Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Schwack posted:

The S2 kit is only like $60 cheaper than the S3 and I figured the slightly larger turbo from the S3 kit would give me more room to work with should I get a hankering for more power down the road.

The only difference between the S2 and the S3 is the turbo; the S2 uses a GT2554R, and the S3 uses a GT2560R. (the difference for those not versed in Garrett nomenclature is a slightly larger exhaust turbine wheel on the GT2560R) There was a thread discussing the differences over at MiataTurbo.net, and the consensus was that the 2554R has excellent spool, and the 2560 does nothing very well, but everything decently. For someone who will never touch the stock internals, I would go with a GT2554R (my car has a 2554). For someone who wants to reach 250whp easily, the 2560 might be the ticket, but you'll give up spool. I would much rather have a 230whp car that spools faster than a 250whp car. You give up 300rpm of spool for 20hp on the top end.

If you're going to change internals, the S4 with the EWG and a GT2871R will get you to 300whp with ease, and give you headroom for much, much more power with big boost and methanol injection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Did you end up using the Xede piggyback or some other kind of management? Im afraid of Megasquirt, but I could probably be convinced of its superiority, haha.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Schwack posted:

Did you end up using the Xede piggyback or some other kind of management? Im afraid of Megasquirt, but I could probably be convinced of its superiority, haha.

My setup is actually custom. I'm running a GT2554R, BEGi manifold and BEGi divorced-tube DP, but everything else was assembled from my local pneumatic supply store, various online vendors and eBay. I am using a MegasquirtPNP with EBC and Mapdaddy, Innovate LC-1, and 460cc injectors from an S5 NA Rx7.

The tuning software for MS, Megatune, is freeware (might be shareware now, either way it's free) so you can download it and fiddle around with it. It's an extremely powerful ECU, as powerful as any other full standalone for about half the price.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Schwack posted:

The S2 kit is only like $60 cheaper than the S3 and I figured the slightly larger turbo from the S3 kit would give me more room to work with should I get a hankering for more power down the road.

the GT2860RS is a great turbo that has a fast spool, so I would suggest that over anything larger if you are looking for 200whp. Just my two cents.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Break. posted:

the GT2860RS is a great turbo that has a fast spool, so I would suggest that over anything larger if you are looking for 200whp. Just my two cents.

The 2860RS is big, and I wouldn't recommend it anyway. I would recommend a 2871, since it will flow harder, like a 3071, but it will still spool nearly as well as the Disco Potato.

small 2554 -> 2560 -> 2860 -> 2860RS -> 2871 -> 3071 -> 3076 big

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ize posted:

Edit 2: what kind of whp *typically* nets high 13's in the quarter? A bit over 200? I know Miatas aren't drag cars but I will be able to hit the strip more often than the local autocrosses and VIR.

Back in '99 I was running a 1.6l with the FMII kit of the time (no temperature compensation, no balanced fuel rail, etc.) At 15psi I was running high 13s at 103-104mph with a slow 2.2 60ft. Over the years, I upgraded and the car got faster and I actually ran LESS boost... more simply wasn't necessary. Educated butt dyno would say 215-225whp from that car back then.

That car looks kinda cute now. A built 1.6 with big turbo and 19+psi is a totally different beast.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Savington posted:

The 2860RS is big, and I wouldn't recommend it anyway. I would recommend a 2871, since it will flow harder, like a 3071, but it will still spool nearly as well as the Disco Potato.

small 2554 -> 2560 -> 2860 -> 2860RS -> 2871 -> 3071 -> 3076 big

the kit they build around the 2860RS is awesome, thats all I have to say.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm pretty seriously considering the new BEGI kit. I never really wanted much more then about 150whp for my Miata, but the JRSC and the Greddy kits didn't seem very well made. Apparently the BEGI people want a "development" 1.6 and 1.8, I have no idea what that means, but I'll see if I can get in on that.

seanb
Dec 9, 2002
This thread is awesome. Everyone should turbo their miatas, poo poo. You have all the knowledge you could ever want in here. I feel like I should turbo our miata before we even fix the body damage as that would probably cost 2x as much.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
How does one adjust the side windows so they will roll up about 5 mm higher?
Though there isn't any water getting inside they barely touch the soft top's sealing and another mm more couldn't hurt.
It's got the manual windows in case it matters.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM
I believe the weather stripping is adjustable, but I haven't done it myself.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Anyone know where I can download/buy a complete pdf/ebook/electronic factory service manual, preferably for a 1990?

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

destructo posted:

poo poo guys, Bell just put out a kit to rival the cheap Greddy one link.

Looks like ~5/6psi with quality parts for ~$1700, which is a drat good deal, not to mention it's easily upgradeable. I know what I'm doing come ~July this summer :coal:.
Holy crap, I'm saving up for this for my '99, wish they'd announce the price already. I have a few questions though. Given that I'm somewhat proficient at car work, could I install and set it up on my own? Also, does that kit have everything necessary to run 5-6 psi safely on my '99, or would I need to do ECU upgrades and such? What kind of power would it make at that pressure?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

velocityJE posted:

Holy crap, I'm saving up for this for my '99, wish they'd announce the price already. I have a few questions though. Given that I'm somewhat proficient at car work, could I install and set it up on my own? Also, does that kit have everything necessary to run 5-6 psi safely on my '99, or would I need to do ECU upgrades and such? What kind of power would it make at that pressure?

The kit will be complete. Just install everything and go. If you can install a new suspension or a set of brakes (pads and rotors), you can install a turbo. It's just a different part of the car.

Cars are a lot less complicated than mechanics make them out to be.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Savington posted:

Cars are a lot less complicated than mechanics make them out to be.

This is especially true with Miatas. I replaced the radiator in my '92 in all of 20 minutes. When I got a valve job, reinstalling the head was a leisurely afternoon and I was driving it around that evening.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

vex posted:

I believe the weather stripping is adjustable, but I haven't done it myself.
This is true, pull the weather stripping out of its channel and you'll see there are philips screws set in a sliding track. Just loosen the screws, slide the channel down a bit, screw it back down, and put the weather strip back in.

Ize
Aug 1, 2006

How hard are R-package lips to come by? I think they really, really help the looks of the car.

vv Sweet, that's gonna be my first or second purchase.

Ize fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 12, 2007

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ize posted:

How hard are R-package lips to come by? I think they really, really help the looks of the car.
Front lip is still being created, the rear lip is out of production and you'll probably be looking at ~200 for one, if you can find one.

Front lip: http://www.mazdaparts.org/mamifrairdam.html
Free shipping!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Curses! My car wouldn't start this morning- I thought I might be driving a shiny new 08 NC to work tomorrow, but it ended up just being a dirty battery terminal :argh:

Ah well, if it can last another 18 months, 06's should be down more to the price range I'm looking to pay, and I'm just as happy with a used car.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 12, 2007

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Note: To change the headlights on an NA, you don't have to take the entire ring and spring off, just the silver ring holding the bulb in place. :downs:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

WHY HASN'T EMILIO BUILT THIS YET :argh:

edit: Hmm, looks like we have a chopped MR2 top here

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 13, 2007

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

destructo posted:

I like to use the trunk and be able to access my battery. That does look awesome though.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

That red one is like a little FD. Very nice.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
oh man a Miata hatch would own.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

chem42 posted:

oh man a Miata hatch would own.

Seriously, the second one looks lame as hell, but the red one is awesome. If the window opens or something, even better.

Ize
Aug 1, 2006

destructo posted:

What kind of wheels are on this one? I've pretty much made up my mind to get some 6UL's when I snag a Miata but I'm curious.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
It's like a little Jag XK:

I'd kill for this:

Here we go, it's a Miata 250 GTO

sabz
Jan 9, 2007
Your star burns! I require frozen treats.

destructo posted:

Daaamn, that's hot. Makes the boot useless, but who cares when it looks like that?? :) Where's that from?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miata.net thread of along the lines of "what if I made a fastback hardtop, would you guys buy it?"

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Miata.net thread of along the lines of "what if I made a fastback hardtop, would you guys buy it?"
Do you have a link?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=227610

Just for you, buddy. :buddy:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

sabz posted:

Daaamn, that's hot. Makes the boot useless, but who cares when it looks like that?? :) Where's that from?
Not to mention the gas cap would be a stretch, but I think Emilio is trying to figure out ways around all that stuff. Something along the lines of removing the trunk and having a 2-part hardtop seal it up hatch-style?

Edit: Didn't Mazda already do this in the Japanese market for a very small run of cars? Are those pictures above just that?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, I'm going to be checking this out for a Socal goon, and I need to know what I need to keep an eye out for.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/476155134.html

Trouble spots, things to check, what should I specifically look for. Give me a Miata Rundown, because it's not going to be my car, and I'm basically going to be the eyes and ears and rear end for a guy 300 miles away.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Psylocibe posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to be checking this out for a Socal goon, and I need to know what I need to keep an eye out for.

Trouble spots, things to check, what should I specifically look for. Give me a Miata Rundown, because it's not going to be my car, and I'm basically going to be the eyes and ears and rear end for a guy 300 miles away.

http://www.miata.net/faq/usedmx5.html

http://www.miata.net/faq/inspection_list.html

Covers pretty much everything from common sense to anal retentive.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Phone posted:

Note: To change the headlights on an NA, you don't have to take the entire ring and spring off, just the silver ring holding the bulb in place. :downs:

Everyone figures that out after the first side. :downs:

E-code headlights are one of the better cheap mods I've done to my car. I've got 55w lowbeams and 100w highbeams, and the lows leave a bit to be desired. I would go 80w if I did it again. The 100w highbeams are incredible, though.

Binger Banger
Oct 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Anyone got a spare set of wheels in the Austin area? I ran over a curb in the loving fog this morning and I need to rent/buy/borrow some wheels for a week or so, until I can find a set online somewhere. <3 I'll put a deposit down on them if you're worried about getting your wheels back.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006

Psylocibe posted:

judging from the top right picture the cars been in a wreck, the body line on the passenger side stops after the door :wtc:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Dicker posted:

judging from the top right picture the cars been in a wreck, the body line on the passenger side stops after the door :wtc:

Yeah, I noticed that, too. :wtc: indeed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't buy it because obviously the owner doesn't know that it's Montego Blue Mica. :arghfist::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Okay Guys, time for some weird noise analysis.
I've noticed that my red lady makes a quiet whoooooooo noise. I am suspecting I's coming from the gearbox, but as a deafning bastard I cannot locate the noise properly. The noise only appears under load and vanishes when I get off the gas or engage the clutch. Also I noticed that sometimes engaging gears is a bit unsmooth.
Do you think replacing the transmission oil might help ? Car is a 1.6 NA, 92k on the clock.

edit: Mystery about the noise solved. Took it for a spin through the country. Bloody softtop is making the whooooo :argh:

duep fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 15, 2007