Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
1666 posts seems as good a place as any to restart the bloated LAST THREAD.

To start things off: everybody tell about the awesome halloween shows you got to go to.

Everybody who went to the Fest keep talking about it so I keep peeing my pants with envy.

After having Screeching Weasel's self-titled album for a while and still loving it, what album should I get next?

Yay, Dirt Cult Fest with Ghost Mice and the Dauntless Elite on Saturday.

Let's get the name-calling and hateful debates rolling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

At the very end of the last thread I posted a bunch of locals (Phoenix and Tuscon, Arizona), and although probably no one was interested, I'll post it again for some desperate attempt for cred.

BLUES

Describe themselves as "Botch 'n Roll" and I would say that's pretty accurate. Metallic hardcore with stoner influence.

http://www.myspace.com/lettherockfuckyou

HARLEQUIN BABIES

God, I'm really bad at describing bands. Kind of emo-type sung/screamed vocals with noisy kind of punk (I guess like XBXRX) stuff going on too.

http://www.myspace.com/harlequinbabies

HEATSTROKE

Combines traditional grind stuff (Napalm Death) with some hardcore/sludge/crust influence.

http://www.myspace.com/heatstrokeaz

HOUR OF THE WOLF

Awesome loving locals playing Misfits-influenced hardcore. It's like rockabilly and screamo mixed.

http://www.myspace.com/hourofthewolfaz

ALARM

Read their influences. At times powerviolence, at times straight hardcore, reminds me of Gaza sometimes.

http://www.myspace.com/alarm

I WISH I

This band is awesome. City of Caterpillar like build-ups with louder parts that remind me of Converge or Gaza.

http://www.myspace.com/iwisheye

Alright, I think that's enough for now. I guess IM me if you want some more.

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 2, 2007

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me
hey kirkjames i have some family down in Tucson that are into hardcore and punk. What are the local venues and what not?

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

mrmanatee posted:

After having Screeching Weasel's self-titled album for a while and still loving it, what album should I get next?

You can't go wrong with "My Brain Hurts." My favorite is actually "Anthem for a New Tomorrow" so I suggest you check out that one too, and then get sucked in and enjoy them all for what they are.

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white

kirkjames posted:

blah blah Arizona

To add to this, I just want to namedrop Get Destroyed (super fast thrash), Think Fast (people who wish they were Infest), and Speak (kids who want to relive ebullition in the 90's).

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Big Blue Violence posted:

To add to this, I just want to namedrop Get Destroyed (super fast thrash), Think Fast (people who wish they were Infest), and Speak (kids who want to relive ebullition in the 90's).

Yeah, there are tons of bands I'm not mentioning (Soft Shoulder, Slut Sister, Deadwrong, I Don't Give a gently caress, Netzeah) I just thought these were the most worth mentioning, I guess.

Oh, and of course the Level Plane, Female fronted grind band Landmine Marathon are from Phoenix too. Although I'm not that big of a fan, I think they get a lot of attention just because of the female singer.

Built for Brutality posted:

hey kirkjames i have some family down in Tucson that are into hardcore and punk. What are the local venues and what not?

Um, I'm not familiar with Tucson that much (I live in Phoenix and go to school North in Flagstaff) but I know of the Gnarwhal House, which is where most punk shows go, and if they're too big they usually go to Scrappy's.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

mrmanatee posted:

1666 posts seems as good a place as any to restart the bloated LAST THREAD.

To start things off: everybody tell about the awesome halloween shows you got to go to.

Everybody who went to the Fest keep talking about it so I keep peeing my pants with envy.

Let's get the name-calling and hateful debates rolling!

I hope your Ghost Mice experience is better than mine. At The Fest on Sunday they refused to use the mics/amps and I couldn't hear any insturmentation, or the girl's voice. Just the dude's voice. It was sorta lame.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

kirkjames posted:

BLUES

Are they playing a Tae Kwon Do studio?

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Biscuit Hammer posted:

I hope your Ghost Mice experience is better than mine. At The Fest on Sunday they refused to use the mics/amps and I couldn't hear any insturmentation, or the girl's voice. Just the dude's voice. It was sorta lame.

Ah, that sucks. They're pretty staunch on their anti-amp stance. It's not really an issue outside of the fest, though. They've pretty much peaked as far as new listeners go, I think. And the last time I saw them (in Austin, not exactly a town devoid of their fanbase [filthy hippies]) they sounded A-Okay.

I'm really excited. I have barely listened to their music since then, but you can't deny the power of those singalongs.

FREE PIZZA FOR LIFE!

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

mrmanatee posted:

Ah, that sucks. They're pretty staunch on their anti-amp stance. It's not really an issue outside of the fest, though. They've pretty much peaked as far as new listeners go, I think. And the last time I saw them (in Austin, not exactly a town devoid of their fanbase [filthy hippies]) they sounded A-Okay.

I'm really excited. I have barely listened to their music since then, but you can't deny the power of those singalongs.

FREE PIZZA FOR LIFE!

Ask them about The Homestead in Southampton - always fun seeing them there, it's a house with a massive conservatory where they have acoustics play. Tell them Matt from Guildford says hi.

Also, anyone who's got a chance to see Frightener on tour with Pulling Teeth in the US - DO IT. Brutal, hateful stuff. Nice guys though. Ask Jack (singer) if you can see the two coke cans he carries around with him, and Sam (one of the guitarists) will probably be very happy if you can point him in the direction of a blaze as well.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

mrmanatee posted:

FREE PIZZA FOR LIFE!

I'm sure that they sound better sans-amps, but it was an outdoor show and I was a good distance from the stage, and besides that a lot of people were disinterested and talking the entire time. They tour a lot though and when they come through town the consistently play the smallest venue here, so I'll get a chance to see them again.

I know this is an odd question, because I think I may have gone about this backwards, but someone posted Yo Man, Go! in the last thread, and a I loving love them. What are some other bands (maybe more popular ones) that sound the same?

stevefukkinc
Oct 10, 2004
TUB-THUMPING,
PAROCHIAL
McKNOB
Uhh, there already was an emo band called I Wish I.

Kids these days, no sense of history! :bang:

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
Set Your Goals is gonna start writing a new album in December, I'm pretty excited about that.

Pretty excited about the new Glassjaw, too. i guess.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

mrmanatee posted:

Television City Dream is my favorite Screeching Weasel album. Check that one out.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Best Friend posted:

Set Your Goals is gonna start writing a new album in December, I'm pretty excited about that.

Pretty excited about the new Glassjaw, too. i guess.

I saw SYG with daggermouth and no trigger and both bands blew away SYG. It was so anticlimactic when they went on, lots of people left.

Im debating about seeing locust/despised icon at the skatepark. On the one hand, despised icon sucks, and on the other hand, the locust sucks too but this kind of act never comes to edmonton so I figure I might as well see it.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I got a new copy of Soophie Nun Squad's The Devil, The Metal, The Big Booty Beats recently. What a ridiculous and awesome album. Still bummed I never got to see them.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Matt, my friend from hackney or wherever introduced me to the bassist while I was in the UK last so we hung out and vegged all night and morning, they're awesome. Sat around talking about tour and british sitcoms. I'll be in the UK next march too if you want to hang out. Pulling Teeth was awesome too- Harms Way and Weekend Nachos opened. For a bigger venue (Reggie's in Chicago) a lot of people came out with some excellent mosh.

Seeing Catburglars open for MOTO tonight, think I might skip MOTO although I do like them and just sneak in for the opener.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

THE LUMMOX posted:

I saw SYG with daggermouth and no trigger and both bands blew away SYG. It was so anticlimactic when they went on, lots of people left.

Im debating about seeing locust/despised icon at the skatepark. On the one hand, despised icon sucks, and on the other hand, the locust sucks too but this kind of act never comes to edmonton so I figure I might as well see it.

I'm seeing them tomorrow at UBC. How do you not like The Locust I think they're pretty cool.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004

Arson Equity posted:

Matt, my friend from hackney or wherever introduced me to the bassist while I was in the UK last so we hung out and vegged all night and morning, they're awesome. Sat around talking about tour and british sitcoms. I'll be in the UK next march too if you want to hang out. Pulling Teeth was awesome too- Harms Way and Weekend Nachos opened. For a bigger venue (Reggie's in Chicago) a lot of people came out with some excellent mosh.

Class, let me know when you're over. We're not talking Pinky or Fingers by any chance are we?

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
Oh, and this'll probably mean nothing to most people, and most of the rest'll probably hate them, but I just got back from seeing Carter USM's 10 year reunion gig at Brixton Academy. loving hell that was good.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Capitan Dad posted:

I'm seeing them tomorrow at UBC. How do you not like The Locust I think they're pretty cool.

I'm going because I moderately enjoy The Locust, but mainly just to see how ridiculous the show's going to be.

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

WashinMyGoat posted:

You can't go wrong with "My Brain Hurts." My favorite is actually "Anthem for a New Tomorrow" so I suggest you check out that one too, and then get sucked in and enjoy them all for what they are.

Also, "Boogadaboogadaboogada!" is a good one too.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

MattWPBS posted:

Oh, and this'll probably mean nothing to most people, and most of the rest'll probably hate them, but I just got back from seeing Carter USM's 10 year reunion gig at Brixton Academy. loving hell that was good.

What the gently caress, they're still together? What an awesome rock and roll band.

To note, I only have heard 1992: The Love Album but it is awesome.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004

Mike_V posted:

What the gently caress, they're still together? What an awesome rock and roll band.

To note, I only have heard 1992: The Love Album but it is awesome.

Well, they split up 10 years ago, played four songs at Four For Wiz (tribute to Wiz from Mega City Four when he died) earlier this year. Then they decided to do two full length reunion shows - Glasgow Barrowlands last weekend, and then Brixton Academy last night. The Glasgow one's out on DVD already. loving ace.

maydae
Feb 23, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT SELLING MY DIGNITY TWICE FOR $51 TOTAL
I am so ready for this is for you fest.
AMG
Someone want to hook a goon up wit a place to stay?

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

kirkjames posted:

BLUES

Describe themselves as "Botch 'n Roll" and I would say that's pretty accurate. Metallic hardcore with stoner influence.

This is one of the best bands on the planet. My band played with these guys when they came up to Detroit on tour and they are loving awesome. Loud and incredible.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Ok, I just got an advance CDR of an upcoming Netjajev SS 7" on Rescued From Life Records. I don't think I'd be over exaggerating if I said that it's the greatest piece of music in the history of recorded sound.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
Harlequin Babies is really good; wish I could get my hands on a CD-R or something so I could listen to them often.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Currently listening to the new Defiance, Ohio. Not overly impressed, but I like the song "Anxious and Worrying"

Hope the live show matches up to how good it used to be though

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

mrmanatee posted:

Boogadaboogadaboogada! tends to be the general favorite, but you really can't go wrong when it comes to Screeching Weasel, honestly.

I saw the Ergs! last Monday at a house show and I can easily say it's one of the best three live acts I've ever seen. The fact that they went to some sketchy backyard in Raleigh to play the night after they headline at the Fest 6 was so amazing to me. I got to help them set up too, which was :buddy:

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 4, 2007

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.

mrmanatee posted:

should I get next?

Nice, I was at this show! Ghost Mice was great. I don't have a problem with the way they play their shows, it makes it that much more intimate. Plus they played my requests! I love small shows like this, so much more personalized.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

mind eraser posted:

Nice, I was at this show! Ghost Mice was great. I don't have a problem with the way they play their shows, it makes it that much more intimate. Plus they played my requests! I love small shows like this, so much more personalized.

Aw man, I actually missed it. Turns out the drive down is more like 4 hours, and our driver wasn't up for it. Didn't go see the Lawrence Arms either, unfortunately. On the plus side, apparently Ghost Mice are coming back around to albuquerque on the 8th. And of course it's on the same night as MDC/Citizen Fish. I don't know why they keep scheduling these things like they do, but I'm not entirely sure I mind since there's no way I can afford to go see MDC/CF anyhow.

happinessSam
Jun 18, 2004

You have three guesses and the first two don't count.

MattWPBS posted:

drat, I really wanted to go to that, but I had to make a choice between that or the NOFX gig tonight, and I chose NOFX (money problems :( ). What was the set list?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Thatoaklandkid posted:

Currently listening to the new Defiance, Ohio. Not overly impressed, but I like the song "Anxious and Worrying"

Hope the live show matches up to how good it used to be though

They've got new stuff out? As of when?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

RunTo TheHills posted:

They've got new stuff out? As of when?

Just recently. And I have no idea what the other poster is talking about, there's not a song on the new album that I don't absolutely love.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Slackerish posted:

Just recently. And I have no idea what the other poster is talking about, there's not a song on the new album that I don't absolutely love.

Have they put it up on their site yet?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Mike_V posted:

Have they put it up on their site yet?

Nope, but i'm on the hunt for it.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

RunTo TheHills posted:

Nope, but i'm on the hunt for it.

Er, "if" I had a link to it, would it be illegal for me to post it since Definace Ohio puts all their music up for free anyway?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Slackerish posted:

Er, "if" I had a link to it, would it be illegal for me to post it since Definace Ohio puts all their music up for free anyway?

it'd be smart to PM a mod first and really, who can't find that stuff on 100000s of other sites anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006

Slackerish posted:

You're right, I was initially a little underwhelmed, but I'm on my third full listen right now and it gets better and better every time.

Someone mentioned they thought there weren't enough sing a longs, but I can't wait to scream along to Oh, Cheri and The Things we Won't Let Settle but Let Settle