Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I don't have time to post a sample at the moment, but I will do if nobody has any luck otherwise.

I have a M.I.A./KMFDM mashup on my iPod called 'Gun Powder', the M.I.A. track that it uses is 'Bucky Done Gun' but I've never been able to identify the KMFDM track... any ideas?

Anyway, I can get a sample posted in the next few days, if it will help.

The song is called Power, it's on the album Xtort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

The song is called Power, it's on the album Xtort.

Awesome, thankyou.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I'm not a jazz guy at all, so sorry I don't have any way to offer similar sounding artists or anything.

I was listening to a college station that doesn't have spinitron or anything online and I heard this jazz song, but with a sort of rythmic narrative over it. The guy was just barely using a sing-song voice and I think he was describing his life and how jazz influenced it. At one point he was talking about how his mother would tell him to turn down his records, and he yelled back at her "this is XYZ, don't you understand?". But XYZ was the name of some jazz guy who's name I knew from general pop culture knowledge but I quickly forgot.

It was a really neat song and I'd be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

GentlemanLoser posted:

I hope this is the right place for this, I'm trying to think of the name for a subgenre of music.

It was basically a set of rules around 2000 (I think) with things that emphasized the machine making the music, not the people. Things like no human voices, that kind of thing. I want to say it was called dog00, but that's not right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogma00

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
This is going to sound really weird, but I need to figure out a Greenday song. I know it's Greenday because I remember listening to it around 3-4 years ago. I think I have part of it on guitar, this is what I have so far.

LEGEND
* - above the chord means you lift your fingers off after you strum down once, essentially muting the strings after you play them.
U - above the chord means upstroke
If there is nothing above the chord, you downward stroke

-----*-*--*-*--*-*--U---U-
e|---7-7--5-5--3-3--2-2-2-2
B|---7-7--5-5--3-3--2-2-2-2
G|---8-8--6-6--4-4--3-3-3-3 X3
D|---9-9--7-7--5-5--4-4-4-4
A|---9-9--7-7--5-5--4-4-4-4
E|---7-7--5-5--3-3--2-2-2-2

-----*--*--*----U---U--
e|---7--5--3-3--2-2-2-2
B|---7--5--3-3--2-2-2-2
G|---8--6--4-4--3-3-3-3 After this, play the part above over again.
D|---9--7--5-5--4-4-4-4
A|---9--7--5-5--4-4-4-4
E|---7--5--3-3--2-2-2-2

Sorry if that isn't enough information for someone to identify it or if the tabs are in any way confusing. Also about the length of the post, if I attempted to post the tabs side by side then it would mess them up. I never was good at tabbing things. Also, this may be wrong and I'm just lovely at hearing things/telling time if the year is off. Thanks for any help.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

This is going to sound really weird, but I need to figure out a Greenday song. I know it's Greenday because I remember listening to it around 3-4 years ago. I think I have part of it on guitar, this is what I have so far.

LEGEND
* - above the chord means you lift your fingers off after you strum down once, essentially muting the strings after you play them.
U - above the chord means upstroke
If there is nothing above the chord, you downward stroke

-----*-*--*-*--*-*--U---U-
e|---7-7--5-5--3-3--2-2-2-2
B|---7-7--5-5--3-3--2-2-2-2
G|---8-8--6-6--4-4--3-3-3-3 X3
D|---9-9--7-7--5-5--4-4-4-4
A|---9-9--7-7--5-5--4-4-4-4
E|---7-7--5-5--3-3--2-2-2-2

-----*--*--*----U---U--
e|---7--5--3-3--2-2-2-2
B|---7--5--3-3--2-2-2-2
G|---8--6--4-4--3-3-3-3 After this, play the part above over again.
D|---9--7--5-5--4-4-4-4
A|---9--7--5-5--4-4-4-4
E|---7--5--3-3--2-2-2-2

Sorry if that isn't enough information for someone to identify it or if the tabs are in any way confusing. Also about the length of the post, if I attempted to post the tabs side by side then it would mess them up. I never was good at tabbing things. Also, this may be wrong and I'm just lovely at hearing things/telling time if the year is off. Thanks for any help.

I don't have my guitar here, but the tab looks like Brain Stew.

EDIT: Could also very well be Hitching A Ride

From Earth fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 5, 2007

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Indie rock, heard on college radio, poor/lowfi production.

Beginning lyrics are something like "It was the seventies, Jimmy Carter was president, we ... gasoline."

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
argh there was a song i think with a sample of a man saying "my eyes, my eyes, look ONLY at my eyes!" and i just saw shogun assassin three and that line (and dude) were in the movie and i knew i had heard it before and now it's driving me out of my goddamn mind

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Classic rock, my guess is 80s.

It's not Led Zeppelin, but they use lyrics and stuff from many different Zep songs, one that's used prominently is Whole Lotta' Love.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Two One song that are driving me up the wall, simply because I can't remember the bloody thing.

Both by male singers, the first is rockish... "Long long time ago... what ??? what ??? you know". The "ago" spans multiple notes.

Edit: Got the second one, drat it!

GoonyMcGoonface fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 6, 2007

tritoch
Feb 4, 2007
I ripped this song from a Snowboard DVD called Optimistic from a company called Absinthe. Folk/bluesy, with unclear lyrics.

edit: found it - http://www.myspace.com/elliottbrood 'Cadillac Dust'

tritoch fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2007

Ghark
Nov 20, 2004
hrm a band request actually, but didn't feel proper to start a whole new thread about it. I read about a new band that's apparently doing really well sales wise that isn't signed to a major record label - i read about them months ago and no amount of google searching can seem to help me find them again. They are a rock band with a similar sound to the Smashing Pumpkins apparently (of which I used to be a big fan). That's about all i can tell you, anyone able to steer me in the right direction?

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

John Q Russia posted:

I'm not a jazz guy at all, so sorry I don't have any way to offer similar sounding artists or anything.

I was listening to a college station that doesn't have spinitron or anything online and I heard this jazz song, but with a sort of rythmic narrative over it. The guy was just barely using a sing-song voice and I think he was describing his life and how jazz influenced it. At one point he was talking about how his mother would tell him to turn down his records, and he yelled back at her "this is XYZ, don't you understand?". But XYZ was the name of some jazz guy who's name I knew from general pop culture knowledge but I quickly forgot.

It was a really neat song and I'd be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Going on the assumption that you remembered it wrong, and I can take some liberties with your description...could it be Medeski Martin and Wood - Whatever Happened to Gus?

I can't find a sample, but I'm sure if you search around for a while you'll find something.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Ghark posted:

hrm a band request actually, but didn't feel proper to start a whole new thread about it. I read about a new band that's apparently doing really well sales wise that isn't signed to a major record label - i read about them months ago and no amount of google searching can seem to help me find them again. They are a rock band with a similar sound to the Smashing Pumpkins apparently (of which I used to be a big fan). That's about all i can tell you, anyone able to steer me in the right direction?

maybe them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silversun_Pickups

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Can anyone help me identify this song? It's been driving my wife and I nuts. We got it on a mix CD an ex boyfriend made her, she's always loved the song, but it had no liner notes.

Edit: Duh, I can type... I swear. Link is fixed.

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 6, 2007

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

junyatwin posted:

Can anyone help me identify this song? It's been driving my wife and I nuts. We got it on a mix CD an ex boyfriend made her, she's always loved the song, but it had no liner notes.

Not Found

The requested URL /~junya/music/unkown.mp3 was not found on this server.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

junyatwin posted:

Edit: Duh, I can type... I swear. Link is fixed.

Sounds like maybe Blue Man Group. I could be wrong, but that's the only place I've ever heard that particular sound. I'm not real familiar with their music, though, so I'm not able to guess at a particular song.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
rock song: chorus goes something like, "I'll give up everything if you stand by my side" Lead vox has sort of a raspy voice. I heard it in my friends car recently, I thought it was the radio but could have been a CD so not necessarily a new song.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I can only remember parts of the chorus to this one; one starts off "I wanna be like David Bowie" and another goes like "I wanna be like Frank Sinatra"

it's only a few years or so old, I think...

any ideas?

Posh Submarine
Jul 1, 2007

SimianNinja posted:

I can only remember parts of the chorus to this one; one starts off "I wanna be like David Bowie" and another goes like "I wanna be like Frank Sinatra"

it's only a few years or so old, I think...

any ideas?

"David Bowie" by Big Sky.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Sweetwater Kill posted:

Sounds like maybe Blue Man Group. I could be wrong, but that's the only place I've ever heard that particular sound. I'm not real familiar with their music, though, so I'm not able to guess at a particular song.

Thank You! Turns out it's Club Nowhere off of the Audio CD. You rule!

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

spf3million posted:

rock song: chorus goes something like, "I'll give up everything if you stand by my side" Lead vox has sort of a raspy voice. I heard it in my friends car recently, I thought it was the radio but could have been a CD so not necessarily a new song.

I only googled the lyrics so I can't say for sure if this is the right song.

Band is Maylene And The Sons of Disaster, the album is II, and the song is Dry the River.

Allmusic described this band as metal/southern rock so the raspy voice would make sense. However the lyrics are technically "I'll take back everything if you'll stay by my side." Not exact but close enough; hope this is what you were looking for.

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
"Be a good robot" was announced to be the title of the song I'm looking for; it was on a local station which doesn't have online playlists. It is NOT by the vandals and had a very psychedelic style. No amount of googling has helped me find this.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Heavy synth with female singer. Released very recently. I always thought she was singing about race cars/space cars in the chorus? Chorus has like three big bass/synth hits in it.

Posh Submarine
Jul 1, 2007

Kicked Throat posted:

Heavy synth with female singer. Released very recently. I always thought she was singing about race cars/space cars in the chorus? Chorus has like three big bass/synth hits in it.

The only thing that comes to mind is "Le Disko" by Shiny Toy Guns. Although it isn't that recent...

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Posh Submarine posted:

The only thing that comes to mind is "Le Disko" by Shiny Toy Guns. Although it isn't that recent...
My mistake, but hey that's it. Thanks.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Alright, this is kind of a long shot, but I've been hearing this in my head for so long and I can only really describe it in terms of the guitar riff.

It's a song I heard on some commercial, I think. The only lyric I remember sounded something like "we're ready to rock this city tonight," but a google search for that brings up nothing.

What I really remember, though, was the guitar riff that was repeated through out the song. I'm fairly sure it was in the key of D something, probably minor, or at least the bass was playing D. The guitar riff went something like this (crude, but the best I can do for now):

(8th notes are swung, each ' is an 8th note)
code:
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '
    G   F#    F   F   F A#  A
The riff is, if I remember correctly, repeated after every line of vocals: 2 measures of singing, and then the riff which is 2 measures. I don't remember the chorus at all. That's a really crude description, if anyone has a better way of writing it down please show me. That's all I remember about the song. That riff has been stuck in my head for a long time now. Please help me!

EDIT: Ok, here's another one: I was watching the Ohio State vs. Illinois game, and this song came up during a commercial for the Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition. I know I've heard this song before... what is it?

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 10, 2007

Karma Sutra
Oct 22, 2006

by Lowtax
Me and a few others were doing calls on skype, and while on hold at walmart, we hear this ridiculous rendition of ave maria.

http://www.filegunner.net/uploadedfiles/6299472007-11-10%2022-49-01.mp3

Does anyone recognize it?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Judge Friendly posted:

Band is Maylene And The Sons of Disaster, the album is II, and the song is Dry the River.

Yes that's it thanks! My googling skills apparently need some work

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
I went to see Band of Horses play the other night, and while the band was setting up this song was playing on the pre-recorded ambient music doohickey. Anyway, the track featured what sounded like an electric sitar, some beats and lyrics near the middle/ end.

There aren't many electric sitar tracks out there so maybe someone can help me out.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

Alright, I'm having trouble here. The song I'm looking for is played in the film Goodfellas, it's played at the start of the scene where Henry gets paranoid about a helicopter following him. Any ideas?

Edit: The lyrics at the start are ''You can climb a Mountain'' if that helps narrow it down a little

Posh Submarine
Jul 1, 2007

Sleazoid posted:

Alright, I'm having trouble here. The song I'm looking for is played in the film Goodfellas, it's played at the start of the scene where Henry gets paranoid about a helicopter following him. Any ideas?

Edit: The lyrics at the start are ''You can climb a Mountain'' if that helps narrow it down a little

"Jump into the Fire" by Harry Nilsson.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Posh Submarine posted:

"David Bowie" by Big Sky.

Thank you! You have saved my sanity! I have no idea why, but I simply could not find out what this was called...

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar
This song uses the same sample as Lil Wayne's La La La, the one with the high voice. The hook says "Im a joker, Im a smoker, Im a big blunt roller". Ive put almost every search string I can think of into google to no avail. Can anyone help here?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

glucose posted:

This song uses the same sample as Lil Wayne's La La La, the one with the high voice. The hook says "Im a joker, Im a smoker, Im a big blunt roller". Ive put almost every search string I can think of into google to no avail. Can anyone help here?

steve miller, "the joker"

and it's "i'm a midnite toker", not a "big blunt roller"

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar
I had no idea Steve Miller used samples in his music, in any case its a rap song just in case that wasnt immediately obvious.

Some Cool Guy
May 14, 2007

by angerbotSD
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qhqq_ladder-defends-title-in-battle-roya_sport

The song at the very end of the video. (Approximately 12:25) Those opening chords have been haunting me for months.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

glucose posted:

I had no idea Steve Miller used samples in his music, in any case its a rap song just in case that wasnt immediately obvious.

dude steve miller sang the song from which your sample in question originated...

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar

PLUMP RUMP 2K4 posted:

dude steve miller sang the song from which your sample in question originated...

Ok I guess I just havent been clear. The sample in the song I want is the same one from Lil Wayne's La La La(I dont know what this is), the track that I am looking for also has for a hook "I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a big blunt roller"(this isnt a sample, this is what the hook literally is. Some rapper singing this line)

Forget Steve miller here, some rapper just took his chorus and changed it around for a hook.

Gentle Marmot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

glucose posted:

Ok I guess I just havent been clear. The sample in the song I want is the same one from Lil Wayne's La La La(I dont know what this is)

An iTunes search isn't turning up a Lil Wayne song called La La La. Is it possible that it has a different name?