Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On the size discussions:

I have roughly 32gb of music on my computer, but I never even listen to half of it, so having roughly 1100 songs on my 16gb Touch is plenty. I have several movies, several TV episodes, a bunch of music videos, and about 10 podcasts on my Touch, along with about 50 applications, and I still have 7gb free. Honestly, I wouldn't give a poo poo if they released a 64gb model next week, 16 is all I need and all I can see myself needing for the foreseeable future.

Now an actual quick question:

Is there an application I can install to take screenshots of my Touch screen? I see shots all over the net, but I can't figure out how to do it :( A quick look through Installer doesn't help me much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

kevdude posted:

Is there an application I can install to take screenshots of my Touch screen? I see shots all over the net, but I can't figure out how to do it :( A quick look through Installer doesn't help me much.

There is. I was browsing the installer "all packages" and saw one. I don't remember what it was called though. Sorry!

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

shoafer0 posted:

There is. I was browsing the installer "all packages" and saw one. I don't remember what it was called though. Sorry!

Im pretty sure its called "screenshot"
I have used it and it is a good app. You have to use FTP to access the pictures though.

E; Is there a way to access my volume control without starting up a song? It seems I have done it before but I don't know how I did.

playground tough fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Squirrel007 posted:

Im pretty sure its called "screenshot"
I have used it and it is a good app. You have to use FTP to access the pictures though.

Durrrrr yes, it is called Screenshot. Just installed it and it works great. Here's a wonderful picture of my jailbroken Touch :)

Squirrel007 posted:

E; Is there a way to access my volume control without starting up a song? It seems I have done it before but I don't know how I did.

"Double click" the home button at any screen :)

ninja edit: I also wanted to mention that Tap Tap Revolution is officially the best game of all time :dance:

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
E; nevermind I figured it out. Ill leave the screenshots up just because they are pretty :D

When I click one of the above...

playground tough fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So where is the best place to buy a 16 gb touch? Amazon has a decent deal as usual. But I bought my original ipod at best buy with the 3 year service plan and used it twice. Worth it? What's the applecare plan like?

I found a good deal here.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ipod/default~family~12.asp

Do get the applecare plan do you have to buy it from apple?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 28, 2007

PimPopeMobile
Dec 20, 2003

Squirrel007 posted:

E; nevermind I figured it out. Ill leave the screenshots up just because they are pretty :D

When I click one of the above...

Do a google search for "gba_bios.bin". It's the background bit that will make the emulator run. Find that file and put it in the GBA.app folder. That should fix your problem.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Christoff posted:

So where is the best place to buy a 16 gb touch? Amazon has a decent deal as usual. But I bought my original ipod at best buy with the 3 year service plan and used it twice. Worth it? What's the applecare plan like?

I found a good deal here.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ipod/default~family~12.asp

Do get the applecare plan do you have to buy it from apple?

I got mine for $250 off a guy on craigslist. There was definitely something shady about him (his post claimed he got it as a present, threw out the box, and didn't have a receipt to return it, but would rather buy an iPhone. Then I saw an almost identical post a week later, only it had the box.), but it was still in the plastic, had never been activated, and had all the accessories (except the cleaning cloth).

I made sure to meet him somewhere rather than have him know where I lived, but it all worked out in the end.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
If anyone here hates the poo poo out of iTunes, or wants to be able to copy their music back and forth between different PCs, the folks at ml_ipod have managed to cobble together a working solution. It's not the cleanest, but it allows you to use Winamp rather than iTunes. Here's what you have to do:

Download and install the latest winamp
Download and install the latest ml_ipod plugin from https://mlipod.sourceforge.net
Download and install the latest development build
Download iPHUC, then unzip the files into the winamp\plugins\mlipod directory
Make sure you have iTunes installed.
Download FWID

Plug in your iTouch and let iTunes run. Close it out, then open Winamp. Your iTouch should detect. After it's detected, run FWID to get the FWID of your iTouch. Put this ID into the box on the advanced tab under the ipod support heading in Winamp. Then close winamp, disconnect your ipod, reopen, and enjoy.

You must eject your iTouch after you're done loading it with music or nothing will show up. After you eject it, you must either hard restart your iTouch, or if you have Summerboard installed, restart Springboard.

This solution works very well, and will get better as the ML iPod guys get closer to a complete answer.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thanks for Videodora and some more advice for my new iPod Touch

PimPopeMobile posted:

I got that same error a couple of times, and I currently have 35 progeams on my Touch. Its just one of those things. Also, to uninstall anything, to back to the Installer and click the bottom button that says Uninstall and it gives you a list of the progeams you've installed.

OuchMyFoot posted:

If the LCD had component or composite connectors (or your had any number of converters to VGA or DVI) then the iPod universal dock would work in theory. I haven't tried this myself however.

And now I can contribute. I am posting from the Apple Store in Peabody, MA and they are doing that right now. They have a an Apple LCD in the iPod Touch area playing some music videos. The Touch is in the universal dock and they have it hooked up through one of the overprice component (i think) sets to an equally overpriced composite to DVI adapter. It works fine, apparently.

Edit the cable actually looks pretty sweet. Dock Connector then out to a three way of Component, Composite, and USB connectors

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 28, 2007

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
My ipod fell out of my pocket while I was helping my mother move poo poo in her garage. I thought I had the loving thing zipped :(... It held up fine except for a scratch and I dont know what I should do. I can live with the small knick in the metal but I cannot stand that scratch! Any ideas on what I should do? Isnt the screen glass? Is there a glass scratch fixer?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I'm probably going to get one of these things but I'm worried about scratches and fingerprints on the screen. The screen seems reasonably scratch resistant but collects fingerprints like crazy, which would drive me crazy. What screen protectors work well and what ones should I avoid? The ones I got for my DS were horrible. I'm currently thinking of getting one of these, anyone had bad experiences with it?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I've seen products on TV that fill scrathes in eyeglasses. I imagine that they would work to at least minimize things but I don't know is Apple screens would have any sort of bad chemical reactions to it. Also there was that iKlear stufff that promised all sorts of benifits with Apple-branded LCD's (including the older iPods), so you may want to investigate that too.

Squirrel007 you may want to see if your warrenty covers that. Ok maybe don't tell them you dropped it. :angel: But seriously if you haven't had the Touch very long they may call it a manufacturing defect "it was prone to damage". If you have Apple Care it may cover it (completely not my forte). If you an extended warentee from some other store try that too. I got the proverbial "hard drive fails for no know reason" fixed and 2 batterys (seperate occaisions) out of Best Buy for hilarious things related to my venerable Mini. My Mini was not a lemon and I dont abuse my stuff it just happened.

I had a enlightening conversation at the Apple store today with an employee about the screens of the Touch (and phone for that matter). Guy at the Apple store bought his iPhone day one and doesn't have a scratch. He always carries it around in a case which is open. He said most cases have no on-screen protector (mine doesn't either and most at the store didn't). Pick a case based on what your comfortable with. My case is a DLO that has a flip over design liek a wallet, so there is some screen protection. It was designed to resist things like keys and coins; anything that will scratch the screen has to be physically harder than the glass. As he said, "And because I carry around pockets full of diamonds all the time, I really have to be carful with that sort of thing." :) (If you can't tell, yes he was joking. This wasn't Steve Jobbs afterall). One of us brought up outdoors stuff and the beach and he warned that sand would be a bad thing for the screen. Ergo don't use your Touch/iPhone on a beach or in a gravel yard.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

I've seen products on TV that fill scrathes in eyeglasses. I imagine that they would work to at least minimize things but I don't know is Apple screens would have any sort of bad chemical reactions to it. Also there was that iKlear stufff that promised all sorts of benifits with Apple-branded LCD's (including the older iPods), so you may want to investigate that too.

Squirrel007 you may want to see if your warrenty covers that. Ok maybe don't tell them you dropped it. :angel: But seriously if you haven't had the Touch very long they may call it a manufacturing defect "it was prone to damage". If you have Apple Care it may cover it (completely not my forte). If you an extended warentee from some other store try that too. I got the proverbial "hard drive fails for no know reason" fixed and 2 batterys (seperate occaisions) out of Best Buy for hilarious things related to my venerable Mini. My Mini was not a lemon and I dont abuse my stuff it just happened.

I had a enlightening conversation at the Apple store today with an employee about the screens of the Touch (and phone for that matter). Guy at the Apple store bought his iPhone day one and doesn't have a scratch. He always carries it around in a case which is open. He said most cases have no on-screen protector (mine doesn't either and most at the store didn't). Pick a case based on what your comfortable with. My case is a DLO that has a flip over design liek a wallet, so there is some screen protection. It was designed to resist things like keys and coins; anything that will scratch the screen has to be physically harder than the glass. As he said, "And because I carry around pockets full of diamonds all the time, I really have to be carful with that sort of thing." :) (If you can't tell, yes he was joking. This wasn't Steve Jobbs afterall). One of us brought up outdoors stuff and the beach and he warned that sand would be a bad thing for the screen. Ergo don't use your Touch/iPhone on a beach or in a gravel yard.

Is there any sort of number I can call? My brother bought it for me at the apple store for my mother(so it could be given to me). And the nearest apple store is an hour away. Surely I can just call a number or something? But what do I tell them?

Thanks for that info, and I have only had it a few days. Best peice of hardware I have ever owned but that scratch is going to annoy the gently caress out of me.

edit; yeah theres a support phone number, I will try to give it a call tomorrow or the next day. And I mean... I can probably live with this but I would love to have it replaced :-\

playground tough fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 29, 2007

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
Has anyone tried the iRadio client? I can get it to load stations, but when I touch it, nothing happens. Also, is there any other recommendations for listening to radio on the touch?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I was actually going to post about the iRadio client today. It's working beautifully for me aside from the fact that the 'player' and 'settings' buttons don't do anything and the volume is a little weird, which are all common complaints from what I can tell.

The station will take a second to tune in and will be completely muted at first. What I do is fire up iRadio, then hit the home button and play an mp3 from the touch, double click the home button and crank the volume then pause the mp3. Then start iRadio and the volume should be ready to adjust with the double click home button adjuster.

Also I'm sure most people (especially shoutcast veterans) know this but, the three columns in iRadio after the station name are Bitrate, Number of users tuned in, and in the last column M = mp3, A = aac

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I recently set up the mail.app and I configured my GMail account. :rubshands:

Can you only have one account installed at a time? I can't seem to delete the current account, or get back to the account setup screen. Do I need to reinstall the .app to delete settings?

Also, what is the point of Summerboard? I put it on another theme, and restarted, but nothing happened?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It may just be that the summerboard theme you put on doesn't change the icons all that much and doesn't come packed with any wallpaper. It may be hard to notice everything change if that's the case.

Try to find the NEONstandard, Aqwoah, or the Litho themes to put on there, you'll see a difference if it's working for sure with those.

John Locke
Aug 31, 2004

Bad things happen to people who hang around with me.

1karus posted:

Can you only have one account installed at a time? I can't seem to delete the current account, or get back to the account setup screen. Do I need to reinstall the .app to delete settings?

You can add accounts if you go to Settings on the main iPod screen. It took me a while to figure it out too :)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

That Ride4.org link is acting screwy. It worked about a minute ago then stopped, then I tried it again and Safari renders the XML as just text. Any alternatives?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

1karus posted:

Also, what is the point of Summerboard? I put it on another theme, and restarted, but nothing happened?

Go into 'settings' and then to mail. You can add/delete accounts there. I have my gmail and yahoo mail on my touch.

[EDIT] Beat

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
The Summerboard themes I mentioned before (my 3 favorite so far) oh and I have wallpaper turned off.

Aqwhoa

Litho

NEONstandard

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a screenshot of my battery charging/slide to unlock screen. The ScreenShot app I have won't do it as far as I can tell.

PimPopeMobile
Dec 20, 2003

Fallon posted:

That Ride4.org link is acting screwy. It worked about a minute ago then stopped, then I tried it again and Safari renders the XML as just text. Any alternatives?

Did you add the comma at the end of ".xml" accidentally? There's no comma. :) Also...it's working fine for me. I just got updates for a few programs from that list of sources it opened up.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Plus you have to be careful when you enter the server address that the touch doesn't automatically 'correct' ride4 to riders. That happened to me the first few times I tried to enter it, you have to hit the little blue 'x' next to the autocomplete.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
The iRadio app is alright. They should add a favorites tab, or maybe even a tab that works.

I enjoyed some prank call radio last night and it was pretty sweet. I heard some good ones so I suggest that station. It is under talk radio and can be found as the last station with 14 as the 2nd number.

playground tough fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 30, 2007

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Please do and call apple. It's your right to try it. Good luck

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
I got my touch for christmas and i love it, but i think theres something wrong with the accelerometers, they seemed to get stuck or be non responsive the other day, but then when i picked it up again awhile later it was fine, now they are stuck again but it thinks it is on its side even when i shake it around. I dunno if its a hardware problem or software bugging out but its getting quite annoying when i go into safari or to look through music. Anyone else had this issue?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I got one yesterday and I love it. There's far more 3rd party aps then I thought there would be, though I'm a bit disappointed in how well some of them work (few of the ones I've tried have a horizontal mode). Still all the iphone aps like maps, weather, and mail are great and hopefully I can find an IRC client I like.

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'd like some reading material, how would I put a simple .txt file on it and display it?

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

Please do and call apple. It's your right to try it. Good luck

If this was directed towards me I think I am going to try and call tuesday.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Yes it was, Squirrel.

Anyhow, video-related questions. Is there really a difference betweenn MPEG 4 and H.264? Do they look basically identical at the same bitrate or is there an advantage of one over the other? DOes one tend to produce smaller files than the other at the same quality?

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
I got a few new dvds for christmas and i'd like to know is there a good/free DVD ripper that I can use with vidora? DVD Decripter doesn't play nice with Vista. Also, if this is to :filez: I'll delete this.

Y2JMatrix94 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 31, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Y2JMatrix94 posted:

I got a few new dvds for christmas and i'd like to know is there a good/free DVD ripper that I can use with vidora? DVD Decripter doesn't play nice with Vista. Also, if this is to :filez: I'll delete this.
No it's perfectly within your rights to copy DVDs to whatever format you want, but it's also a violation of the DMCA which is pretty goofy. Personally I use DVD Shrink to put a copy of the movie onto my hard drive and Nero Recode to convert it to an iPod friendly format. Recode is hands down the fastest mp4 encoder ever built and there's a virtually 100% speed boost when you're on a dual core proc. It's the only multithreaded iPod encoder on the market I believe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Peasant Revolt posted:

I got one yesterday and I love it. There's far more 3rd party aps then I thought there would be, though I'm a bit disappointed in how well some of them work (few of the ones I've tried have a horizontal mode). Still all the iphone aps like maps, weather, and mail are great and hopefully I can find an IRC client I like.

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'd like some reading material, how would I put a simple .txt file on it and display it?

I use Colloquy for IRC, it works very well. I think there's a program called TextEdit in the installer list that should work well for the txt file purposes :) You may have to use FTP to transfer files to your Touch for reading. If you'd like, I can post instructions on how to do that!

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
this may be a dumb question, does Flash work on the Touch? or is there a flash app on the installer?

PuppyKicker
Jun 10, 2004

stoops posted:

this may be a dumb question, does Flash work on the Touch? or is there a flash app on the installer?

Flash doesn't work, from what I understand. I think it's on the table for Apple to add. It'd make the iPod touch and the iPhone a lot more functional.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Finally got a screenshot of my battery charge/slide to unlock screen

:dance:

I love this thing.

Here's the method I used to get it in case anyone else is intersted:

quote:

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/80236236/screenshot

Next, SFTP to your iPod Touch and place the file into /Applications/.

This tool can only be ran via an SSH to your iPod. So, open an SSH client such as Putty and run a CHMOD to correct the permissions:

chmod -R a+x /Applications/*

Lastly, run the command in SSH:

/Applications/screenshot

Go retrieve the file at the location it specified on your iPod when it executed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Owsla posted:

Where did you get that charge image? I have one that's almost exactly the same, but it says "iPhone Battery Charger" and well, I have a Touch, so I like yours better :unsmith:

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

kevdude posted:

Where did you get that charge image? I have one that's almost exactly the same, but it says "iPhone Battery Charger" and well, I have a Touch, so I like yours better :unsmith:

I am pretty sure someone has instructions on the first page of this thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Squirrel007 posted:

I am pretty sure someone has instructions on the first page of this thread.

Awesome, thank you sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I noticed last night that I couldn't reply on the forums from my iTouch.

Is this a known issue with text boxes of this size, or is this something related to the forums themselves?

• Locked thread