Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Allegiance are breaking up.

loving horrible news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Sup dudes, list me some good Folk Punk bands.
I already listen to TBIAPB, Defiance Ohio, Young Pioneers, Ghost Mice, maybe a few others i can't remember right now.

DaLkO
Mar 27, 2005

graaaahhh me maties

RunTo TheHills posted:

I already listen to TBIAPB, Defiance Ohio, Young Pioneers, Ghost Mice, maybe a few others i can't remember right now.

Mischief Brew for sure. Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains...drat, I'd be interested in some more, too.

SatansFingers
Jul 23, 2007
One of top 3 contenders after weeks of debate.

THE LUMMOX posted:

Talking about the Etown folk fest? Its usually rad but these year was a letdown. Come on, City and Colour headline? :( Always lots of "gypsy" punks though.

Yeah, Edmonton. I think I read somewhere that Wickham is trying to get a younger crowd out to EFMF, and that's why he booked City and Colour.

DaLkO posted:

Mischief Brew for sure. Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains...drat, I'd be interested in some more, too.

see also: Erik Peterson, Matty Pop Chart, The Devil Is Electric, On The Strings Of, Evil Robot Us,.

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

RunTo TheHills posted:

This Richmond, VA band called The Riot Before is pretty good, I've been listening to them more and more lately.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

acup posted:

loving horrible news.

You've gotta be loving kidding me.

EDIT: At least that solidifies that I'm driving four hours for the Set It Straight show this weekend since they are playing too.

rivals fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 13, 2007

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
Sounds like New York was a blast. Lucky bastard.

Like I said, Limit's record release is on 1st December, so I'll pick you up a copy of the two 7"s that are out that day if you want?

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
Good god the new envy ep is excellent.....the drums are so much more interesting than on insomniac doze, they seem to have discovered that just being explosions in the sky with screaming is not that great.....which is loving excellent.

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white

acup posted:

loving horrible news.

God drat it.

RunTo TheHills posted:

Definitely check out A Fistful of Dynamite, O! Pioneers!!!, Bread and Roses, and the Riot Folk collective.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

acup where'd you hear about Allegiance? I saw nothing official on their myspace, web site, B9 board, or on rivalry's site. The only thing I saw were rumors of it in comments on their myspace, but I guess those have to have started somewhere.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

THE LUMMOX posted:

oh holy poo poo Taken is playing a reunion show in march at chain reaction. They need to stop fagging around in Mikoto and Circa Survive and do some new material.

They're also releasing a B-Sides album. I'm just pissed they're touring Japan (even if its only for a few days) and not playing the east coast. I got so excited when I saw the news, only to die a little inside when I realized theres no way I'm going to make it to any of the shows.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/music/12musi.html?_r=3&ref=arts&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Arson Equity, I think your keys got mentioned in the New York Times.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

mrmanatee posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/music/12musi.html?_r=3&ref=arts&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

heh thats loving awesome. I'm surprised the reporter stuck around after the show.

Slut Muffin
Apr 30, 2006

RunTo TheHills posted:

Seconding Mischief Brew / Erik Petersen. Andrew Jackson Jihad, Rosa, and my band Shoestring Budget is pretty folx punx: http://myspace.com/shoebudget

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevar posted:

They're also releasing a B-Sides album. I'm just pissed they're touring Japan (even if its only for a few days) and not playing the east coast. I got so excited when I saw the news, only to die a little inside when I realized theres no way I'm going to make it to any of the shows.

Wait, where in Japan is there to play that's not on East Coast? Or do you mean the US East Coast?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Big Blue Violence posted:

God drat it.

Definitely check out A Fistful of Dynamite, O! Pioneers!!!, Bread and Roses, and the Riot Folk collective.

Forgot to mention them. I <3 Riot Folk.

Thanks for all the other recommendations guys, i'll check em out.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

RunTo TheHills posted:

Nice & Friendly are good. I'll also third/fourth/whatever Mischief Brew. You basically listen to the essentials, though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

mrmanatee posted:

Yea that's me.. I'm a moron. My dad clipped out the article and called me.

MattWPBS posted:

Sounds like New York was a blast. Lucky bastard.

Like I said, Limit's record release is on 1st December, so I'll pick you up a copy of the two 7"s that are out that day if you want?
Mos def

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Inspector_71 posted:

Wait, where in Japan is there to play that's not on East Coast? Or do you mean the US East Coast?

Yeah, I meant US East Coast...my bad.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hello friends, I need some help. I'm looking to expand my horizons and I was wondering what hardcore bands you would recommend that are still creating music/touring?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Corbet posted:

Hello friends, I need some help. I'm looking to expand my horizons and I was wondering what hardcore bands you would recommend that are still creating music/touring?

Tragedy (crusty D-beat type stuff. Get their 7" Can We Call This Life? or their self-titled)
Career Suicide (early 80's style hardcore)
Strike Anywhere (very very melodic hardcore)
Brutal Knights (awesome)

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 14, 2007

maydae
Feb 23, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT SELLING MY DIGNITY TWICE FOR $51 TOTAL

p0isonxfree posted:

acup where'd you hear about Allegiance? I saw nothing official on their myspace, web site, B9 board, or on rivalry's site. The only thing I saw were rumors of it in comments on their myspace, but I guess those have to have started somewhere.

drat you are a thurrow internet detective.
I rarely ever check B9 website. All it is, is a t shirt swap and a hate on everything forum.
Gay imo.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

maydae posted:

drat you are a thurrow internet detective.
I rarely ever check B9 website. All it is, is a t shirt swap and a hate on everything forum.
Gay imo.

I hate the B9 boards for the most part, but I figured there would be a pretty recent thread on it there.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

p0isonxfree posted:

On their myspace. There's 2 shows they have listed say "Last Chain Reaction show ever" and "Last San Diego show ever".

I assume that means they're breaking up, but I also haven't heard anything official.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Looks like I'm not quite thorough enough. drat. :(
So stoked for the Phoenix show on Saturday though, SIS, Allegiance, LLT, KTD, Shook Ones, Final Fight and a couple others. gently caress. That's going to cost me so much money.

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me
Allegiance has been breaking up for the past 3 or 4 months I think. Kinda sucks but I have seen them enough times to be ok with never seeing them again.

Who else posts on b9? I know there has to be at least one other person on here other than me.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Built for Brutality posted:

Allegiance has been breaking up for the past 3 or 4 months I think. Kinda sucks but I have seen them enough times to be ok with never seeing them again.

Who else posts on b9? I know there has to be at least one other person on here other than me.

Yeah, I guess I've noticed a lack of shows from them lately. Pretty much since Desperation came out I think? This is probably my last chance to see them so I have to or else I'll hate myself. They were the first hardcore band I listened to :(

EDIT: Also, I have never posted on B9 much, but I recently started posting on vlv again. I'm not sure which is worse..

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me

p0isonxfree posted:

Yeah, I guess I've noticed a lack of shows from them lately. Pretty much since Desperation came out I think? This is probably my last chance to see them so I have to or else I'll hate myself. They were the first hardcore band I listened to :(

EDIT: Also, I have never posted on B9 much, but I recently started posting on vlv again. I'm not sure which is worse..

I would say vlv is worse but only because I post on b9 and not vlv.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I feel so ashamed of my vinyl...
http://www.notpopular.com/board/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=46600&forum=1&start=0

p.s. B9 might be tolerable if they split it into sub-forums to dilute the poo poo, but as it is: it''s terrible. I don't even want to know what viv is if it's considered to be worse.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

VLV is board.vivalavinyl.org, pretty much as it sounds, record forums. There's also a new one coming up at https://www.deadformat.net I've been posting on too. I've been way too into records lately.

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me

Competition posted:

I feel so ashamed of my vinyl...
http://www.notpopular.com/board/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=46600&forum=1&start=0

p.s. B9 might be tolerable if they split it into sub-forums to dilute the poo poo, but as it is: it''s terrible. I don't even want to know what viv is if it's considered to be worse.

we tried doing that before but no one ever used the other forums. i have been posting on it since it opened and it has gotten really bad in the past year or two.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
VLV is good, couple labels post good stuff there. I only really post on this and a local chicago board.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies
Dear internet punx,

Why must bands like the Sick-E's be classified as "Synth-Punk" because they have a keyboard? If I heard someone say that a band is "Synth-Punk" I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot poll due to the fact the term sounds like something a college sophomore with a Yamaha keyboard would refer to his Foo Fighters cover band as. However, my thorough research has revealed that the Sick-E's are loving rad, and sound like what all of those early Estrus and Crypt bands should have sounded like (except for the Mummies who are perfect in every way).

In short, please stop confusing me. Thanks.

PS get off my lawn

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

edit

leisure no capi fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 14, 2009

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

leisure no capi posted:

Recon

The upstate NY band? In the vein of like Acacia Strain? Wow, never thought I'd see them mentioned in this thread.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Someone posted a huge record collection picture on another board and damnit, I want some snipers records. That's just not fair.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I've been buying up a bunch of records that I've wanted for a while lately, but with no regards to making collections, and these last few days I've really started wanting to work on that. gently caress not having a job. I guess if I don't worry about having all colors, if I can find that Allegiance/IA split I'll have a mini collection with at least one of each release :shobon:

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Lots of sweet collections in that thread but none of it has anything on the devo supercollection.

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me

p0isonxfree posted:

I've been buying up a bunch of records that I've wanted for a while lately, but with no regards to making collections, and these last few days I've really started wanting to work on that. gently caress not having a job. I guess if I don't worry about having all colors, if I can find that Allegiance/IA split I'll have a mini collection with at least one of each release :shobon:

I think I may have a copy of that allegiance/ia split on i think rootbeer colored vinyl. allegiance side is good but those are the worst IA songs i have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, I never picked it up when Rivalry still had it because I couldn't get into the IA side. I see that one up on eBay a lot, but it's going for like 10ppd and I don't want it quite that bad, I'd settle for the black that they pressed like 1500 of or something ridiculous like that.