Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

Arson Equity posted:

Dry Rot is amazing, especially the concept album (was it on Deer Healer, maybe both the first EPs are on DH?) about the serial killer. My friend interviewed them for his zine Herpes- they have some loving weird rear end backgrounds though. I dug that ep but never saw them.

I believe the concept EP is Subordinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

ChaosNonMusica posted:

It's futile dude. This thread hasn't had much of anything to do with hardcore in ages.

you are hard to please oh sky god. WEEKEND NACHOS isnt hardcore enough for you?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

THE LUMMOX posted:

It's funny, the reason there's no hardcore discussion is because we covered it in 2 pages, and since all hardcore has to sound the same (or else it's not hardcore!) there's really no point in even bringing it up again.

RagingPawn
Nov 29, 2007
Seeing A Wilhelm Scream on the 24th. What can I expect from one of their live shows?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Inspector_71 posted:

It's funny, the reason there's no hardcore discussion is because we covered it in 2 pages, and since all hardcore has to sound the same (or else it's not hardcore!) there's really no point in even bringing it up again.

Dude, all music is just the same notes in different orders. gently caress this poo poo.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

THE LUMMOX posted:

A few mentions of Weekend Nachos among many pages of emo/screamo discussion does not a hardcore thread make. It's not my fault that I'm trying to get people pumped about things like the new Gauze CD and they would rather discuss emo bands that won't be relevant in 6 months.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

This thread should take a turn for the Blank Stare, Sick Fix and Coke Bust direction since they along with Weekend Nachos and Harms Way killed TIFY this year and were amazing again in Charlotte. DISCUSS

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.

The Spookmaster posted:

This thread should take a turn for the Blank Stare, Sick Fix and Coke Bust direction since they along with Weekend Nachos and Harms Way killed TIFY this year and were amazing again in Charlotte. DISCUSS

Man, I'm jealous. That line up killed. Did you happen to see Judas and In Disgust too? They put out arguably some of the best material in '07.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

RagingPawn posted:

Seeing A Wilhelm Scream on the 24th. What can I expect from one of their live shows?

Good, good things. I saw them when they supported Less Than Jake over here in Australia last year. Even though they were the supporting band, and there were only like 40 people in the place that knew who the gently caress they were, they were still loving tight and awesome.

You won't be disappointed.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

The Spookmaster posted:

I saw this line-up in Allentown. My favorite was Coke Bust, but they were all great. I hurt my rib cage area during that show (I think).

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I've been sleeping on Coke Bust forever but finally checked em out since they've been brought up in here so much. Super loving good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChaosNonMusica posted:

A few mentions of Weekend Nachos among many pages of emo/screamo discussion does not a hardcore thread make. It's not my fault that I'm trying to get people pumped about things like the new Gauze CD and they would rather discuss emo bands that won't be relevant in 6 months.

Holy High Horse Batman!

I listened to that new Gauze album and it sounds like pretty much every other hardcore band I've ever heard, only the lyrics are in Japanese.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I listened to that new Gauze album and it sounds like pretty much every other hardcore band I've ever heard, only the lyrics are in Japanese.

Ok, well now I'm just genuinely curious, what other hardcore bands have you heard? Cause I can only think of one or two bands that sound similar to Gauze (NK6 [who are roadies for Gauze], and maybe one other if I dig the depths of my brain).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Ok, well now I'm just genuinely curious, what other hardcore bands have you heard? Cause I can only think of one or two bands that sound similar to Gauze (NK6 [who are roadies for Gauze], and maybe one other if I dig the depths of my brain).
I guess Guaze are faster than bands like Snapcase, but that's the only differentiation I hear. And even then, all of the songs I've heard by Gauze sound identical.

I just feel like Hardcore is so recycled by bands and the genre as a whole, because anything that attempts to push the boundaries of the genre is cast out or immediately condemned (see Snapcase's last album.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 6, 2008

despise you
Jan 20, 2007
http://www.myspace.com/trashtalkfu

FOREVER hosed

This is so good, and the new 7" just dropped. I am so excited to hear it.

When they come out with an LP I am probably going to poo poo my pants, and then poo poo someone elses pants.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Pretty much all hardcore sounds the same to me, playing fast and not very melodically. Not to say it's all bad, but much like Metalcore, I just don't think there's much difference between bands.

Ok, fair enough. I do think that hardcore is quite varied though. Speaking for myself only, I find it impossible to confuse a breakneck noisy thrash band like Wretched from Italy with a much more polished and metallic band like Death Side from Japan, both of whom many people would consider to fall under the hardcore banner, even though they sound quite different from each other (See! It doesn't all have to sound the same!). I can see what you're saying though because I think that many bands in some hardcore sub-genres/scenes (I'm looking at you retro '82 USHC) DO sound very much alike, and if someone wasn't familiar with hardcore on a worldwide scale (and the different sounds that many countries have), it could get tedious.

Oh, I see you edited too. To touch on that, I definetly think that there is room for boundry pushing (if there wasn't, something like modern "Burning Spirits" Japanese hardcore wouldn't exist and that would suck balls), but I also think that with too much experimentation it's possible to lose the point or completely move into another direction altogether.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Inspector_71 posted:

I guess Guaze are faster than bands like Snapcase, but that's the only differentiation I hear. And even then, all of the songs I've heard by Gauze sound identical.
Cool then you never actually listened to it, or cared about learning about them. If you don't like it why would you pretend to make a realistic opinion on it? Gauze sounds nothing like Snapcase at any speed, they certainly aren't anything like Snapcase, and I don't understand where the Snapcase comparison came from.

When The Geeks came someone asked if they were "another japanese hardcore band," possibly in reference to a Warhead/Forward tour that played the same venue a long time ago.

Who cares if you don't know some band, on the other hand, how ignorant do you have to be to say "oh, they look japanese to my feeble mind, therefore they must sound like Warhead or Forward! (sidenote, two bands that sound nothing alike)"

The Geeks are a straight edge south korean hardcore band that most people claim is blatant YoT worship. They opened by playing the Chicago Bulls starting lineup song. It was probably one of the top three shows at that venue I had ever seen for the record.

Summary: You can dismiss anything you don't like musically with "oh it all sounds the same." You sound like an idiot saying it though.

Some stuff I picked up this weekend-

Still Life - Slow Children at Play
Gauze - st ep
Swallowing poo poo - Love is the act of being moved into action
Nema/Warfare State - split
VA - Southeast Hardcore, gently caress Yeah (palatka, rear end in a top hat parade, end of the century party, in/humanity, etc)

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Arson Equity posted:

Still Life - Slow Children at Play
Gauze - st ep
Swallowing poo poo - Love is the act of being moved into action
Nema/Warfare State - split
VA - Southeast Hardcore, gently caress Yeah (palatka, rear end in a top hat parade, end of the century party, in/humanity, etc)

Just chiming in to say that Palatka loving dominates. I'm also going on the hunt for the new Gauze this weekend.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arson Equity posted:

Cool then you never actually listened to it, or cared about learning about them. If you don't like it why would you pretend to make a realistic opinion on it? Gauze sounds nothing like Snapcase at any speed, they certainly aren't anything like Snapcase, and I don't understand where the Snapcase comparison came from.

When The Geeks came someone asked if they were "another japanese hardcore band," possibly in reference to a Warhead/Forward tour that played the same venue a long time ago.

Who cares if you don't know some band, on the other hand, how ignorant do you have to be to say "oh, they look japanese to my feeble mind, therefore they must sound like Warhead or Forward! (sidenote, two bands that sound nothing alike)"

The Geeks are a straight edge south korean hardcore band that most people claim is blatant YoT worship. They opened by playing the Chicago Bulls starting lineup song. It was probably one of the top three shows at that venue I had ever seen for the record.

Did you even read my revised post or just start foaming at the mouth when I said I didn't like Gauze? I listened to their new album because of how much hype folks like you were giving it and I didn't hear anything compelling or groundbreaking about it, so I turned it off and deleted it.

I didn't compare Gauze to Snapcase in any way at all. I said that I think "hardcore" all sounds similar because any band that tries to experiment gets deemed "not hardcore" which is exactly what happened to Snapcase.

I just have never heard any hardcore bands that really grabbed me, it's my opinion. The reason none of them have grabbed me is that all of the bands I usually hear bandied about don't sound very different from each other to me. I remember Ramallah being hailed in one of these threads as some kind of revelation for the genre, when all it was was the same sound with a synth in the background.

Plus, it seems like all hardcore fans are fuckstick zealots as you just proved, which makes it impossible to have any discussions about the music.

And I'd also like to remind you that this whole thing started because ChaosNonMusica came off as a holy-than-thou douchebag, yet he was pretty civil in his response to my post.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 7, 2008

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Inspector_71 posted:

Did you even read my revised post or just start foaming at the mouth when I said I didn't like Gauze?
Foaming at the mouth? Can we keep it civil? Read the quote I quoted, you said it sounds like Snapcase but faster, word for word.

quote:

I didn't compare Gauze to Snapcase in any way at all.
okay one more time

Inspector_71 posted:

If I misread this please correct me

Inspector_71 posted:

I said that I think "hardcore" all sounds similar because any band that tries to experiment gets deemed "not hardcore" which is exactly what happened to Snapcase.

I just have never heard any hardcore bands that really grabbed me, it's my opinion. The reason none of them have grabbed me is that all of the bands I usually hear bandied about don't sound very different from each other to me. I remember Ramallah being hailed in one of these threads as some kind of revelation for the genre, when all it was was the same sound with a synth in the background.

Plus, it seems like all hardcore fans are fuckstick zealots as you just proved, which makes it impossible to have any discussions about the music.

And I'd also like to remind you that this whole thing started because ChaosNonMusica came off as a holy-than-thou douchebag, yet he was pretty civil in his response to my post.
I don't like Snapcase because its boring, that's just my opinion. You don't have to like Gauze. Ramallah wasn't a huge amazing mind blowing band, I thought they were terrible.

I was reacting to the fact that you listened to it once and said it sounds like Snapcase. To me that is mindblowing. That's all I wrote and followed it up with a story about how its funny when two bands are compared that have no similarities. IE how every recent record is compared to Crossed Out, like they're a cool namedrop in record reviews now?

quote:

Plus, it seems like all hardcore fans are fuckstick zealots as you just proved,
This does nothing productive and just polarizes discussions. If you want to talk music, please do so.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wow, I could have sworn I edited out the Snapcase bit in the first post. Aren't I just the :saddowns:

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
While we're all in a hardcore mood here, can we talk about how amazing Catharsis was? I listen to Passion probably every other day.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

What about "hardcore sideprojects," aka bands hardcore folks play in that aren't hardcore?

I just got Exalted's We Are the Grim Throng and it loving rules, just as MK Ultra did.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

p0isonxfree posted:

I've been sleeping on Coke Bust forever but finally checked em out since they've been brought up in here so much. Super loving good.

Know anywhere with some MP3s online?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

http://www.myspace.com/cokebust

My friend puts out their record, if you want any matt.

http://www.myspace.com/thirdxpartyrecords

FPO lp whenever it gets sorted out.. they were going to tour but their visas didnt get through apparently.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

MattWPBS posted:

Know anywhere with some MP3s online?

Also if you search for them on last.fm there's at least one full track up.

DaLkO
Mar 27, 2005

graaaahhh me maties
So Restrained (members of 7 Generations) and The Separation (members of Set it Straight) are fuckin awesome! Both bring on the crusty hardcore goodness. So loving heavy!

RunTo TheHills posted:

While we're all in a hardcore mood here, can we talk about how amazing Catharsis was? I listen to Passion probably every other day.

So loving good. Definitely in my top 10. But Requiem was better...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I've been meaning to check out The Separation but I haven't done so yet. Set It Straight was loving awesome.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Bleach Boys (texas, not skinhead band, altho they rule too) loving rock.

http://www.myspace.com/bleachboystx

Altho if you are a fan of the other band then you might be psyched to hear the Templar's shop in NYC is carrying their shirts as well as for mailordering.

Got the LSD discography too..

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Speaking of Texas and the bleach boys reminded me of A.N.S. Skate/Thrash band who are all cool dudes and put on a fun show.

http://www.myspace.com/ans

And speaking of Texas more reminds me of Hatred Surge, Knuckle Scraper, and Machine Gun Romantics. Alex Hughes, one of the nicest guys I've ever met, played a part in all of these. Seriously, the biggest sweetheart.

http://www.myspace.com/hatredsurgetexas
http://www.myspace.com/knucklescraper (the 7" they put out, Max Isnt The Bastard is soooo good)
http://www.myspace.com/machinegunromantics

Hatred Surge's split lp with The Endless Blockade is some of their best stuff even thought I hate The Endless Blockade side.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

A loving men on the endless blockade half of that split. Not a big MGR fan but I love Knuckle Scraper. ANS' lp The Process of Stoking Out has been out for a while but I dunno if they're still on tour, they were in Europe I think. Texas is full of killer stuff, I miss Army of Jesus and Complications tho.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Good, I'm glad someone agrees with me about The Endless Blockade, people I know are into them and I find them incredibly boring to listen to and see live. They came through AZ a while back, I cant remember with who, and it was one of the most boring sets I've ever seen (another mentionable moment is the most recent time I saw Some Girls, huuuuge letdown).

My favorite part of the ANS lp is the guy on the cover who looks exactly like a friend of mine. It uncanny. I know they are back from Europe because they played here like 2 weeks ago. They had spray-painted covers for the lp which were pretty cool, but I couldn't justify spending another $10 just for that.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

DaLkO posted:

So Restrained (members of 7 Generations) and The Separation (members of Set it Straight) are fuckin awesome! Both bring on the crusty hardcore goodness. So loving heavy!

So loving good. Definitely in my top 10. But Requiem was better...

Oh poo poo, i'll check that outttt. I know Chris from 7 Generations, and he's an awesome dude, along with the rest of those guys. (Kept running into him at Native Foods, shows, etc. Haven't talked to him for a while though.)

Arson Equity posted:

A loving men on the endless blockade half of that split. Not a big MGR fan but I love Knuckle Scraper. ANS' lp The Process of Stoking Out has been out for a while but I dunno if they're still on tour, they were in Europe I think. Texas is full of killer stuff, I miss Army of Jesus and Complications tho.

Knuckle Scraper is loving amazing.

MAX- HE'S ALWAYS ON HIS poo poo
HE NEVER loving QUITS
HE'S SO loving RAD
I WISH HE WAS MY DAD

Just got back from Vena Cava/Max Levine Ensemble/TBIAPB/Defiance, Ohio show. It was orgasmic. But what really made it amazing was the fact that the venue had a gigantic RON PAUL banner over the stage. loving hilarious. People kept yelling poo poo like "GOLD STANDARD WOOO" and "(band name here) SURE ARE FLEET FOOTED." Incredible.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.

Eight Is Legend posted:

The guys from the metal thread said I should talk to you guys.

I'm going to see The Dillinger Escape Plan/Poison the Well in March. Not really having listened to that much music from both bands, which records by them would you recommend to start with?

DEP - Calculating Infinity and Under the Running Board EP, and then listen to the various songs from Ire Works and Miss Machine off the myspace.
PTW - Opposite of December and You Come Before You, both flawless records. PTW likes to play stuff from every album live, and DEP has a pretty varied setlist too.

Anyway, I'm going to bet I'm the only one excited that Breakdown is playing Superbowl of Hardcore. Only reason I'm going this year. Maybe I'll get lucky and Indecision will play again too.
Was debating taking a roadtrip this weekend to see Gehenna, Pulling Teeth, and Starkweather but I really don't have the money. Such an amazing lineup.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dillinger: that show is going to slay. Big starkweather fan too, never seen them live.

Excerpt from interview with mike/gehenna from Earth Sucks #2/Omega

quote:

Earth Sucks: To silence the internet poo poo-talkers for once and for all, what exactly went down at This Is Not a Fest at Gilman earlier this month?

M: Things went stupid with members of the band. Only Jensen and I showed. Even after the drummer said he was going to be there and play. (There is an internal problem with the band right now that I'm trying to sort out) So Jensen and I did what Gehenna does whenever we are all together. Usually we play music. But when there are only 2 of us we eat food, listen to music, and get hosed up. So that is what we did. I played Project Pat "Still Ridin' Clean," Jensen ate a veggie burrito, I smoked a spliff, drank whiskey, and talked poo poo. The last words in the song are "...and I'm still on the scene. Nigga, what?" So I said that at the end of the song and we walked off stage. There were some square assed mother fuckers that were talking poo poo and trying say we ripped 'em off cause we didn't play, but that's cause they don't realize that they actually saw Gehenna. That is Gehenna. There are no guarantees that we are gonna be good, play your favorite song, not hurt you, or even show up. That is Gehenna in our truest form.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Arson Equity posted:

http://www.myspace.com/cokebust

My friend puts out their record, if you want any matt.

http://www.myspace.com/thirdxpartyrecords

FPO lp whenever it gets sorted out.. they were going to tour but their visas didnt get through apparently.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I've still got those two lovely Limits 7"s and the t-shirt for you. Want to do just make it a like for like swap?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

MattWPBS posted:

Yeah, that'd be cool. I've still got those two lovely Limits 7"s and the t-shirt for you. Want to do just make it a like for like swap?
Yeah, lemme know if theres anything specific you want, I linked a ton of chicago bands a page or so back but I can get other semi-local stuff from cleveland or st louis.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I'm so jealous of all y'all out in california that got to see those This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb/Max Levine Ensemble/Defiance, Ohio shows. I would kill a man to see that poo poo.

Speaking of, how's the latest max levine ensemble record? I haven't heard it yet.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

mrmanatee posted:

I'm so jealous of all y'all out in california that got to see those This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb/Max Levine Ensemble/Defiance, Ohio shows. I would kill a man to see that poo poo.

Speaking of, how's the latest max levine ensemble record? I haven't heard it yet.

I picked it up at the show and it's fantastic. I haven't listened enough yet to pick out a favorite song, but i'm really really happy with the purchase. I also picked up their split with Operation: Cliff Clavin, which is totally sweet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walkingistillhonest
Mar 1, 2007
Is anyone going to Lemuria's record release tonight in NY? I am stuck in Richmond but I pre-ordered the LP, it should be coming soon!