Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

leica posted:

That's odd. I used to work at a Mazda dealer not too long ago, and the only cars that we put premium in were the turbo cars.

Nearly all the NBs called for premium...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)

grover posted:

You mean take out a 15-year, $25k home equity loan and deduct the interest from my taxes? heh. Same logic applies to early payment- long term gets the minimum payment down, but if you pay it off fast, you don't accrue the massive interest cost. I had actually considered this, except the interest rates are a full pt higher, so it would cost more in the long run.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think refinanced mortgage interest can be deducted unless the money goes into home improvements.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

grover posted:

I just can't peg your miata guys. I made a comment a few months ago about miatas being underpowered cars and was jumped on about how wrong I was, how fast they were, etc. Now I'm hearing the exact opposite? LOL! And no, it's not a dealbreaker. It's less power than I had expected, but there's still an engine under the hood.

Please tell me a Miata can at least take a PT Cruiser in a quarter mile though?
It really depends on how you phrase it. A lot of people will say the Miata is "slow" when they say it's underpowered. There's also usually a misunderstanding on how the Miata is fast.

Let me explain it in an easy to understand way. An F1 car is very fast, and a top fuel dragster is also very fast, but they are fast in completely different ways. An F1 car in a drag race is going to get embarrassed, just as a top fuel car is going to look awfully slow at Nurburgring. So which car is faster? Which one is "better"?

If you're expecting to romp on the throttle and judge speed that way, the Miata will seem awfully slow. On the other hand, get it on some twisty roads, and there's little you can't keep up with. On a racetrack, I've passed cars with three times the horsepower as my bone-stock 2000 Miata. For the money, it's pretty much impossible to go faster around a track.

But if you're wanting to do quarter mile racing, you're looking at the wrong car. That's just not the Miata's forte.

And I hate to say it, but please, please, please don't buy an automatic Miata. Mazda doesn't make very good automatics, and the Miata is effectively ruined with one. It will actually hurt your resale value. If you want an automatic and fast 0-60 times, get something else, as you'll only be disappointed.

However, if you want to learn how to drive, and go fast around a racetrack, I'm not sure there's a better car to learn on than a manual Miata. And if you do get a manual, you'll get over your "I can't drive stick very well" problem in about a week.

grover posted:

I noticed in the NC documentation that it require premium fuel. What's the drawback to using regular 87 octane? I imagine the computer would automatically adjust timing, etc, to compensate and prevent pinging- loss of power? Additional engine wear?

I downloaded the Boxster owner's manual last night, too. Several things stood out as rather frightening- for example, the only way to get to a dead battery is via electronic means to open the trunk. So, if it dies, you have to use this special trunk-opening stud in the fuse box to "jump open" the trunk with another car (or battery) to get to the battery. So, I'm leaning more towards the miata now ;) Guess that's incentive to keep jumper cables in the glove box, huh?
The NC takes premium? That's news to me, but appears to be true. You do realize the Boxster also takes premium, right? If you don't put premium in it, you will see reduced power, and you will be causing some damage to the engine due to pre-ignition and sub-optimal timing. The engine will adjust, but there is still going to be some pinging and knock before the sensors can detect it -- and on very hot days when you're trying to use all the power, it's going to ping like crazy anyway. One tank of gas probably isn't going to be a big deal, but a lifetime of poor quality gas? Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I have 2006 Porsche Cayman S. Yes, there are some "unique" issues with the Boxster. Maintenence is also going to cost a little more due to the inaccessability of the engine. Most things can be reached from underneath, but if they need to access the top of the engine, you're going to be spending mega-bucks.

Still, I think the Boxster is a better fit for you than the Miata. It's going to have more power and respond better to an automatic transmission. It's more of a GT car, while the Miata is closer to bare-bones sports car. If you want a sports car, it's hard to go wrong with a Miata, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want at all -- it sounds like you want a convertible you can cruise around in and "punch it" in between stop lights.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

grover posted:

So, if it dies, you have to use this special trunk-opening stud in the fuse box to "jump open" the trunk with another car (or battery) to get to the battery.

Wow, that's terrible. At least the Corvette gives you a mechanical cable override in the event you're unlucky enough to drain your battery.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wow, that's terrible. At least the Corvette gives you a mechanical cable override in the event you're unlucky enough to drain your battery.
Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds, you can use those terminals to jump the battery. So, really, rather than putting the jumpers right on the battery, you just put them on two studs in the passenger compartment.

But yes, if the battery is dead, you don't have a car or battery to jump from, and no one's trapped in the trunk (there's the default interior trunk release), then no, you're not getting in there.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Did Mazda change the rims' layout with the '94 facelift or just the design ?
In other words, will '95 rims fit on a 92' miata ?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

grover posted:

I noticed in the NC documentation that it require premium fuel. What's the drawback to using regular 87 octane? I imagine the computer would automatically adjust timing, etc, to compensate and prevent pinging- loss of power? Additional engine wear?

My 2007 recommends premium fuel, but is apparently happy enough to run on regular. I'm not a cheap rear end, so I go with the recommended gas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

duep posted:

Did Mazda change the rims' layout with the '94 facelift or just the design ?
In other words, will '95 rims fit on a 92' miata ?

Yes, they will. In fact, with few exceptions, nearly any NA/NB wheel can be used on nearly any other NA/NB car, the only exceptions being very early wheels with later larger brakes.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Thought you guys might appreciate these. Gainesville Miata Club (who knew?) in the University of Florida Homecoming Parade this weekend:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, they will. In fact, with few exceptions, nearly any NA/NB wheel can be used on nearly any other NA/NB car, the only exceptions being very early wheels with later larger brakes.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

einTier posted:

The NC takes premium? That's news to me, but appears to be true. You do realize the Boxster also takes premium, right? If you don't put premium in it, you will see reduced power, and you will be causing some damage to the engine due to pre-ignition and sub-optimal timing. The engine will adjust, but there is still going to be some pinging and knock before the sensors can detect it -- and on very hot days when you're trying to use all the power, it's going to ping like crazy anyway. One tank of gas probably isn't going to be a big deal, but a lifetime of poor quality gas? Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I have 2006 Porsche Cayman S. Yes, there are some "unique" issues with the Boxster. Maintenence is also going to cost a little more due to the inaccessability of the engine. Most things can be reached from underneath, but if they need to access the top of the engine, you're going to be spending mega-bucks.

Still, I think the Boxster is a better fit for you than the Miata. It's going to have more power and respond better to an automatic transmission. It's more of a GT car, while the Miata is closer to bare-bones sports car. If you want a sports car, it's hard to go wrong with a Miata, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want at all -- it sounds like you want a convertible you can cruise around in and "punch it" in between stop lights.
The Boxster manual says is requires 93 octane, but can take 90 octane if that's all that's available. Considering regular is $2.79 and 93 octane is $2.99, I don't think it'll break the bank. It might cost me $80 a year more. eh.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about these cars. Honestly, the only reason I started looking at roadsters was when I realized I could afford to buy a Porsche- before that, I was looking at maybe getting an xB or a Prius. I'm still not sure I can afford to own a Porsche, but the whole search lead to the 08 Miata which is pretty much everything I expected the Boxster to be, but half the price. Heck, if a 2003 NC existed, I'd probably have bought one last week, lol... It just sucks for me that the NB is so small.

So, anyhow, I don't mean to fag up the miata thread by whining about the Boxster, but I appreciate the excellent feedback, thanks guys! Here are some of my observations:

03 Boxster:
* More power than Miata (about 20% more torque-to-weight & another 74hp)
* lovely pop-out cupholder (owners manual says "never have a drink in the cupholder while driving" lol)
* lovely stereo system
* No mp3 player on 2003s; no practical way to add one aftermarket
* Obscene maintenance costs
* Obscene repair costs
* Big blind spot while the top is up
* Spare Tire
* Excellent tiptronic transmission
* Lots of unnecessary fancy poo poo to break
* Some of the fancy poo poo is kinda nice, even if unnecessary
* Frustrating design choices, like the dead battery thing.
* It's a Porsche. Even if it's "just" a Boxster, it's still a Porsche and I'll be driving a Porsche like I dreamt about as a kid :dance:
* Still a $50k car, even if it's only $25k used
* Already 5 years old - lower dependability.

08 Miata:
* Not as much power as the Boxster
* Under warranty
* Cheap maintanance- no repair costs expected
* Lots of cupholders
* Simpler mechanically (manual top, manual gas cap, manual hood, etc)
* Brand new- dependable as a daily driver
* Poor automatic transmission
* Decent sound system, even on base models
* mp3 player available as an option

My commute is 20 miles each way- mix of highway and city, and always in traffic. Will be nice to drive with the top down on nice days, but, sadly, I'm not going to be able to drive either car the way it aught to be driven 95% of the time. I enjoy the handling of my camaro and ability to corner fast- either car will be able to corner faster than I'm comfortable with. But the #1 purpose of this car will be a dependable and comfortable daily driver. Seemingly superficial things like cupholders and the mp3 player are thus very important in my decision.

PeterWeller posted:

My 2007 recommends premium fuel, but is apparently happy enough to run on regular. I'm not a cheap rear end, so I go with the recommended gas.
Thought so, thanks!

grover fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 6, 2007

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
German engineering! :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
And yes, that is the ONLY cupholder:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Binger Banger
Oct 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl

grover posted:

twelve page dissertation comparing a miata to a porsche to a v6 camaro

Why are you looking at a Miata, again? What do you want out of your car other than AI cred ++? It seems like somebody looking for an automatic transmission and the INCREDIBLE POWER OF THE CAMARO V6 with a 'vert would be more in the market for a mustang or a sebring something, not a miata.

edit: People have cupholders in their miatas?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Binger Banger posted:

NO SIR YOU ARE THE MORON. Do you, moron, not understand helldump?

Can I call the NC a bloated, hideous piece of poo poo that's got nothing to do with what the NA/NB are about without getting banned in here? Hey guys let's add weight and slap our disgusting parts bin fender flares on it, loving brilliant. Even the NBs were trying way too hard to look like a radical xtreme mini rx-7, but at least they perform. Buying an NC because it doesn't look "dated" is asinine. I'm going to go ahead and recommend you buy the automatic if you're going to buy an NC because it looks nice and has a pretty interior.
Because I happen to like the NC Miata, am excited about purchasing my next car, and am getting a lot of excellent feedback regarding my options? I'll be spending 2 hours a day in this car for the next 5+ years, so I want to buy the right car.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Some interesting news for the NC owners.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-talk/viewtopic.php?t=883

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TooLShack posted:

Looks nice, but 5 grand for 60 horse power? Jesus Christ.

Binger Banger
Oct 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl

grover posted:

Because I happen to like the NC Miata, am excited about purchasing my next car, and am getting a lot of excellent feedback regarding my options? I'll be spending 2 hours a day in this car for the next 5+ years, so I want to buy the right car.

It's got nothing to do with the fact that it's an NC; it's that you've mentioned both a Porsche and a Camaro and a Miata seems like it's going to leave you unsatisfied in some department if you're comparing it to either of those. I mean, really, these are slow cars we're talking about. They get even slower with an automatic. I won't knock on automatics, but a Miata is not the car to get if you need one. You're going to be frustrated and wondering why your car is such a pig.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

leica posted:

That's odd. I used to work at a Mazda dealer not too long ago, and the only cars that we put premium in were the turbo cars.
01+ Miatas don't strictly require it, but they'll run with a more advanced timing if premium is in there.

And if anyone is thinking of picking up anything from Flyin' Miata soon, they are currently having a moving sale, 10-30% off some of their bulkier items: http://www.flyinmiata.com/news/sale.php

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Binger Banger posted:

It's got nothing to do with the fact that it's an NC; it's that you've mentioned both a Porsche and a Camaro and a Miata seems like it's going to leave you unsatisfied in some department if you're comparing it to either of those. I mean, really, these are slow cars we're talking about. They get even slower with an automatic. I won't knock on automatics, but a Miata is not the car to get if you need one. You're going to be frustrated and wondering why your car is such a pig.

Of course I'm comparing this to my Camaro- I've driven it for 8 years, it's my main point of comparison. But you're neglecting the fact that my camaro is 13-years old, past its prime which was never all that fast to begin with. And the Boxster, for all its cost and bells and whistles, isn't all that much more powerful than the miata. (I'm not being sarcastic when I talk about cupholders and mp3 player, you know.)

2008 Miata: 2500lbs, 166hp, 140ft-lbs. 112ft-lbs per ton.
2008 Boxster: 3000lbs, 240hp, 199ft-lbs. 132ft-lbs per ton. (I think the 2003 is similar.)
1994 Camaro: 3500lbs, 165hp, 200ft-lbs. 114ft-lbs per ton.

The Miata has a much better power-weight ratio than my old Camaro, though acceleration should be comparable. The Boxster has 18% more torque-to-weight, and 20% more power-to-weight. Which would be important if I was accelerating to pass at 120mph on the autobahn, but not so important sitting in gridlock on Rt 64 or racing from red-light to red-light. So, the Boxster having more power is a plus, but it's not THAT much more, not like a Boxster S or Carerra would be. I'm not even considering a Solstice/Sky because they're so shoddily built.

Nobody cares, but I finally got off my rear end to check out the nasty squeal and terrible chassis squeak in my camaro, which I took to me signs that my car is falling about and the the engine about to give out at any moment. The chassis squeak is apparently just coming from the right front wheel whenever the shock compresses. I took the tire off and drenched oil on every joint I could find, but still squeaks. Annoying, but not fatal. And the high-pitched squeal is not a vacuum leak like I thought, but just the alternator failing, yet again. (Will be #7 since I've had the car. At least this one held out 4 years! I AM really good at changing them now, LOL.) I was actually hoping the car would die soon so I'd have a good excuse to buy an awesome new roadster, but, alas, they're not portents of imminent engine failure like I'd hoped :(

grover fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 6, 2007

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

grover posted:

I'm not even considering a Solstice/Sky because they're so shoddily built.

No. This is retarded, both of those cars (well since they are the same car) are built just fine. They are probably more comparable to the miata, though they are a little more powerful. They would probably also not make great daily drivers since they have very little cargo space.

I'm also very confused as to why you are cross shopping boxsters and miatas. They aren't exactly in the same class other then that they are both roadsters. I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before or not, but why are you not considering S2000s? As far as I know you can get a used one for cheaper then a boxter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hell, why not a C5 Corvette? That's one car I wouldn't mind with an automatic. It would also be a great daily driver.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Valt posted:

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before or not, but why are you not considering S2000s?
They're too small, I simply don't fit. Also, the blind spot with the top up is terrible, and they don't offer an automatic transmission. I'm considering a 2003-ish Z4, too, but I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet.

Solstice/Sky have a terrible reliability record for a brand new car; I'd hate to think how much time it'll spend in the shop 5 years from now. I may still stop by sometime and check them out closer, but I dunno.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 6, 2007

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Binger Banger posted:

Mine sure as hell doesn't have one. Some people flip around the top of the ash tray to turn it into a sort of cup holder (it'll hold a 20oz soda bottle), but that's where I keep my change.

TooLShack posted:

Wow, no thanks. For that money, I'll stick with Flyin' Miata's turbo kit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Binger Banger posted:

My 95 has cupholders in the center console behind the shifter. It's a plastic piece that you can pop in and out. I also have an ash tray that goes in the same place. The cupholder is better though, since I use it to hold my iPod. If you put a real drink in their it gets in the way of the shifter, though.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

grover posted:

They're too small, I simply don't fit. Also, the blind spot with the top up is terrible, and they don't offer an automatic transmission. I'm considering a 2003-ish Z4, too, but I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet.

Huh learn something new everyday. I wasn't even aware that they didn't come with an automatic. I just kind of guessed that they did, since they are after all Hondas. Is there some reason you are avoiding corvettes? I imagine that it would be pretty easy to find one in the 20 grand range that was really nice one for that kind of price. It is probably going to have more cargo room, be MUCH faster and much more up your alley then any of the other cars you have listed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ulf posted:

And if anyone is thinking of picking up anything from Flyin' Miata soon, they are currently having a moving sale, 10-30% off some of their bulkier items: http://www.flyinmiata.com/news/sale.php

Looks like I'm getting some sways this year :v:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

mobn posted:

Wow, no thanks. For that money, I'll stick with Flyin' Miata's turbo kit.

What kit, I see nothing on their site.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

TooLShack posted:

What kit, I see nothing on their site.

They offer like 4 different turbo kits and 2 supercharger kits. I'm leaning much more towards the Bell Engineering kits though, pricier but seem to be much better components.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/turbos/index.php

vvv Oh, didnt know it was for an NC.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 6, 2007

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I see no kit for a NC(2006+), that was my original link was for.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ulf posted:

01+ Miatas don't strictly require it, but they'll run with a more advanced timing if premium is in there.

I just got their postcard in the mail today :)

Shame my money situation sucks, I would love to pick up a deal on a rollbar

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Looks like I'm getting some sways this year :v:

I've got their sways. I'd suggest you also get new end links at the same time, since you'll have the sways off anyway, and fully adjustable end links do make a bit of difference with the thicker sways.

Well, that, and if your car is like mine, we had to blowtorch the bolts off of the endlinks because they were so rusty. So you'll want new ones anyway.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

mobn posted:

Well, that, and if your car is like mine, we had to blowtorch the bolts off of the endlinks because they were so rusty. So you'll want new ones anyway.
That's because you're in Wisconsin. Mine came off like the day they were made, since they spent their life in NV.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aftermarket sways just make Miatas understeer. So what it the car has a bit of body roll.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

leica posted:

Aftermarket sways just make Miatas understeer. So what it the car has a bit of body roll.

Mine's still dead neutral. The FM sways are adjustable, so you just have to make the back a bit stiffer than the front. I could make it oversteer if I wanted to (but gently caress, snow's coming, so no way).

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM

leica posted:

Stiffer sways are just silly solid axle conversion kits, unless you're trying to meet competition rules and can't change other suspension components. Why add sways to reduce the independence of your suspension?

edit: to be clear, stiffening a swaybar reduces traction at that end.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

vex posted:

Stiffer sways are just silly solid axle conversion kits, unless you're trying to meet competition rules and can't change other suspension components. Why add sways to reduce the independence of your suspension?

edit: to be clear, stiffening a swaybar reduces traction at that end.

I know people that remove the rear bar to help the car steer better for autoX. Never had the chance to try it myself though, it could be an interesting experiment.

I put a set of used Racing Beat sways that my buddy had lying around on my '91 just to see how it would feel. He warned me about them, but I had to find out the hard way. I was taking an on ramp at the usual speed I was used to, and almost went off the road because the car was pushing so bad. I took them off the next day.

Bear Report
Aug 27, 2005

Only superstars... like me.
I always thought you Miata guys were a little crazy, but I drove a Mazdaspeed MX-5 today and all I can say is WOW. Few cars I have ever driven that have put such a big grin on my face, and none have been so confidence inspiring when it comes to really throwing it into curves. When I go car shopping next spring I think a Miata is going to be on the top of my list.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bear Report posted:

I always thought you Miata guys were a little crazy, but I drove a Mazdaspeed MX-5 today and all I can say is WOW. Few cars I have ever driven that have put such a big grin on my face, and none have been so confidence inspiring when it comes to really throwing it into curves. When I go car shopping next spring I think a Miata is going to be on the top of my list.

Another one sees the light.

:gay:

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I was looking at a miata the other day that had somewhat noticable valve play.
Is it common in the NA models to hear the valves do their business or should I stay away from that car ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

mobn posted:

Mine's still dead neutral. The FM sways are adjustable, so you just have to make the back a bit stiffer than the front. I could make it oversteer if I wanted to (but gently caress, snow's coming, so no way).
Disconnect them to drive in snow, you only have to disconnect one side.