Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I'm paying $800/6 months, but that's for 2 drivers, 3 cars w/ $500 deductible, $100k property damage w/full comprehensive and collision. Of course, I'm 31 and married.

Edit: just changed my coverage. $300/year for $500 deductible comprehensive & collision on 2 cars that would be totaled if all 4 tires went flat? Yeah, gently caress that. Only have comprehensive now on the '04 4-Runner. Down to $650/6 months now :) Wish I'd have done that 2 years ago. Actually, wish I didn't have ANY insurance for the last 10 years since I've never had an accident, and would like to have that money back...

grover fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Schwack posted:

I just wanna make sure I'm not being a dick here, my email back was basically going to be, "Ill only pay $5600, if you cant do that then I wont be buying from you."

Just a heads up, I bought an immaculate 96 M with 108,000 miles for $4900 out the door from a small dealer/wholesaler. Granted, I'm in northeast PA and out of season, but consider my purchase when coming up with a fair offer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Schwack posted:

I just wanna make sure I'm not being a dick here, my email back was basically going to be, "Ill only pay $5600, if you cant do that then I wont be buying from you."

Who cares if they think you're a dick? You're trying to get the best deal, same as they are. As long as you're not a raging prick about it, you're good karma-wise.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To add to that, you're dealing with car salesmen here. With precious few exceptions you'll have to be the Dick King Of All Dicks to out-dick them.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
There sure is a lot of dick talk in this here Miata thread. Go figure.

Hopefully this works out, Im tired of driving my moms base model 91. Its tough as hell to defog all the windows without AC.

EDIT: Well, this morning a new 97 M came up with under 60k miles, only problem is: it has a luggage rack on the trunk. Is this something I could economically get rid of?

Schwack fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 4, 2007

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Schwack posted:

EDIT: Well, this morning a new 97 M came up with under 60k miles, only problem is: it has a luggage rack on the trunk. Is this something I could economically get rid of?

Yeah, just remove the rack, fill up the screw holes nicely, remove the trunk lid and take it to a body shop and have it sprayed. Shouldn't be more than $150 if you do everything but spray it, otherwise a shop will charge more for labor filling the holes and whatnot.

I wouldn't let a luggage rack be a deal breaker either way though.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Ok, so a 97 M with 57k on it, worth 6400?

It has also had the tbelt done recently.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Schwack posted:

If it's in excellent condition, yes.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Schwack posted:

Definitely. Also, I believe Autokonexion is working on a replacement hood with one of its nicer lip spoilers integrated into it, that'd be something to look into if you're too lazy to fill in some holes, should be pretty inexpensive as well.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)
Hardtop question, I can pick up an after market hardtop for $700. I really want a hardtop for the winter.

Problems: Few scratches, part that slides over the Frankenstein bolts needs to be replaced.

Is it worth it?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Gear Head posted:

Hardtop question, I can pick up an after market hardtop for $700. I really want a hardtop for the winter.

Problems: Few scratches, part that slides over the Frankenstein bolts needs to be replaced.

Is it worth it?
I believe you could grab these for cheap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mazd...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hard top scratches are pretty easy to repair (especially since you can just take the top off and bring it in the house to work in leisure). Paintscratch.com is great for that stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't heard anything good about aftermarket hardtops, other than that they exist... somewhere.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

Just talked to the guy. It's a snugtop. It's missing the front-right/rear-right latches and has a 1 inch crack on the window. Was hoping it was just a good deal.

:sigh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
With 700$, you might be able to get an OEM hardtop for that money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Spend the money and get an OEM hardtop with a defroster. You'll need the defroster during the winter.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get one with the headliner, too.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Phone posted:

With 700$, you might be able to get an OEM hardtop for that money.

If you can prove me wrong I'd be very happy, but I have yet to find an OEM Hard top below $800 in the six months I've been looking. :argh: spec miata :argh:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Gear Head posted:

If you can prove me wrong I'd be very happy, but I have yet to find an OEM Hard top below $800 in the six months I've been looking. :argh: spec miata :argh:

$800 would be a loving steal for an OEM hard top that isn't beat up. Although for Spec-Miata you probably don't care about paint condition. It seems nigh impossible to find an OEM hardtop in good condition for under $1000. And god forbid you've got a car that isn't Red or Black.

I've been casually looking for a hard top for my 95M in matching Merlot Mica. I've only ever seen a few for sale, and they were on the other side of the country, and the sellers were asking nearly $1500. It's no mystery why I don't have a hardtop for my Miata yet.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hard color to match. At least my car is really close to BRG.

BRG Hardtop on a Marina Mica car.

Phone posted:

Get one with the headliner, too.

Does it make that much of a difference? Mine has one but my friends does not. Apart from the better looking foam I can't really see that many noticeable benefits. Does it stay that much warmer? And drive that much quieter? Or is it simply because of the defroster at the back?

For the record mine has the headliner and no rear defrost. The PO cheaped out when replacing the rear glass. And to be honest even that isn't an issue. The cabin is so small that I can point the middle vents at the rear window and have them defrost it in nearly the same amount of time. (As long as they are shooting warm air)

EDIT: I bought mine for 700CDN one year ago when the loony was weak. It is BRG and has some tiny chips.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 5, 2007

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM
I've got an OEM hardtop, no headliner, no rear defrost. It takes maybe ten minutes to totally defrost the rear window with the front vents on defrost. The car may be noisy without a headliner, but honestly, it's a cheap, light-ish convertible. If you truly think you need a quiet cockpit there's a sea of Chrysler Sebrings out there for you.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Schwack posted:

For the same price you can buy my Silver 99' .

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

But that means I probably have to drive some ungodly distance. Plus, I really want an NA.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

In what state? PM please.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

vex posted:

If you truly think you need a quiet cockpit there's a sea of Chrysler Sebrings out there for you.

Funny thing about that, at least before our NB top developed holes - I've had the displeasure of riding in a Sebring a few times and top up, the Miata is quieter. The Sebring I constantly was turning my head to see if there was a car next to us making all that noise - just the wind.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Guinness posted:

I've been casually looking for a hard top for my 95M in matching Merlot Mica. I've only ever seen a few for sale, and they were on the other side of the country, and the sellers were asking nearly $1500. It's no mystery why I don't have a hardtop for my Miata yet.

Good luck with that, you have a better chance of seeing God. When I was selling my 95 M, I got more more people trying to buy the hardtop than wanting to buy the car. I might have sold it separately if the car didn't sell, but the car went pretty quick.

My advice to you is if you really want a hardtop just get the cheapest OEM top you can get, like a scratched/dinged up one and just have it painted. Most good body shops can match the paint no problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How much does the rubber gasket for the window cost, though? I want to say it's like 100 dollars, so if you get it painted properly, it'll be a bit expensive, but you'll have a nice looking hardtop.

:swoon: Hardtops

edit- The MX-5 Cup is on SPEED this month.

Times are in EST

code:
Houston			Wed, Dec 5 2:00PM	
Atlanta			Wed, Dec 5 2:30PM	
Laguna Seca		Sat, Dec 8 2:00PM	new
Portland		Sat, Dec 8 2:30PM	new
Laguna Seca		Mon, Dec 10 4:00AM	
Portland		Mon, Dec 10 4:30AM	
Laguna Seca		Wed, Dec 12 2:00PM	
Portland		Wed, Dec 12 2:30PM	
Cleveland		Sat, Dec 15 2:00PM	new
Cleveland		Sat, Dec 15 2:30PM	new
Cleveland		Mon, Dec 17 4:00AM	
Cleveland		Mon, Dec 17 4:30AM	
Cleveland		Wed, Dec 19 2:00PM	
Cleveland		Wed, Dec 19 2:30PM	
Quebec			Sat, Dec 22 4:00PM	new
Utah			Sat, Dec 22 4:30PM	new

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 5, 2007

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Here is one good reason to get a hardtop (5th St. offramp, Minneapolis)

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Schwack posted:

There sure is a lot of dick talk in this here Miata thread. Go figure.

Hopefully this works out, Im tired of driving my moms base model 91. Its tough as hell to defog all the windows without AC.

Haha, I just bought one for 20€ because I think it looks good. Well, also I need to transport some bigger stuff from time to time.
My luggage rack btw. is just fastened on the sides with some kind of mounting brackets. No damage at all, you can just unfasten it and take it off.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

vex posted:

I've got an OEM hardtop, no headliner, no rear defrost. It takes maybe ten minutes to totally defrost the rear window with the front vents on defrost. The car may be noisy without a headliner, but honestly, it's a cheap, light-ish convertible. If you truly think you need a quiet cockpit there's a sea of Chrysler Sebrings out there for you.

Hey Vex, do you still want my roll bar? I shot you an email, but maybe it didn't go through or something.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Will 14" steelies from a 1999 Miata fit a 2002 LS miata? Shopping for winter tires/wheels and need to know before I shell out D:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Walked posted:

Will 14" steelies from a 1999 Miata fit a 2002 LS miata? Shopping for winter tires/wheels and need to know before I shell out D:
Your brakes won't clear them (assuming you have the sport brakes).

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Does anyone in the greater San Jose area have a hardtop that I can test fit? I'm really looking into buying one, but I have a rollbar I can't identify. I'm worried about plunking down the $1000 plus and having it not fit.

Bonus pic for possible identification of rollbar:

brosef deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 7, 2007

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I swear my stock CD player needs warming up lately. When I first hop in the car, it skips and has a scratchy background, but after a few minutes of driving it clears up. It's not all that cold here lately in Georgia (40s at night, 60s by day), but I'm starting to wonder. Is this a known problem?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hagetaka posted:

I swear my stock CD player needs warming up lately. When I first hop in the car, it skips and has a scratchy background, but after a few minutes of driving it clears up. It's not all that cold here lately in Georgia (40s at night, 60s by day), but I'm starting to wonder. Is this a known problem?

Is it the in dash changer? It could be on it's way out. You'll know when you can't take any CD's out of it :v: the Mazda factory stereos are really crap, when I worked at Mazda, we were constantly exchanging/refurbishing stock stereos, and the changers were the worst. I could never believe why people would want another stock stereo after having it replaced more than once out of their own pocket. Buy a drat Pioneer deck at half the price and it will sound ten times better to boot. But some people are funny when it comes to OEM equipment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Oh it'll be replaced eventually; I'm just waiting for a decent head unit with a USB input that isn't a DVD player and isn't so big that the installation monkeys at Best Buy will have to cut the wood trim around it

Also money

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

The Panasonic CQ-TX5500D is the only appropriate response.. for $900 :cry:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hagetaka posted:

Oh it'll be replaced eventually; I'm just waiting for a decent head unit with a USB input that isn't a DVD player and isn't so big that the installation monkeys at Best Buy will have to cut the wood trim around it

Also money

This one ain't bad for $400. You can store up to 13 CD's worth of mp3's in it and it has an SD card slot.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

destructo posted:

The Panasonic CQ-TX5500D is the only appropriate response.. for $900 :cry:

Yeah, that vacuum tube is going to have to be replaced constantly.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, that vacuum tube is going to have to be replaced constantly.

I think that's just for show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Amir posted:

I think that's just for show

Ahh, so it's "Valvestate."