Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

demolition rickshaw posted:

Speaking of, I wish I could find BOTAR's song It All Goes Numb. Anybody here heard it?

What album was that on? I'm assuming it's on some sampler or demo or something of the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

seventeen posted:

What album was that on? I'm assuming it's on some sampler or demo or something of the like

:ssh: it's actually the exact same song as "Everything Went Numb" from Streetlight, it was probably released online as a BOTAR song in one of the first demos then taken down after he did it with Streetlight. I remember downloading all of the BOTAR stuff but I can't find it now.

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

All I've got is this zip gun.
Benny Versus The Beast is a cool band I just got done recording a demo for. Awesome style and great lyrics.

Detonate and The Fad are a couple lesser known bands that are really touring their asses off, both of which are superb.

Designated Johnny was a band I played drums from 02-03 in when I was in high school, they carried on for a couple years after I quit.

Made In China was another band I used to see all the time in high school.

And as far as what I have to say about ska:
-Buck O Nine "Songs In The Key Of Bree" is what 3rd wave ska is all about
-Post Keasbey Catch 22 is the best, and Streetlight Manifesto is way overrated, though I don't hate them
-Big D Gypsy Hill EP is loving gold
-Voodoo Glow Skulls is hands down the best ska band I've ever seen live

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

So let me ask this to all the goons:

How many of you went to the Shout it Outloud tour with RBF, Less Than Jake, Streetlight, and Against All Authority?

Bonus points if you were at the STL show!

Let me say this, that show was amazing and it convinced a few of my friends that ska is no longer a dead genre if there are still shows like this in the world.

I went to the show in New Hampshire. It was awesome.

Mike_V posted:

I was gonna go but then realized I didn't want to pay $25 or whatever to see AAA play for 20 minutes and then leave.

Why would you leave after the worst band played? :confused: I showed up 15 minutes late, and from the 5 minutes I saw of AAA, I'm glad I did. They just sounded awful.

TLG James posted:

Has anyone listened to the new Bosstone's Album? I'll be picking this one up when it comes out. I love it so far.

You must tell me where you got it. I've had it preordered (from Newbury comics where your cd gets signed by Dicky Barrett :dance: ) since the day they allowed me to.

Anyone else got tickets to any of the Bosstones shows? I managed to grab a pair for the New Years Eve show at Lupos.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Anyone else got tickets to any of the Bosstones shows? I managed to grab a pair for the New Years Eve show at Lupos.

I got tickets for NYE the minute they came out. This is gonna be the show of the year(s).

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Why would you leave after the worst band played? :confused: I showed up 15 minutes late, and from the 5 minutes I saw of AAA, I'm glad I did. They just sounded awful.

AAA is the only band in that line up I think I'd pay money to see. Their new stuff isn't great but their old material is some of the only ska stuff I still listen to.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

You like AAA and VGS but not SM?

That's peculiar.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

I got tickets for NYE the minute they came out. This is gonna be the show of the year(s).

I just checked the Bosstones myspace page and they are set to play with Zox (who?) and The Street Dogs that night. Might Joe Sirois play in two bands that night? If so, that'll be a long loving night for a drummer.

I'm also going to see The Street Dogs on December 21st. So getting to see them again so soon makes me happy.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Reminds me of when the Rx Bandits came to Colgate University my freshman year, about four years ago. The other bands didn't show up because of a snow storm, so they played for three hours to cover the whole time. The whole band looked dead after the show, but I'm honestly surprised the drummer was actually alive.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I just checked the Bosstones myspace page and they are set to play with Zox (who?) and The Street Dogs that night. Might Joe Sirois play in two bands that night? If so, that'll be a long loving night for a drummer.

I'm also going to see The Street Dogs on December 21st. So getting to see them again so soon makes me happy.

The only thing I know about Zox is that they have electric violin in the band. I've heard of the band, but I'm hard pressed to find any Zox fans. I was pretty surprised to see their name attached to the Bosstones show. No shots against them or anything but I was kind of expecting something bigger. The Street Dogs should be pretty fun though.

For me, this is going to be the NYE to be topped for a long time. Can't wait.

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

You like AAA and VGS but not SM?

That's peculiar.

I don't hate Streetlight, their new album is pretty solid. I just think they're incredibly overrated and their songs are way too loving long for my taste. After about 5 hearings I just can't stand to listen to their records anymore.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I went to the show in New Hampshire. It was awesome.

You must tell me where you got it. I've had it preordered (from Newbury comics where your cd gets signed by Dicky Barrett :dance: ) since the day they allowed me to.

I pretty much despise 3rd wave (4th wave if you ask me since I consider bands like the Toasters 3rd wave). I hate RBF and LTJ, and am indifferent about SM. AAA bring the punk sound to be quite honest and I classify them as a punk band, not ska.

But I won't bring this thread down with my hate.

Now, I just need the Dogs to come back to St. Louis, it's been like 6 months since I've last seen them and I'm going through withdrawal.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lessthankyle posted:

it is my birthday too! I got my tickets like the second the website updated.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
Short on Ideas AND One Last Cigarette (never will they be considered two seperate songs) by Less Than Jake is in my opinion the best ska punk song ever. It's as epic as the genre can get. I suggest any self-respecting ska fan to listen to it on Pezcore if they haven't already had the luxery to do so already. :)

This summer they played a night per album in London. I really wanted to goto this gig. Obviously the album version sounds a lot better but this is one of the better bootleg live recordings I've heard.
YouTube

SpeedoJoe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 25, 2007

Lame Bryant
Jun 1, 2006

blah blah blah

Joseph posted:

Short on Ideas AND One Last Cigarette (never will they be considered two seperate songs) by Less Than Jake is in my opinion the best ska punk song ever. It's as epic as the genre can get. I suggest any self-respecting ska fan to listen to it on Pezcore if they haven't already had the luxery to do so already. :)

This summer they played a night per album in London. I really wanted to goto this gig. Obviously the album version sounds a lot better but this is one of the better bootleg live recordings I've heard.
YouTube

Best Less Than Jake song, hands down. All of Pezcore was amazing, and Losing Streak was just as good. In my opinion, things started looking ugly by the time Borders and Boundaries came around.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I love One Last Cigarette. I have about 20 favorite LTJ songs though, I like 99% of their entire discography.

I really wanted to see Pezcore played in its entirety, but I ended up with Anthem and Borders and Boundaries. I wasn't disappointed at all. Still the 2 best shows I've ever been to.

Edit: after watching that video, I really hope they do the Florida Friends tour again. Chris said they wanted to do it annually.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 26, 2007

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

schmitty9800 posted:

:ssh: it's actually the exact same song as "Everything Went Numb" from Streetlight, it was probably released online as a BOTAR song in one of the first demos then taken down after he did it with Streetlight. I remember downloading all of the BOTAR stuff but I can't find it now.

To my knowledge there's only 5 BOTAR songs. Here's to Life is the one that is also done by Streetlight, though I don't remember if it's a streetlight cover or BOTAR cover. Either way, i'm not sure they ever did Everything Goes Numb

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

There's 5 RELEASED BotAR songs. They have played at least 2 unreleased parts live of new songs. And BotAR predates SM.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Hey, so I just posted my skapunk band's new CD for free in GBS, so I'll crosspost it here too!

Download Legitimate Business - If You Can't Take The Heat...

Anyway we're growing fairly big in the Jersey scene so if you've been to any of the recent non-starland shows (Catch 22, Voodoo Glow Skulls/Mustard Plug, Mustard Plug/BTMI/Westbound Train, or any ASOB, BTMI!, or IV4K show) you've probably seen us there. I also go by sneve... you skachilles dorks.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I really wanted to see Pezcore played in its entirety, but I ended up with Anthem and Borders and Boundaries. I wasn't disappointed at all. Still the 2 best shows I've ever been to.

I went to the last night of their UK In With the Out Crowd tour at the Nottingham Arena. It was pretty good but I wish they'd do a new, less pop-tastic album like Pezcore.

Mind you, The Science of Selling Yourself Short from Anthem is awesome too. I wouldn't complain at all if they did a whole album of melo tracks. In fact that would be pretty fresh.

SpeedoJoe fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 26, 2007

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Bangarang posted:

also; Taj Motel Trio is an awesome band, i've seen these guys live several times.

I'm the bassist for Taj :) I've only been playing with them for about a year though. If anybody ever comes to one of our shows come say hello to me, I'll hook you up with some buttons or stickers or some crap. Also our new album Part of the Problem came out last week, you can find links to order it through our myspace page. We've only got an album sampler and one full song from the new album up (Another Drink), but we should have some more full songs up soon. I know I'm biased but it is really awesome, and you all should buy it cause we're loving broke!

We're going to be touring as much as we can to promote the record so hopefully we'll come to a town near you, I know we're heading down to New Orleans/Mississippi/maybe Alabama in January and Knoxville in February and we're in the planning stages of a trip out to California and back during me and our sax players spring break which is sometime in March I think. Keep an eye on our myspace (and eventually our actual website) for shows, and if you want us to come to your town and can help us set up a show just shoot us a message.

Also I can't loving wait for the Bosstones to do a full tour so I can see them, it's been way too long. Anybody that goes to the shows this week needs to let us know what the lineup is like, I'll be curious as to who's playing with them now.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 26, 2007

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.

Josh Wow posted:

Also our new album Part of the Problem came out last week, you can find links to order it through our myspace page. We've only got an album sampler and one full song from the new album up (Another Drink), but we should have some more full songs up soon. I know I'm biased but it is really awesome, and you all should buy it cause we're loving broke!

You guys need to get that album up on iTunes, I just found your stuff and I want the new album instantly!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Adinsxyz posted:

You guys need to get that album up on iTunes, I just found your stuff and I want the new album instantly!

We're working on it, I'll try and remember to let you know when we get it up.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Why is it that a lot of people who say they're ska fans only like First Wave or Two-tone and completely hate on Third-Wave? I mean I don't particularly like First Wave or Two-Tone but I like to listen to them some times. Hell the only reason I got into ska is because I played a game called "Aggressive Inline" almost 24/7 and always wanted to dance when "Sell Out" came on. Also I love "Wrong Way" and even though the song isn't very ska-ish, the band (Sublime) is.

I guess I got a bit off-post there. But anyway, can someone answer that question for me?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

Why is it that a lot of people who say they're ska fans only like First Wave or Two-tone and completely hate on Third-Wave?

Maybe it's because they don't like punk and most 3rd wave contains a lot of punk rock elements. I mean if I didn't like punk I wouldn't like a vast majority of 3rd wave bands.

Also if you're talking about people who are elitist about it and are like 'well REAL SKA is blah blah blah not just punk with a trumpet blah blah' well they just have a stick up their rear end.

Shoes
Dec 19, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Also I can't loving wait for the Bosstones to do a full tour so I can see them, it's been way too long. Anybody that goes to the shows this week needs to let us know what the lineup is like, I'll be curious as to who's playing with them now.

I have tickets for tomorrow and Wednesday night. I honestly can't express how excited I am. My only regret is not being fast enough online to grab all five nights (That and that Big D plays the all ages night. I haven't seen them since moving away from Boston two years ago). I'll definitely let you all know how things go.

Not sure if you want the band lineup or the show lineup:

The Middle East website has the lineup for all five nights (https://www.mideastclub.com - click on downstairs). Rumor has it Darkbuster is also playing Thursday, which would really make me the happiest man alive.

The Globe published an article on them sometime this weekend that also listed members. I think it's the same bunch of guys it was when they "went on hiatus".

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

Shoes posted:

I have tickets for tomorrow and Wednesday night. I honestly can't express how excited I am. My only regret is not being fast enough online to grab all five nights (That and that Big D plays the all ages night. I haven't seen them since moving away from Boston two years ago). I'll definitely let you all know how things go.

Don't worry about missing Big D, the quality of their shows has decreased A LOT in the past few years. They're really only worth seeing if they are headlining.

Edit: have a great time at the show, though! I was never a huge fan of the bosstones, so I didn't want to deprive any actual fans of tickets to their show. I bet it's going to be awesome.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Maybe it's because they don't like punk and most 3rd wave contains a lot of punk rock elements. I mean if I didn't like punk I wouldn't like a vast majority of 3rd wave bands.

Also if you're talking about people who are elitist about it and are like 'well REAL SKA is blah blah blah not just punk with a trumpet blah blah' well they just have a stick up their rear end.

I like some third wave, but for the most part I'm not a big fan of it. I don't really consider it ska, but I don't dislike it for that(and try not to have a stick up my rear end about it).
I've got no problem with punk whatsoever, its basically my favorite genre, but for some reason I never got into the third wave sound, really. The best combination of ska and punk, in my opinion, is 2-Tone stuff, which incorporated elements of early British punk in with trad ska/skinhead reggae.

Plus, I think a lot of trad ska/2-Tone fans are biased against third wave cause get tired of mentioning that we like ska and having people start talking about how much they love it too, but not realizing that ska goes farther back than the late 80s :smith:

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
I saw this thread a couple of weeks ago, but didn't read it; I only saw the title.

Then I forgot about it for like a week, but when I remembered, I couldn't find, and I swore it must've been a dream.

I'm so glad that this isn't a dream :dance:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Josh Wow posted:

We're working on it, I'll try and remember to let you know when we get it up.

I just checked out your Myspace and after those listens I bought Life of the Party

So yeah, I'm pretty much sold on you guys. I'm also looking forward to when you get the new album up on iTunes!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Thornes posted:

I just checked out your Myspace and after those listens I bought Life of the Party

So yeah, I'm pretty much sold on you guys. I'm also looking forward to when you get the new album up on iTunes!

Awesome! I'm assuming you bought Life of the Party on Itunes, and if you didn't it may be a bit of a wait cause last show we played we had I think 4 copies left of it so we have to reorder. I hope you enjoy it and don't have to wait forever to get it.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I'm the bassist for Taj :)

Very cool.

mix.lunar posted:

Why is it that a lot of people who say they're ska fans only like First Wave or Two-tone and completely hate on Third-Wave?

I don't know. I love 3rd wave and most 1st wave, but I hate nearly all two-tone.

mrfancycrackers
Nov 17, 2007

by Ozma

mix.lunar posted:

Because third-wave is what the majority of people consider ska, as that is what broke into the mainstream in the most visible way. So the best way to be elitist is to go against the grain against popular opinion. Same with emo.

RITES OF SPRING IS EMO YOU GUYS NOT MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE!!!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hedgecore posted:

Hey, so I just posted my skapunk band's new CD for free in GBS, so I'll crosspost it here too!

Download Legitimate Business - If You Can't Take The Heat...

Anyway we're growing fairly big in the Jersey scene so if you've been to any of the recent non-starland shows (Catch 22, Voodoo Glow Skulls/Mustard Plug, Mustard Plug/BTMI/Westbound Train, or any ASOB, BTMI!, or IV4K show) you've probably seen us there. I also go by sneve... you skachilles dorks.

That album is pretty badass!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

mrfancycrackers posted:

Because third-wave is what the majority of people consider ska, as that is what broke into the mainstream in the most visible way. So the best way to be elitist is to go against the grain against popular opinion. Same with emo.

Your latter example is awful because it is a very legitimate complaint. People get angry because of what WM said and I have to avoid saying I like ska most of the time because people think I'm talking about goofy 3rd wave high school bands and laugh, not a very culturally specific style of music from the 60s.

EDIT: This isn't very important, but I've been thinking that we can say that we've moved into 4th wave at this point, with bands like the Toasters, OpIvy, and others in the mid-80s until the early-mid 90s representing 3rd wave. Essentially 3rd wave being from like when the Toasters started up until around the Bosstones.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 27, 2007

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: This isn't very important, but I've been thinking that we can say that we've moved into 4th wave at this point, with bands like the Toasters, OpIvy, and others in the mid-80s until the early-mid 90s representing 3rd wave. Essentially 3rd wave being from like when the Toasters started up until around the Bosstones.

I disagree, because I don't think there's been a significant change in sound to call anything the 4th wave. There's a pretty distinct difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave ska, but Op Ivy doesn't really sound THAT different than Big D. Also the Bosstones formed in the mid to late 80s.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

I disagree, because I don't think there's been a significant change in sound to call anything the 4th wave. There's a pretty distinct difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave ska, but Op Ivy doesn't really sound THAT different than Big D. Also the Bosstones formed in the mid to late 80s.
I agree. It seems to me that there are two ways to measure this, and neither one applies. There hasn't been a significant change in the music to justify the naming of a new subgenre, and what I understand is the origin of the term "third wave," a third surge in popularity, well... ska isn't popular. There hasn't been a fourth surge.

Shoes
Dec 19, 2007
Not to drag you all off track, but the Bosstones are back in a big loving way. They sounded better tonight than they did before the hiatus.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

mrfancycrackers posted:

It has nothing to do with elitism, at least for most people. They're really different enough styles of music that you can't arbitrarily expect someone who is into old school stuff to like the new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Shoes posted:

Not to drag you all off track, but the Bosstones are back in a big loving way. They sounded better tonight than they did before the hiatus.
Yeah, well, that'll be real cool when they play somewhere that isn't in Massachusetts.