Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
You have to browse the the forums and then close/re-open Firefox when that happens. It's SALR wanting to refresh the menus (which can't happen unless you close/re-open Firefox)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is there a way I can make SALR realize I changed my username, and highlight posts of mine that are quoted? Currently, it will do that only if it's my previous username being quoted.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Street Butler posted:

Is there a way I can make SALR realize I changed my username, and highlight posts of mine that are quoted? Currently, it will do that only if it's my previous username being quoted.

It's supposed to update every time you hit the forums home or your control panel. It might not be doing that at the moment. You can manually change it in about:config, it's controlled by extensions.salastread.username

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nolgthorn posted:

I have lost my menu.

This has been an ongoing problem for me and others for a long time. It's so intermittent that nobody can ever nail down what's causing it though. Only happens once every few days or few weeks, and seems to be more persistent with some builds vs. others.

I can say I haven't had it happen lately, however.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

This has been an ongoing problem for me and others for a long time. It's so intermittent that nobody can ever nail down what's causing it though. Only happens once every few days or few weeks, and seems to be more persistent with some builds vs. others.

I can say I haven't had it happen lately, however.

ryanbruce posted:

You have to browse the the forums and then close/re-open Firefox when that happens. It's SALR wanting to refresh the menus (which can't happen unless you close/re-open Firefox)

Looks like there is an answer after all?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Revolvyerom posted:

Looks like there is an answer after all?

That's just what I understood to be the problem. I've had similar symptoms with other apps that alter the menu..

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

That's just what I understood to be the problem. I've had similar symptoms with other apps that alter the menu..
Ah, gotcha. Maybe we can get duz or someone else familiar with the code to weigh in on it then.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

Ah, gotcha. Maybe we can get duz or someone else familiar with the code to weigh in on it then.

I don't think anyone knows how the menu works.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

duz posted:

I don't think anyone knows how the menu works.

As in we're surprised that it works or that the code itself has been encrypted...

Edit: It is seriously my favorite feature in SALR, that and quick edit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

As in we're surprised that it works or that the code itself has been encrypted...

Surprised that it works. I'm thinking voodoo is involved.

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

duz posted:

Surprised that it works. I'm thinking voodoo is involved.

You need to sacrifice a goat to make it work correctly (The code is wide open all you need is winrar and a text editor)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

||||||| posted:

You need to sacrifice a goat to make it work correctly (The code is wide open all you need is winrar and a text editor)

And what do I have to sacrifice to get Winrar ported to Linux?
:argh: voodoo

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

duz posted:

I'm sure winrar for linux isn't that hard to find. I know i've gotten it before.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

duz posted:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm Command line only though.

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Lollerich posted:

Once you have winrar on your search path Ark will use it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Lollerich posted:

That's not Winrar, it's just rar. :colbert:
Anyways, what does Winrar have to do with the craziness that makes up the menu?

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

One thing I've noticed is that grabForumList() does no error-checking and has no problem writing a blank forum list over the good one were you to, having just opened your browser window, visit a showthread.php or a forumdisplay.php page that doesn't contain the drop down menu (such as this).

But I don't think that's the real problem. All that does is give you the "Visit a forum to reload list" message (which by the way should be "Reopen your browser and visit a forum..", since grabForumList() won't resolve again until you're reset _gotForumList to false at init time), and not the problem we're seeing with a good list of forum categories but empty menus.

Edit: Actually, if anyone that has the empty menus problem could open up their saforumlist.xml file (in your Firefox profile's root directory) and make sure that it's actually filled in with all the subforums, that would help narrow the problem down to either reading the file and building the menu or grabbing the forums and writing the file.

For example, the beginning should look like this:
code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<forumlist>
<forums>
<cat id="48" name="Main">
<forum id="1" name="General Bullshit">
<forum id="155" name="SA's Front Page Discussion"/>
<forum id="203" name="AwfulPedia"/>
<forum id="205" name="MMO Roulette PlayGround"/></forum>
<forum id="26" name="FYAD: Bread climp">
<forum id="154" name="hope ya like a big melty rear end cooky"/></forum>
<forum id="174" name="BYOB:  Very Tiny Samuel L. Jackson's in the fridge">
<forum id="176" name="Glodmine"/>
<forum id="194" name="Gas Chambre"/></forum></cat>
<cat id="51" name="Discussion">
with all the <forum> tags inside the <cat> tags.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 27, 2007

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

duz posted:

Anyways, what does Winrar have to do with the craziness that makes up the menu?
Nothing. XPIs are actually ZIP archives.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I don't think this has been mentioned, but I may have missed it.

When I close a tab (or sometimes when I open a new one), it keeps the old tab's title in the title bar and URL in the address bar when looking at different tabs. Really annoying when trying to copy a link, have to reload the page to get the correct address to show. I disabled SALR, and now it's working correctly. It seems to have started with the penultimate update of either Firefox or SALR, I'm not sure which.

Currently running Firefox 2.0.0.10 and SALR 1.99.071124; like I said, it didn't work with 2.0.0.9 and the previous SALR version either.

kap
May 30, 2003
no paprika?
Silly question, please don't take offense to this because there's likely a reason that I don't know or etc. Innocent question!

Why not just separate the functions of SALR out into greasemonkey scripts? One for quick reply, one for youtube/whatever link creation, etc. I'd guess you lose the auto update, but then I wouldn't have to close my browser with a thousand open tabs just to fix some bug, and I shouldn't really ever have to update unless one specific thing is broken and then fixed anyway, right?

Given how often updates are made, or fixes happen, would this be unreasonable? I guess it'd be a bitch to have to update a dozen or whatever links in the first post any time there's an update, but, I dunno, splitting things up makes sense to me (again, though, I really have no idea what you guys go through just to get the extension working in the first place).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kap posted:

Why not just separate the functions of SALR out into greasemonkey scripts?
Because then you wouldn't have the SA menu at the top of the browser, which is the main reason I use it. I don't use quick reply or anything like that, just the colors (because the way the forums do it is hard to see) and the menu. When I disabled SALR to see if it was what was causing my problem, it took me a second to remember how to get to the forums (I ended up typing an "f" in the address bar and scrolling through the previous links. Yes, I'm that lazy).

Edit: I realize I could just bookmark all the forums or at least the index page, but where's the fun in that?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also some of us currently do not use greasemonkey so that would be sort of a pain.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg
I know it's a beta, but are you guys looking into Firefox 3 compatibility at all? SALR is pretty broken in 3b1. The menu doesn't pull anything, most of the options do nothing at all, and it's just generally broken. FF3 is so nice on OS X compared to 2, especially in Leopard, which I just got yesterday, and I really don't want to use 2. So, anything? :shobon:

EDIT: Oh yeah, no error messages come up even if I uncheck the suppress error messages option.

Disgustipated fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 29, 2007

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Disgustipated posted:

I know it's a beta, but are you guys looking into Firefox 3 compatibility at all? SALR is pretty broken in 3b1. The menu doesn't pull anything, most of the options do nothing at all, and it's just generally broken. FF3 is so nice on OS X compared to 2, especially in Leopard, which I just got yesterday, and I really don't want to use 2. So, anything? :shobon:

EDIT: Oh yeah, no error messages come up even if I uncheck the suppress error messages option.

Yeah, I've been running FF 3b1 on my laptop and its real nice, but pretty much no feature of SALR retains its settings when you close the config menu. I primarily use SALR for some extra highlighting and the navigation tools, both of which were broken, no messages, nothing in the error console, so I just disabled it.

Would love to get it back, but it is just a beta.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

The reason nothing works in the 3 beta is that it isn't even trying. One of the first things the script does is run a "load" event listener on the window; in Firefox 2 this is fine, the event propagates all the way down to all the tabs and everything is groovy, but in Firefox 3 the event only fires for the window itself loading, not any of that window's children (tabs). Without waiting for the tabs to load, it can't check if you're actually at SA or not, and if it fails that check, it stops trying to do anything else.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

RedKazan posted:

The reason nothing works in the 3 beta is that it isn't even trying. One of the first things the script does is run a "load" event listener on the window; in Firefox 2 this is fine, the event propagates all the way down to all the tabs and everything is groovy, but in Firefox 3 the event only fires for the window itself loading, not any of that window's children (tabs). Without waiting for the tabs to load, it can't check if you're actually at SA or not, and if it fails that check, it stops trying to do anything else.
Ah I understand. So how hard is that to fix? Major rewrite territory? Quick and easy? Somewhere in between? Basically how much of a bounty should I be thinking about putting on this? ;)

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

RedKazan posted:

Having dabbled a little in making Firefox extensions (I kept Duz's extension for Travian going for 6 months or so before I quit), it seems like this would cause quite a few issues with many javascript based extensions. Isn't it standard practice to put a page load listener at the beginning of most scripts like that?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

Ah I understand. So how hard is that to fix? Major rewrite territory? Quick and easy? Somewhere in between? Basically how much of a bounty should I be thinking about putting on this? ;)

I think I've found how to fix it. It looks like it should be easy. If you want to test it for me, head to #salr.
Edit: Looks like it's related to some fixes wrt DOM3. Might be tricky to find a clean way to handle it.

duz fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 29, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Thanks to Disgustipated's and RedKazan's testing, tonight's update includes fixes to get SALR to work on FF3. The option menus may require you to flip back and forth for the settings to get read.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

SALR has suddenly completely stopped working for me. No quick reply, no page nav, no sorting of threads by most recent post in the UCP, and no SA menu at all. Not even a listing of an SALR menu. I can still see it in the Add-ons section, and can configure it from there, but it has stopped doing anything. Post highlighting is dead too, so it seems the entire thing is kaput.

XP SP2, currently updated
Firefox 2.0.0.10
SALR 1.99.071128 (that can't be right, it updated itself just a day or so ago?)

Is this related to all the "Forums database busy" issues that were cropping up this evening, or was I the only person to see those messages?

Edit: Hm, I had installed Firefox Beta 3 in addition to the regular Firefox, but that was several days ago, and hadn't caused any issues yet. Uninstalled it to see, and it didn't fix anything, but maybe the damage is already done? Here's the error console:

Disabling and re-enabling it made no difference, reinstalling it over the old one did nothing. I'm loathe to uninstall and reinstall, unless I know it won't kill everything I had set up in there.

Edit2: OK, uninstalled, rebooted firefox, reinstalled, rebooted firefox. Nothing.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 30, 2007

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
It's working fine for me.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Find this line (2486) in salastreadOverlay.js:
code:
if (persistObject.getPreference("showSAForumMenu") && (document.getElementById("salr-menu") == null))
and change it to this (table-breaking, sorry):
code:
if (persistObject.getPreference("showSAForumMenu") && (document.getElementById("salr-menu") == null) && document.getElementById("main-menubar"))

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Edit: found it!
Edit: Still broken completely :(

Here's the error console info again, this time with a more detailed view:

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 30, 2007

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Immediately before that line you highlighted, insert:
code:
alert(document.getElementById("main-menubar").nodeName + " "
		+ salrMenu.nodeName + " " + iBefore.nodeName);
The alert probably won't even resolve, but hopefully you'll get an error out of that that is at least specific about which node doesn't exist. (If it does resolve, and SALR is functioning correctly, you should get a popup message before Firefox opens that says "menubar menu menu".)

Do you have any other extensions that manipulate the menu bar? Greasemonkey scripts? Have you tried running with only SALR open? Has anything else changed in the last week or so other than the most recent SALR update?

Edit: Also, you may want to try creating a new Firefox profile and running SALR in that to see if it works. When I installed 3 I ran it under a new profile because I didn't trust it not to change my profile in a way to make it not work for 2. You can create a new profile by adding -ProfileManager to the end of the Target line in a Firefox shortcut, outside of the " mark.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 30, 2007

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

For no apparent reason, when I woke up today, it started working. :tinfoil: I haven't even rebooted the computer. It all seems to be functioning fine now. Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot it!

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Aaand it broke again. Added the line you said to add, and I get "menubar menu menu" several times, but it's still broken. I have TinyMenu installed, and have for over a year without issue (and it hasn't updated in months), Greasemonkey scripts that don't touch the menu and haven't been added to or changed in months. The error console displays the exact same error at the exact same line (+1 because of the new line added).

I'll report back here when I've tried a new profile.

A new profile did the trick. So it seems Beta3 borked the old profile :( Is there a way to fix this?

I also tried uninstalling SALR, and going in by hand and deleting SAlastreadsqlite, and then reinstalling. No go.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 1, 2007

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Revolvyerom posted:

A new profile did the trick. So it seems Beta3 borked the old profile :( Is there a way to fix this?

Not that I know of, I can't even tell what is going wrong. I can't figure any logical reason why it can read the nodeNames of the 3 nodes in question, but not find them. You may just have to migrate to a new profile. :(

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

RedKazan posted:

Not that I know of, I can't even tell what is going wrong. I can't figure any logical reason why it can read the nodeNames of the 3 nodes in question, but not find them. You may just have to migrate to a new profile. :(
Well, I gave up and reinstalled Beta 3, and SALR works, for the most part.
I got a weird error when I hit the quick-quote link for your post though, but when I clicked "OK" it proceeded as normal.

The upside is Beta 3 is much faster. The downside is I lost my minimal UI from Tinybar and other plugins :( SALR means that much to me.

Edit: A quick test shows that this error occurs with quick-edit, quick-reply, and quick-quote, repeatably.

Edit2: Aha! Turning OFF "Live Preview" eliminates the error, so hopefully that's helpful.

I hate being the problem child of SALR :(

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 1, 2007

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

It occurs to me that I still have Firefox 2 installed, with the weirdly broken SALR. I have web hosting. Would you like me to bundle it together and you can take a look at the environment it's in? Poke and prod as you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Revolvyerom posted:

It occurs to me that I still have Firefox 2 installed, with the weirdly broken SALR. I have web hosting. Would you like me to bundle it together and you can take a look at the environment it's in? Poke and prod as you like?

If you want, sure. You'll have to pack the broken profile too.

• Locked thread