Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm currently in negotiations with someone from my town to finally replace my shitwagon 2000 Chevy Malibu with a wonderful red 1994 Miata. 75k miles, new top, completely perfect interior, new timing belt and meticulous maintenance records.

Is the 5 grand he's asking in line with what it should cost, or should I try to work him down a little lower? Keep in mind that in the ridiculous local market I'm in, Corollas with 125k miles and a salvage license are selling for 3.5 grand. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A '94 with a fresh top and timing belt (how about the water pump and radiator?) in good condition could easily be worth close to $5k. In my opinion, $5k is a bit high since it's not an M-Edition or anything particularly desirable like that...but it's also not like he's out of his goddamned mind, either. I'd be surprised to see the car go for less than $4k.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Keep in mind that the 1994 model year is desirable because it comes with the 1.8, yet is OBDI.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

deadwing posted:

I'm currently in negotiations with someone from my town to finally replace my shitwagon 2000 Chevy Malibu with a wonderful red 1994 Miata. 75k miles, new top, completely perfect interior, new timing belt and meticulous maintenance records.

The maintenance records would seal the deal for me. Talk him down by some symbolic amount, maybe down to $4800 and then drive the car like you stole it.

How long did it take you to find this one? I loving fail at rooting out good cars in San Diego/LA. They're either all hosed up, riced out, or have no maintenance records and clueless owners who never change the oil.

Where are you located? If the car is as good as you say it is, hell, I'll buy it right now myself!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Blue book for that mileage is only $2300 or so. $5k seems awfully high.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Blue book means nothing for Miatas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

grover posted:

Blue book for that mileage is only $2300 or so. $5k seems awfully high.

Have you been paying attention to this thread? :argh:

As I stated earlier, I sold a 95M for 10k, blue book on it was 5k.

Blue book > Miatas > irrelevant

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TooLShack posted:

Blue book means nothing for Miatas.

Absolutely true. Additionally, pricing varies A LOT from region to region. At least around here in Seattle, a reasonably nice 1990 without exorbitant mileage will be able to fetch $3500 or so easy. If it has some "upgrades" like a new/glass-window top or a hardtop, it can pull in a bit more. Special edition NAs can fetch $5-6000 or even more depending on year, which special edition, condition, and records.

I paid $7k for a 1995 M-Edition with full records and 70k miles, and that was a solid deal in my area. Not great, but not a ripoff.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Well, about loving time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hagetaka posted:

Well, about loving time

They can flash their high beams at me all night long :mmmhmm:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
In regard to the Edmunds TCO numbers, they always seem a bit high. The only good I see them being is for an apples to apples comparison. If X car is twice as expensive per mile then Y car it's probably correct. The actual numbers break down is suspect at best I'd imagine.

EDIT:
Does anyone have a good working NA radio they want to sell me? Preferably something that bolts right up to a '92.

Lothar1080
Mar 21, 2005
Dream Warrior
Jeez, you people are lucky, I'm in Texas and I have found only one NA for sale that I wanted but it got bought out from under me. I'm looking for an 90-93 and there are none in my area. Hopefully I'll be going to Dallas to find one in a couple of months and if there are any goons that would be willing to help me that would make things alot easier.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

n8r posted:

In regard to the Edmunds TCO numbers, they always seem a bit high. The only good I see them being is for an apples to apples comparison. If X car is twice as expensive per mile then Y car it's probably correct. The actual numbers break down is suspect at best I'd imagine.

EDIT:
Does anyone have a good working NA radio they want to sell me? Preferably something that bolts right up to a '92.
I was totally going to sell mine until I realized that it's fairly trivial to add an aux-in to it, have you tried the WTB in the miata.net classifieds?

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Can someone in SF please look at this car for me?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/464988615.html

It looks amazing and I'd love to go look at it, but I live in San Diego. Is it a good price? $6550 seems like a bit much, but I'm sure I can talk the guy down. Still, from the pictures the car seems in amazingly mint condition and only has 90k miles.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 1, 2007

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have the "Lanny Alignment" on their Miata? -1.2 up from and -1.7 in the rear for camber. Right now I'm running .3 in the front and -.7 in the back and the car understeers like a pig. :(

destructo posted:

I was totally going to sell mine until I realized that it's fairly trivial to add an aux-in to it, have you tried the WTB in the miata.net classifieds?

how how how how how?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
For aux in with an NA stereo there are these things called tape adapters. I know you young kids may have never heard of them.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
NA radio Aux in:

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Guys, my old car has broken down again and I feel like replacing it with a miata.
Thing is though, the ones I can afford have ~100k-135k on the clock already and are about 15 years old.
Would you still recommend a miata this old or will keeping it on the streets ruin me financially ?
The one I'm currently eyeballing does have new breaks, a new clutch and a new timing belt.
I would be keeping it for another 3-4 years perhaps and drive about 10k a year.

duep fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 1, 2007

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

Anybody have the "Lanny Alignment" on their Miata? -1.2 up from and -1.7 in the rear for camber. Right now I'm running .3 in the front and -.7 in the back and the car understeers like a pig. :(

I had that alignment done to my '92 way back in '99. I had it done by a pro on a hunter laser machine they had just spent big $$$ on. That car was perfectly neutral everywhere, and the bonus was that I wore out two sets of tires and the wear was poker-straight over the surface of all the tires.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

duep posted:

Guys, my old car has broken down again and I feel like replacing it with a miata.
Thing is though, the ones I can afford have ~100k-135k on the clock already and are about 15 years old.
Would you still recommend a miata this old or will keeping it on the streets ruin me financially ?
The one I'm currently eyeballing does have new breaks, a new clutch and a new timing belt.

The cars are pretty much tanks. I have enough that I could be buying a really nice Miata right now, but instead am in the market for an early NA with over 100k because honestly, paying the premium for low mileage and perfect condition Miata is not worth it to me. If I wanted a car that I was going to show off, or try to impress people with, I'd be looking for an s2000 or z3 or somthing. With a new cluch, new brakes, and new timing belt, shoot what could go wrong?

Based on the year and mileage you're talking about, I assume your budget is around $3000, more or less. Worst case if the engine siezed or tranny exploded, the shell alone will fetch at least half the value of the car. But I wouldn't expect either of those things to happen, and if they did, replacing a tranny would suck but wouldn't be the most costly thing. I have no fear about buying a car exactly like you're describing, and almost did yesterday. I'm just weighing my options now. My last NA, I dropped the clutch at almost every stop light, taught several people how to drive a stick on it, neglected to change the oil, and ran it with low coolant often for about two years. I pretty much tried to destroy it, and finally the gearbox messed up on it which was really my fault. (You can read about it earlier in this thread) To this day it still runs perfect, and once the new owner fixes the gearbox, I have no doubt the car has tens of thousands of miles left in her (It's at 135k now).

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

duep posted:

My Miata is a '94 with 129k on the clock and it's running strong. The only work I've done besides oil changes was a belt that had started to dry rot a bit. Absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever.

I can't promise your experience will be identical, but most other Miata owners' stories will be similar.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

mobn posted:

My Miata is a '94 with 129k on the clock and it's running strong. The only work I've done besides oil changes was a belt that had started to dry rot a bit. Absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever.

I can't promise your experience will be identical, but most other Miata owners' stories will be similar.

My '90 has just under 150k KM on it, and all it's needed repair wise is the alternator belt, the timing belt, and I'm putting a new clutch in since mine is slipping badly right now.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

mobn posted:

I bought a '92 with a snapped timing belt last year. I had a 3 angle valve job done on the head and bolted it back together with new gaskets and belts and ran the piss out of it before selling it at the start of this semester. It had 226k miles when I got rid of it and still loved to be wound out to the redline. I drove it from southern Louisiana to St Louis with a clogged radiator and the heater blasting in early august without any problems and averaged 34mpg at about 80mph. The PO was a friend of mine and it ran great before the valve job, but it was noisy.

Valve noise is common in these cars, dont let it keep you from buying one in otherwise good condition.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

chem42 posted:

I bought a '92 with a snapped timing belt last year. I had a 3 angle valve job done on the head and bolted it back together with new gaskets and belts and ran the piss out of it before selling it at the start of this semester. It had 226k miles when I got rid of it and still loved to be wound out to the redline. I drove it from southern Louisiana to St Louis with a clogged radiator and the heater blasting in early august without any problems and averaged 34mpg at about 80mph. The PO was a friend of mine and it ran great before the valve job, but it was noisy.

Valve noise is common in these cars, dont let it keep you from buying one in otherwise good condition.

You're completely lying about that mileage unless you drive the most stripped out Miata ever. At 80mph you'd be spinning nearly 4500rpms, possibly 5000. There's no way you were pulling off more than 25-30 MPG, and 30's optimistic.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

mobn posted:

You're completely lying about that mileage unless you drive the most stripped out Miata ever. At 80mph you'd be spinning nearly 4500rpms, possibly 5000. There's no way you were pulling off more than 25-30 MPG, and 30's optimistic.
It was on a trailer. Those MPG actually represent miles travelled per fuel leaking from the tank... :ssh:

I'm probably going to test drive a new NC on saturday. Anything in particular I should look at that people feel are big pros/cons of the car?

grover fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 1, 2007

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

mobn posted:

Road trips with only stops for fuel can highly exceed normal mileage, I used to push into the 50s in my Charade when it was only rated like 40 highway. Old 1.6s with proper tire pressure and in good mechanical condition can get suprising fuel economy, despite the fact they don't have the best fuel management (run rich).

edit: The car on the verge of overheating might have helped too, higher engine temperatures lead to better power if the intake air is kept at the same temp, ignoring onset of detonation.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

mobn posted:

You got me, I only measured from louisiana to southern missouri. Perfectly flat highway, a steady foot, and good compression. From New Iberia to Jackson I got about 36, but I was going a bit slower for that stretch.

User Error fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 1, 2007

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
80mph in a miata is 4000 rpms with a 1.8 and 41xx in a 1.6. mine however just gets 26mpg all the time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
85mph in the rain with the pop-ups on netted me about 26mpg. If I keep it under 80, I should be able to get 30mpg.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

grover posted:

I'm probably going to test drive a new NC on saturday. Anything in particular I should look at that people feel are big pros/cons of the car?

Big pros for me were: Side airbags, more room, felt like it was faster than my NB.

Try looking for a used Grand Touring, I wish I would have held out for one.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TooLShack posted:

Big pros for me were: Side airbags, more room, felt like it was faster than my NB.

Try looking for a used Grand Touring, I wish I would have held out for one.
I was looking at the Touring package. What's the difference between Touring and Grand Touring? $1200 and a Bose stereo?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Baby Hitler posted:

Road trips with only stops for fuel can highly exceed normal mileage, I used to push into the 50s in my Charade when it was only rated like 40 highway. Old 1.6s with proper tire pressure and in good mechanical condition can get suprising fuel economy, despite the fact they don't have the best fuel management (run rich).

edit: The car on the verge of overheating might have helped too, higher engine temperatures lead to better power if the intake air is kept at the same temp, ignoring onset of detonation.

It's time to start checking my engine thoroughly, then, because on 43 south (a very very straight shot between Waukesha and Beloit), I'm barely managing 22-25mpg, and I put it in cruise control at 80mph.

Of course, as helldump was eager to point out, it's possible my "immense" weight is damaging mileage.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Welp since I got an 06 NC, the order of packages with Club Spec, Touring, Sport, then Grand Touring. Touring only had cloth seats and a five speed. I really wish I could have found a used Copper red GT. I love leather seats, and the Tan and Copper Red look so good together.

It looks like now the order is Sport, Touring, Grand Touring. So the difference between Touring and GT isn't that much but cloth top and radio.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mobn posted:

It's time to start checking my engine thoroughly, then, because on 43 south (a very very straight shot between Waukesha and Beloit), I'm barely managing 22-25mpg, and I put it in cruise control at 80mph.

Of course, as helldump was eager to point out, it's possible my "immense" weight is damaging mileage.
I feel that cruise control doesn't moderate the throttle terribly well, I'd give it a shot without and see if it makes a difference. Waukesha huh, Carrol College?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

I feel that cruise control doesn't moderate the throttle terribly well, I'd give it a shot without and see if it makes a difference. Waukesha huh, Carrol College?

Yup. I used to do the run without cruise control, but honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in mileage with or without, and I'm lazy so I do the trip on cruise unless there's construction going on.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mobn posted:

At a constant 80mph (4300rpm) on the highway I regularly get 32mpg with my miata. Its a 1999 w/ 80k miles. Around town or in mixed driving I get about 24mpg.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Does this look promising to you guys? Im not gonna be back in Miami til sunday, so Im guessing its gonna be gone by then.

http://miami.craigslist.org/car/435693143.html

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mobn posted:

Yup. I used to do the run without cruise control, but honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in mileage with or without, and I'm lazy so I do the trip on cruise unless there's construction going on.
Hate to derail, but do you know Chris Myatt? He's on the soccer team.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

Hate to derail, but do you know Chris Myatt? He's on the soccer team.

No, sorry. The only sports guys I know are the football guys who are in the weightroom on Thursdays. What year is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Anybody think I'd be totally crazy to pay $6000 for a bone stock, except for a new, glass windowed top, 97 with the popular equipment package and about 90k on it? It LOOKs to be in about perfect condition, but the timing belt hasnt been done and the guy is adamant that since the CA manual says 105k it absolutely doesnt need to be done until then.