Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've got 35 files of metal coming up in an hour or hopefully sooner. Most of it is straight black metal but I threw in some stuff that is either related/loving awesome or pre-black metal/loving awesome. Also I put in some of the classic bands in case you want to pass it on to someone new to BM.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IntoTheNihil posted:

I've got 35 files of metal coming up in an hour or hopefully sooner. Most of it is straight black metal but I threw in some stuff that is either related/loving awesome or pre-black metal/loving awesome. Also I put in some of the classic bands in case you want to pass it on to someone new to BM.

gently caress yes. :black101:

I love Freezing Moon, by far my favorite Mayhem song ever, but I can't help but hear Maniac's "FWWREEZING!?" in my head when I think about it.

edit: I don't like NSBM but it looks like you didn't put too much in there anyway

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah, the NS (like all good NSBM) stuff isn't forceful really. The songs in there are great though, notably Kristallnacht and Wehrhammer.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Sounds like a great BM mix to me. Looking forward to it!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Morbid Florist posted:

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

I won a prize at my work's Christmas party for "Most Outlandish Taste in Music". Then I left the party at about 8.15 and went to see Gorgoroth. Then came back to the party after the gig (there was a free bar and by that point everyone was in a conga line). My workmates all think I'm mad, but in a good way, I think :)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I won a prize at my work's Christmas party for "Most Outlandish Taste in Music". Then I left the party at about 8.15 and went to see Gorgoroth. Then came back to the party after the gig (there was a free bar and by that point everyone was in a conga line). My workmates all think I'm mad, but in a good way, I think :)

That's pretty cool. A couple of my really good friends are indie rock fans; one of them refers to me as "you rough metalhead" and thinks Cannibal Corpse song titles are hilarious.

My dad is actually interested in hearing about metal, even if he doesn't like it, and I might have talked him into listening to some early Darkthrone.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Nice! Gorgoroth and a work xmas party is a story to be retold for years to come!

The plus side to listening to metal at work, at least if you're unfortunate enough to be in IT, is that the easily impressionable people either come by less, or just send emails when they need something. Everyone wins!

A side benefit is that nobody comes by to ask if you saw American Idle or heard the latest Britney gossip: it's assumed you don't give a poo poo :)

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2007

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'm not trying to completely poo poo over that list, but when you come out with statements like "I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here" you had better be able to pick more than just surface-entrance music.

[edit] And as for wearing metal clothes in public - do it if you feel like it, but don't assume you have to. Forcing yourself to wear a sleeveless shirt because you want to keep up appearances is just as stupid as pretending you've never heard a metal cd in your life.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 28, 2007

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gr31lly posted:

[edit] And as for wearing metal clothes in public - do it if you feel like it, but don't assume you have to. Forcing yourself to wear a sleeveless shirt because you want to keep up appearances is just as stupid as pretending you've never heard a metal cd in your life.

I don't do either of these. I tell people if they ask, and I wear metal shirts because I feel like it.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Nihil, the only change I would make to your mix is to add at least one track from Summoning, especially given that you have a few other LOTR-inspired bands/tracks on there. Summoning is the creator/master of that realm IMHO.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Personally I would add Vreid's "Raped By Light" but I might be biased.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

brightfield posted:

Nihil, the only change I would make to your mix is to add at least one track from Summoning, especially given that you have a few other LOTR-inspired bands/tracks on there. Summoning is the creator/master of that realm IMHO.

Yeah, Summoning would be a good addition. Drudkh would fit well too.

Street Butler posted:

Personally I would add Vreid's "Raped By Light" but I might be biased.

I'd actually prefer to see something by Windir. Vreid is an alright band, but for a black metal sampler pack, Windir is almost essential.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Razor posted:

I'd actually prefer to see something by Windir. Vreid is an alright band, but for a black metal sampler pack, Windir is almost essential.

Blodssvik!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

That compilation sounds great, and I'm looking forward to it.

I wear my metal shirts to work, mainly because sometimes I spend half my day mucking behind computer and equipment racks, and I'd rather get my beater Immortal shirt dirty than a nice blouse. Work has no dress code and no one cares, and none of my shirts have offensive imagery on them anyways (personal tastes). The Immortal shirt gets the most reaction, and my quick little soundblurb is that "this is what happens when Norwegians take Kiss seriously."

I can also listen to metal at work - and I do - but I work on media software, so listening to music, CDs, and the like is part of my job. (Though one of my coworkers, who only listens to club techno played in LGBT bars and light jazz, grabbed one of my Vintersorg CDs to listen to, without asking. He gave it back 10 seconds later, declaring that it sounded like 'bees and war'. Oopsie. :laugh: )

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I'm confused, wouldn't uploading a compilation and linking to it here be pretty blatantly against the rules?

AreYouIn posted:

1) First off there will be NO sharing of copyright music in this forum. SA is not for that and you will be banned for it. This means no linking to music, no requesting music, and no redirecting people to places where they can get music. If it is copyright don't post it. Changing file names or sharing low-quality files is not allowed. If you want to talk about these things do it by a private means and don't involve the forums. THIS INCLUDES LIVE RECORDINGS.

I mean I appreciate the effort and everything, but I think you'd get banned without hesitation if you actually posted this.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
I suppose all of us who are interested could provide our AIM screen names or something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

het posted:

I'm confused, wouldn't uploading a compilation and linking to it here be pretty blatantly against the rules?

I mean I appreciate the effort and everything, but I think you'd get banned without hesitation if you actually posted this.
Hmm, that puts me in a hard position now. I can't even technically say to pm me for it or something. Eh, is there a way I could ask a mod about it?

Gr31lly posted:

I'm not trying to completely poo poo over that list, but when you come out with statements like "I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here" you had better be able to pick more than just surface-entrance music.

That's not really surface entrance music. It's not incredibly deep sure, but much deeper than most people dig into the genre.

brightfield posted:

Summoning is too off of the BM genre to really be included. If I did like a folk metal/something I'd include them for sure.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Maybe you guys should just find another place to talk about and distribute this compilation, like some kind of internet chat network or something.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I was kind of hoping for IntoTheNihil posting the mix and getting banned, since it's always funny when people get banned for being idiots.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Well, instant message me from my profile if you're interested.

Dyna Soar posted:

I was kind of hoping for IntoTheNihil posting the mix and getting banned, since it's always funny when people get banned for being idiots.

I wasn't really being an idiot. I just assumed that the rule was only for RIAA released music.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

IntoTheNihil posted:

Well, instant message me from my profile if you're interested.

I don't want to be a dick here, but you are aware of the fact that you still technically are advertising pirated music even though people are told to contact you in private?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Seriously the internet isn't exactly lacking in places where you guys could go and talk about this privately just stop talking about it here!

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I was out shopping with my gf today and we decided to peek into the Hot Topic since it was weirdly bright, and I figured there might be one single shirt or CD I would find that I liked, and lo and behold, I found one single CD of Darkthrone's Panzerfaust. It was seriously the only black metal cd in the whole store. I bought it of course, but what, if anything do you think this means?

Is black metal going to go more mainstream, or do you think it's just a fluke?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Black metal will never be mainstream. It's just that Darkthrone have been around for a long time and have a large fanbase now. The new Mayhem cd is in most stores.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It really depends on the store. I saw Xasthur, Nortt, and Rotting Christ in the Rock/Pop section of one store, whereas the local music store in the town I used to live in doesn't get closer to black metal than Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
I was just listening to some clips of the new Ensepulchred album "Suicide In Winter's Moonlight". Good stuff. Typical "true" BM vocals on top of drum tracks and synthesizers. Worth checking out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weird timing, I just discovered them. Really amazing music.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

IntoTheNihil posted:

Weird timing, I just discovered them. Really amazing music.

Lately, I've been subscribing to the Aquarius Records new arrivals list. That's where I saw them. I had a feeling I would like them from the description, "Ever wonder what a black metal Goblin might sound like... Or if Argento had Nortt or Xasthur score Suspiria..."

On another note, I saw Sweeney Todd yesterday. I was thinking to myself, what good fodder for a BM band. It was much darker and brooding than I expected. I remember Benediction wrote a lot of material based on Jack the Ripper. I wonder if any BM (or other metal) bands have used this material for their music.

brightfield fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 31, 2007

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Ordered some goodies from Autopsy Kitchen yesterday:

Ensepulchred Suicide In Winters Moonlight
Ensepulchred The Night Our Rituals Blackened The Stars
Striborg Ghostwoodlands
Striborg Trepidation
Fornost Der Wind Hat Mir ein Lied Erzählt
Funeralium s/t
Nortt Ligfærd
Nortt Graven

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

IntoTheNihil posted:

Black metal will never be mainstream. It's just that Darkthrone have been around for a long time and have a large fanbase now. The new Mayhem cd is in most stores.

I guess it's a bit different for us Norwegians -- I can walk into the most mainstream record stores here, head over to the "hard rock/metal" shelves, and find that not only do they quite probably have (e.g.) multiple Bathory albums on display, but they are by themselves with a "Bathory" tab rather than among the "miscellaneous B"s. At the same time, new releases by the most significant BM (and other metal) bands will be displayed on the general "new releases" shelf near the cash register rather than consigned to some genre ghetto.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Pretty much every large record store I've been to had a few Bathory albums behind a "Bathory" tab.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

the wizards beard posted:

Pretty much every large record store I've been to had a few Bathory albums behind a "Bathory" tab.

I was lucky to find a lone copy of Blood Fire Death.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

the wizards beard posted:

I was in a mall in Michigan with my sister a while back, and she wanted to stop in FYE. Their metal collection was fairly extensive for what I'd expected when I first walked in. It's been a while, but I distinctly recall seeing Arcturus, Bathory, Dissection, Emperor, and Immortal all behind dedicated tabs.

Abattoir
Oct 21, 2007
I'm about to buy a couple of albums from itunes, but aside from Darkthrone's F.O.A.D., I can't decide between Immortal's Sons of the Northern Darkness or Pure Holocaust. Any suggestions as to which is better?

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Cemetery Polka posted:

I'm about to buy a couple of albums from itunes, but aside from Darkthrone's F.O.A.D., I can't decide between Immortal's Sons of the Northern Darkness or Pure Holocaust. Any suggestions as to which is better?

Go over to the other metal thread. It's being discussed. I would go for Pure Holocause or Diabolical...

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Razor posted:

I was in a mall in Michigan with my sister a while back, and she wanted to stop in FYE. Their metal collection was fairly extensive for what I'd expected when I first walked in. It's been a while, but I distinctly recall seeing Arcturus, Bathory, Dissection, Emperor, and Immortal all behind dedicated tabs.
Being that those artists are either on Candlelight, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, or The End, they're not hard to find at all anymore, and it's becoming increasingly easier as awareness of black metal becomes more prevalent. Granted, tracking down some of the underground bands is still going to be difficult, but I've even seen Burzum on store shelves around here. (Granted, it's been mostly Hlidskjalf and Daudi Baldrs at the FYE, but I did see Filosofem and Det Som Engang Var at the HMV in downtown Vancouver.) You probably won't find it at Best Buy or Walmart any time soon though.

And of course, the iTunes Music Store invalidates all of this distribution question, but most people do not actively research artists, which is what you'd need to do in order to find the obscure stuff.

T-Bozz Factor
Apr 28, 2003

Cemetery Polka posted:

Northern Darkness is more accessible but Pure Holocaust is better.

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007
Would anyone know where i can buy Chthonic - UNlimited TAIWAN single anyware online? I dont want to do Itunes, as it doesnt like my Creative MP3 player.

Its on here if anyone wants to hear it!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=76527979

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrWithers posted:

Would anyone know where i can buy Chthonic - UNlimited TAIWAN single anyware online? I dont want to do Itunes, as it doesnt like my Creative MP3 player.

Its on here if anyone wants to hear it!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=76527979

Buy it from iTunes, re-encode it to mp3 and voila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Buy it from iTunes, re-encode it to mp3 and voila.

How would one re-encode?