Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
How much space do these extra programs take up? I got an 8gb touch for christmas (unopened) but I have enough best buy gift cards that I can make up the difference for a 16gb touch. So I am thinking about returning the 8gb touch and getting a 16gb one.

I don't know if I need the extra 8gb of space. I don't have a ton of music (around 5gb) but I can see there being a ton of cool apps released in the next few months and I want to make sure I have enough space to install stuff (and still have room for music).

Also, how much space is there really on a virgin ipod touch? like, on my old 20gb iPod, there was really only like 18.5gb of usable space.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Omits-Bagels posted:

How much space do these extra programs take up? I got an 8gb touch for christmas (unopened) but I have enough best buy gift cards that I can make up the difference for a 16gb touch. So I am thinking about returning the 8gb touch and getting a 16gb one.

I don't know if I need the extra 8gb of space. I don't have a ton of music (around 5gb) but I can see there being a ton of cool apps released in the next few months and I want to make sure I have enough space to install stuff (and still have room for music).

Also, how much space is there really on a virgin ipod touch? like, on my old 20gb iPod, there was really only like 18.5gb of usable space.

Looking through the installer, most programs dont even go over 100 KB. The various emulators top out at about 500 KB and ROM files for these can vary from 100 KB to 10 MB depending on the game. I have all the emulators on mine, 3 or 4 ROMs plus 5 or 6 other programs and according to iTunes, my "Other" capacity is only 58 MB. The sizes for these programs all seem very negligible.

The "real" size of the 16GB is 14.84 GB.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Big Hock posted:

ROM files for these can vary from 100 KB to 10 MB depending on the game
The Playstation 1 emulator for the Touch seems to be coming along very nicely, so you can expect this to change in the future. You can compress PS1 disc images, but a lot of games will still be 50-100MB I'm sure.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Surly posted:

I don't know if this is technically feasible, but maybe someone knows if it can be done.

I would like to be able to use my AT&T 8525 as a 3G modem for my Touch. If there was a way to connect my Touch via WiFi to my phone and then enable some sort of internet sharing on my phone so that I could use the safari browser, youtube, and all the jailbroken apps when I'm not in a wireless hotspot.

Anyone know if this is possible?
Absolutely so, dear friend! Check out Chainfire's WMWifiRouter (with big ups to my main internet man scarymonkey/TalynOne) for Windows Mobile. Pure sex.

This will let you pass 3G via WiFi to your iPhone, iPod Touch, Nokia N770/N800/N810, laptop, etc. using an HTC Hermes/8525 or HTC Kaiser/Tilt on AT&T -- or perhaps much more noteworthy, using an HTC Titan/Mogul and the $30/month SERO plan.

We need a tiny-rear end phone that has WiFi, 3G, and Windows Mobile. That would make carrying two devices more palatable.

Or, you know -- a 3G phone that isn't a gigantic abortion as an enduser device.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vyze posted:

As long as your iTunes can do a firmware restore on your iPod (assuming your Touch is on 1.1.2 firmware) then it should be fine.

I'm on iTunes 7.5 on Vista, and it worked all fine for me.

Thanks a lot mister Vyze you've potentially saved from from a headache of downgrading. The official touchdev.net wiki sez it doesn't work with 7.5 so I was pretty bummed out.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I got an iPod Touch(8GB) for Christmas. I am at my sister's house and was very antsy to play with the wi-fi, so I plugged it in temporarily to her PC so that it could get going. I noticed in the iTunes store that it shows her account information at the bottom of the page. Will it be a big deal to sync it back with my home machine when I get back to my PC? I realize I probably should have waited but I'm just curious if there will be any frustrations on the way.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Just got my touch for Christmas and I'm loving it so far. No one would happen to have developed an app for listening to Sirius for it yet, would they? That would be absolutely amazing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a 16GB Touch for xmas and loving it! Only issue is, I'm home for the holidays and my house doesn't have wireless. Can I still jailbreak and get some applications going without it? Like, can I use the PC cable to mooch of my PCs internet? If not, I'll have to wait to go back to school before I jailbreak.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm thinking about buying a touch and I was wondering about the jailbreak thing vs. apples own SDK. Is that SDK just around the corner or what is the deal with it? Does anyone have a good comparison about what the SDK will support and allow users to do with their touchs? I'm kinda iffy about the whole jailbreak thing anywho. I know i'll be buying the warranty from best buy assuming I get it from there, which I likely will and I don't want to kill that warranty because they are expensive.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 25, 2007

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Cowboy Kyle posted:

I'm thinking about buying a touch and I was wondering about the jailbreak thing vs. apples own SDK. Is that SDK just around the corner or what is the deal with it? Does anyone have a good comparison about what the SDK will support and allow users to do with their touchs? I'm kinda iffy about the whole jailbreak thing anywho. I know i'll be buying the warranty from best buy assuming I get it from there, which I likely will and I don't want to kill that warranty because they are expensive.

You have no idea how easy it is to jailbreak, and how easy it is the reverse it. There has also been not a single confirmed case of bricking a Touch either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CanuckBassist posted:

You have no idea how easy it is to jailbreak, and how easy it is the reverse it. There has also been not a single confirmed case of bricking a Touch either.

That makes me feel a lot better. I'm still researching it, so I really should have waited until I had some real questions. Thanks!

Where are you guys getting your 3rd party apps? I checked the OP and didn't see anything.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Cowboy Kyle posted:

That makes me feel a lot better. I'm still researching it, so I really should have waited until I had some real questions. Thanks!

Where are you guys getting your 3rd party apps? I checked the OP and didn't see anything.
The installer which is pre-installed whenever you perform most versions of jailbreak) has a few sources already included for downloading applications. It'll all make sense when you use it.

ProvostZak
Dec 31, 2000

it's a huge step
I asked a page back about jailbreaking, and I was really nervous about it since I heard rumours about iPhone's being 'bricked' etc. Let me just repeat the excellent advice I received: GO FOR IT.

Jailbreaking is incredibly easy now with Installer.app since everything can be done without a single command line having to be typed. The only problem I had (literally, absolutely everything else was painless and involved simple GUIs - it's like installing a game on your PC and then downloading a patch and installing that, really) was I couldn't figure out exactly how to get my iPod Touch to reboot into 'Recovery Mode'. But that was because I didn't read these instructions properly and the only result was 15min wasted turning it on and off :)

For anyone who wants a nice easy time of it, without ever having to type a single command or know the tiniest thing about unix or filesystems, try this:

Follow these instructions carefuly and slowly (they're not hard or anything, just do it one piece at a time so you don't forget some step or sub-step) but STOP after completing step 5 (oh, and when you get to Step 5 and you see a tickbox to install OpenSHH, tick it). They have a really complicated section on how to install iPhone apps - ignore it. Instead just load up your iTouch and click Installer. Then, in the System folder, install BSD Subsystem and Installer. Let it do its thing and follow the directions. Now, go to Sources and add http://repo.us.to to the list. Now you will have access to a folder called iPhone 1.1.2 Apps for iTouch. Install whatever ones you want (and which goddamn well shoulda come with the Touch - wtf Apple?!). Be sure to install the Mail and Maps 'Prep' files first if you want those two apps (and you do).

Okay, your Touch is now actually an iPhone without a phone, as it should be! Now just browse the various folders and install stuff you like. I recommend Stumbler, Summmerboard, Customize and Apollo IM client. If you can't find the folder containing these, just select All and you can find it by its name.

Okay, so if that seems hard - it isn't. This is really as easy and painless as installing, say, 2 computer games in a row and then patching one of them - it's basically just a bit slow and involves clicking 'Next' or 'Okay' or selecting obvious options - and a lot of waiting for stuff to install or download.

Do it! :) Don't be scared! Your iTouch is a sad little device without it! It wants to be free!

ProvostZak fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 26, 2007

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and chances are I'll be walking away with a touch. :iamafag:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I just got an touch for Christmas, and I seem to be having display issues on my iPod touch. The video displays most whites as a bright red/purple, and the part of the screen that should be on the very right is on the far left. Any tips, or should it be returned?

I'm in the middle of upgrading to 1.1.2

edit: reset settings, and that fixed it

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 25, 2007

OuchMyFoot
Jul 14, 2001

Land of Ooouchmyfoot
Well I just about had a mini-heart attack when I messed the instructions ProvostZak just linked to when I was upgrading to 1.1.2 and iTunes gave me an error when I tried to restore.

I had the iPhone apps installed on 1.1.1 but they were stalling once it was launched, which might have been because I couldn't find a recursive option in Fugu (am I missing something?) when I was fixing the permissions.

Thankfully I got it working by plugging into a different USB port, but for a second there I thought I was going to be the first person to brick their iPod touch!

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly

kalibar posted:

Absolutely so, dear friend! Check out Chainfire's WMWifiRouter (with big ups to my main internet man scarymonkey/TalynOne) for Windows Mobile. Pure sex.

This will let you pass 3G via WiFi to your iPhone, iPod Touch, Nokia N770/N800/N810, laptop, etc. using an HTC Hermes/8525 or HTC Kaiser/Tilt on AT&T -- or perhaps much more noteworthy, using an HTC Titan/Mogul and the $30/month SERO plan.

We need a tiny-rear end phone that has WiFi, 3G, and Windows Mobile. That would make carrying two devices more palatable.

Or, you know -- a 3G phone that isn't a gigantic abortion as an enduser device.
I... I love you.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Cowboy Kyle posted:

I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and chances are I'll be walking away with a touch. :iamafag:

If you're in Canada, I hope you survive Boxing Day at Best Buy.

PimPopeMobile
Dec 20, 2003
I've had a 16gb iPod Touch for a little over a week now and on the day of purchasing, I very nearly jailbroke it in the Apple store because I was so excited to open it up to a trillion possibilities. I really like it and it's helped me become a neater, more organized person with my photos and music.

I've been reading a lot of forums about it and have found some good information that I thought I'd share with all of you. To get almost every application that has been developed for the iTouch so far available at your fingertips (not all of them, but most, and not including the iphone apps) follow these instructions, pulled from ipodtouchfans.com forum:

Go to Installer, push Sources, then Edit, then Add, then type in ride4.org/shai.xml, then Done, then Refresh, then push Install on the bottom, then go to All Packages, find "All Sources" and install it. Now all available apps will show up! Your selection is now maximized.

As a sidenote, your "Refreshing Sources" wait will be increased to about 45 seconds to a minute. It's kind of a bummer, but once you've installed everything you want, there's really no need to go back into Installer until another cool thing has been released.

A few nifty applications that I found on that list and liked a lot were VNsea and Simplify. Simplify basically works by connecting to your home music library giving you the ability to stream music to your iPod without having to carry around every song physically. I have an iTunes library of about 12,000 songs, so I had to reduce the library size significantly to put the "creme de la creme" of my music on there for my car, etc. VNsea is pretty cool because it's a remote VNC client that allows you to control your computer from your iPod Touch, which is a pretty handy thing if you're in class or elsewhere, and need to access a file that's stored on your computer and email it to yourself.

In response to the question about "good ipod docks", whether buying the apple brand one is worth it, etc... It is. I had an old school dock (not the universal one) that didn't work with my last ipod, so I cheaped out and bought a lovely Chinese knockoff one. It works as a charger just fine, but to play music from that dock is a horrendous experience, and the lack of craftsmanship is very, very noticeable. So, my recommendation, from personal experience with those other, cheaper docks: you get what you pay for. The Apple brand docks are high quality.

And a few questions of my own: Has anyone bought this "ipod nano remote control" thing? http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=84
Does it work? Does it respond well? Is the cable for it crazy long? Any other recommendations for a controller of some sort?

Also, I have a mac and am having trouble SSHing into the iPod. I installed SSH with the 1.1.2 update, and got OpenSSH (what does it do?) and I don't know where to go from there. I've tried going into the Terminal and typing: ssh root@[my-ip], and nothing happens. I had found a way around it for a week while I got acquainted with the Touch, using something called iPhone Drive (as a demo), but the demo expired today, and the only other way to get things on there is by uploading them to this site, and then downloading them again on the ipod touch. It's not a HUGE hassle, but I'd prefer for it to be a one step process.

PimPopeMobile fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 26, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have a strange crash and freeze bug with both Apollo and MobileIM. After a few minutes of use both will become unresponsive and the touch refuses to respond to the power off button and the home button as well. Is there anyway I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I recently got a iTouch (USB), as in yesterday for christmas.

Has anyone been having any issues with the new version of iTunes not opening in XP Professional? :rubshands:

While it might be a program conflict, it doesn't make sense since the previous version I had (that I used for a 3G model(firewire)) worked flawlessly.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

1karus posted:

Has anyone been having any issues with the new version of iTunes not opening in XP Professional? :rubshands:

Can't say that I have had any issues at all. I have my touch connected to both my work laptop and my home computer and it's running beautifully. Each is running xp sp2 with the latest iTunes.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar

1karus posted:

I recently got a iTouch (USB), as in yesterday for christmas.

I had a problem when I used apples updater to update from an old version of iTunes to the new one.

I resolved it by completely un-installing it and re-installing it from the .exe I got from the site.

Fink
Dec 15, 2003
Woohan Society

ProvostZak posted:

...JAILBREAKING...

Let me just repeat the excellent advice I recieved: GO FOR IT.

Do it! :) Don't be scared! Your iTouch is a sad little device without it! It wants to be free!

Listen to this advice and follow his instructions.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

I have a strange crash and freeze bug with both Apollo and MobileIM. After a few minutes of use both will become unresponsive and the touch refuses to respond to the power off button and the home button as well. Is there anyway I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

Try holding the home button, that forces the program to close completely, not simply minimizing when you press the home button once.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CanuckBassist posted:

Try holding the home button, that forces the program to close completely, not simply minimizing when you press the home button once.
I've tried doing that but it still will not respond.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh
So I did the jailbreak and now I'm a little lost. I have a bunch of programs installed and running right. But when caught my attention was the last program I installed it said, getting low on memory. After hitting dismiss everything works great and no problems. Just curious if anyone else has gotten this. I looked at iTunes and it shows 31.8 mb of "Other" and 7.24 gb of "free space". Are apps only dedicated a certain amount of space? Is there a way to uninstall a program that I've installed just in case?

PimPopeMobile
Dec 20, 2003

shoafer0 posted:

So I did the jailbreak and now I'm a little lost. I have a bunch of programs installed and running right. But when caught my attention was the last program I installed it said, getting low on memory. After hitting dismiss everything works great and no problems. Just curious if anyone else has gotten this. I looked at iTunes and it shows 31.8 mb of "Other" and 7.24 gb of "free space". Are apps only dedicated a certain amount of space? Is there a way to uninstall a program that I've installed just in case?

I got that same error a couple of times, and I currently have 35 progeams on my Touch. Its just one of those things. Also, to uninstall anything, to back to the Installer and click the bottom button that says Uninstall and it gives you a list of the progeams you've installed.

brrrger
Feb 4, 2006
Is there any way I could connect my iPod Touch to an LCD computer monitor (without a computer)?

OuchMyFoot
Jul 14, 2001

Land of Ooouchmyfoot
If the LCD had component or composite connectors (or your had any number of converters to VGA or DVI) then the iPod universal dock would work in theory. I haven't tried this myself however.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

shoafer0 posted:

I had this exact same thing too. I checked both on the device and in iTunes and I still have like 7 gigs free as well. I'm chalking it up to just a bug/glitch, not gonna worry about it too much.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This may be a silly question, but will this work with the JBL onstage speakers? Or even the iphone?

*edit - After some searching it seems that it is compatible with the JBL On Stage 3. Which I can't find for sale anywhere in the U.S., but it was supposed to be released last month? At any rate, I'll wait it out. Because it has a remote and can be powered by 6 AA's. Nice!

On a side note. Do you guys think it's best to wait out for a new version of the IPod touch, since it's new?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 27, 2007

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

PimPopeMobile posted:

I got that same error a couple of times, and I currently have 35 progeams on my Touch. Its just one of those things. Also, to uninstall anything, to back to the Installer and click the bottom button that says Uninstall and it gives you a list of the progeams you've installed.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure I don't have that many.

kevdude posted:

I had this exact same thing too. I checked both on the device and in iTunes and I still have like 7 gigs free as well. I'm chalking it up to just a bug/glitch, not gonna worry about it too much.

Yeah I figured it has a limited space for programs or just a glitch. Thanks for the feedback.

Christoff posted:

On a side note. Do you guys think it's best to wait out for a new version of the IPod touch, since it's new?

Honestly it just depends on if you like the look of the current one. I'm so drat happy with mine now that I've jailbroken it that I could care less if a new model came out tomorrow.

shoafer0 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 27, 2007

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So, my brother and I got our mother one of the 8gb touches for Christmas. The problem is that, after playing around with it myself, I am really, really wanting to dump my old 5th generation video for another one. The only thing holding me back right now, though, is the possibility of a new revision being released in the near future with a higher storage capacity (say, 32gb?).

I figure that I really don't need more than the 16gb already out there, since these days I largely just listen to a variety of podcasts and some select albums, but having a larger capacity never hurt anyone. Any ideas on the likelihood of new revision being released in the next few months?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Updated the OP with a better explanation of Installer and Kalibar's 3G via Wifi post.

What else do you guys want added to it?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hillridge posted:

Updated the OP with a better explanation of Installer and Kalibar's 3G via Wifi post.

What else do you guys want added to it?
edit:nvm

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
How exactly do I update to 1.1.2 once I have jailbroken on 1.1.1? I tried but it just deleted all my apps etc... And is there any way to change the background of my home screen instead of the "unlock" screen?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Squirrel007 posted:

How exactly do I update to 1.1.2 once I have jailbroken on 1.1.1? I tried but it just deleted all my apps etc... And is there any way to change the background of my home screen instead of the "unlock" screen?
Back on 1.1.1, you have to get OkToPrep from Installer, and then do something else. It's all detailed here:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_1.1.2

As for changing the background, you need to get Summerboard (or was it Customise?) from Installer. You should get both, anyway.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Vyze posted:

Back on 1.1.1, you have to get OkToPrep from Installer, and then do something else. It's all detailed here:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_1.1.2

As for changing the background, you need to get Summerboard (or was it Customise?) from Installer. You should get both, anyway.

Thanks, I have customizer but I guess ill get summerboard also.

e; Also here is an ipod stand that my brother laser cut for me at his job.

playground tough fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice

Oneiros posted:

I figure that I really don't need more than the 16gb already out there, since these days I largely just listen to a variety of podcasts and some select albums, but having a larger capacity never hurt anyone. Any ideas on the likelihood of new revision being released in the next few months?

I have a 16GB with about 9gb free (and over 1000 songs on it). Honestly, I use my Touch as a super awesome cool and wikked portable device that just happens to play music. For anything requiring a great deal of music - road trips, for example - I also carry my 30gb Zune (that is really quite sexy again with the new updates MS released). Yes, 32GB is more than 16 - but what if they release an 80? That's even bigger, but would you really use it? At what point is it just too damned much?

• Locked thread