Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

deimos posted:

The -/+ buffers/cache line is the important one, means that it's the actual numbers without taking caches into account,

Oh my god how did I not know that? I'm going to buy you a beer--no, a loving 6-pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I'm doing this in phases. First up will be basic DHCP serving and NAT stuff. If I can get that going, I'll get Squid, ClamAV and such set up. Somewhere in there, I will also be attempting (keyword there) to set up IPTables. Right now, that seems a little overwhelming but I'm sure I'll get it.
Sounds like a good plan, but your NAT and iptables are probably going to go hand-in-hand. I'll take this opportunity to recommend Shorewall for managing that firewall-type stuff. Yes, if you want, you can learn the arcane internals of iptables, but I personally don't see the point. Shorewall is a script that parses easily readable table-based config files and generates the iptables rules for you. It's hugely flexible, and makes management of more complex rulesets cake. And it's conveniently available in the Arch repository.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to hook my cable box up to my computer and I can't quite get the sound figured out. The video out on the cable box goes directly into my monitor. For the audio, I'm running the component out through a 1/8" Y-cable and into the line in on my computer. From there, I'm not sure how to control the sound.

In Gnome (on Gutsy), I can only hear the TV sound when I go to System > Preferences > Sound > Sound Capture > Test. As long as the test is running, I hear the sound. When it isn't running, sound is muted. The Volume Control applet settings only work when I'm running a sound test. When the test isn't running, it doesn't matter whether the line-in channels are muted or not, I get nothing.

So I suppose my question would be: can I listen to the TV audio without running the capture test? If so, how?

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 19, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kobayashi posted:

I'm trying to hook my cable box up to my computer and I can't quite get the sound figured out. The video out on the cable box goes directly into my monitor. For the audio, I'm running the component out through a 1/8" Y-cable and into the line in on my computer. From there, I'm not sure how to control the sound.

In Gnome (on Gutsy), I can only hear the TV sound when I go to System > Preferences > Sound > Sound Capture > Test. As long as the test is running, I hear the sound. When it isn't running, sound is muted. The Volume Control applet settings only work when I'm running a sound test. When the test isn't running, it doesn't matter whether the line-in channels are muted or not, I get nothing.

So I suppose my question would be: can I listen to the TV audio without running the capture test? If so, how?

If you connected it correctly, you have TV sound at your Line In input. There are two controls -- recording and output mixer. Details differ on different cards, however usually to hear what is immediately on your Line In input you don't have to enable recording from it but have to unmute it, set its level to nonzero, and may have to separately enable output from Line In. You may have to run mixer and go to preferences menu to enable missing controls.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

teapot posted:

Just like mdadm says, check dmesg output -- it will show the actual error. Most likely you have partitions on your drive (and they are supposed to be recognized when the device is detected), so it will be /dev/md0p<something>

Hmmm didn't know about dmesg :) quite handy

comes up and says
code:
[  484.789662] EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 8064 not in group (block 261114091)!
[  484.854411] EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
[ 1324.645054] EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 8064 not in group (block 261114091)!
[ 1324.691113] EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

Which doesn't look very happy
Doing a fdisk -l to sda,sdc,sdd,sde all comes up with "Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table"
However fdisk -l /dev/sdb comes up with the following

code:
fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 400.0 GB, 400088457216 bytes
16 heads, 1 sectors/track, 48838923 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16 * 512 = 8192 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *        8445        8697        2019+  c7  Syrinx
/dev/sdb2               1           1           0    0  Empty
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdb3       134226173   134226425        2019+  c7  Syrinx
/dev/sdb4               1           1           0    0  Empty
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Should I do a fsck or will that screw it more o_O ?

Soggy Chips fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 19, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

Hmmm didn't know about dmesg :) quite handy

comes up and says
code:
[  484.789662] EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 8064 not in group (block 261114091)!
[  484.854411] EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
[ 1324.645054] EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 8064 not in group (block 261114091)!
[ 1324.691113] EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!

Which doesn't look very happy
I have no idea how will look an attempt to mount a mis-reassembled or simply wrong device that contains ext3 filesystem somewhere but not at the very beginning. Check if "tune2fs -l /dev/md0" returns anything usable.

quote:

Doing a fdisk -l to sda,sdc,sdd,sde all comes up with "Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table"
However fdisk -l /dev/sdb comes up with the following

code:
fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 400.0 GB, 400088457216 bytes
16 heads, 1 sectors/track, 48838923 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16 * 512 = 8192 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *        8445        8697        2019+  c7  Syrinx
/dev/sdb2               1           1           0    0  Empty
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdb3       134226173   134226425        2019+  c7  Syrinx
/dev/sdb4               1           1           0    0  Empty
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Should I do a fsck or will that screw it more o_O ?

How about fdisk /dev/md0 ?

teapot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 19, 2007

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

teapot posted:

If you connected it correctly, you have TV sound at your Line In input. There are two controls -- recording and output mixer. Details differ on different cards, however usually to hear what is immediately on your Line In input you don't have to enable recording from it but have to unmute it, set its level to nonzero, and may have to separately enable output from Line In. You may have to run mixer and go to preferences menu to enable missing controls.

It took forever to find, but the option I was looking for was the "analog loopback" option. When enabled, I hear line-in; when disabled, I do not. Pretty obvious, in retrospect.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
code:
tune2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
Filesystem volume name:   <none>
Last mounted on:          <not available>
Filesystem UUID:          dbaf3870-577c-45a7-8a9c-fd4d21f4e2e2
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      has_journal resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
Filesystem flags:         signed directory hash 
Default mount options:    (none)
Filesystem state:         clean with errors
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              195362816
Block count:              390711296
Reserved block count:     15628451
Free blocks:              16322127
Free inodes:              195359080
First block:              0
Block size:               4096
Fragment size:            4096
Reserved GDT blocks:      1000
Blocks per group:         32768
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         16384
Inode blocks per group:   512
Filesystem created:       Fri Feb  9 19:36:30 2007
Last mount time:          Mon Oct 22 19:12:13 2007
Last write time:          Mon Nov 19 19:19:25 2007
Mount count:              7
Maximum mount count:      22
Last checked:             Wed Jun 20 17:59:13 2007
Check interval:           15552000 (6 months)
Next check after:         Mon Dec 17 18:59:13 2007
Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
First inode:              11
Inode size:               128
Journal inode:            8
Default directory hash:   tea
Directory Hash Seed:      d647b3d7-984c-4dce-aff4-ef76e5b4b5e5
Journal backup:           inode blocks
code:
Disk /dev/md0: 1600.3 GB, 1600353468416 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 390711296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8 * 512 = 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/md0 doesn't contain a valid partition table
Give up now? :(

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

code:
tune2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
Filesystem volume name:   <none>
Last mounted on:          <not available>
Filesystem UUID:          dbaf3870-577c-45a7-8a9c-fd4d21f4e2e2
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      has_journal resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
Filesystem flags:         signed directory hash 
Default mount options:    (none)
Filesystem state:         clean with errors
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              195362816
Block count:              390711296
Reserved block count:     15628451
Free blocks:              16322127
Free inodes:              195359080
First block:              0
Block size:               4096
Fragment size:            4096
Reserved GDT blocks:      1000
Blocks per group:         32768
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         16384
Inode blocks per group:   512
Filesystem created:       Fri Feb  9 19:36:30 2007
Last mount time:          Mon Oct 22 19:12:13 2007
Last write time:          Mon Nov 19 19:19:25 2007
Mount count:              7
Maximum mount count:      22
Last checked:             Wed Jun 20 17:59:13 2007
Check interval:           15552000 (6 months)
Next check after:         Mon Dec 17 18:59:13 2007
Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
First inode:              11
Inode size:               128
Journal inode:            8
Default directory hash:   tea
Directory Hash Seed:      d647b3d7-984c-4dce-aff4-ef76e5b4b5e5
Journal backup:           inode blocks
code:
Disk /dev/md0: 1600.3 GB, 1600353468416 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 390711296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8 * 512 = 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/md0 doesn't contain a valid partition table
Give up now? :(

Looks like /dev/md0 contains a valid ext3 filesystem (journal is enabled, so it's not a journal-less version ext2) and not a set of partitions. The filesystem is either damaged or mis-assembled, however the beginning with the superblock is valid.

First, try to mount it read-only and see if it mounts and allows you to copy files from it. Then unmount it.

After that, if you can, dd it somewhere else, then run fsck on /dev/md0. It may further screw it up, or it may recover the filesystem. After fsck it may mount correctly, or you may have to run "mke2fs -j" on it to create an empty filesystem from scratch.

Was there anything valuable on it in the first place?

teapot fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 20, 2007

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Alowishus posted:

Sounds like a good plan, but your NAT and iptables are probably going to go hand-in-hand. I'll take this opportunity to recommend Shorewall for managing that firewall-type stuff. Yes, if you want, you can learn the arcane internals of iptables, but I personally don't see the point. Shorewall is a script that parses easily readable table-based config files and generates the iptables rules for you. It's hugely flexible, and makes management of more complex rulesets cake. And it's conveniently available in the Arch repository.

Yeah, I was poking around the Arch Wiki and found the tutorials for the NAT'ing firewall and it recommended Shorewall. I was just wondering if there was any real need to learn IPTables. If not, I suppose Shorewall would be the way to go with this.

I'm not really going to get much of an opportunity to get to work on all this (what with the holidays coming up and my finals in early December) but when I do, I'll report back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ubuntu doesn't like it when I try to shut it down, apparently. I needed to restart to boot into Windows yesterday, but when I chose restart, Ubuntu just froze and I had to hard-reset my computer. Same thing just happened when I tried to log off.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
how do I make every file in a directory readable by any user on the system?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

fletcher posted:

how do I make every file in a directory readable by any user on the system?
code:
chmod -R o+r /path/to/dir
You should probably ask yourself why you want to do this, it isn't good practice.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
fsck fixed it :>
I did have to hold down yes with an upside down cd spindle for 10 minutes to do fixes but yeah awesome :D

It had 100 odd gig of photos and the like that were somewhat irreplaceable.
Cheers dude

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

jdonz posted:

code:
You should probably ask yourself why you want to do this, it isn't good practice.

Why? Most of files on a typical system outside of users' homes are world-readable -- exceptions are authentication tokens, mail and databases, for obvious reasons.

cancertoast
Aug 28, 2002
How can I tell what the latest kernel updates are? Or more specifically, how can I fix this cd/dvd-drive issue I am having where I can not see the cd/dvd-drive in either OS after I install Linux via the dvd-drive, for a dual-boot system?

I am using a Sager NP5760, dual-booting Vista64 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.10. Apparently this is a common problem that the majority of this model/brand of laptop have. At the moment I have resorted to redoing my windows partition (where my boot record resides) and voila, Vista can see the cd/dvd-drive now.

cancertoast fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 21, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

fsck fixed it :>
I did have to hold down yes with an upside down cd spindle for 10 minutes to do fixes but yeah awesome

You could also specify -p or even -y to do that automatically.

At this point some files may be still damaged -- it will make sense to run something like

code:
find /path/to/filesystem -name \*.jpg -print0 | xargs -0 file | fgrep -v "JPEG image data"
to perform a minimal sanity check.

Edit: quoted the wrong message.

teapot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 21, 2007

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

teapot posted:

Why? Most of files on a typical system outside of users' homes are world-readable -- exceptions are authentication tokens, mail and databases, for obvious reasons.
He didn't specify what directory/files he wanted to do this to. If someone needs to ask about changing simple permissions then they probably are not very comfortable with the operating system. I tend to err on the side of caution.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

jdonz posted:

code:

If the premise is that these files are already _not_ readable by everyone, you should definitely be doing a+r (what if their primary group matches yours?) and ensure every path down to 'dir' has a+rx.

(namei -m might help)

edit: ignoring this particular unexpected fsck conclusion of course

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

cancertoast posted:

How can I tell what the latest kernel updates are? Or more specifically, how can I fix this cd/dvd-drive issue I am having where I can not see the cd/dvd-drive in either OS after I install Linux via the dvd-drive, for a dual-boot system?

I am using a Sager NP5760, dual-booting Vista64 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.10. Apparently this is a common problem that the majority of this model/brand of laptop have. At the moment I have resorted to redoing my windows partition (where my boot record resides) and voila, Vista can see the cd/dvd-drive now.

I have a suspicion that you had some copy-protection or virus/rootkit on your Windows installation that messed with your DVD drive. I don't think, it affected Linux, but it would probably do something stupid because you have changed the paritions/bootloader.

cancertoast
Aug 28, 2002

teapot posted:

I have a suspicion that you had some copy-protection or virus/rootkit on your Windows installation that messed with your DVD drive. I don't think, it affected Linux, but it would probably do something stupid because you have changed the paritions/bootloader.

I should have mentioned that this problem occurred when I had WinXP installed too. The only commonality between the two installs is that both of the Windows installs were the primary partition.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How can I rename all .jpeg files to .jpg in a very large directory, preserving the original filename? There are ~30k files in the directory.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 23, 2007

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

fletcher posted:

How can I rename all .jpeg files to .jpg in a directory, preserving the original filename?

I would use ren, then you'd do
ren '*.jpeg' '#1.jpg'

Else, bash,
for a in *.jpeg; do mv $a ${a%.jpeg}.jpg; done

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks Scaevolus!

Another question: is there a limit for the number of files mget will download via ftp? I tried to transfer a directory of 130,000 pictures and it only transferred exactly 99,999. Is something else causing this or is it an mget limit?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I just found something interesting. If you go to discovery.ca you get a message that you can't enter the site. They recommend Windows 2000, Windows XP or MacOS X.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

cancertoast posted:

How can I tell what the latest kernel updates are?
You will get them with your updates.

quote:

Or more specifically, how can I fix this cd/dvd-drive issue I am having where I can not see the cd/dvd-drive in either OS after I install Linux via the dvd-drive, for a dual-boot system?

DVD drives' interface didn't change in at least a decade, unless you count introduction of SATA. Describe your "issue", and post parts of dmesg output that mention IDE devices or CD/DVD drive in particular. Also please check if your username is missing in the list of members of cdrom group:

code:
grep cdrom /etc/group
what most likely your "issue" is.

quote:

I am using a Sager NP5760, dual-booting Vista64 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.10. Apparently this is a common problem that the majority of this model/brand of laptop have.
Reference, please!

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

Thanks Scaevolus!

Another question: is there a limit for the number of files mget will download via ftp? I tried to transfer a directory of 130,000 pictures and it only transferred exactly 99,999. Is something else causing this or is it an mget limit?

Some ftp servers will limit the number of items returned when your ftp client requests the list of files in a directory, which has been a pain in the arse for a project I'm working on (mine is limited to 2000).

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

After not using linux for months, I dusted it off and upgraded from Feisty Ubuntu to Gutsy. I've been pretty happy with the change, and got most of the little problems worked out.

However, I've got something that seems new to Gutsy that is bothering me. I've got a Geforce 6800. I spent over an hour fighting with the nvidia driver, trying to get it to work. I installed it with and without Envy, and tried a number of other options. I finally realized that it was installing correctly, but the monitor setting was at plug n play, so I wouldn't get resolution options past 800x600. I've got an Envision CRT monitor that came with a Compaq or something, and it's not in the model list, so I have the monitor set to Monitor 1280x1024, and then specifically the resolution is 1024x768. I've been having trouble with the refresh rates. No matter what I set them too, my eyes feel like they are straining pretty badly when I read text on the screen. My options are 50Hz, 64Hz, 71Hz and 72Hz. Additionally, restarts seem to put it back to 50Hz. The other settings don't change.

A potentially related problem is with the font rendering in Firefox. Fonts just look terrible. I've got them set to 96 dpi, and I tried messing around in about:config. Making them bigger doesn't really address the problem. I downloaded the Firefox 3 alpha and seemed to get it to look really nice last night, but whatever I did was gone with a restart. I know I have a lot less detailed information here, but it's so subjective and I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for. I want the characters to look full and complete. As it is they simply look like I have LCD smoothing turned on, which I don't, and the different options in Appearances don't help.

I'd like to figure this out because I can't see myself using Linux if looking at the screen gives me a headache.

Edit: changing the hinting to slight seems to helped with the fonts in Firefox a bit, but the refresh issue is still there.

Jadeilyn fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 23, 2007

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

dammit

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GeneralZod posted:

Some ftp servers will limit the number of items returned when your ftp client requests the list of files in a directory, which has been a pain in the arse for a project I'm working on (mine is limited to 2000).

How can I increase the limit or download the files I don't have yet?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jadeilyn posted:

I finally realized that it was installing correctly

An easy check would be
code:
glxinfo | grep direct
from a terminal and make sure it says yes.

quote:

, but the monitor setting was at plug n play, so I wouldn't get resolution options past 800x600. I've got an Envision CRT monitor that came with a Compaq or something, and it's not in the model list, so I have the monitor set to Monitor 1280x1024, and then specifically the resolution is 1024x768. I've been having trouble with the refresh rates. No matter what I set them too, my eyes feel like they are straining pretty badly when I read text on the screen. My options are 50Hz, 64Hz, 71Hz and 72Hz. Additionally, restarts seem to put it back to 50Hz. The other settings don't change.

There's probably a graphical way to do this, but it sounds like you need to sort out your horizontal and vertical refresh rates - that fixed it for me with a CRT screen that never played nice with the default refresh rates. All options for screen res etc are set in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file which will not be changed on a restart.

You can look your horizontal and vertical rates up in the monitor manual / internet. Then log out of gnome and hit ctrl+alt+f1 to drop to a command prompt. You can edit the xorg.conf file directly if you wish, but you may find the following to be easiest: Log in and run
code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
All you need to do is basically keep hitting enter for the defaults until you get to the monitor section - then select advanced and input the horizontal/vertical refresh rates as appropriate and the resolutions you want to use. Then save it when prompted and run
code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
to restart the X server using the new configuration.

Re your fonts, it's probably rather blasphemous, but installing the msttcorefonts (think that's right) package pulls in all the usual Microsoft true type fonts and may give you better results.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 23, 2007

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Jadeilyn posted:

However, I've got something that seems new to Gutsy that is bothering me. I've got a Geforce 6800. I spent over an hour fighting with the nvidia driver, trying to get it to work. I installed it with and without Envy, and tried a number of other options. I finally realized that it was installing correctly, but the monitor setting was at plug n play, so I wouldn't get resolution options past 800x600. I've got an Envision CRT monitor that came with a Compaq or something, and it's not in the model list, so I have the monitor set to Monitor 1280x1024, and then specifically the resolution is 1024x768. I've been having trouble with the refresh rates. No matter what I set them too, my eyes feel like they are straining pretty badly when I read text on the screen. My options are 50Hz, 64Hz, 71Hz and 72Hz. Additionally, restarts seem to put it back to 50Hz. The other settings don't change.
Try editing the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

There should be a section called "Monitor", in it you'll want to set the values of Horizsync and Vertrefresh. These values should be either printed on the back of your monitor or perhaps on the manufacturer's website.

For reference, here's my monitor section:
code:
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
	VendorName	"ViewSonic"
	ModelName	"ViewSonic A70"
	Option		"DPMS"
	Horizsync	30-70
	Vertrefresh	50-180
EndSection
Edit: Beaten

You can also set resolutions, in the "Screen" section. It should be pretty obvious where you do that.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 23, 2007

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

How can I increase the limit or download the files I don't have yet?

The limit is determined by whoever hosts the server, so you'll have to ask them :/

For my project, I used the appalling workaround of simply downloading the index.html using HTTP (which apparently doesn't have this limit) in order to get the full list of files in a directory.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Jadeilyn posted:

After not using linux for months, I dusted it off and upgraded from Feisty Ubuntu to Gutsy. I've been pretty happy with the change, and got most of the little problems worked out.

A potentially related problem is with the font rendering in Firefox. Fonts just look terrible. I've got them set to 96 dpi, and I tried messing around in about :config. Making them bigger doesn't really address the problem. I downloaded the Firefox 3 alpha and seemed to get it to look really nice last night, but whatever I did was gone with a restart. I know I have a lot less detailed information here, but it's so subjective and I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for. I want the characters to look full and complete. As it is they simply look like I have LCD smoothing turned on, which I don't, and the different options in Appearances don't help.

I'd like to figure this out because I can't see myself using Linux if looking at the screen gives me a headache.

Edit: changing the hinting to slight seems to helped with the fonts in Firefox a bit, but the refresh issue is still there.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf add
code:
Option "UseEDID" "false"
to the Device section that describes an adapter with "nvidia" driver.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GeneralZod posted:

The limit is determined by whoever hosts the server, so you'll have to ask them :/

For my project, I used the appalling workaround of simply downloading the index.html using HTTP (which apparently doesn't have this limit) in order to get the full list of files in a directory.

So what do they have to change? Is it just some variable that needs to be set in proftpd.conf? How, specifically, do you set it?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

200th Poster posted:

I just found something interesting. If you go to discovery.ca you get a message that you can't enter the site. They recommend Windows 2000, Windows XP or MacOS X.

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

It's the site's failure, not your system's, but this will let you get around it.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I've tried editing xorg.conf manually and using the GUI, and it isn't working. I change the values to the refresh rates I found in the Windows drivers for the monitor, and when I reload, it uses the vesa driver and a plug n play monitor setting.

Edit: for the time being I looked through the list of monitors and found one with the same refresh rates. I wonder what I was doing wrong though.

Jadeilyn fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 24, 2007

atticus
Nov 7, 2002

this is how u post~
:madmax::hf::riker:
Hey everyone, trying to figure out this bash prompt stuff. Anyone know of a way I can set my prompt to a brief hostname? For instance, if my FQDN is butts.desktop.rear end.com, I don't want the prompt to say

code:
[butts ~]
and I don't want the prompt to say

code:
[butts.desktop.rear end.com ~]
But moreso something like this:

code:
[butts.desktop ~]
So far in my research I've found I can use \h which provides the short hostname or \H which provides the too-long FQDN, but what about something to get me the hostname + subdomain? I've done research on the PROMPT_COMMAND variable but that really hasn't gotten me anything useful.

I'm a network engineer, and pretty retarded when it comes to Linux type stuff; I know enough to get me into trouble and that's pretty much it. Thanks for your help here.

Comrade Pedro
Sep 4, 2006

suck a lemon
I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy on my HP nx6125 laptop (ATI radeon 200M integrated video card), however I'm having issues with the display burning my eyeballs. On Windows, ATI had a control panel where you could adjust contrast, brightness, color, gamma, etc. - is there such a thing I can use for Ubuntu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

atticus posted:

But moreso something like this:

code:
[butts.desktop ~]
So far in my research I've found I can use \h which provides the short hostname or \H which provides the too-long FQDN, but what about something to get me the hostname + subdomain? I've done research on the PROMPT_COMMAND variable but that really hasn't gotten me anything useful.

I'm a network engineer, and pretty retarded when it comes to Linux type stuff; I know enough to get me into trouble and that's pretty much it. Thanks for your help here.

code:
gawk -F'.' '{for (i=1; i <= NF-2; i = i+1) {printf $i; if ( i < NF-2) printf "."} }'