Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

brightfield posted:

Summoning! It's not for everyone, but imagine Lord of the Rings - The Musical. Summoning supplies the BM soundtrack.

I'm listening to Mirdautas Vras right now, so epic :black101:

Can someone recommend other bands that fall into the same subgenre as Summoning? I'm not sure what to call it.. melodic epic bm? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrWithers posted:

How would one re-encode?

Well if I recall correctly, .m4a files are just mp3 files in disguise and "re-encoding" them can be done by just changing the file type to .mp3 manually. But if I'm completely wrong which is very possible you'll need a program for it. You can google m4a to mp3 converter or go here if you don't know how to google.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

Well if I recall correctly, .m4a files are just mp3 files in disguise and "re-encoding" them can be done by just changing the file type to .mp3 manually. But if I'm completely wrong which is very possible you'll need a program for it. You can google m4a to mp3 converter or go here if you don't know how to google.

I believe mp3 is mpeg1. .m4a is just .mp4 in disguise (mpeg4) or (Yes I know, wikipedia but;)

quote:

It is specified both as Part 7 of the MPEG-2 standard, and Part 3 of the MPEG-4 standard. As such, it can be referred to as MPEG-2 Part 7 and MPEG-4 Part 3 depending on its implementation, however it is most often referred to as MPEG-4 AAC, or AAC for short.

If you re-encode, you should encode down, rather than encode up, because you will not gain anything by re-encoding a 192kbps to 320kbps, but you (I know I can't tell) can't tell a difference if you encode the 192kbps to the next notch down (160kbps).

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gvaz posted:

I believe mp3 is mpeg1. .m4a is just .mp4 in disguise (mpeg4) or (Yes I know, wikipedia but;)
Yeah I was way off there.

Gvaz posted:

If you re-encode, you should encode down, rather than encode up, because you will not gain anything by re-encoding a 192kbps to 320kbps, but you (I know I can't tell) can't tell a difference if you encode the 192kbps to the next notch down (160kbps).

I'm talking about converting only, naturally you can't add data when it doesn't exist. You can convert a 192k m4a to a 192 mp3 and they should sound exactly the same. Why anyone rips anything below 192 (or VBR) is beyond me.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah I was way off there.

I'm talking about converting only, naturally you can't add data when it doesn't exist. You can convert a 192k m4a to a 192 mp3 and they should sound exactly the same. Why anyone rips anything below 192 (or VBR) is beyond me.

I know, I was just stating it in case there was a question of how to encode it.

Honestly though, I used to encode at 192 but I can't tell any difference using the latest LAME between 128kbps and 320kbps, even with Logitech G51 speakers (I used to have 2.1 CyberAcoustic speakers), so i've resigned to encoding at a max of 160kbps VBR.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gvaz posted:

I know, I was just stating it in case there was a question of how to encode it.

Honestly though, I used to encode at 192 but I can't tell any difference using the latest LAME between 128kbps and 320kbps, even with Logitech G51 speakers (I used to have 2.1 CyberAcoustic speakers), so i've resigned to encoding at a max of 160kbps VBR.

Depends on what kind of music you listen to. If there's a lot going on, 160k is way too low to capture everything. And despite what some people say, I can definitely hear the difference between 128k and lossless.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dyna Soar posted:

Depends on what kind of music you listen to. If there's a lot going on, 160k is way too low to capture everything. And despite what some people say, I can definitely hear the difference between 128k and lossless.

Unquestionable there's a noticeable difference. Not in a lot of blackmetal since it's so underproduced, but even with Immortal's new stuff, I have a 160vbr version of Sons and a 320 one. There is a profound difference. Highs are higher, lows are lower, and the middle is far more dynamic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I generally won't listen to anything under 192. It's perfect for 99% of the music I listen to.

As for the guy looking for Summoning like music, look into Nazgul (Ita) and Mirkwood (U.S.).

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 4, 2008

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I really need to get De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas soon. Also, can anyone recommend any BM with acoustic guitar in it? Based on what I've heard of Peste Noire (just the song "Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse") I like that style a lot and I'd like to hear more acoustic guitars in black metal.

In other black metal news, my copy of Darkthrone's Under A Funeral Moon came yesterday (finally).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Eh, you could try out Urfaust. Don't try too hard to find them though, as they're quite mediocre.

Sarrin
Jul 12, 2007

Behemoth's Sventevith album makes occasional use of acoustic guitars, notably on From the Pagan Vastlands and The Touch of Nya interlude. It's nothing at all like Zos Kias Cultus/Demigod/etc. either, just straight BM.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Street Butler posted:

I really need to get De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas soon.

DMDS is a funny animal to me because my appreciation of it came in waves. At first, my reaction was 'ugh, Attila's vocals!' Then, I actually started liking his vocals (with the exception of whatever he was doing in the title track). Also, I thought the songs all sounded the same, but each song revealed itself to me in a different way later on, and now I can appreciate the whole album as just something dark and intense. I don't know if I'm the only one whose reacted this way to it, but it was a strange evolution. It may not be a compositional masterpiece but the atmosphere in it is its greatest strength.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Eh, you could try out Urfaust. Don't try too hard to find them though, as they're quite mediocre.

Not really. They are actually pretty awesome, in that "the vocalist stumbled drunk into a recording session" kind of way.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Auritech posted:

DMDS is a funny animal to me because my appreciation of it came in waves. At first, my reaction was 'ugh, Attila's vocals!' Then, I actually started liking his vocals (with the exception of whatever he was doing in the title track). Also, I thought the songs all sounded the same, but each song revealed itself to me in a different way later on, and now I can appreciate the whole album as just something dark and intense. I don't know if I'm the only one whose reacted this way to it, but it was a strange evolution. It may not be a compositional masterpiece but the atmosphere in it is its greatest strength.

Not with that album, but with In The Nightside Eclipse. I hated the guitar production and vocals, grew to love the muffled bulldozer guitar sound by way of the Black Wizards track, and eventually used that as a rosetta stone to break down their other songs and see what was actually going on by way of what I already dug. Now the whole thing is one big piece of northern ice when I hear it, in different acts.

I can't stand any newer Emperor albums, but that album to this day blows my mind.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 4, 2008

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Immortal binge!

I completed my discography with the addition of Damned In Black and the Plague Of Evil bootleg, holy poo poo, D.I.B. brings out a rather strong 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!' reaction.

Also today I bought tickets for the Wellington show in March, the first time they've been over this way, and if they can still play half as well as in that bootleg, I'm going to be in heaven.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

catbread.jpg posted:

Immortal binge!

I completed my discography with the addition of Damned In Black and the Plague Of Evil bootleg, holy poo poo, D.I.B. brings out a rather strong 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!' reaction.

I had the same reaction the first time I heard Immortal.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

Immortal binge!

Also today I bought tickets for the Wellington show in March, the first time they've been over this way, and if they can still play half as well as in that bootleg, I'm going to be in heaven.

I listened to D.I.B. yesterday as a part of my commitment to play Immortal while out shoveling snow. Thanks to record snowfalls I've now listened to their entire discography outside in my grim and frostbitten driveway. :black101:

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007

Bobulot posted:

I listened to D.I.B. yesterday as a part of my commitment to play Immortal while out shoveling snow. Thanks to record snowfalls I've now listened to their entire discography outside in my grim and frostbitten driveway. :black101:

Hah, i walked to work the other morning in blizzard like snow listening to Battles in the north. Most metal commute to work ive ever had!

behemoth7
May 8, 2007

by Ozma
more people need to hear Zemial In Monumentum one of the best black metal bands from Greece.

Reminds me a lot of early bathory and Varathron.

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.
All this talk of Canadian Metal has brought to mind Dark Forest. It's a one man black metal project from some dude in Calgary, but most of it is pretty solid. Note the use of words like "Fullmoon" and "Eternal". :black101:

Grim.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Morbid Florist posted:

Unquestionable there's a noticeable difference. Not in a lot of blackmetal since it's so underproduced, but even with Immortal's new stuff, I have a 160vbr version of Sons and a 320 one. There is a profound difference. Highs are higher, lows are lower, and the middle is far more dynamic.
What lowpass was your 160VBR rip encoded with? 320CBR is almost universally better than 160VBR, but there's a lot of really lovely encoders out there that completely mess up the lowpass.

Gvaz posted:

True, but false. .mp4 and .m4a is the MPEG-4 Part 14 container format (like .avi, .mkv, .ogm, etc.), which is pretty much identical to Apple's .mov container format. It can contain a number of video, audio and subtitle streams, which may or may not be MPEG-4. By convention, .m4a means that it's audio-only MPEG-4, but the format itself can actually contain whatever and be a perfectly valid, standards-conforming file.

It's irrelevant, though, because the stuff you get off of iTunes is FairPlay-protected and has the .m4p file extension. It can't be converted without some mechanism for breaking the DRM (the simplest of which is burning it to CD from iTunes and re-ripping it). Transcoding to another format does bad, bad things to the audio quality.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 6, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Heavy posted:

What lowpass was your 160VBR rip encoded with? 320CBR is almost universally better than 160VBR, but there's a lot of really lovely encoders out there that completely mess up the lowpass.

Absolutely no idea. I don't really care if I'm giving up storage space with solid 320 unless it's drastically overkill, like a mid-90's BM album. VBR seems to gently caress with my mp3 player sometimes if I FF through a bit of a song, too. Have to pull the battery and all and that means having to stop for a minute if I'm driving.

Impakta
Dec 12, 2007

kirkjames posted:

I'll probably get poo poo because they aren't true black metal or whatever, but Wolves in the Throne Room, especially their newest album loving rules.

Yeah, their new record was great. I feel too many black metal bands limit themselves because they're too elitest about what black metal "should" be anyways. Reminds me of a differnt mohawked, studded clothing wearing subculture that shall go unnamed...

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Street Butler posted:

Also, can anyone recommend any BM with acoustic guitar in it? Based on what I've heard of Peste Noire (just the song "Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse") I like that style a lot and I'd like to hear more acoustic guitars in black metal.

I haven't heard much Peste Noire, and this may not be quite what you're looking for, but if you haven't already heard it, try Ulver - Bergtatt. Incredibly atmospheric and eerie. Possibly my favourite black metal album.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Impakta posted:

Yeah, their new record was great. I feel too many black metal bands limit themselves because they're too elitest about what black metal "should" be anyways.
I don't think they were exploring anything new really other than making the atmospheric parts of Burzum boring (which plenty of people have done). The actively rocking parts were pretty good but not good enough to outweigh the bad.

behemoth7
May 8, 2007

by Ozma
What do people think about the new Belenos album? It's def in my top 10 BM albums of 07..

for people that aren't familiar with Belenos they play Celtic black metal

http://www.myspace.com/belenosbzh

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Sinner King went out of his way in an ask/tell thread about black metal and gave us a grim colbert!

This bitch needs to be added to :black101:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Is anyone else anxious to hear these?

HELLHAMMER: 'Demon Entrails' Details Revealed

With the release of "Demon Entrails" on February 18, 2008, the days of numerous sub-standard bootlegs of the classic HELLHAMMER demos "Death Fiend", "Triumph of Death" and "Satanic Rites" are finally over! Currently also working on a book dealing with the history of HELLHAMMER, Tom Gabriel Fischer points out the importance of this release:

"The release of these demos is very significant to both Martin Eric Ain and me. No matter how one looks at HELLHAMMER, this was our first recorded music so many years ago, and it represents the radicalness of our own lives at the time. These demos became the foundation to everything we later created in CELTIC FROST. Hell reigned on earth."

"Demon Entrails" has been specially remastered from copies of the original master tapes under the supervision of Tom Gabriel Fischer, and the demos now represent HELLHAMMER exactly as the band sounded when recording these songs in June and December of 1983. Drawing from a wealth of previously unknown historical liner notes material and artwork as well as plenty of unreleased HELLHAMMER photos from 1982 to 1984, "Demon Entrails" features all lyrics and essays detailing the individual demo recording sessions.

Here is the tracklisting information for the CD formats of the release:

HELLHAMMER - "Demon Entrails" 2-CD track listing:

CD 1: "Satanic Rites" Demo, December 2/3/4/7, 1983 (45:57)

01. Intro (0:58)
02. Messiah (4:18)
03. The Third Of The Storms (Evoked Damnation) (3:02)
04. Buried And Forgotten (6:01)
05. Maniac [re-recorded version] (3:46)
06. Eurynomos (3:10)
07. Triumph Of Death [re-recorded version] (6:58)
08. Revelations Of Doom (3:03)
09. Reaper [re-recorded version] (2:28)
10. Satanic Rites (7:18)
11. Crucifixion [re-recorded version] (2:45)
12. Outro (2:01)

CD 2: "Death Fiend & Triumph Of Death" Demos, June 10/11, 1983 (56:18)

01. Crucifixion (3:04)
02. Maniac (4:01)
03. (Execution) When Hell's Near (2:38)
04. Decapitator (2:07)
05. Blood Insanity (4:22)
06. Power Of Satan (4:11)
07. Reaper (2:06)
08. Death Fiend (2:35)
09. Triumph Of Death (5:15)
10. Metallic Storm (2:19)
11. Ready For Slaughter (3:36)
12. Dark Warriors (3:03)
13. Hammerhead (2:48)
14. Angel Of Destruction (2:58)
15. Bloody Pussies (4:59)
16. Chainsaw (3:58)
17. Sweet Torment (2:09)

"Demon Entrails" will be available as an opulent oversized double CD media-book packaging and as a gatefold triple vinyl album. Both versions will feature a lavish booklet and a poster. There will also be a third, bare-bones lower-price CD version.

Also, can anyone confirm the quality of the new IXXI album Assorted Armament? Their website has posted news of it's release last month. I'd prefer to hear a positive review before shelling out for the outrageous shipping charges. I really enjoyed their S/T debut.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 8, 2008

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines

Street Butler posted:

can anyone recommend any BM with acoustic guitar in it? Based on what I've heard of Peste Noire (just the song "Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse") I like that style a lot and I'd like to hear more acoustic guitars in black metal.
Try the new October Falls EP, (The Streams of the End), the first Agalloch full-length (Pale Folklore), and the first Behemoth full-length (Sventevith).

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Since the Son of a Recommendation thread wasn't any help, I figure it would be best to ask you people.

I really like what I hear when I listen to Taake's Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik album. What other artists or bands would you suggest that keep the same feel of this album?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I just discovered Wyrd and they're pretty loving amazing. Lots of acoustic stuff, very folkish, and the vocals are almost a growl, kind of a middish rasp rather than the traditional BM shriek/screech. It's pretty slow, with a lot of focus on the atmosphere, some clean singing/chanting.

This is the most beautiful black metal I have ever heard.

Necro Beer
Dec 25, 2006
So good, its deadly!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Hellhammer compilation release

I'm definitely intrigued by this. I have a healthy love for Celtic Frost and I've always been curious about Hellhammer especially considering how influential their legacy is.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm finally giving Alcest's new stuff a listen, and I have to say, I really love this. It's beautiful.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Eldrig anyone? Just streaming a couple of their songs from Aquarius Records' website, and I'm intrigued. Anyone have either of these two new albums they put out Kali and Everlasting War Divinity? The comparison I'm about to make will sound a little crazy, but I would describe their sound as a mix between Mew and Summoning. Yeah, crazy, but it works for me.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

brightfield posted:

Eldrig anyone? Just streaming a couple of their songs from Aquarius Records' website, and I'm intrigued. Anyone have either of these two new albums they put out Kali and Everlasting War Divinity? The comparison I'm about to make will sound a little crazy, but I would describe their sound as a mix between Mew and Summoning. Yeah, crazy, but it works for me.

A far better comparison would be Eldrig's other band, Fanisk, who's brand of unique symphonic progressive black metal is firmly entrenched in a league of its own.

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

Gr31lly posted:

A far better comparison would be Eldrig's other band, Fanisk, who's brand of unique symphonic progressive black metal is firmly entrenched in a league of its own.

I like Eldrig's music too. Shame the guy is a Nazi. If you go to his/their myspace page, he has some pretty unpleasant views. My friend at a local record store described him coming into the store in his little SS outfit. I hate it when jerks make good music.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

quantumdots posted:

I hate it when jerks make good music.

This pretty much sums up why I can't listen to NSBM. Some of it is absolutely loving amazing music, but I can't get the thought of "this guy is a Nazi" out of my head and it ruins the experience for me. Besides that, a lot of times I can understand the lyrics, and hearing racist lyrics pisses me off too.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Street Butler posted:

This pretty much sums up why I can't listen to NSBM. Some of it is absolutely loving amazing music, but I can't get the thought of "this guy is a Nazi" out of my head and it ruins the experience for me. Besides that, a lot of times I can understand the lyrics, and hearing racist lyrics pisses me off too.

Yeah, I know what you're saying (and I'm jewish!). Anyway, I've already made an exception for Burzum, so what's one more nutjob? Another album I picked up that may be of interest is Nagelfar "Virus West" - for those who like more traditional Immortal-like BM.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Street Butler posted:

Not NSBM obviouisly, but Dissection is my favourite band. I've gotten past my dislike for Jon Nodtvedt, same goes for bands like Gorgoroth, Burzum. Fortunately Jon never went political with his lyrics. gently caress knows what Gaahl is singing about, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Concrete posted:

Not NSBM obviouisly, but Dissection is my favourite band. I've gotten past my dislike for Jon Nodtvedt, same goes for bands like Gorgoroth, Burzum. Fortunately Jon never went political with his lyrics. gently caress knows what Gaahl is singing about, though.

Satan.