Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

Hey crew! I'm going to look at a 1996 M-Edition tomorrow, Starlight Mica Blue, 1 of ~3000.

108,000 miles, original owner, "garaged since new, the paint looks like new-w/no dents or scratches..Top looks new, with real glass" All the pictures look great. Flawless tan leather interior.

He's listed for $4995. Blue book is $4800, which I know runs low for Miatas.

What do you guys think is a fair offer? I definitely don't want to lose the sale, but offering less than list price is par for the course. Would offering $4500 CASH be insulting?
I don't think it would be insulting, but $5 says that someone stops by and grabs it for the asking price. He'll get it, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold at 5500 depending on the market. You might be able to take some bucks off if he hasn't done the timing belt yet, but I kind of doubt that, even in CA it should be done at 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

108,000 miles, original owner, "garaged since new, the paint looks like new-w/no dents or scratches..Top looks new, with real glass" All the pictures look great. Flawless tan leather interior.

All adds say that, and cars usually never look as good in person as they do in the pictures. I'd reserve judgement until you see and drive it in person, find out it's maintenance history i.e. has the timing belt been done, does it have records? Then make an offer based on the condition of the car.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
With a great top, TB/WP done, and a perfect exterior, with that mileage, $4800 would be a very good buy. Offer him $4500, and if he stays firm, write a check for the full amount and don't look back.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)
Saw an NA Miata on the cover of a car magazine that was the same color as mine.

Obviously I had no choice but to buy the magazine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Out of curiosity, how long are you guys pushing your Miatas on oil changes? Thanks to our recent move we are putting a shitload of miles on our '99 - on the order of 40-50 miles a day at least five if not six days a week. I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic on 5000 mile intervals, but if I'm having to dive in there nearly every three months like clockwork, the idea of switching over to the Mobil 1 Extended Performance and pushing it to, say, 8000 or 10000 miles is tempting.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Gear Head posted:

Saw an NA Miata on the cover of a car magazine that was the same color as mine.

Obviously I had no choice but to buy the magazine.

I bought that for the same reason a couple weeks back. I also wanted it for the clutch replacement walkthrough.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Out of curiosity, how long are you guys pushing your Miatas on oil changes? Thanks to our recent move we are putting a shitload of miles on our '99 - on the order of 40-50 miles a day at least five if not six days a week. I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic on 5000 mile intervals, but if I'm having to dive in there nearly every three months like clockwork, the idea of switching over to the Mobil 1 Extended Performance and pushing it to, say, 8000 or 10000 miles is tempting.

Do a change at 5000 miles, and send it to Blackstone Labs. They do oil analysis on engines for the public. Then, send them a sample of 7500 mile old oil, and 10,000 mile old oil. They should be able to tell you whether your engine and your driving style and that particular oil will still give you good lubrication after X miles.

Me, I've been doing them every 2500-3000 miles with Mobil, but I have over 4000 on the current batch. It's getting changed when I go home for Christmas. I do have about a thousand track miles on the car in the last 9000 miles, though.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

MR2 junkie turned Miata convert, I absolutely /love/ this car. I've never had such a silly grin driving around since I bought my first car back in the day. Almost picked up a cherried out '88 MR2.. sold two hours after I talked to the guy, and saw this one immediately after on Craigslist.

So-oh-god-fun.

Left Side
Engine

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I bought that 96 M-Edition. She's as perfect as the seller described. Immaculate. I'll post pictures soon.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a problem with my car. In the mornings, I start up my car, let it run for about a minute, then go on my way. As soon as I get going, the car jerks. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, but it kinda stutters, and jerks, and the tach needle bounces a little. Now, this happens a little more when it's cold outside, but it goes away after 2-3 minutes. It's an NC with a 6spd if that matters.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is that just the way it is when it's cold?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My NA definitely feels very "jerky" when its cold, but smoothes out enormously within a minute or two of being driven. Although mine isn't jerking erratically on its own nor does it noticeably stutter or have a hunting idle. I can't make a perfectly smooth shift when its cold to save my life though, hence where most of the jerkiness comes from.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the car feels very "stiff" before getting warmed up, particularly in cold weather. I'm not sure if that's what you're describing, or if your symptoms are worse, though.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
When should the cambelt be done, and how much is it likely to set me back?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Yokohead posted:

MR2 junkie turned Miata convert, I absolutely /love/ this car. I've never had such a silly grin driving around since I bought my first car back in the day. Almost picked up a cherried out '88 MR2.. sold two hours after I talked to the guy, and saw this one immediately after on Craigslist.

So-oh-god-fun.

Hey there ex-MR2 junkie buddy! Had a black 91T before I just recently picked up my 03 Miata in the same color as yours! Good stuff! :)

@Angor and Guiness :

I know some of the NB's of the 01-03 models have that problem. It's called "clutch shudder" or "clutch chatter" See service bulletin

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 21, 2007

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

willd58 posted:

When should the cambelt be done, and how much is it likely to set me back?
Mazda recommends every 60k, probably $4-500 at a good shop, you can get the parts needed for about ~$100. While you're at it, you should probably replace the water pump too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My sister-in-law's '95M had a waterpump fail, so they did that and the timing belt at the same time. Cost about $600 all told from a shop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What would cause a rough idle out of nowhere? It used to just be silent at like 800rpm, now it sits and drops to like 600 and the car rumbles like one of those vibrating mattresses.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

What would cause a rough idle out of nowhere? It used to just be silent at like 800rpm, now it sits and drops to like 600 and the car rumbles like one of those vibrating mattresses.

I had that happen and it was just in need of a new air filter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Could be the air flow meter, the spring that controls the "door" inside it wears out over time. Or it could be the plug wires, when is the last time you replaced them?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So... anyone have any suggestions for some first mod(s)? Perhaps in the $500 range or so? I really have no idea what to do first... :(

Edit : Bone stock 03 LS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Etrips posted:

So... anyone have any suggestions for some first mod(s)? Perhaps in the $500 range or so? I really have no idea what to do first... :(

Edit : Bone stock 03 LS

Just get a good set of tires, that's the best thing you can do for your Miata. Falken Azenis are an excellent tire for the price.

There's nothing you can really do for the motor for $500 that's going to be worth it. Maybe a header and/or exhaust, that's about it. Intakes are a waste of money.

Get tires.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

leica posted:

Just get a good set of tires, that's the best thing you can do for your Miata. Falken Azenis are an excellent tire for the price.

There's nothing you can really do for the motor for $500 that's going to be worth it. Maybe a header and/or exhaust, that's about it. Intakes are a waste of money.

Get tires.

Decent shocks could be had for under 500$. Maybe a good more aggressive alignment will sharpen things up too.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tires and a mroe aggressive alignment. Hands down.

Your shocks should be fine on a 2003 car, unless it has a million billion miles on it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
To be honest, I'm satisfied with the power as of right now. Perhaps a little later down the line.

As far as in tires, Im plannin on getting some snow tires up in the coming weeks since Im on the east coast (Virginia) where it snows a bit when it comes time.

Guinness posted:

Tires and a mroe aggressive alignment. Hands down.

Your shocks should be fine on a 2003 car, unless it has a million billion miles on it.

Car only has 20k miles :)

On a side note, how much does it normally cost to pull a ding/dent out? Someone gartefully left me a quarter size ding on my door today while I was at work and its a drat eyesore.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006

leica posted:

Get tires.

i dont know if the NB is different, but the intake is a MUCH bigger improvement

i've dyno'd my car with a racing beat intake, and a catback, and with a stock exhaust.

one horsepower difference.

the intake was good for about 5-6whp.

stock 1.8's tend to get 103, i got 109 and 108

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Dicker posted:

i dont know if the NB is different, but the intake is a MUCH bigger improvement

i've dyno'd my car with a racing beat intake, and a catback, and with a stock exhaust.

one horsepower difference.

the intake was good for about 5-6whp.

stock 1.8's tend to get 103, i got 109 and 108

Dremel a hole in your firewall and run a ShopVac hose from the airbox to the trough below the windscreen wipers and see the same gains. :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Could be the air flow meter, the spring that controls the "door" inside it wears out over time. Or it could be the plug wires, when is the last time you replaced them?

The wires look fairly new. I bought it with 71k on the clock back in April and it's sitting at 80k right now (jesus i drive lot D: ).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

The wires look fairly new. I bought it with 71k on the clock back in April and it's sitting at 80k right now (jesus i drive lot D: ).

It doesn't matter if they look new. Miatas are notorious for deteriorating plug wires, and you can't tell by looking at them. If I were you I'd order a set of NGK blues, it's only 35 bucks. It more than likely will solve the problem. If not, at least you have eliminated a possibility and you'll know how old the wires are.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Decent shocks could be had for under 500$. Maybe a good more aggressive alignment will sharpen things up too.

Shocks would be a waste of money on an '03 when you could spend the money on good tires and alignment. And I stand by my statement of intakes being a waste of money. The only worthwhile intake mod is the Randall cowl intake duct, but like Savington stated you can make one yourself for next to nothing.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM

leica posted:

It doesn't matter if they look new. Miatas are notorious for deteriorating plug wires, and you can't tell by looking at them. If I were you I'd order a set of NGK blues, it's only 35 bucks. It more than likely will solve the problem. If not, at least you have eliminated a possibility and you'll know how old the wires are.

If you can do simple soldering, you can use Corolla coil on plugs and never have to replace another set of plug wires. Even without the (possible) benefits of hotter spark, the COPs will pay for themselves within two or three wire change intervals.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

I honestly want to say that the wires were done at 60k because my wires are blue. :iiam:

Appreciate the help, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That diagram for Aux-in wasn't for my radio. :saddowns:

Anybody have diagrams for the CN200 connector? I only came across some site that was taken over by squatters (sponsored by Amazon.com).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Black Friday netted 450 dollars of my money in limbo (should get it back by Tuesday), but I actually managed to do something useful with my time. With the power of the Way Back Machine and years of robotics in high school, I present to you... blue LEDs!

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Phone posted:

Blue LEDs!

What is it? Just extra interior lighting?

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM
i hope there are some underneath the car for the madd tyte ufo look

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That LINE on the headunit shouldn't be there.

I have the Bose-esque radio which doesn't have the circle DIN on the back, so I had to patch into the tape connector. In the cubby, there's a switch, and when it's on, the radio immediately goes to LINE and receives input from the 1/8" inch miniplug and the blue LED shines.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I've found a deal on a 92 miata locally that I cant pass up, the guy curbed the car pretty hard apparently getting on the interstate. It needs driverside control arm and tie rod. Where would be the best place to get these parts and any idea how much it would run me? What else could this guy have jacked up if he hit a curb hard enough to bend the control arm?

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 28, 2007

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

streetlamp posted:

What else could this guy have jacked up if he hit a curb hard enough to bend the control arm?

The frame, and also other parts which won't fail right away but will mysteriously falter one by one. I'd stay away.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Amir posted:

The frame, and also other parts which won't fail right away but will mysteriously falter one by one. I'd stay away.
Heres the link for the CL ad
http://richmond.craigslist.org/car/491427121.html

When talking to him though he kept mentioning how much I could make by parting it out which Im not arguing but Im buying the drat thing to drive not get rid of. Hopefully I can go get a look at it in the next few days to see how bad all of this is.

Ive been looking for a miata fixer upper for a while now so this really caught my attention. I would be using it for autox and just a daily beater. I've honestly never dealt with a car with any real damage such as this so I figured it would be best to ask before I end up getting something that costs me way more then I anticipated. Any idea where I could get the control arms from?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

streetlamp posted:

When talking to him though he kept mentioning how much I could make by parting it out which Im not arguing

Going to go with Amir here and say to stay away. Hes trying to push a sale for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
So a bolt or something came loose in my engine bay, it held together the power steering fluid. Said fluid leaked everywhere and my steering went really stiff, I called the RAC out and they filled it back up and advised me to have the engine bay steam cleaned.

Car has done 60k and is due a cambelt I believe, so would you guys suggest a cambelt and waterpump change as well as a steam clean and general service?