu live CD that I've tried out and I liked it, but would like to keep XP around in case some games don't work right in Ubuntu. Currently, my partitions are set up like this:

code:
hda1     149 GB    This is my main partition, with everything on it.
hdb1     9.76 GB   Small partition that I had intended to install XP on, but Ghost didn't tell me the size of
partitions, just drive letters.
hdb2     139 GB    Used for backup of files from hda1.
Would it be better to:
  1. Dual-boot with my existing XP install?
  2. Set up my existing XP install as a virtual machine (is this possible?)?
  3. Delete my XP install, slap Ubuntu on my primary drive, and put XP somewhere else?
    Within this, should I use a dual-boot method or a VM?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

DMLou posted:

Weird -- my wireless just started working with my work's non-secured access point. We'll see how it fairs on a WEP secured one later.

I honestly don't know how or why it happened, but it did.

My wireless started working with a WEP-secured access point. WITHOUT needing to get the passphrase/key/whatever. It just started.

:tinfoil:

invid
Dec 19, 2002
I'm trying to create a shell script to mail me after rsync has been done.

I've added

code:
mail -s backup done [email]email@domain.com[/email]
messagebody
But in order to send a mail out, I need to send in a ctrl-d input. How do I do that in a script?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

invid posted:

I'm trying to create a shell script to mail me after rsync has been done.

I've added

code:
mail -s backup done [email]email@domain.com[/email]
messagebody
But in order to send a mail out, I need to send in a ctrl-d input. How do I do that in a script?

pipe or redirect the message body in, and mail will see the EOF. a "heredoc" works too:

code:
mail -s 'backup done' [email]email@domain.com[/email] <<EOF
messagebody
EOF
(the EOF used in there heredoc example is just marks the beginning/end of the heredoc, not some magic way of specifying eof/control-d; you get that for free when you use any form of redirection)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

teapot posted:

Layers in Gimp look fine for me.
The size of a layers in Gimp is defined upon layer creation. Photoshop's layers resize automatically.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
How can I make an image of a CD/DVD? I have tried
code:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
code:
dd if=/media/cdrom0 of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
and
code:
dd if=/media/cdrom of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
The first I was testing on a DVD I own and just kept going until I finally cut it off at the 20GB mark. The other two would make 16MB files of the same DVD. Is there a better (command line, if at all possible) way of doing this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Went ahead and did the dual-boot with preserving my existing XP stuff. However, now I can't access that drive from Ubuntu. I've installed the ntfs-3g program, but it didn't seem to do much good. When I look at the partitioning tool, it sees this as my second drive:

What's going wrong?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

Crush fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 23, 2007

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Crush posted:

How can I make an image of a CD/DVD? I have tried
code:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
code:
dd if=/media/cdrom0 of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
and
code:
dd if=/media/cdrom of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
The first I was testing on a DVD I own and just kept going until I finally cut it off at the 20GB mark. The other two would make 16MB files of the same DVD. Is there a better (command line, if at all possible) way of doing this?

You want to do something like
code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/cdromimage.iso
Where /dev/cdrom is the device node for your cdrom/dvdrom drive and ~/cdromimage.iso is the image file you are outputting. The bs portion of your command isn't really neccessary and your last two commands you are trying to dump mountpoint directories, not the device contents.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

dfn_doe posted:

You want to do something like
code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/cdromimage.iso
Where /dev/cdrom is the device node for your cdrom/dvdrom drive and ~/cdromimage.iso is the image file you are outputting. The bs portion of your command isn't really neccessary and your last two commands you are trying to dump mountpoint directories, not the device contents.

See I get this when I do that command verbatim.
code:
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/cdromimage.iso
dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
31456+0 records in
31456+0 records out
16105472 bytes (16 MB) copied, 7.14411 seconds, 2.3 MB/s

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

hooah posted:

Went ahead and did the dual-boot with preserving my existing XP stuff. However, now I can't access that drive from Ubuntu. I've installed the ntfs-3g program, but it didn't seem to do much good. When I look at the partitioning tool, it sees this as my second drive:

What's going wrong?

Firstly, stop messing with the partitioning tool. It isn't going to do anything to help you out and you very well may end up wiping your data while messing around. You just need to mount your ntfs partition.

code:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /media/windows
Voila!

What version of ubuntu are you using? The latest, 7.10, seems to automount ntfs partitions read/write using hald. The last version 7.04 may have required manual intervention to mount things up (like the above example, or ntfs partition manager IIRC). At any rate you will find more detailed examples of the mount options for all the different FS types by reading their individual manpages i.e.
code:
man mount.ntfs-3g
man mount.cifs
etc...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crush posted:

See I get this when I do that command verbatim.
code:
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/cdromimage.iso
dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
31456+0 records in
31456+0 records out
16105472 bytes (16 MB) copied, 7.14411 seconds, 2.3 MB/s

Stop copy/pasting commands from the forums... What device is your cdrom drive? that needs to be the if "input file".... "reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error" leads me to believe that /dev/cdrom isn't a valid node or symlink to a node on your system. Also, your first post indicated that you were doing /dev/sda1 which dumped over 20gb, which leads me to likewise believe you have copied/pasted that from somewhere else and you're actually dumping from a hard drive which sda1 happens to be on your system.

run a dmesg and look for something like this
code:
[   35.620400]  [b]sdb[/b]:sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 1x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[   35.624962] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[   35.625020] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[   35.628220] sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[   35.628275] sr 1:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
[   35.636841]  sdb1
[   35.636919] sd 2:0:0:0: [b][sdb][/b] Attached SCSI disk
[   35.645607] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[   35.645645] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
[   35.645682] sr 1:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
[   35.645722] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dfn_doe posted:

Firstly, stop messing with the partitioning tool. It isn't going to do anything to help you out and you very well may end up wiping your data while messing around. You just need to mount your ntfs partition.

code:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /media/windows
Voila!

What version of ubuntu are you using? The latest, 7.10, seems to automount ntfs partitions read/write using hald. The last version 7.04 may have required manual intervention to mount things up (like the above example, or ntfs partition manager IIRC). At any rate you will find more detailed examples of the mount options for all the different FS types by reading their individual manpages i.e.
code:
man mount.ntfs-3g
man mount.cifs
etc...

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10, and it doesn't seem to be able to recognize my NTFS drive. I tried the command you gave me, but the terminal said I can only do that from root. I tried figuring out how to get to root, but to no avail.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

dfn_doe posted:

Stop copy/pasting commands from the forums... What device is your cdrom drive? that needs to be the if "input file".... "reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error" leads me to believe that /dev/cdrom isn't a valid node or symlink to a node on your system. Also, your first post indicated that you were doing /dev/sda1 which dumped over 20gb, which leads me to likewise believe you have copied/pasted that from somewhere else and you're actually dumping from a hard drive which sda1 happens to be on your system.

run a dmesg and look for something like this
code:
[   35.620400]  [b]sdb[/b]:sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 1x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[   35.624962] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[   35.625020] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[   35.628220] sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[   35.628275] sr 1:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
[   35.636841]  sdb1
[   35.636919] sd 2:0:0:0: [b][sdb][/b] Attached SCSI disk
[   35.645607] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[   35.645645] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
[   35.645682] sr 1:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
[   35.645722] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

I was only typing what you told me to try. Otherwise I always try for whatever is specific to my problem...I have (obviously) already tried cdrom, cdrom0, dvd, and dvdrw. All have the same problem. This apparently isn't working for me which is why in my original post I asked for an alternative to doing it this way. I appreciate your help, but there is no need to assume (which seem to do a lot) anything. It doesn't help, only makes things worse.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

hooah posted:

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10, and it doesn't seem to be able to recognize my NTFS drive. I tried the command you gave me, but the terminal said I can only do that from root. I tried figuring out how to get to root, but to no avail.

Run the same command, throwing a "sudo " before it. Boom, it's running as root.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

I was only typing what you told me to try. Otherwise I always try for whatever is specific to my problem...I have (obviously) already tried cdrom, cdrom0, dvd, and dvdrw. All have the same problem. This apparently isn't working for me which is why in my original post I asked for an alternative to doing it this way. I appreciate your help, but there is no need to assume (which seem to do a lot) anything. It doesn't help, only makes things worse.

1. What is the output of
code:
ls -l /dev/cdrom
?

2. Do you REALLY have more than 16M of readable data on it?

3. After dd gives you error, type "dmesg" -- it probably has something about the particular error that happened.

4. You probably will have less trouble if you will use a frontend program such as k3b.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

What's going wrong?

Boot into Windows and watch it go through chkdsk. After getting to the desktop, cleanly shut it down. Never leave a filesystem in an inconsistent state again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teapot posted:

Boot into Windows and watch it go through chkdsk. After getting to the desktop, cleanly shut it down. Never leave a filesystem in an inconsistent state again.

Sorry; it gave me an error when I shut it down properly. I'll re-boot into XP and see if it likes me better this time.

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 22, 2007

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crush posted:

Heh, funny that you accuse me of making assumption when you clearly say "I was only typing what you told me to try" when I already pointed out that you need to use the correct device node when doing the dd command. Also you never asked for an alternative way, you asked if there was something better than what you were doing (which, would be a working command line as opposed to your close but no cigar attempts)... which I then outlined for you and again in that post "I do that command verbatim." which sure sounds like copy/pasting. You sure got your panties in a bunch about the perceived assumption on my part. This bit here is loving stellar too, "I have (obviously) already tried," when there is nothing obvious about what you have or haven't tried...

Your first 3 attempts were pretty close to what you should be doing, but you are not making the last little logical leap; one which I've tried to walk you through. Instead you've chosen to lash out because you can't figure out a simple command. Maybe you'd be better off with a point and click gui program like k3b or it's ilk and instead of asking for help and then acting like a total retard when someone actually goes out of their way to try and help you learn something you can go read a loving man page instead of wasting other peoples' time being dense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

dfn_doe posted:

Heh, funny that you accuse me of making assumption when you clearly say "I was only typing what you told me to try" when I already pointed out that you need to use the correct device node when doing the dd command. Also you never asked for an alternative way, you asked if there was something better than what you were doing (which, would be a working command line as opposed to your close but no cigar attempts)... which I then outlined for you and again in that post "I do that command verbatim." which sure sounds like copy/pasting. You sure got your panties in a bunch about the perceived assumption on my part. This bit here is loving stellar too, "I have (obviously) already tried," when there is nothing obvious about what you have or haven't tried...

Your first 3 attempts were pretty close to what you should be doing, but you are not making the last little logical leap; one which I've tried to walk you through. Instead you've chosen to lash out because you can't figure out a simple command. Maybe you'd be better off with a point and click gui program like k3b or it's ilk and instead of asking for help and then acting like a total retard when someone actually goes out of their way to try and help you learn something you can go read a loving man page instead of wasting other peoples' time being dense.

I said I don't make a habit of copying and pasting, but in this case did. Also you tend to not be able to grasp that I had already tried any other device nodes available. I guess I figured you'd ASSUME I had already tried it since you seem to know everything.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

I said I don't make a habit of copying and pasting, but in this case did. Also you tend to not be able to grasp that I had already tried any other device nodes available. I guess I figured you'd ASSUME I had already tried it since you seem to know everything.
Can you, please, post the results of dmesg and ls -l /dev/cdrom ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

teapot posted:

Can you, please, post the results of dmesg and ls -l /dev/cdrom ?

Yeah, sorry.
code:
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-10-21 22:11 /dev/cdrom -> hda
Forgot that it was an PATA/IDE/whatever drive and tried hda to no avail.