Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The MSRP on the Kurosawa box is $69.95. Criterion's pre-order price is $55.96. I don't know if the DVDPlanet discount would apply to the MSRP or the pre-order price.

Where do you see the running time for The Idiot listed on Criterion's site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

The MSRP on the Kurosawa box is $69.95. Criterion's pre-order price is $55.96. I don't know if the DVDPlanet discount would apply to the MSRP or the pre-order price.

Where do you see the running time for The Idiot listed on Criterion's site?

Search for "the idiot" at the criterion wevsite and it brings up a short summary of the film. DVDPlanet's regular 35% discount applies to MSRP. The extra 20% applies to that discounted price when the sale is on.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Search for "the idiot" at the criterion wevsite and it brings up a short summary of the film. DVDPlanet's regular 35% discount applies to MSRP. The extra 20% applies to that discounted price when the sale is on.

Exactly. The LIKELY price DVDplanet will have this for is $45, which is still an amazing deal. I'm a cheap guy, so I'll just wait for next year's sale to buy it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From the newsletter:

It's not often I can guess these, but this seems like it HAS to be The Ice Storm.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

FitFortDanga posted:

From the newsletter:

It's not often I can guess these, but this seems like it HAS to be The Ice Storm.

That was my first thought too, but the fact that I can guess it makes me suspect it's something different. I haven't picked up on a newsletter clue since the one for Breathless.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

FitFortDanga posted:

Awesome. In one blow this covers 4 of the 11 Kurosawa movies I haven't seen yet (with the upcoming Drunken Angel being another one), plus One Wonderful Sunday which I quite liked.

I actually gasped when I saw this. I owned two of these on VHS, and "I Live in Fear" is one of my favorite Kurosawa films period. Between the Late Ozu set and this I'm really loving the whole Eclipse idea as a complement to Criterion.

elcapitanqwerty
Apr 22, 2005

Some do. Most don't. I do.
Figured you folks might like to know that I'm selling some Criterion films in SAMart.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2668497

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
When is the next sale on Deep Discount? I apparently missed out on the first one.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

elcapitanqwerty posted:

Figured you folks might like to know that I'm selling some Criterion films in SAMart.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2668497

quote:

Yes, I checked Deep Discount DVD and the prices I'm offering are lower. Check if you care too. If you're buying a few, rounding the price down a bit is fine.

8 1/2 $26
Amarcord $24
Army of Shadows $24
Chasing Amy $12
The Double Life of Veronique $26
F for Fake $28
Jules and Jim $28
he Life Aquatic (one disc) $15
Mr. Arkadin $30
M (two-disc) $26
Man Bites Dog $22
Monterey Pop $22
Naked City $22
Naked Lunch $26
Ran $25
Royal Tenenbaums $12
Playtime $25
Ugetsu $26

You need to check DVD Planet too. While most of those are good prices, you're asking for higher prices for your used DVDs than sealed brand new ones. Also, DDD has Mr. Arkadin for $32 sealed (free shipping), while it would cost $1 more for your used copy after shipping.

Back when I sold my first editions of The Third Man and Brazil, I went with lower prices even though they were like new. The Third Man went for $15 and Brazil was $20.

Apex
Jan 26, 2004

Jack Does Jihad posted:

When is the next sale on Deep Discount? I apparently missed out on the first one.
I think one starts around November 11th if it is the same as last year, but I have nothing to back that up with.

elcapitanqwerty
Apr 22, 2005

Some do. Most don't. I do.

Og Oggilby posted:

You need to check DVD Planet too. While most of those are good prices, you're asking for higher prices for your used DVDs than sealed brand new ones. Also, DDD has Mr. Arkadin for $32 sealed (free shipping), while it would cost $1 more for your used copy after shipping.

Back when I sold my first editions of The Third Man and Brazil, I went with lower prices even though they were like new. The Third Man went for $15 and Brazil was $20.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and lower them. I'm not super familiar with all the sites.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lars Von Trier's Zentropa is confirmed in the latest blog.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Take note... these are all now listed as Out of Print:

Variety Lights
Port of Shadows
Le Corbeau
Quai des Orfevres

IMO, these are all very good but not buy-worthy titles. Still, if you want them, grab them while you can.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hm, I've been wanting to see Le Corbeau for a while.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently the next sale starts on Friday, people have been getting post cards that say:

"Save an additional 20% Off from 11/09/07 - 11/25/07 with Promo Code DD1109."

I'm mostly holding off for dvdplanet to mirror the sale; hopefully I'll have some self control this time and not spend ridiculous amounts of money.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

zeroordie posted:

Apparently the next sale starts on Friday, people have been getting post cards that say:

"Save an additional 20% Off from 11/09/07 - 11/25/07 with Promo Code DD1109."

I'm mostly holding off for dvdplanet to mirror the sale; hopefully I'll have some self control this time and not spend ridiculous amounts of money.

The 9th is THIS friday!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

The 9th is THIS friday!

Okay...?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Yeah Im out of money after rading amazon's various DVD sales

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

LaptopGun posted:

Yeah Im out of money after rading amazon's various DVD sales

What kind of sales has Amazon had?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay...?

I'm retarded and can't read correctly!

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

What kind of sales has Amazon had?

The ongoing classic DVD sale, my legendary quest for the Holy Grail... I mean Kubrick set, Hitchcock set, horror movies... ergo the kind of things that makes me spend my limited money not ear-marked for college, booze, or food like PacMan Jones at a Las Vegas stripclub.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

DVDPlanet Sale is on use coupon "20offsale"

Criterions are super cheap!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zandert33 posted:

DVDPlanet Sale is on use coupon "20offsale"

Criterions are super cheap!

Any idea how long this lasts?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
DeepDiscountDVD's 20% sale is going on now too. Use DVDTALK or USATODAY coupon codes.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Damnit - I have spaffed a load of cash on the following at DVD Planet :

Third Man
400 Blows
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Le Samourai
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Spirit of the Beehive
My Own Private Idaho
Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Days of Heaven
Les Enfants Terribles
Breathless
If...
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Night and Fog

Worked out at $300 + Shipping to the UK (Ouch!). These are ones I have been meaning to pick up for a while - I am getting buyers regret on my Own Private Idaho now though - Was it really worth the upgrade on the normal R2 version?

Edit : Forgot to say thanks to those who posted the codes - I was waiting till this sale to buy them!

LordEvilElmo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 9, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The new newsletter indicates that The Thief of Bagdad (1940) is coming. I've only seen the 1924 version.

The February releases should be announced today or tomorrow.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

The new newsletter indicates that The Thief of Bagdad (1940) is coming. I've only seen the 1924 version.

The February releases should be announced today or tomorrow.

I'm guessing The Red Balloon/White Man (double feature) can be expected, too. If Bill Plympton is featured, I wonder if that means Criterion is planning to release a DVD of his work. Perhaps a set of all of his short films?

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
New month's titles: Pierrot le fou, The Last Emperor and Walker. The Eclipse box is Lubitsch Musicals and contains The Love Parade, Monte Carlo, The Smiling Lieutenant and One Hour With You.

Looks like a great month.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

New month's titles: Pierrot le fou, The Last Emperor and Walker. The Eclipse box is Lubitsch Musicals and contains The Love Parade, Monte Carlo, The Smiling Lieutenant and One Hour With You.

Looks like a great month.

Looking forward to all of those (FINALLY get to see Pierrot). Especially Last Emperor (FOUR disc set!) which I never saw when it was out despite all the buzz, but now that I know what Bertolucci + Storaro are capable of, I'm dying to see it.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

FitFortDanga posted:

Looking forward to all of those (FINALLY get to see Pierrot). Especially Last Emperor (FOUR disc set!) which I never saw when it was out despite all the buzz, but now that I know what Bertolucci + Storaro are capable of, I'm dying to see it.

Pierrot's had a release for a while... :confused:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

NeuroticErotica posted:

Pierrot's had a release for a while... :confused:

Been out of print or something for a while, though, hasn't it? I know Netflix doesn't have any copies of it, nor does my library (and I wasn't going to blind-buy it).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I saw the old Fox Lorber DVD of Pierrot le Fou in a film class and it looked terrible on the big projection screen we used.

Also, the old Artisan DVD for The Last Emperor has to be seen to believed:http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/lastemperor.htm

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 16, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Hell yes. Ever since I rewatched The Conformist I've been awaiting that.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Og Oggilby posted:

Also, the old Artisan DVD for The Last Emperor has to be seen to believed:http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/lastemperor.htm

That maybe one of the ugliest non-Anchor Bay produced DVD's I've ever seen. It's letterboxed, pillarboxed, dirt-boxed and Mike-Tyson-circa 1989-boxed. I don't care for the movie, but no movie loved by any single person deserves a release like that. I imagine the Criterion will be a "tad" better.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LaptopGun posted:

That maybe one of the ugliest non-Anchor Bay produced DVD's I've ever seen.
Without defending the Artisan DVD: Man, I wish I could say the same. Check out any disc pressed by Tai Seng or Mei Ah before around 2003 if you want to see a really bad DVD sometime. I'm talking worse than old Kino discs. I'm talking worse than those `1.7 billion public domain films from 1939 on a single disc' or '50 lovely kick flicks transfered from third-generation VHS tape' compilations put out by places like Mill Creek or Brentwood.

That all being said, Mei Ah was born again hard around 2003, and they've been putting out some really high-quality discs since then. Pretty much like Anchor Bay, who over the last couple years has released a lot of better-than-the-film-deserves transfers (like about 90% of the stuff in their `Six Pack' boxes).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I haven't seen any of those 900 movies on one disc compilations so I would not be able to comment on their.

The problem I have with Anchor Bay is exactly what you said- they put hard work on movies that no one cares about and utterly butcher movies popular for more than ten people. Anyone remember that anniversary DVD for Halloween that was in the DivMax series? It looked like someone didnt take compression 101 and it was incredibly dark. Like worse than that Last Emperor, video incomprehensable, sunglasses at midnight DARK. I remember seeing like ten of those in a supermarket discount movie stand in Nantuckett like a couple months after they came out. The Book of the Dead Evil Dead is great, so isnt their DiviMax circa 2003 Day of the Dead, but Anchor Bay usually has more issues than a newstand.

Now that I think of it, I wish Criterion would do a Night of the Living Dead or Evil Dead release. Those would be pretty cool.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LaptopGun posted:

Now that I think of it, I wish Criterion would do a Night of the Living Dead or Evil Dead release. Those would be pretty cool.
Why? It isn't as if it's hard to find excellent releases of either of those already. I mean, if I was thinking of films that I would add to my, `Would you guys please stop pressing new editions of these films already ferchrissakes?' list, those two would be right at the top. Seriously, what would you want in a Criterion Night of the Living Dead (1968) that's not in Elite's `Millennium Edition'?

I love Criterion as much as the next filmsnobbler, but I'd rather they stick to things like they've been doing with their Eclipse label---making available in watchable form films that are currently unavailable any other way. I'd love to see them follow their early Bergman, Fuller, and Kurosawa and late Ozu with maybe some silent Mizoguchi. Or how about a box of Oshima? Or make available some one-offs that aren't available elsewhere (Penn's Mickey One (1965), say, or Wenders' Im Lauf Der Zeit (1976))? And if all of that is too highbrow, howzabout a box of less arthouse stuff that's available here and there, but could profit from a serious treatment...say, a box of Russ Meyer, Jack Starrett, or Hal Needham? Or how about a blacksploitation set from Criterion (I'd pay a lot for a Criterion Coonskin (1975) or Boss friend of the family (1975))?

I mean, if Criterion is going to start poaching material from Anchor Bay, I'd way rather they pick up the Django films than the Evil Dead films.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

Or how about a blacksploitation set from Criterion (I'd pay a lot for a Criterion Coonskin (1975) or Boss friend of the family (1975))?

NeuroticErotic would be alllll over that. But yeah, I want Criterion to start exploring other areas, like Hispanic and African films.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry I thought the Elite Millenium Edition Night was out of print, so all the Discount Dan releases were the only ones availible. I already own it, but I was saying for the benefit of others. Turns out I'm wrong, it's just I havent seen it on store shelves in seriously a year or 2. It's availble online at a decent price (average more than I remember paying, however). Regardless, that transfer is literally ancient (even if it looks fantastic)- what would a new restoration look like? I'd imagine substantially better.

Criterion hasn't done a lot of horror movies, and that maybe a good thing. Still I'd like my "Groovy" Criterion release of Evil Dead. Won't happen, and certainly not the #1 movie I want to have a Criterion release, but I'd like it nonetheless.

Edit: Blacksploitation flicks would be a cool Eclipse release. That or a set of grindhouse-fodder would be something I'd consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I'd really like to see Criterion finally work on some animation. Ever since they started to work with Paramount, I've hoped they can get the Betty Boop cartoons. In fact, they could do a full-on Criterion with the Betty Boop shorts, then release an Eclipse set with the rest of the Max Fleischer catalog owned by Paramount (Koko the Clown, Talkartoons, Color Classics, the two features Gulliver's Travels and Hoppity Goes to Town, and some other odds and ends).

Although, it'll probably be more realistic to expect Criterion to do something like an Eclipse set of Ralph Bakshi films.