Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How many people did they draw before Japaninflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hell yes for Nakamura winning the IWGP title.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

weekly font posted:

How many people did they draw before Japaninflation.
We gotta wait for Da Meltz to give us the scoop.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They claimed 27,000.

Also Jeff Jarrett did a run-in or something in the tag title match when GBH came out and he gave Toru Yano a guitar shot. Also Goto got like no offense in against Mutoh. :downs:YAY NJPW:downs:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Captain Charisma posted:

They claimed 27,000.

Also Jeff Jarrett did a run-in or something in the tag title match when GBH came out and he gave Toru Yano a guitar shot. Also Goto got like no offense in against Mutoh. :downs:YAY NJPW:downs:

mutoh just felt like kickin some rear end :v:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nakamura vs Angle in a title vs title match is set for 2/17 at Sumo Hall.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

Nakamura vs Angle in a title vs title match is set for 2/17 at Sumo Hall.

BRING THE TITLE HOME NAKAMURA :hellyeah:

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
I'm watching the NJPW vs TNA show and I've gotta say that Canadian Destroyer sounds SO FUCKIN' COOL in Japanese.

edit - I can also now confirm that Abyss falling into thumbtacks in New Japan is just as dumb and boring as it is in TNA.

Ditch posted:

We gotta wait for Da Meltz to give us the scoop.

Dave said on the Figure Four Daily show that it did 20,000 and was mostly papered.

TheDuelies fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 6, 2008

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Good gravy that's pathetic. I guess Angle isn't much of a draw either, following the Brock bust. If NOAH gets Kobashi back full-time they can very quickly become #1 and hold it.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

Good gravy that's pathetic. I guess Angle isn't much of a draw either, following the Brock bust. If NOAH gets Kobashi back full-time they can very quickly become #1 and hold it.

Judging by their sweep of the Japanese end of year awards I'd say NOAH were number one already. New Japan, despite being the better promotion last year (not saying much) seems to have too much negativity attached to it's name at the moment, evidenced by the abysmal turnout on 1/4. Even with Angle and a hot main event scene, I assume that Japanese fans will still be wary of how poor NJ has been in years previous. Not to mention the actual main event was a repeat of the main event that completely failed two(?) years ago.

At least NOAH, whilst boring as gently caress, is still consistently good in ring.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NJ is much, much stronger outside Tokyo, and they draw enough within Tokyo for big shows that they're ahead of Kobashi-less NOAH. Misawa was the weakest MVP in memory.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

NJ is much, much stronger outside Tokyo, and they draw enough within Tokyo for big shows that they're ahead of Kobashi-less NOAH. Misawa was the weakest MVP in memory.

No doubt about it. How Tanahashi got overlooked I'll never know. Marufuji, Sekimoto and CIMA all had a better year too, but I can't imagine any of them winning it any time soon. I just figured since they were voted by proper, respected journalists that the opinions given would mirror that of most Japanese fans. However Ditch, I imagine you've forgotten more about puroresu than I'll ever know so I'll shut up.

Also have you had chance to see the extended version of the Kobashi/Kikuchi vs Lafon/Furnas yet? If so did it possibly live up to the hype? I got the TV block with all the Kobashi matches on it but I've yet to watch through it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raffles posted:

No doubt about it. How Tanahashi got overlooked I'll never know. Marufuji, Sekimoto and CIMA all had a better year too, but I can't imagine any of them winning it any time soon. I just figured since they were voted by proper, respected journalists that the opinions given would mirror that of most Japanese fans. However Ditch, I imagine you've forgotten more about puroresu than I'll ever know so I'll shut up.

Also have you had chance to see the extended version of the Kobashi/Kikuchi vs Lafon/Furnas yet? If so did it possibly live up to the hype? I got the TV block with all the Kobashi matches on it but I've yet to watch through it.

I wanted to ask about this too, Ditch if you find this and can upload it you are a god.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.sendspace.com/file/msjsfv

That is a low-grade file with a bunch of matches. I'm holding out for high-grade, which is inevitable. I've heard good things!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Was SEMful Gift taped? I really wanted to see a bunch of those matches, particularly Akiyama-Aoki. I can't find it anywhere.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
SEM gets delayed a while.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My favorite japanese wrestler is Kikutaro. What silliness can you show me from him?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Sadly the Matt Classic vs Kikutaro match from last year appears to have been deleted everywhere.

There are all streaming links:

Kiku Angle vs Muscle Lesnar vs Josh Kintaro
Ebessan vs Kamen
Ebessan vs Kamen (2/3 Falls)
Liger & Delfin vs Ebessan & Kamen
Satoshi Kojima vs Triple Kiku
Kikutaro & Matsuyama vs The Mecha Mummies

Further silliness:

Bruiser Minody(Minoru Suzuki) & Takan Hansen(Yoshihiro Takayama) vs Terry Sanshiro(Sanshiro Takagi) & Jumbo Kiku(Kikutaro)

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 9, 2008

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Chiming in to say this match is amazing, especially when Minody and Takan get their getups ripped off and become Minoru and Takayama...then remember the gimmick and put their costumes back on to finish the match!

Also, I'd kill to see Kiku vs. MATT CLASSIC.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

thatguyclint posted:

Also, I'd kill to see Kiku vs. MATT CLASSIC.

It was a great fuckin match lemme tell you.

edit:

http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/069.html

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 9, 2008

Athius
Dec 5, 2004
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
Christ, I just bought "streamer seat" tickets for the UK NOAH show. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to handle it.

Sadly, there is no card yet, unless I am mistaken.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

HulkaMatt posted:

It was a great fuckin match lemme tell you.

edit:

http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/069.html

The tag match the following night was great too.

YOU KICKED TARO!

yes my name is kikutaro

NO, YOU KICKED TARO!

yes, my name is kikutaro

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/72983
THIS WEEK: '07 retrospective with special guests!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/72983
THIS WEEK: '07 retrospective with special guests!

Your opinions are the only opinions that matter :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here's another one for file of coco's the last to know:

http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=264&id=2434

ROH's store would like you to know about this NOAH DVD posted:

All Matches in Full length/uncut!
with English Commentary & Graphics!

I don't know if the other NOAH dvds have english commentary, but that would be awesome.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Any NOAH DVDs at ROH are going to be the ones with English commentary. They're generally 2 hours long and have the first half (or more) of the show clipped.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Any NOAH DVDs at ROH are going to be the ones with English commentary. They're generally 2 hours long and have the first half (or more) of the show clipped.

Only the first few 06 shows were clipped, and the 07 shows include options for the original commentary. The last DVD has the Joe/Misawa match only as stills, and it like the DVD before it are the most important matches from two Budokan shows on one DVD.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Random Dragon Gate thought:
Yoshino is the man. He reversed a Suicide Dive with a chair shot.

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?

Ditch posted:

If you haven't seen Furnas & Kroffat vs Kobashi & Kikuchi from '92 yet, get ready to lose your poo poo. That one is exponentially better.

Oh god yes that match was awesome. Crowd was crazy hot throughout the match. I honestly can watch that match over and over. Its the match that got me into Puro.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

coconono posted:

Random Dragon Gate thought:
Yoshino is the man. He reversed a Suicide Dive with a chair shot.
Benoit did it first :canada:

Whitey Bear
Nov 29, 2006

The Streetwise Pimp
A couple of questions regarding FMW back in the early days.

1. Who was Beast the Barbarian? I can't seem to find any information regarding this guy outside his run in FMW.

2. Who was Jerry Blayman? I'm assuming he was a student of Masashi Aoyagi, but there isn't anything I can find on him either.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Whitey Bear posted:

A couple of questions regarding FMW back in the early days.

1. Who was Beast the Barbarian? I can't seem to find any information regarding this guy outside his run in FMW.

2. Who was Jerry Blayman? I'm assuming he was a student of Masashi Aoyagi, but there isn't anything I can find on him either.
Beast the Barbarian: no information online that I can find, you'd probably need to find a picture to see if he can be identified. If he was anyone relevant I imagine it would be known. Ditto Blayman.

Are you trying to see if they went on to bigger and better things, or are you actually interested in them?

Whitey Bear
Nov 29, 2006

The Streetwise Pimp

Ditch posted:

Beast the Barbarian: no information online that I can find, you'd probably need to find a picture to see if he can be identified. If he was anyone relevant I imagine it would be known. Ditto Blayman.

Are you trying to see if they went on to bigger and better things, or are you actually interested in them?

I am compiling info for a college project, and FMW was one of the promotions I was covering.

I have seen footage of Jerry Blayman in action at a 12/10/89 FMW event, where he teamed with he teamed with Mitsuhiro Matsunaga against Atsushi Onita and Tarzan Goto in the main event, and he and Matsunaga are both wearing gi's and compete using identical styles. Since Matsunaga was a student Aoyagi, I am assuming Blayman must be as well.

As for Beast the Barbarian, he competed in FMW from January to April of 1990, but I don't know if any footage of him exists, nor have I found any evidence he competed anywhere else. I also can't seem to track down any footage of him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All I got for Beast:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMW_Brass_Knuckles_Heavyweight_Championship

minimal info on Blayman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuhiro_Matsunaga

Carl Smoky
Feb 25, 2006
I'm not sure if it's right, but the Japanese Wiki for Matsunaga says that the person he teamed up with in the first Japanese barbed wire match is Jerry Flynn (it calls him Jerry Breneman though, not Gary Blayman like the english one). If that really is the same guy, he wrestled in WCW in the late 90s.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Low Ki seems to be a New Japan regular now. Not only is he on their next tour, but they've put him in a stable.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
New Japan has two cards coming up that has matches I know I want to see:

NJPW, 1/27/08 (SXW)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Black Cat Memorial Tag: Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask & Mitsuhide Hirasawa vs. Takashi Iizuka, El Samurai & Yujiro
2. Masahiro Chono, Super Strong Machine, Jushin Thunder Liger & AKIRA vs. Jado, Gedo, Tomohiro Ishii & Tomoaki Honma
3. Riki Choshu & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Togi Makabe & Toru Yano
4. Koji Kanemoto & Tetsuya Naito vs. Masato Tanaka & Ikuto Hidaka
5. Yuji Nagata & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Hirooki Goto
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Dick Togo & TAKA Michinoku (c) vs. Minoru & Prince Devitt
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Wataru Inoue (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

NJPW, 2/17/08 (WPW/PPV)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. Never Gonna Stop!: Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto
2. New Japan vs. TNA - The Highflying Star vs. The Phenomenal 2nd: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles
3. IWGP Tag Team Title: Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko (c) vs. Togi Makabe & Toru Yano
4. IWGP Heavyweight Title Unification Match - IWGP 2nd vs. IWGP 3rd: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Kurt Angle (c)

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
17 Jan 2008 Dragon Gate - 1/17 WrestleJAM

1/17/2008 Tochigi, Utsumiya Tochigi-ken Sougou Bunka Center
1. Yasushi Kanda{W}, Genki Horiguchi, Gamma (10:18 Low Blow->Small Package Hold) Ryo Saito, Anthony W. Mori, Human Tornado{L}

Balls of steel didn't make the trip over to Japan, I see.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
BLASPHEMY

drat YOU JAPAN AND YOUR OVERLY RIGID CUSTOM LAWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Athius posted:

Christ, I just bought "streamer seat" tickets for the UK NOAH show. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to handle it.

Sadly, there is no card yet, unless I am mistaken.

I take it that these are going to be front-row equivalents, yeah? I'm about to buy for me and my girlfriend and I want to be sure before I lay down a ton. EDIT: Sod it, just bought a pair - Here's hoping it's not a stinker, huh? :)

EDIT2: Since it seems that Misawa and Kobayashi are scheduled to be there I feel like I should learn a bit more - aside from Joe/Kobashi and GBHVI I've seen little of either other than anecdotes and a few videos. Most interestingly I note that mid 90's MOTY and MOTYC seemed to be dominated between their matches. Is there a DVD set/product that features these, or am I in the region of fan traded tapes/etc. ?

Secondly, I gather that Kawada and Akiyama were prominent then too - so I'm not altogether concerned if it's an event DVD or compilation that involves them too.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 18, 2008