Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Parachute Underwear posted:

I'd rather buy from a brick-and-mortar record shop than ordering from Amazon, though. I guess I like to be responsible for my own gently caress-ups.

I don't understand what this means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Anyone know a good, no-nonsense punk/crust/metal/hardcore radio stream? Most punk streams I've ever come across seem to mostly play crapola, sadly enough.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007
Uh, I didn't realize Off Minor was around for that long, or was that popular.

I saw them play, and I know two of the guys (well, not personally, they are in Yo Man, Go!).

I feel like an idiot.

Agent Bob fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 16, 2008

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Inspector_71 posted:

I don't understand what this means.

If it breaks, it's my fault, not whoever is in charge of shipping. I guess it doesn't matter with CDs, but for vinyl, I always use online ordering as a last resort. Mostly since our local record shop usually will order for me anyway if I ask them to. :)

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

If it breaks, it's my fault, not whoever is in charge of shipping. I guess it doesn't matter with CDs, but for vinyl, I always use online ordering as a last resort. Mostly since our local record shop usually will order for me anyway if I ask them to. :)

In the past 7 years I've mailordered at least 700 records. Only one of them ever arrived broken.

King Kolostomy
Nov 11, 2004

Ramallah is the gayest, cheesiest, most nu-metal inspired "hardcore" ever.

And I love it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh, alright. I thought that's what you may have meant, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't some misguided stand against Amazon for some reason.

Much like Chaos though, I've ordered tons of vinyl both from distros and eBay and none of them have been damaged in shipping.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
The huge lack of record stores around here has caused me to resort to purchasing almost solely online. A few hundred records have gotten to me in the mail over the last few months with no problems at all. Just adding to the "ordering online is fine" sentiment.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

I've seen Minor Threat and Embrace vinyls at my local record shop, so I assume there are CD versions available too.

Actually, what I'm hoping on finding is 7"s of these bands. I have the Minor Threat First Demo Tape 7". I want to get the Salad Days 7". My local record shop doesn't have much punk/hardcore that I recognize, but I might take another trip now that I'm aware of Embrace and Angry Samoans. I don't remember them having any of the other bands that were suggested.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Mr. DNA posted:

Actually, what I'm hoping on finding is 7"s of these bands. I have the Minor Threat First Demo Tape 7". I want to get the Salad Days 7". My local record shop doesn't have much punk/hardcore that I recognize, but I might take another trip now that I'm aware of Embrace and Angry Samoans. I don't remember them having any of the other bands that were suggested.

Hope you have a couple hundred bucks to spare. You'll need it to get the first two Minor Threat 7"s.

Edit: HOLY gently caress, SYSTEMATIC DEATH IS PLAYING FOUR SHOWS IN THE USA WITH TRAGEDY IN MAY. MY DICK HAS EXPLODED FROM EXCITEMENT.

ChaosNonMusica fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2008

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.

King Kolostomy posted:

Ramallah is the gayest, cheesiest, most nu-metal inspired "hardcore" ever.

And I love it.

I disagree quite a bit and I've gotten into this argument plenty of times here. The only song that could even come close to falling under "numetal" is Blood Runs Cold, which I feel is one of the weakest songs on the record. Every song off the EP is heavy and confrontational, and all the new stuff ranges from metal tinged to a loving Beatles cover that sounds like Sinners & Saints. I just feel Kill a Celebrity came out at a time where very few hardcore bands had something to say about the state of the country and the world, and Ramallah was just so in your face about it, that I loved it. It wasn't very cheesy to me, it was real. And angry. Really angry.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Hope you have a couple hundred bucks to spare. You'll need it to get the first two Minor Threat 7"s.

Edit: HOLY gently caress, SYSTEMATIC DEATH IS PLAYING FOUR SHOWS IN THE USA WITH TRAGEDY IN MAY. MY DICK HAS EXPLODED FROM EXCITEMENT.

Got the tour schedule?

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Got the tour schedule?

http://prankrecords.blogspot.com/2008/01/tragedy-systematic-death-us-shows.html

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
Weaaaaaaak where's the California shows brah?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

OH gently caress. Guess who's seeing both PDX shows. Riiiiight here.

King Kolostomy
Nov 11, 2004

Dillinger posted:

I disagree quite a bit and I've gotten into this argument plenty of times here. The only song that could even come close to falling under "numetal" is Blood Runs Cold, which I feel is one of the weakest songs on the record. Every song off the EP is heavy and confrontational, and all the new stuff ranges from metal tinged to a loving Beatles cover that sounds like Sinners & Saints. I just feel Kill a Celebrity came out at a time where very few hardcore bands had something to say about the state of the country and the world, and Ramallah was just so in your face about it, that I loved it. It wasn't very cheesy to me, it was real. And angry. Really angry.

Yeah I still like it. It's like Hatebreed, the poo poo is incredibly lame but it gets me pumped!

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me
what is it with japanese bands coming out here and only playing 3 or 4 shows and then going home?

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Built for Brutality posted:

what is it with japanese bands coming out here and only playing 3 or 4 shows and then going home?

The reason I always hear is that most jobs in Japan allow very very little time off.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Tragedy is good, beyond just the surface Botch worship.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

THE LUMMOX posted:

You're melting my brain here, is there another band named Tragedy or perhaps another band named Botch?

Japanese bands don't always draw a huge crowd everywhere, compared to us their touring networks are much tighter. Hard keeping them afloat with lovely shows people don't turn up to. I heard the Age tour totally slayed, kinda wish I had gone to Texas. West coast usually lucks out in that regard although the recent Forward/Warhead tour was really nice, saw them twice.

Homostupids is tomorrow, Bludwulf/Pigsticker/Midnight/Rot poo poo is playing Cleveland on friday.. saturday Homostupids are playing Milwaukee and Rot poo poo is playing here. Busy weekend!

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 17, 2008

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Agent Bob posted:

Uh, I didn't realize Off Minor was around for that long, or was that popular.

I saw them play, and I know two of the guys (well, not personally, they are in Yo Man, Go!).

I feel like an idiot.

What without appreciating.

They are pretty much the best band. The best band.

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me

THE LUMMOX posted:

What Botch/Tragedy records are you listening to that makes them sound even remotely the same?

I just get bummed when Japanese bands skip the west coast and go to the east coast. We are closer god dammit. I remember last time Total Fury played the west coast they flew out for 4 days and played just 3 shows and went back home. I think that Charm/U.G. Man tour was the longest tour of Japanese bands in the US I have seen in a long time.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
I'm also getting stoked about Limp Wrist up in PDX on the 8th of February. Hell yes!

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007
HAH! I got two Scholastic Deth 7" (Shackle Me Not! and Revenge of the Nerds). I already have the discog, so it's not like I don't like the songs already. It's cool to have, though.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Built for Brutality posted:

I just get bummed when Japanese bands skip the west coast and go to the east coast. We are closer god dammit. I remember last time Total Fury played the west coast they flew out for 4 days and played just 3 shows and went back home. I think that Charm/U.G. Man tour was the longest tour of Japanese bands in the US I have seen in a long time.

I never understand people on the west coast who complain about stuff like this. As is my understanding, California has tons of great local bands that play all the time. Do you know what the last show I went to where I live (Michigan) was? Bloody Phoenix. That was in loving AUGUST. I mean, everyone wants to see Japanese bands, so that's really a moot point, but at least you guys have a decent local scene.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

ChaosNonMusica posted:

I never understand people on the west coast who complain about stuff like this. As is my understanding, California has tons of great local bands that play all the time. Do you know what the last show I went to where I live (Michigan) was? Bloody Phoenix. That was in loving AUGUST. I mean, everyone wants to see Japanese bands, so that's really a moot point, but at least you guys have a decent local scene.

Breakfast came here, but we usually get good touring bands. So uh, yeah.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Agent Bob posted:

Breakfast came here, but we usually get good touring bands. So uh, yeah.

I'm not saying Japanese bands NEVER come here, but for someone who's local scene alone rivals the quantity of touring bands that come around here, for them to complain about a touring/foreign band skipping their area comes off to me as almost spoiled. California has bands like Strung Up, Deadfall, Capitalist Casualties, Born/Dead, Despise You, Lack Of Interest, California Love, etc etc. Detroit has the Bill Bondsmen. Yippie.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

Arson Equity posted:

You're melting my brain here, is there another band named Tragedy or perhaps another band named Botch?

Japanese bands don't always draw a huge crowd everywhere, compared to us their touring networks are much tighter. Hard keeping them afloat with lovely shows people don't turn up to. I heard the Age tour totally slayed, kinda wish I had gone to Texas. West coast usually lucks out in that regard although the recent Forward/Warhead tour was really nice, saw them twice.

Homostupids is tomorrow, Bludwulf/Pigsticker/Midnight/Rot poo poo is playing Cleveland on friday.. saturday Homostupids are playing Milwaukee and Rot poo poo is playing here. Busy weekend!

Yeah, I was wondering the same about Botch/Tragedy, haha.

I saw Age with Hellshock at Gilman and it was out of control goodness. Discharge patches everywhere!

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
gently caress ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS IS PLAYING THE U.S. AND I CANT MAKE IT TO ANY OF THE SHOWS. I will now go hang myself.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

ChaosNonMusica posted:

I'm not saying Japanese bands NEVER come here, but for someone who's local scene alone rivals the quantity of touring bands that come around here, for them to complain about a touring/foreign band skipping their area comes off to me as almost spoiled. California has bands like Strung Up, Deadfall, Capitalist Casualties, Born/Dead, Despise You, Lack Of Interest, California Love, etc etc. Detroit has the Bill Bondsmen. Yippie.

I'm on the East coast, so I was bolstering your argument.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Agent Bob posted:

I'm on the East coast, so I was bolstering your argument.

Well then...thank you.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Well... we do want to see Japanese bands too! Honestly I think there's a lot to be said about the smaller punk communities in the midwest - I'd rather be at a basement show than a bar any day, which is pretty much where you're going to see a band of any notoriety in California.

I did manage to see Witch Hunt in a really small living room my first weekend living here (in addition to seeing them in a club with the Subhumans two days prior) that was pretty ridiculous. House/DIY shows happen out here but not as much. Not complaining, but there are definitely recognizable perks to the smaller punk communities of the midwest.

I really like places on the East Coast like Philly/Baltimore/Richmond from what I've seen - very DIY/house oriented and crust-as-gently caress.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Well... we do want to see Japanese bands too! Honestly I think there's a lot to be said about the smaller punk communities in the midwest - I'd rather be at a basement show than a bar any day, which is pretty much where you're going to see a band of any notoriety in California.

I did manage to see Witch Hunt in a really small living room my first weekend living here (in addition to seeing them in a club with the Subhumans two days prior) that was pretty ridiculous. House/DIY shows happen out here but not as much. Not complaining, but there are definitely recognizable perks to the smaller punk communities of the midwest.

I really like places on the East Coast like Philly/Baltimore/Richmond from what I've seen - very DIY/house oriented and crust-as-gently caress.

Speaking about Michigan alone: It sucks here. For example, going back to the Bloody Phoenix show I mentioned; The only reason it was a relative "sucess" was because my friends and I roped people we know, who have no interest in punk whatsoever, into coming out just so BP didn't have to play in front of 5 people. Not counting the opening bands (one of which I was in), there were maybe 25 people there. 20 of which had never heard of DIY punk, let alone BP, plus 5 punks. We promoted this show for months, and still no one gave a poo poo. It's not like BP is unknown either, I heard about other shows on their tour that were packed.

So basically my point is: smaller punk communities in the midwest are great, but non-existent communities is more like it, at least here.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Speaking about Michigan alone: It sucks here. For example, going back to the Bloody Phoenix show I mentioned; The only reason it was a relative "sucess" was because my friends and I roped people we know, who have no interest in punk whatsoever, into coming out just so BP didn't have to play in front of 5 people. Not counting the opening bands (one of which I was in), there were maybe 25 people there. 20 of which had never heard of DIY punk, let alone BP, plus 5 punks. We promoted this show for months, and still no one gave a poo poo. It's not like BP is unknown either, I heard about other shows on their tour that were packed.

So basically my point is: smaller punk communities in the midwest are great, but non-existent communities is more like it, at least here.

That's a real shame, what part of Michigan? I've played some shows in some smaller college towns on the East coast that were a blast even though there wasn't much in way of straight up punks. It seems that there are lot of kids in these towns but not necessarily a lot going on so when a show rolls into town they don't care if you're grindcore or folk punk or whatever, they just want to listen to music and get wild.

One of my favorite shows I've played was somewhere in Delaware that was basically a house party with a bunch of weirdo bands playing - hardcore punk, metal, pop punk and then some band playing Cream/Toadies covers.

I really like the variety that California has to offer, but there is something to be said about small town punk communities with a bunch of kids who don't give a gently caress.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
Oh yeah, can anyone recommend anything in the vein of Breed/Extinction? They are one of my favorite bands but only have one EP that really stands out before they broke up. They released a split and 7" of pretty typical hardcore and then released an insanely good EP just prior to breaking up.

I know some of the dudes are in Thieves but the sound is pretty different.

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me

ChaosNonMusica posted:

I am not complaining about the lack of incredible bands we have here and I am super happy to live in the Bay Area where we have a great amount of great bands. I just want Japanese bands to not skip over us. I guess I shouldn't complain about not seeing those bands when we have our own great bands.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

I like where I live American bands skip it and Japanese bands skip it and it's on the West Coast.

Pacific though, the best ocean.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
Annoying thing in the UK is when bands don't make it over the channel due to the cost/work permits/border checks/etc. Especially with South American bands - only found out I Shot Cyrus were in Europe about three days before they were playing Holland/Belgium and couldn't get over there.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

MattWPBS posted:

Annoying thing in the UK is when bands don't make it over the channel due to the cost/work permits/border checks/etc. Especially with South American bands - only found out I Shot Cyrus were in Europe about three days before they were playing Holland/Belgium and couldn't get over there.

I'd trade you there's a lot of bands I like in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
If you're in driving distance of Milwaukee I advise thee to get the gently caress there. Its a huge show that starts around 4, Homostupids are on around 8 or so. Probably the only time you'll see them outside Cleveland. Their two tours so far have been

1) Toronto, then home
2) Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, then home

They probably aren't coming out again anytime soon. Alessandro from Out With A Bang is with them headbutting everything that moves.