Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Slut Muffin posted:

Neat, I'll have to check that out. I listen to far too much Paul Baribeau for my own good. "Grand Ledge" has been glued into my CD player.

Speaking of Andrew Jackson Jihad, I've been listening to them a lot lately. I really like the new album, "People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World". I like them better than Against Me!, although comparing them might be a stretch, definitely recent AM! anyway.

I've recently have been getting into Fall of Efrafa too, they're incredibly good.

Yeah, Fall of Efrafa is sick
I just started listening to them the other day, but they rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
I saw Andrew Jackson Jihad with Ghost Mice on Monday and it was really awesome. I'm really a big fan of Andrew Jackson Jihad because it's like the vocals of the Mountain Goats with the music of Defiance, Ohio.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Slut Muffin posted:

Whoa, whoa, Paul Baribeau and Ghost Mice have a split? Why am I not aware of this? Or are you thinking of the Andrew Jackson Jihad/Ghost Mice split?

I really love Paul's cover of Good Life off it. Then again Good Life is just a really great song.

Speaking of which...
I saw Ghost Mice tonight. Chris's voice went out and I ended up having to sing half their songs because nobody else in the audience knew them. And then their equipment kept breaking... so they brought out Paul Baribeau. Definitely the best surprise a boy could get. He played about 5 songs, and then another because nobody would let him leave. I cried a bit when he played Boys Like Me. I think I was the only person who'd heard him before then, but everybody I talked to fell in love with him. He is amazingly energetic. Makes singing about christmas cookie kisses punx as gently caress.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and listen to the new Celeste. It's incredible.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Hydrac7 posted:

Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and listen to the new Celeste. It's incredible.

Yes, agreed.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Hydrac7 posted:

Jeez dudes, I told you all to listen to it in the last thread but like only one or two guys did.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Parachute Underwear posted:

Jeez dudes, I told you all to listen to it in the last thread but like only one or two guys did.

I must not have seen it but I had been rocking Pessimiste(s) for awhile and now I can rock Nihiliste(s).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Hydrac7 posted:

I must not have seen it but I had been rocking Pessimiste(s) for awhile and now I can rock Nihiliste(s).

http://denovali.com/celeste/download.php

in case any of you want it.

Celeste's label posted:

we have started the preorder for the new CELESTE - NIHILISTE(S) CD/LP to gain some money in order to pay for the pressing. But since you probably would not like to preorder a record you haven't listened to before, we have decided to make the full album available for download from our side. we support downloading music, especially as a way of getting to know unknown releases. But of course we are also record lovers, so if you want to be our personal heroes, you can preorder the record and help us releasing it faster. If you just download the mp3-album and like it, but still do not want to buy the record, that's cool for us. Probably you still would like to "donate" a few bucks to support the labels and the band in that case.

Thanks,

Sons of Vesta, Denovali and CELESTE

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
on the post hardcore tip, the Blood Brothers have broken up.

This makes me incredibly sad.

SpacePiper
Jun 16, 2003
Hippo [NOT FURRY]

Biscuit Hammer posted:

Are you a Gainesville local? I didn't hear about this house show, and I wish I had :(

Not at the moment, I'm off at college in Clemson, SC. That's where the show was. I'll be back in Gainesville in May!

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me
Anyone going to day 1 of This is Not a Fest at Gilman tonight?

edit: Gehenna may or may not play.

Built for Brutality fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 9, 2007

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Can't wait to get home and jam to the new Celeste. Pessimiste(S) was some really good poo poo.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Built for Brutality posted:

Anyone going to day 1 of This is Not a Fest at Gilman tonight?

edit: Gehenna may or may not play.

Are you kidding me? I think I know someone who's flown out especially to see them. From the UK.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Matt, what is the general opinion over in England (especially I guess amongst the '77 crowd) of American hardcore from the 80s? I ask because when I saw Henry Rollins talk he was talking about his experience lead singing for the Ruts farewell show and he thought it seemed that they thought he couldn't pull it off initially (obviously changed their minds afterwards).

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

MattWPBS posted:

Are you kidding me? I think I know someone who's flown out especially to see them. From the UK.

I heard a rumor or something that they are breaking up and not playing anymore shows?

EDIT: Also I won't be up in the bay area until like 8 or 9 tonight so it looks like I won't make it. I'll be there tomorrow and Sunday morning for sure though.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
What exactly is the fest at Gilman tonight? One of my friends is going to see this band 108 and my I'm sort of interested in it. What kind of music is played with the bands tonight?

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me

Phillyt posted:

What exactly is the fest at Gilman tonight? One of my friends is going to see this band 108 and my I'm sort of interested in it. What kind of music is played with the bands tonight?

hardcore. 108 is kinda bad. I didn't like them the first time they were a band and I still don't but they do put on one hell of a performance. Plus Gehenna is actually playing. Can't loving wait.

DonnyOsmond
Nov 3, 2004

The flesh of fallen angels!
Is anyone here a fan of Career Suicide? They are loving awesome, if you haven't had the chance to listen to them.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Built for Brutality posted:

hardcore. 108 is kinda bad. I didn't like them the first time they were a band and I still don't but they do put on one hell of a performance. Plus Gehenna is actually playing. Can't loving wait.

Kinda bad? They are terrible, IMO.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

p0isonxfree posted:

Kinda bad? They are terrible, IMO.

Yeah agreed.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
I personally love the new 108 record.

Also, great video, In Defence playing Taco Johns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5b172JK57g

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I don't really like that hardcore stuff so I decided not to go to that show at Berkeley. How was it?

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Dillinger posted:

Also, great video, In Defence playing Taco Johns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5b172JK57g

Recorded im not nuts about In Defence but my god do they put on an awsome show.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

GAUZE. New album in a few months. Snort a can of coffee and get stoked.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

ChaosNonMusica posted:

GAUZE. New album in a few months. Snort a can of coffee and get stoked.

That is loving AWESOME! Do you have a link to the source of this news or is it just a rumor? What label is putting it out?

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

EvilRobot posted:

That is loving AWESOME! Do you have a link to the source of this news or is it just a rumor? What label is putting it out?

My Japanese friend Kazu from Osaka posted a bulliten on myspace this morning saying that they would be releasing a new album in a few months. Seems like a pretty reliable source to me. I assume it will just be on their own XXX Records.

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me
Gehenna did not play. Instead they drank, smoked, ate a burrito, and played lovely rap music.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Anyone see this?

Life At These Speeds posted:

FINAL COMMUNIQUE, WITH THANKS TO ALL

One last time, blog...

Life At These Speeds has run its course, the band shall play no more. The end has been in sight for some time and though due to no ill occurrence, the moment has passed and the amps are turned off.

We feel as though LATS was a very worthy venture, as evidenced, if by nothing else, than by the length of the list of friends we owe to its existence. A great many thanks are heaped upon each and every one, known and unkown. These sentiments are conveyed with the utmost sincerity and with the hope that we shall meet again in the future.

As always, take great care,
Life At These Speeds

STOP FINAL BLOG

Now I feel infinitely worse about missing Funeral Diner and LATS last summer. Add them to the list of awesome bands to break up this year.. :cry:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

ddonahue99 posted:

Anyone see this?

Now I feel infinitely worse about missing Funeral Diner and LATS last summer. Add them to the list of awesome bands to break up this year.. :cry:

gently caress :(

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

ddonahue99 posted:

Anyone see this?

Noooooo are you serious? 2007 is the emo graveyard.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Seriously, gently caress 2007.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ddonahue99 posted:

Anyone see this?

:( God damnit.

SatansFingers
Jul 23, 2007
One of top 3 contenders after weeks of debate.

Arson Equity posted:

There was a rumor Chumbawumba was supposed to play nevermind the ballots era stuff about four or five years ago but it never surfaced.

That would be aweseome, but I think the closest we're gonna get to experiencing what Chumbawamba were like live back in the day is TL/RX's cover of 'I Never Gave up'; which is ace by the way.

Chumbawamba tend to play lots of festivals and such now, where most of the audience isn't really familiar with thier stuff so they play songs that are easy for people to sing along to.

I'm pretty sure that the best moment of my life was at EFMF last year at the session* with Chumbawamba, K'Naan and Show of Hands. Chumbawamba were the first to play, so Boff stood up and said "Well I'm not sure what exactly we're supposed to do" so I yelled out "Homophobia" and the accordionist (I think it was Richard at the time) played the opening chords before anyone had a chance to disagree.

*Basically, folk fests (at least in Alberta) work like this: there is one main stage, and a bunch of smaller stages scattered around the festival grounds. On the smaller stages there are full sets by bands that didn't get onto the main stage, and sessions. A session is 2-4 bands/artists on the stage at one time, it's supposed to be kind of like a jam session, but how it usually ends up is 2-4 different sets all going on, with one band playing, then the next, so on and so forth.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

SatansFingers posted:

*Basically, folk fests (at least in Alberta) work like this: there is one main stage, and a bunch of smaller stages scattered around the festival grounds. On the smaller stages there are full sets by bands that didn't get onto the main stage, and sessions. A session is 2-4 bands/artists on the stage at one time, it's supposed to be kind of like a jam session, but how it usually ends up is 2-4 different sets all going on, with one band playing, then the next, so on and so forth.

Talking about the Etown folk fest? Its usually rad but these year was a letdown. Come on, City and Colour headline? :( Always lots of "gypsy" punks though.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
oh holy poo poo Taken is playing a reunion show in march at chain reaction. They need to stop fagging around in Mikoto and Circa Survive and do some new material.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Mike_V posted:

Matt, what is the general opinion over in England (especially I guess amongst the '77 crowd) of American hardcore from the 80s? I ask because when I saw Henry Rollins talk he was talking about his experience lead singing for the Ruts farewell show and he thought it seemed that they thought he couldn't pull it off initially (obviously changed their minds afterwards).

It's pretty much a different crowd, and some of them still have an attitude that nothing that came after counts for anything. Mainly that just seemed like a strange combination - The Ruts with Rollins singing. It's not who you'd immediately think of, is it?

This weekend was all about the Zatopeks in Guildford. Class Ramones style punk stuff - half of them live in London, and half have moved to Berlin. Kind of makes band practices hard for them, but they're loving ace. That was Saturday, Sunday was a free all dayer in Brighton.

The lovely Limits were the highlight of that. Trust me, you definitely want to listen to stuff by this band. On repeat. A lot. Two 7"s out on December 1st. Dumb thing was this Toronto psychobilly band called Creepshow playing. Not for what they played, but for selling shirts for £14, and CDs for £12. Paid less than that at Brixton Academy for a Carter USM shirt.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Hot Water Music has some tour dates listed. Apparently tickets went on sale Saturday.

1/19 - Orlando, FL @ House of Blues
1/25 - Sayerville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
2/2 - Chicago, IL @ The Metro

Their website is sort of updated and has some more info.

quote:

Q: Are you guys still doing The Draft and Chuck solo stuff?
A: Yes, very much so.

Q: Are you going to do another HWM record?
A: We haven’t even rehearsed the old poo poo yet.

Q: How many HWM shows are you going to do?
A: We haven’t put a limit on it, but it’s not anything we’ve really thought about, either.

Q: What/how many songs are you guys going to be playing?
A: Who knows/ a bunch, hopefully. We’re working on a way to incorporate you all on the set making a bit. Not too much, though. You guys like some terrible songs.

We really, honestly don’t know anything aside from the info we’re releasing right here. IF anything else is going to happen, we’ll be sure to let everyone know as soon as we do. Thanks a ton for the positive response, everyone.

Peace
HWM

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I love this thread, I saw everyone talking about this Baribeau guy and now I can't get enough.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

DonnyOsmond posted:

Is anyone here a fan of Career Suicide? They are loving awesome, if you haven't had the chance to listen to them.
CS is loving sick, saw them a few weeks ago the same day as homostupids, millenial reign and double negative. Destroyed..

Dillinger posted:

Yeah this band is straight up retarded, I actually like the record and I made a tape with boom box crew on it that I play over and over and over. BOOM BOX CREW.

I'm glad Gehenna didn't play, sorry whoever went, otherwise I'd be pissed. Never Healed made new tshirts with the thule society logo on them, I am way more into that band's lyrics and stolen imagery than I am their record. Still don't have their demo though. Furthermore the split on spiderghost has even better imagery and name.. for the record though.

Here's what happened in NYC:

First band opened, I don't think many people listened. I thought it was a sound check, we all hung out near the bar trying to sleep (I flew, everyone else drove 15+ hrs). I checked out the stage and there was a metric ton of pro lighting equipment (picture on the FU blog) and 35mm cameras on little tracks. Ridiculous. I got in dead front and put on my moshing face.

86 Mentality plays, during terror boys I think someone cold clocks some random person standing outside the pit and it gets kinda wild and way more awesome. The only brief speech made was saying that skrewdriver sucks and they wouldn't cover it.

Mind Eraser got up and covered my rules, pretty good crowd response but there were a LOT of people sitting around the balcony or just milling around the back.

hosed Up got up and people surged forward hoping to be on camera then the lights go out and a bunch of weird obnoxious noises are played really loud to be picked up for the movie I guess. Ben (no warning, guest guitar) goes up to the mic and shouts "WILL YOU TURN THAT OBNOXIOUS poo poo OFF" then I think someone told him its for the movie, I hope its still in the mix though, absolutely hilarious. Six hours of annoying poo poo later they play year of the pig and a spotlight hits damian and four or so people start diving (I was biding my time for the big lights). Main light hit a second later and I leap forward hoping to run in the direction of the main camera sig heil'ing the whole way there when these ENORMOUS industrial strobes kick in and I'm totally blind so I just wing it and go feet first tucked up into the crowd, get up and do it about 8 more times. As the song ends there are a bunch of lovely actor plants in the audience and a cameraman so I dove on top of what they were doing and a few other people did too.

Damian gets up, apologises for all the annoying film stuff, they play the rest of the set and everyone goes crazy. Crowd stays forward for whatever reason so it was stage dive city, lots of rolls and I think I saw a half cartwheel off the stage.

I managed to lose my keys, not realize it til I got to jersey, then get back into town the next day on a manhunt and found them through a series of phonetag.. it was so loving worth it. Awesome show. Picked up a couple records out there too- death angel, avengers, tyrant, epileptics, manson youth, spits..

Matt I am totally hooked on lovely limits, if you want to swap sometime let me know, chronic seizure are recording in january and theres a ton of stuff I can still send.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slut Muffin
Apr 30, 2006

Competition posted:

I love this thread, I saw everyone talking about this Baribeau guy and now I can't get enough.

I swear, he's an addiction.