Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

modernlifeisadam posted:

It really kind of makes me mad that everyone who's mentioned Wolves In the Throne Room's newest album has made some sort of disclaimer that people here don't/won't like it, haha. I think it's a really loving solid album, regardless of what hipsters namedrop them and DSO/Alcest these days, IMO it's still fuckin' great.
I really don't think it's that solid, and the (less metal) parts that appeal to non-metal-fans are the ones that I find to be weak, so it makes discussing it kind of annoying. You get lots of people with little to no perspective on black metal talking about how amazing something is that I don't think is much above average.

quote:

And yeah, Amouseurs is loving amazing, have they put anything out besides that little EP, yet?
They apparently have a split with Valfunde out as of the last week of November but I dunno about finding it. This is all that was up on their myspace:

http://myspace.com/amesoeurs posted:

The Amesoeurs/Valfunde split EP is out

The Amesoeurs/Valfunde split vinyl is available from now through De Profundis.

http://rosenkrantz-studio.com/

That url is strikingly unhelpful, btw, I haven't tried mailing that address yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

modernlifeisadam posted:

hipsters namedrop them and DSO/Alcest

I repeat, who the gently caress cares. I love Wolves in the Throne Room and Alcest, and if being creative and making something new is somehow frowned upon in the black metal circles then gently caress them.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If you're not listening to Fjoergyn already you should be. They're on the folky and melodic side of the spectrum but if you don't mind that you'll be fine.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Tsaedje posted:

If you're not listening to Fjoergyn already you should be. They're on the folky and melodic side of the spectrum but if you don't mind that you'll be fine.

Alright, so I clicked your link, and I start listening to the song "Die Hierachie Der Engel". The piano kind of threw me off. As nice as it was, I wasn't expecting the song to get as heavy as it did. The semi-breakdown at around 3:00 reminded me a lot of DragonForce, just without the masturbatory guitars. I really liked it. Thanks bro :)

Necro Beer
Dec 25, 2006
So good, its deadly!

Dyna Soar posted:

I repeat, who the gently caress cares. I love Wolves in the Throne Room and Alcest, and if being creative and making something new is somehow frowned upon in the black metal circles then gently caress them.

While agree with you that its not really important Who listens to a band as opposed to what the band's creative output is, a black metal band getting attention from hipsters is generally going to cause some negative associations for people especially in a sub-genre so proudly irrelevant and esoteric.
I don't think black metal fans begrudge either Wolves or Alcest for making something creative and new, I think most just resent that they've captured the attention of hipsters. This is annoying because these will be temporary fans who will likely dismiss the rest of the genre out of ignorance.

but yeah you're right, who the gently caress cares?

Also I'm listening to Alcest for the first time right now and I would really like an explanation as to why they are being discussed in this thread. It sounds like post-rock/indie and I really have to grasp straws to figure out where the black metal influence is.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

This talk about infusing black metal with more "hipster" influences got me thinking... What's the popular opinion on Sólstafir? Personally, as a fan of both black metal and post-rock, I was pretty much hooked by the time their first epic "I Myself The Visionary Head" off their most recent album introduced double bass and blastbeats into the post-rock/metal formula. Though I would have preferred to more of those elements to be present, I still found the sound to be quite refreshing from the standard post-rock fare you'd get. I would personally support seeing more of this kind of cross-pollination between black metal and other genres such as post-rock or drone doom with longer, drawn-out songs.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Necro Beer posted:

While agree with you that its not really important Who listens to a band as opposed to what the band's creative output is, a black metal band getting attention from hipsters is generally going to cause some negative associations for people especially in a sub-genre so proudly irrelevant and esoteric.
I don't think black metal fans begrudge either Wolves or Alcest for making something creative and new, I think most just resent that they've captured the attention of hipsters. This is annoying because these will be temporary fans who will likely dismiss the rest of the genre out of ignorance.

but yeah you're right, who the gently caress cares?

Also I'm listening to Alcest for the first time right now and I would really like an explanation as to why they are being discussed in this thread. It sounds like post-rock/indie and I really have to grasp straws to figure out where the black metal influence is.

Can someone actually name a single "hipster" listening to WITTR? I don't really think of myself as a hipster, but I listen to a lot of things - one of them being black metal. I also listen to indie rock - does that taint my opinion of BM? Ridiculous.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brightfield posted:

Can someone actually name a single "hipster" listening to WITTR? I don't really think of myself as a hipster, but I listen to a lot of things - one of them being black metal. I also listen to indie rock - does that taint my opinion of BM? Ridiculous.

It's mainly a label for the people who don't know much about BM. There's tons around. Most "hipsters" are labeled that because they listen to stuff like Dark Funeral, Leviathan, Funeral Mist, Dimmu Borgir, WITTR, etc and don't dig deep into the music. On the hating side, it's mostly the people who practically hate everything but the raw BM bands (myself included in this). The difference here is that even though I think that stuff is gay/boring as hell, i'm not going to sit and whine about people's tastes, hah.

Chris the Sphinx
Oct 18, 2007

by DocEvil
What about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum? Is that hipster crap? Folk-infused metal? Art-metal?

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I live in Williamsburg Brooklyn, hipster center of the universe and I cant say I have ever really met or seen anyone into Xasthur or WITTR or any of the so called hipster metal bands. Then again I doubt any of them actually listen to them and just like to throw out the names every so often to show how much they are into "underground" music and ahead of the curve.

I think the internet always makes things look bigger than they really are.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Can anyone reccommend some black metal like Wolves in the Throne Room? I seem to be fitting that hipster definition really well, as I love Alcest and Wolves but can't stand the majority of black metal. I've tried listening to the older stuff (Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, etc.) and a few newer things (Deathspell Omega) but I don't like any of it.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Necro Beer posted:

Listen to the Le Secret EP. The full length is a lot different from it.

And, while I can't really name specific people who are into them, I know from atleast 2 other message boards I go to that those bands, along with everything BM on Hydra Head/Southern Lord, and DSO and Leviathan for some reason as mentioned beforehand, are namedropped a lot by people who are normally into hipster music. Not that I care, i'm just saying, I don't think any of these bands should lose their credibility by trying to do something fairly new.

And, to the guy above me, Amoseurs, as mentioned before, you would probably be into, uhh, Velvet Cocoon maybe, definitely check out Lunar Aurora

modernlifeisadam fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 3, 2007

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
About the hipster thing, the real hipsters are listening to the most necro stuff these days. Check out aquarius records and the only thing they hype is urfaust or really anything that was produced in someones basement with incredibly bad drumming. Plus points if you get your bi-polar neighbor to do the vocals. They also constantly name drop how xasthur and leviathan come into their store and talk necro metal.

Also, the Alcest record was about the best post metal album this year. Niege is definetly the man as far as the french scene is concerned.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Necro Beer posted:

Do you consider Burzum's Filosofem to be black metal? Neige is a big dude in French BM (he's a member of Peste Noire, a more standard BM band, and still loving awesome, and Amesoeurs, which is half-black-metal-half-post-punk), and Alcest's EP isn't traditional, but it's still black metal. He's got the black metal cred, and he comes from a black metal background, so I'd say it's black metal, albeit black metal that sounds like shoegaze.

The most surprising bit of this whole thing is, frankly, that he hadn't heard My Bloody Valentine until he'd finished and released Souvenirs...

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Well, call me a hipster. My Bloody Valentine and Burzum are like my two favorite bands in the world. Seriously, though, I thought hipsters were dudes who wear skinny jeans and listened to Of Montreal while they're shopping at Urban Outfitters. Oh, wait, I actually do two of those things. drat, I really can't shake this hipster label. Oh, one last thing...Dimmu actually did have one or two decent albums. I'm not gonna hate on them because they totally sold out and became CoF wannabes.

brightfield fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's not really about the way you dress or what you really listen to, it's mainly knowledge based. Today I wore a Green and tan polo shirt and green cargo pants. I also listen to tons of hip-hop :black101:

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Oh, it's totally about the look - see...

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v3/volume22/0/images/carter_hipster.png

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

brightfield posted:

Can someone actually name a single "hipster" listening to WITTR?
Hydrac7

Necro Beer posted:

It's not metal but a lot of the sound is informed by black metal, between the fuzzy production and occasional double-bass and somewhat aggressive drumming (though ironically I think the drumming is more metal but less aggressive and driving than some normal shoegaze). It's a side-project of a black metal artist and it's pretty common for side-projects to be discussed in threads even when the side-project doesn't fit the genre exactly.

Euphoria 5L posted:

He's got the black metal cred, and he comes from a black metal background, so I'd say it's black metal, albeit black metal that sounds like shoegaze.
This kind of confuses me. It doesn't sound like black metal, why would you ever call it black metal? Even Neige himself says it's not black metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brightfield posted:

Oh, it's totally about the look - see...

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v3/volume22/0/images/carter_hipster.png
Haha, that's awesome.

het posted:

This kind of confuses me. It doesn't sound like black metal, why would you ever call it black metal? Even Neige himself says it's not black metal.

I was going to say that.

Burzum is clearly black metal but his ambient stuff definitely is not.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

IntoTheNihil posted:

Have you heard ABiTNS?

Are you talking to me?
Yeah, of course I have.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

het posted:

Hydrac7

:shobon:

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

I put on Sons of Northern Darkness while I was shoveling the foot deep snow off of my driveway, and it took long enough for me to listen to the entire thing. We have 3 days straight of snow coming on the 14th so I'm probably going to get through At the Heart of Winter, Blizzard Beasts and Battles in the North. Now that's how you listen to Immortal.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Bobulot posted:

I put on Sons of Northern Darkness while I was shoveling the foot deep snow off of my driveway, and it took long enough for me to listen to the entire thing. We have 3 days straight of snow coming on the 14th so I'm probably going to get through At the Heart of Winter, Blizzard Beasts and Battles in the North. Now that's how you listen to Immortal.

Break out the MC Hammer shuffle while wearing stretch pants and you're set.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

I look up "Abbath in snow" and bam look at the top image result

crapjack
Aug 1, 2005
Hey man, hit this shit!

Dehtraen posted:

Is there a video anywhere of said shuffle dance. All I get from youtube is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8jjjC45Etc

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.

Bobulot posted:

The two most memorable times I have listening to Immortal are when I was a cart-pusher at the local grocery store uring the winter, that was epic as gently caress. Then, sunbathing on the beach later in the year, for like 3 hours, it was probably the best thing about that vacation, pure zen. At The Heart of Winter is the best soundtrack to zoning out in the hot sun, but that's neither here, nor there.

Yep, someone came home a bronzed god from Mt. Olympus!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

crapjack posted:

Is there a video anywhere of said shuffle dance. All I get from youtube is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8jjjC45Etc

I couldn't either, but he did it repeated at the California show... Reference 1:45 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4 He basically did that across the stage. It was pretty terrible.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dehtraen posted:

I couldn't either, but he did it repeated at the California show... Reference 1:45 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4 He basically did that across the stage. It was pretty terrible.
Um that sounds pretty awesome to me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

het posted:

Um that sounds pretty awesome to me

Negative Hammer responses need to be bannable on sight

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood
Oooooh.. "Black" Metal. I get it.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Ok...so moving back to the music. Anyone heard Torch of War? I downloaded a couple of the songs from the Cosmo Lee blog post today (Invisible Oranges). Well, I just have to say, it's my kind of sound. If you're a fan of Burzum, Xasthur, or WITTR, you'll probably like these guys.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Bobulot posted:

I look up "Abbath in snow" and bam look at the top image result

I think "Abbath in snow" would leave you grim and frostbitten.

Mainly frostbitten. And it would be hard to use soap.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
I've been listening to both Journey Through The End of Life and Requiem of December from Beatrik lately and I have to say I'm glad I heard about this band. Very much a Burum/Darkthrone hybrid, but not as generic as I'm probably making it sound. Definitely check them out if you haven't already.

http://www.myspace.com/beatrik1212

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Did anyone here know that Dani Filth was recording the theme song for Dario Argento's new movie "The Mother of Tears"? What bullshit. I've actually seen "Suspiria" (the first of the "Three Mothers" trilogy), and it had some truly scary music going on.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

brightfield posted:

Did anyone here know that Dani Filth was recording the theme song for Dario Argento's new movie "The Mother of Tears"? What bullshit. I've actually seen "Suspiria" (the first of the "Three Mothers" trilogy), and it had some truly scary music going on.

That's because people with actual talent (Goblin) were making the music.

5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG
Jul 14, 2007

dodecatuple secret probation
Just heard of Xasthur yesterday and listened to the new one "Defective Epitaph," I never realized how trendy I was being having never heard of this before.

Anyway can I get a couple of BM recommendations please? I absolutely love old school emperor, windir, (classic norwegian crap), naglfar (bm?)... but some of the "kvlt" poo poo (e.g., mayhem live in sarpsborg) ends up sounding like the anal oval office mockery of BM.

As an aside, I found this on the internet, I think its pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfTFTTzn85c
(10 most retarded videos of black metal)

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

Xithyl posted:

I've been listening to both Journey Through The End of Life and Requiem of December from Beatrik lately and I have to say I'm glad I heard about this band. Very much a Burum/Darkthrone hybrid, but not as generic as I'm probably making it sound. Definitely check them out if you haven't already.

http://www.myspace.com/beatrik1212

The frontman's other band, Tenebrae in Perpetuum is also very good. It doesn't have any of the funeral doom of Beatrik and has a completely different vocal style.

Richard Blaine
Apr 25, 2007

World's
Dumbest,
Lamest
Avenger
Truth. Justice. A++ Feedback.
I'm hoping for some metal suggestions. I really really liked Therion - Secret of the Runes and Otyg and Lumsk. Any other bands like that - sort of folk/viking metal with epic themes? Anything in English like this that is good?

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

cranial extraction posted:

Anyway can I get a couple of BM recommendations please? I absolutely love old school emperor, windir, (classic norwegian crap), naglfar (bm?)... but some of the "kvlt" poo poo (e.g., mayhem live in sarpsborg) ends up sounding like the anal oval office mockery of BM.

Nocternity is really good symphonic, epic black metal that doesn't sound sterile and has a really washed out sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Summoning! It's not for everyone, but imagine Lord of the Rings - The Musical. Summoning supplies the BM soundtrack.