Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

wolrah posted:

Is there any way I can "bridge" a T1 to Ethernet with any Cisco devices?

I have this setup with an E1 connection, done in the following fashion. This is all on a 2851. I guess this should work on any router with a T1 interface card and ethernet port.

code:
interface Serial0/1/0
 no ip address
 ip virtual-reassembly
 encapsulation frame-relay IETF
 no fair-queue
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi

interface Serial0/1/0.2 point-to-point
 ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/1
 ip virtual-reassembly
 frame-relay interface-dlci 16

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 ip address 195.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
Then give your firewall box an IP in the public address block, with gateway IP of gi0/1 and connect it up to gi0/1. I am assuming you have a block of static IPs you can use. If not, i'm not too sure, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

How often do any of you guys configure loopback interfaces on your routers, and what do you tend to use them for?

We're mostly using loopback interfaces to simplify in-band management and monitoring. We don't do any weird policy-based routing to loopback interface trickery, or anything like that. Nothing very unusual here.

Actually, that's not entirely true, we have some IOS VPN routers that have a ton of loopback interfaces on a per-VRF basis, and then we tell Virtual-Template interfaces to go ip unnumbered to those loopbacks.

Biggz posted:

interface Serial0/1/0.2 point-to-point
ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/1
Wait a minute, doesn't ip unnumbered to an ethernet interface cause the router to arp for every packet leaving out that interface?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

How often do any of you guys configure loopback interfaces on your routers, and what do you tend to use them for?

I use loopbacks on all my routers. They are used for the routing protocol router id, the snmp trap source, the tacacs source, the ntp source, the syslog source, and the icmp/snmp polling destination.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

inignot posted:

I use loopbacks on all my routers. They are used for the routing protocol router id, the snmp trap source, the tacacs source, the ntp source, the syslog source, and the icmp/snmp polling destination.

Definitely. Interface addresses come and go, but a good loopback lasts forever.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

jwh posted:

How is WCS at administering multiple client / sites from one installation?

We have an interesting environment where we act as a managed services provider for a number of client organizations. Our current plan is to deploy a number of 2106 controllers and lightweight radios (estimates in the ~120 controllers, ~300 radios range), and administer the entire shootin' match from WCS.

However, WCS is one of those things that isn't easy to get your mittens on unless you already have it, so we have a number of outstanding questions about it's operation. Most of those questions we hope to answer with a WCS evaluation and some pilot gear, which I hope will arrive sometime in the next few weeks.

This is what WCS does good, however with just 300 radios why not go with a WISM and H-REAP? Administrating 120 controllers vs 1 is just going to cause you lots and lots of pain.

CrazyLittle posted:

Always as source interfaces for routing protocols, as loopback interfaces never go down with interfaces.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
I'm using a Pix 515 and I'm trying to route traffic on ports 61000 and 61001 to our dmz webserver. With the dmz webserver's ip being 172.16.0.8, would this be incorrect?

access-list acl_mdc_VLFrame_access_1 extended permit tcp any host 172.16.0.8 eq 61001
access-list acl_mdc_VLFrame_access_1 extended permit tcp any host 172.16.0.8 eq 61000

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

permanoob posted:

I'm using a Pix 515 and I'm trying to route traffic on ports 61000 and 61001 to our dmz webserver. With the dmz webserver's ip being 172.16.0.8, would this be incorrect?

access-list acl_mdc_VLFrame_access_1 extended permit tcp any host 172.16.0.8 eq 61001
access-list acl_mdc_VLFrame_access_1 extended permit tcp any host 172.16.0.8 eq 61000

Are you doing any NAT with your firewall? If so there should also be a "static" rule somewhere in there that you need to check, incase you're only doing port forwarding instead of one-to-one static nats.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

I've got a 3524XL switch that I cant seem to be able to get console access to. I connect the cable and boot the switch up and I get nothing on my terminal software. The switch functions (devices plugged in can get IP address from an external DHCP server) but I cant configure the drat thing. Ideas on how to get in?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

XakEp posted:

I've got a 3524XL switch that I cant seem to be able to get console access to. I connect the cable and boot the switch up and I get nothing on my terminal software. The switch functions (devices plugged in can get IP address from an external DHCP server) but I cant configure the drat thing. Ideas on how to get in?

Somebody might have changed the line rate of the console port. Try 115200. If that doesn't work, you should be able to reset the switch by holding down the status button on the front face-plate (does this work on the 3500s?).

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

jwh posted:

Somebody might have changed the line rate of the console port. Try 115200. If that doesn't work, you should be able to reset the switch by holding down the status button on the front face-plate (does this work on the 3500s?).

The procedure on a 3500 series is to hold down the mode button while the box is off, power it up and release the button when the port 1 LED turns off. I've done that, but still nothing on my terminal.

Unless I have two bad cables/rj45 adapters I have no loving clue.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

XakEp posted:

The procedure on a 3500 series is to hold down the mode button while the box is off, power it up and release the button when the port 1 LED turns off. I've done that, but still nothing on my terminal.

Unless I have two bad cables/rj45 adapters I have no loving clue.

If you're using an actual cisco rj45 adapter, you need to use a rollover cable between the adapter and the switch, do you have a molded cable, or can you make a rollover?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Girdle Wax posted:

If you're using an actual cisco rj45 adapter, you need to use a rollover cable between the adapter and the switch, do you have a molded cable, or can you make a rollover?

Yeah, they're rollovers. One is the OEM light blue cable, the other isnt, but I can confirm its a rollover. I have a molded somewhere else, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit - Got a molded one here at the office. I'll try it when I get home.

vvvv My understanding is the default route will be used after all other routes in the routing table dont match vvvv

XakEp fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 3, 2007

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Here's the routing table from our 4506. 172.16.0.0/24 is the voip network. 10.0.0.0/8 is the data network. 10.6.4.2 is a pix 501 I use for VPN access. None of this was set up by me, I'm just trying to make sense of a few things in parallel with my CCNA course work.

Does the default route supersede the directly connected and static routes? Is my Pix501 acting like a router while I'm accessing it with a standard home network network(192.168.1.0/24)?

code:
Gateway of last resort is 10.5.5.5 to network 0.0.0.0

172.16.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C       172.16.1.0 is directly connected, Vlan2
C    10.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, Vlan1
S    192.168.1.0/24 [1/0] via 10.6.4.2
S*   0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 10.5.5.5

Boner Buffet fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 3, 2007

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

XakEp posted:

vvvv My understanding is the default route will be used after all other routes in the routing table dont match vvvv

Confirming this, routing table (assuming static and no ECMP/UCMP dynamic routing is going on) routes based on:
1) Longest match.
2) Lowest metric/cost.

So the most specific entry will take the traffic.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Are you doing any NAT with your firewall? If so there should also be a "static" rule somewhere in there that you need to check, incase you're only doing port forwarding instead of one-to-one static nats.

I'm still pretty new at this stuff so I'm going to go further here. I'd know a lot more about this had I been the one setting this up from the beginning but I feel like I'm diving into a shark tank without a cage.

I'm looking over the running config and I can see where the vlan is setup for the DMZ. I see some static routes setup but it all seems to be for inter-network travel and a couple of outbound mappings. I can see the ACL I need to add what I need but I'm obviously not adding the right info. Here's the pertinent part of the running config, any chance I can get a hand with this? I need 61000 and 61001 traffic forwarded to the DMZ.

permanoob fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 4, 2007

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If someone has a box running 12.4(15)T1, or can get a box running 12.4(15)T1, I'd like to see if they can reproduce a CEF problem with SSL VPN and VRF.

If somebody has hardware and an interest in helping, I can provide you with configs.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

jwh posted:

If someone has a box running 12.4(15)T1, or can get a box running 12.4(15)T1, I'd like to see if they can reproduce a CEF problem with SSL VPN and VRF.

If somebody has hardware and an interest in helping, I can provide you with configs.

Check your PMs.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

permanoob posted:

I'm still pretty new at this stuff so I'm going to go further here. I'd know a lot more about this had I been the one setting this up from the beginning but I feel like I'm diving into a shark tank without a cage.

I'm looking over the running config and I can see where the vlan is setup for the DMZ. I see some static routes setup but it all seems to be for inter-network travel and a couple of outbound mappings. I can see the ACL I need to add what I need but I'm obviously not adding the right info. Here's the pertinent part of the running config, any chance I can get a hand with this? I need 61000 and 61001 traffic forwarded to the DMZ.

Nevermind. Got it taken care off by adding an object group with the two ports I needed and applying it to the VLAN.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Girdle Wax posted:

well dip me in poo poo and fry me as a hush puppy - the molded cable worked! looks like I really did have 2 bad console cables!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

What kind of box? If you still need help that is.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CrazyLittle posted:

Everyone router, sometimes multiple of them on a single router.

Dynamic routing protocol source interfaces, ntp source interfaces, snmp source interfaces., etc.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
I have a pair of stacked 3750's with a couple VLANs. One VLAN is used for Internet based traffic and the other is private SAN traffic. I'd like to use an mtu of 9000 for the second vlan, however from what I've read the mtu can only be set system wide and not per interface or vlan. How will having a sys mtu of 9000 affect internet traffic that upstreams to a pair of ASA's that have an mtu of 1500?

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

jwh posted:

Is that problem related to the router crashing? We have some 3825's running 12.4(15)T1 that crash after a while when users connect using the AnyConnect VPN client, we're using vrf as well. It's a known issue that will be fixed on the next release.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

brent78 posted:

I have a pair of stacked 3750's with a couple VLANs. One VLAN is used for Internet based traffic and the other is private SAN traffic. I'd like to use an mtu of 9000 for the second vlan, however from what I've read the mtu can only be set system wide and not per interface or vlan. How will having a sys mtu of 9000 affect internet traffic that upstreams to a pair of ASA's that have an mtu of 1500?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12240se/cr/cli2.htm#wp1949594

The SAN ports aren't routed (I assume) so you might be able to do system mtu jumbo. Also if you have path mtu discovery running it shouldn't be a big deal.

jwh posted:

I haven't forgotten about you, the last few days have just royally sucked.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 5, 2007

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

brent78 posted:

Is that problem related to the router crashing? We have some 3825's running 12.4(15)T1 that crash after a while when users connect using the AnyConnect VPN client, we're using vrf as well. It's a known issue that will be fixed on the next release.

I haven't seen the router crash yet- I'm just seeing all WebVPN traffic outbound from the router to a connected client stop. Seems to take from between fifteen seconds and two minutes to happen. I don't see the problem when I remove 'webvpn cef'.

Tremblay posted:

I haven't forgotten about you, the last few days have just royally sucked.
That's ok, I'm in no rush. I appreciate it.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

brent78 posted:

Shouldn't affect things at all, since it probably won't be the 3750's generating the traffic. If everyone else on the "internet" VLAN uses mtu 1500 (which they would unless explicitly told otherwise), noone will ever notice anything.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:D

I've been trying to come up with a solution to some network latency I have been experiencing recently, especially in regards to torrents.

I'm looking for a way to throttle my Bittorent traffic not from my own computer, but over the network. And not really throttle it, but prioritize web traffic, in fact most other traffic over bittorent traffic, so I can browse the internet, play games, etc etc while dynamically throttleing the traffic? I know I can go and buy a router that supports QoS, but are there any OS based solutions that I can impliment between my router and DSL modem? Something that would act like an network fire wall, and as device that supports QoS?

And it just so happens that my friend has an extra Cisco PIX 501 laying around his house he is gonna let me borrow. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my CCNA, and I'm wondering if this thing is gonna be completely beyond me...cryptotables and the like already have my brain aching.

What I'd like to do is plug the PIX into my network (assuming it works this way) like this:

Fa0/0 DSL Modem to internet

Fa0/1 Wireless router w/AAA set up (gently caress you wardrivers)
Fa0/2 Connects to Linksys BEFSR81 upstairs with 3 computers on it
Fa0/3 Mom's Mac

Can I do it like that? Or am I doing it wrong? I realize that what I am doing is so beyond what I need, but I really don't care, I need the experience.

One other question: Does the PIX support uPnP?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

I'm looking for a way to throttle my Bittorent traffic not from my own computer, but over the network. And not really throttle it, but prioritize web traffic, in fact most other traffic over bittorent traffic, so I can browse the internet, play games, etc etc while dynamically throttleing the traffic? I know I can go and buy a router that supports QoS, but are there any OS based solutions that I can impliment between my router and DSL modem? Something that would act like an network fire wall, and as device that supports QoS?
Linux (with iptables/tc, wondershaper would probably work here), or BSD (pfSense, m0n0wall).

Wicaeed posted:

What I'd like to do is plug the PIX into my network (assuming it works this way) like this:

Fa0/0 DSL Modem to internet

Fa0/1 Wireless router w/AAA set up (gently caress you wardrivers)
Fa0/2 Connects to Linksys BEFSR81 upstairs with 3 computers on it
Fa0/3 Mom's Mac

Can I do it like that? Or am I doing it wrong? I realize that what I am doing is so beyond what I need, but I really don't care, I need the experience.
It only has 2 interfaces (labelled inside and outside in the PIX). The 5 (?) inside ports on the back are plugged into an internal switch into the inside port.

Wicaeed posted:

One other question: Does the PIX support uPnP?
I don't believe it can do uPNP, you can work around this somewhat by assigning a port range to each computer (eg, 56400-56499 goes to internal IP .64, etc) and configuring the computers with DHCP reservations/static IPs and telling applications to use that dynamic port range. Or if it's a protocol that the PIX understands (non-encrypted FTP, SIP) you can let the PIX do fixup.

The one thing that'll suck on a 501 is that you're stuck on 6.0 code, PDM sucks compared to ASDM imo.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Girdle Wax posted:

The one thing that'll suck on a 501 is that you're stuck on 6.0 code, PDM sucks compared to ASDM imo.

Java timeout issues too. If its what you have, it'll do the job, but dont expect it to be frustration free.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm working through even more VPN client issues, and I'm being told from our systems people that we need our VPN connected clients to register themselves in DNS.

Apparently when a remote user connects now, they're registering in WINS, but not in DNS, which is leading to all kinds of terrible things- if you're a Windows systems guy. Personally, I don't know if expecting VPN connected clients to have accurate forward or reverse DNS is a reasonable expectation in the first place, but it's being asked for.

I've spent a day or two looking at DHCP Client Proxy features for Easy VPN on IOS, but it doesn't appear to want to work with VRF, and before I spend any more time on it, I have to ask how everyone else is solving this problem. Or, if this is even a problem for anyone else.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

jwh posted:

I'm working through even more VPN client issues, and I'm being told from our systems people that we need our VPN connected clients to register themselves in DNS.

Apparently when a remote user connects now, they're registering in WINS, but not in DNS, which is leading to all kinds of terrible things- if you're a Windows systems guy. Personally, I don't know if expecting VPN connected clients to have accurate forward or reverse DNS is a reasonable expectation in the first place, but it's being asked for.

I've spent a day or two looking at DHCP Client Proxy features for Easy VPN on IOS, but it doesn't appear to want to work with VRF, and before I spend any more time on it, I have to ask how everyone else is solving this problem. Or, if this is even a problem for anyone else.

It looks like you can do this with a concentrator. Not sure about ASA or IOS. Windows hosts have DDNS clients on them, why can't the host do it after the tunnel comes up?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I have ever seen the Windows DDNS function work properly for the virtual interfaces created from VPN or PPP or such things. On the other hand, I can't see why not having a DNS name should cause problems for a client connecting over VPN. Having DNS names for client PC's (from VPN or on a LAN) is nice to have, but rarely really needed for applications to work. Also, I thought the whole point of still having WINS is to be able to cover just that, some kind of naming service (to map a share at a client PC with a certain name or something) when DNS is not around. I have never had to bother with WINS since Windows 2000 (which speaks DNS well).

Might be they can get by with just having any kind of proper DNS name, like if there is some app requiring a name in a certain domain to grant access. In that case, just generate a bunch of generic names (vpn-dynamic-123.foo.bar or something), forward and backward for the entire address pool

I would make sure whoever requires it specifies for what purposes they need DNS names, and see if they really know what they're talking about.

(this is in no way a solution, but getting rid of the problem altogether is always a good fix :v: )

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Tremblay posted:

It looks like you can do this with a concentrator. Not sure about ASA or IOS. Windows hosts have DDNS clients on them, why can't the host do it after the tunnel comes up?

Good question. I don't know the answer. I suppose we would need a way to automatically launch that DDNS update process once a tunnel has been established, but I haven't seen a way to do this.

ionn posted:

I would make sure whoever requires it specifies for what purposes they need DNS names, and see if they really know what they're talking about.
Well, from what I'm hearing we have some kind of application that wants to connect to machines by name (DNS) to supply updates or patches or something like that, and the fact that DNS is not accurate for VPN connected clients is causing this application to flip out.

Personally, I think it's fairly stupid that this process is a 'push' as opposed to a 'pull' initiated by the client, but there's not a lot I can do about that. It's not a very good situation.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Would you guys talk to me a little bit about how you handle routing? What's your organization size, number of subnets, type of routing? Do you use static or dynamic? I'd like to read a bit about some real world applications.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

Would you guys talk to me a little bit about how you handle routing? What's your organization size, number of subnets, type of routing? Do you use static or dynamic? I'd like to read a bit about some real world applications.

medium sized ISP/NSP/colo

subnets:
$ grep - route | grep -vi unused | wc -l
(roughly, all allocated all over the place too).

we make heavy use of dynamic routing protocols (ospf containing customer routed subnets and loopback addresses, redist'd from statics on the actual layer3 device the customer connects to (we redist static/connected into ospf)), bgp just contains our aggregates, and prefixes learned from other bgp speakers (customers/peers/upstreams).

ideally we should be doing more aggregation/hierarchy in our IGP (allocate a /22 or something to a customer agg router, and slice it up for bridges/customer prefixes) but that makes it harder renumbering/moving customers from router to router if we need to, so we haven't done any real aggregation of that kind except for remote POPs (null route a /24 on the 'edge'/'core' router of the remote POP, let that advertise back to the main network, then advertise more specifics inside the POP for customers/bridges.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

InferiorWang posted:

About 150 sites, two datacenter / aggregation facilities. Datacenter IGP is OSPF, MPLS WAN is all BGP. EIGRP is used for DMVPN backup connectivity.

It's more routing protocols than I would want, but there's not much of an alternative. We also run each datacenter as a standalone OSPF backbone, which was done to help 'contain' faults. We only advertise summary aggregates towards the WAN, while the datacenter(s) pick up everything as redistributed OSPF E2's.

I think it's about 800 routes these days, total, including loopbacks.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I want to VPN in to a ASA 5510. I'm confused by the webvpn, ssl vpn, easyvpn options. Can someone post a simple ipsec config for use with the cisco client, or even pptp if its supported. I want to authenticate local users only.

Sneaksie
Feb 13, 2003

InferiorWang posted:

It depends on where you are and where you are looking.
The various 16 or so WAN centers that are used tend to re-use the 10.0.0.0/16 network, although some have 172 and 192 addresses mixed in for added fun.
Public IP addresses have been allocated per Data Centre, however some smart people pick free ranges from the middle and send them elsewhere.
There are a mixture of BGP, OSPF and Static. It all depends on who designed the network and how long ago it was designed.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

brent78 posted:

I want to VPN in to a ASA 5510. I'm confused by the webvpn, ssl vpn, easyvpn options. Can someone post a simple ipsec config for use with the cisco client, or even pptp if its supported. I want to authenticate local users only.

Well, you wont be using easyvpn for a remote access vpn, it's meant for site to site vpns. For the other two you mentioned, its a whole different ball game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the other two dont require the cisco vpn client. They're web based. An IPsec over UDP/NAT-T or IPsec over TCP (I know, I have them backwards in precedence) will require the cisco vpn client.

Edit - http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_14/g_sslvpn.htm

quote:

The Cisco WebVPN feature provides remote access to enterprise sites by users from anywhere on the Internet. The Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides users with secure access to specific enterprise applications, such as e-mail and web browsing, without requiring them to have VPN client software installed on their end-user devices.

Yeah, thought so. You dont need the vpn client for ssl/webvpn setups.

XakEp fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

brent78 posted:

Do you have ASDM installed on the device? If so, go to VPN in ASDM, click "VPN Wizard". It's probably the easiest and quickest way to configure VPN on an ASA/PIX.