Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

happinessSam posted:

drat, I really wanted to go to that, but I had to make a choice between that or the NOFX gig tonight, and I chose NOFX (money problems :( ). What was the set list?

You'd better hope NOFX are good otherwise you should really regret your choice. Here's the London set list:

Surfin USM
Everytime A Churchbell Rings
My Second To Last Will And Testament
Say It With Flowers
Rubbish
Billys Smart Circus
Taking Of Peckham 1-2-3
Do Re Me
This Is How It Feels
Anytime Anyplace Anywhere
The Only Living Boy In New Cross
Prince In A Paupers Grave
Shoppers Paradise
After The Watershed
RSPCE
Glam Rock Cops
Lean On Me
The Impossible Dream
Bloodsport For All
The Music Nobody Likes
A Perfect Day To Drop The Bomb

England
A Sheltered Life
Rent
Sheriff Fatman
GI Blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Thatoaklandkid posted:

You're right, I was initially a little underwhelmed, but I'm on my third full listen right now and it gets better and better every time.

Someone mentioned they thought there weren't enough sing a longs, but I can't wait to scream along to Oh, Cheri and The Things we Won't Let Settle but Let Settle

I will agree with you that Anxious and Worrying is there best song. But other than that it's hard to choose a favorite. Every song is really fun.

walkingistillhonest
Mar 1, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Boogadaboogadaboogada! tends to be the general favorite, but you really can't go wrong when it comes to Screeching Weasel, honestly.

I saw the Ergs! last Monday at a house show and I can easily say it's one of the best three live acts I've ever seen. The fact that they went to some sketchy backyard in Raleigh to play the night after they headline at the Fest 6 was so amazing to me. I got to help them set up too, which was :buddy:

Slackerish, I set up the Richmond show just before the Fest. Let's get some Richmond - Raleigh connections happening. https://www.myspace.com/mammalmansion

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I was listening to Horror Show this morning on my ride into work. I wish that band would reunite :(

happinessSam
Jun 18, 2004

You have three guesses and the first two don't count.

MattWPBS posted:

An awesome set list

Damm, that must have been fantastic. Nofx was ok. The crowd was great but the mix was terrible and the set list was so so. You could hardly hear the vocal, and even the between songs banter, which is half of what makes their gigs so much fun ,I couldn't hear.

And to add insult to injury I lost my mobile sometime in the mosh pit.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

happinessSam posted:

Damm, that must have been fantastic. Nofx was ok. The crowd was great but the mix was terrible and the set list was so so. You could hardly hear the vocal, and even the between songs banter, which is half of what makes their gigs so much fun ,I couldn't hear.

And to add insult to injury I lost my mobile sometime in the mosh pit.

It was, it was. Shame about NOFX, but I'm glad with the choice I made.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Does anyone here like early 80's UK punk? Labels like Riot City, Rot, Clay, etc? If anyone does, lately I have been listening to the English Dogs way too much as well as Hagar the Womb, the Undead, and the Subhumans. I saw Citizen Fish last night with MDC. MDC was much better than Citizen Fish but I'm not really into that ska stuff.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

walkingistillhonest posted:

Slackerish, I set up the Richmond show just before the Fest. Let's get some Richmond - Raleigh connections happening. https://www.myspace.com/mammalmansion

I actually meant setting up sound equiptment and poo poo, but I could give you the myspaces of some bands around here that tour, and that I'm sure would love to play in Richmond. Can I get your AIM or something?

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

Phillyt posted:

Does anyone here like early 80's UK punk? Labels like Riot City, Rot, Clay, etc? If anyone does, lately I have been listening to the English Dogs way too much as well as Hagar the Womb, the Undead, and the Subhumans. I saw Citizen Fish last night with MDC. MDC was much better than Citizen Fish but I'm not really into that ska stuff.

Invasion of the Porky Men is bad rear end. Love the Subhumans, never could get in to Citizen Fish. Favorite of that era and location was Rudimentary Peni, which I get poo poo for every time I bring it up. GBH, Discharge, Infa-Riot... I could go on like this for a while. Then we get in to Oi! and I'm just all over the place.

So yes, I do.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Haha I can tell by your Avatar and quote that you are indeed a fan of the music I was referencing to. My friend made a tape for me of his Detestation LP (original!!), was just listening to it the other day. Did you hear Conflict is going to tour with Rubella Ballet in 2008?

Edit: Rudimentary Peni is amazing as well. The Death Church LP is one of the most powerful records of the early eighties.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
So you know what band is really amazing that I just got into?

Fall of Efrafa.

Really epic doom/crust/post rock, all based on Watership Down. Beautiful, beautiful songs. They apparently just came out with new stuff that I haven't heard yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Check this band out.

EDIT: also, beautiful artwork.

DaLkO
Mar 27, 2005

graaaahhh me maties

mrmanatee posted:

Fall of Efrafa.

Really epic doom/crust/post rock, all based on Watership Down. Beautiful, beautiful songs. They apparently just came out with new stuff that I haven't heard yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Check this band out.

Sooooo so so so good. Ignore the Tragedy comparisons or whatever, this band beats the poo poo out of all of those bands they're often likened to. Long, epic songs. So amazing.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

mrmanatee posted:

Fall of Efrafa.

This band is so awesome. You should also check out Oroku, another epic crust band and they have cello too.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

EvilRobot posted:

Invasion of the Porky Men is bad rear end. Love the Subhumans, never could get in to Citizen Fish. Favorite of that era and location was Rudimentary Peni, which I get poo poo for every time I bring it up. GBH, Discharge, Infa-Riot... I could go on like this for a while. Then we get in to Oi! and I'm just all over the place.

So yes, I do.

Rudimentary Peni is my favorite punk band of all time, and I can't wait for the new album next year.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
So I just realized that the outro to the Raein song "Endlesstourlife" on the Phoenix Bodies split 7" is the basis of the song "New Day Scenario" which is on the Daitro split 10". Is there a release where these songs are back to back because it seems like one should flow into the other?

digital avalanche
Mar 1, 2006

DEAF METAL
Did Paul Baribeau play a song on any other Ghost Mice tour stops? He played 'Ten Things' here (Baton Rouge) and it was probably the best surprise ever.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Phillyt posted:

Haha I can tell by your Avatar and quote that you are indeed a fan of the music I was referencing to. My friend made a tape for me of his Detestation LP (original!!), was just listening to it the other day. Did you hear Conflict is going to tour with Rubella Ballet in 2008?

Edit: Rudimentary Peni is amazing as well. The Death Church LP is one of the most powerful records of the early eighties.
Ty from Detestation used to have a chili cookoff night here and introduce himself to everyone as "Hey, I'm Ty, you know, from Detestation?"

I saw Conflict a few years ago at the CBGB's benefit, it was awesome.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Hydrac7 posted:

This band is so awesome. You should also check out Oroku, another epic crust band and they have cello too.

Holy gently caress both these bands are loving incredible.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I didn't know Rubella Ballet is still around, thats pretty awesome.

Now if only Steve Lake would get over his fear of flying/boats and bring Zounds t the states I could die happy.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I didn't know Rubella Ballet is still around, thats pretty awesome.

Now if only Steve Lake would get over his fear of flying/boats and bring Zounds t the states I could die happy.

I dunno, that EP they put in like 2004 or whatever kinda sucked.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

I dunno, that EP they put in like 2004 or whatever kinda sucked.

Yeah, it wasn't very good, but it'd still be cool to see em.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I was talking about GISM's album Detestation. Zounds would be great to see even just for a few older tracks. Uproar and the Fiend are reuniting for that big festival this December or early next year. It's only in the UK though :(

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

For GISM fans I highly recommend trying to get ahold of Subj and Egos Chopped, because its awesome and crazy.

DaLkO
Mar 27, 2005

graaaahhh me maties

Wizard Mannequin posted:

For GISM fans I highly recommend trying to get ahold of Subj and Egos Chopped, because its awesome and crazy.

Definitely. Best 50 or so minutes you'll ever spend in your life.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Phillyt posted:

I was talking about GISM's album Detestation. Zounds would be great to see even just for a few older tracks. Uproar and the Fiend are reuniting for that big festival this December or early next year. It's only in the UK though :(
Hah, wondered why anyone would bring up detestation, my bad. Zounds would be interesting, I'd definitely go but I don't really listen to the stuff anymore. There was a rumor Chumbawumba was supposed to play nevermind the ballots era stuff about four or five years ago but it never surfaced.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

digital avalanche posted:

Did Paul Baribeau play a song on any other Ghost Mice tour stops? He played 'Ten Things' here (Baton Rouge) and it was probably the best surprise ever.

Speaking of Paul Baribeau and Ghost Mice, I love their split. I think more bands need to release splits where they cover each other's songs because it's just real fun.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Hydrac7 posted:

Speaking of Paul Baribeau and Ghost Mice, I love their split. I think more bands need to release splits where they cover each other's songs because it's just real fun.

Yes, there is a Get Up Kids/Coalesce split like this and it's awesome.

nadazilch
Nov 7, 2007
I know of a couple local bands from jersey who did the split/cover thing. I would really like to see more of it. Im deffinetly going to check out that Get Up Kids/Coalesce split. Anymore splits like this I should be aware of?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Arson Equity posted:

Hah, wondered why anyone would bring up detestation, my bad. Zounds would be interesting, I'd definitely go but I don't really listen to the stuff anymore. There was a rumor Chumbawumba was supposed to play nevermind the ballots era stuff about four or five years ago but it never surfaced.

It's still kinda surreal to me how they went on EMI and put out that dance stuff... There goes like 15 years of credibility.

tonythepit
Nov 17, 2004

Nyet!
Everyone check out Trap Them, saw them play at my school and was very impressed. http://www.myspace.com/trapthem

SpacePiper
Jun 16, 2003
Hippo [NOT FURRY]
I won't go into how awesome the Fest, but I will say we had a killer show at my house on the Monday before the Fest. Line-up was:

Disaster Stalls (local kids)
O Pioneers!!!
Bridge and Tunnel
Down in the Dumps
Four Letter Word
Nothington
Off With Their Heads

Here are some pictures:

All photos here: http://flametal.smugmug.com/Music

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Phillyt posted:

It's still kinda surreal to me how they went on EMI and put out that dance stuff... There goes like 15 years of credibility.
They did sell some of their bigger hits to commercials and use the money to backstab the focus of the commercials (GM), which in my mind is pretty sweet. I still don't get why they went with dance music though, that completely baffles me.

I keep thinking about getting a conflict tattoo, but with all the drama since the no power/carlo records and the music videos (which I have to say were pretty wild) I kinda don't want to. I saw them live a few years back and they still rock.

I'm going to the 86 mentality/mind eraser/hosed up show in NYC this saturday if anyone's going. Should be a wild time.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

SpacePiper posted:

I won't go into how awesome the Fest, but I will say we had a killer show at my house on the Monday before the Fest. Line-up was:

Disaster Stalls (local kids)
O Pioneers!!!
Bridge and Tunnel
Down in the Dumps
Four Letter Word
Nothington
Off With Their Heads

Here are some pictures:

All photos here: http://flametal.smugmug.com/Music

Are you a Gainesville local? I didn't hear about this house show, and I wish I had :(

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Arson Equity posted:

They did sell some of their bigger hits to commercials and use the money to backstab the focus of the commercials (GM), which in my mind is pretty sweet. I still don't get why they went with dance music though, that completely baffles me.

I keep thinking about getting a conflict tattoo, but with all the drama since the no power/carlo records and the music videos (which I have to say were pretty wild) I kinda don't want to. I saw them live a few years back and they still rock.

I don't mind Chumba's new stuff since it's not like their ideology has changed or anything (plus I don't mind dance music :shobon: )

What's this about Conflict drama, though?

EDIT: Also so Henry Rollins talk tonight. He's a really funny and amiable dude, but he should stay away from preaching because his anecdotes are a lot better.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 8, 2007

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I am really loving excited for the Conflict / Rubella tour coming up. My excitement raised when I read the Punk Lives! features on both bands tonight.

Speaking of which, not sure if anyone knows but you early eighties punk fans will be interested to check out http://punksishippies.blogspot.com/. This site has so many scans of many very rare and valuable zines. The quality of the scans is usually great and the information presented is awesome. A great look at a time that is very hard to find proper information for.

Also, if you like reading about it all and haven't heard of Ian Glasper's two books: The Day the Country Died and Burning Britain, I highly recommend both! The writing is a bit subpar but he isn't a professional writer; just a genuine fan of the music. You can get both on Amazon. Has anyone had a chance to read It Makes You Want to Spit! or No More Heroes? I'm really interested to check them both out.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Chumbawumba did an interview in Profane Existence a few months back that was really good. Definitely worth checking out

Slut Muffin
Apr 30, 2006

Hydrac7 posted:

Whoa, whoa, Paul Baribeau and Ghost Mice have a split? Why am I not aware of this? Or are you thinking of the Andrew Jackson Jihad/Ghost Mice split?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Slut Muffin posted:

Whoa, whoa, Paul Baribeau and Ghost Mice have a split? Why am I not aware of this? Or are you thinking of the Andrew Jackson Jihad/Ghost Mice split?

According to Wikipedia they have a split together. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Mice#Splits

heyleroy
Dec 14, 2005
watching a sunken ship
http://givepraiserecords.com/distro/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=195
if anyone has a bit of cash to spare and is into grind/metal/power violence stuff, check out our split 7" w/ weed steeler. we don't get money for these and the kid who runs give praise is a really great dude, so yeah. sorry if this seems spammy, but i figured there isn't anything wrong with helping a dude our who helped us out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slut Muffin
Apr 30, 2006

p0isonxfree posted:

According to Wikipedia they have a split together. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Mice#Splits

Neat, I'll have to check that out. I listen to far too much Paul Baribeau for my own good. "Grand Ledge" has been glued into my CD player.

Speaking of Andrew Jackson Jihad, I've been listening to them a lot lately. I really like the new album, "People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World". I like them better than Against Me!, although comparing them might be a stretch, definitely recent AM! anyway.

I've recently have been getting into Fall of Efrafa too, they're incredibly good.