Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Aegri Somnia posted:

^Awesome, thanks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WqX1W5_685w

for the record too, Nathan Larson is Nina Perrson's husband and was also the incredible guitar player for "Pony Express Record"-era Shudder To Think and he has put out quite a bit of incredible soundtrack music since then -- if you like that song, you should track down the Shudder album "First Love, Last Rites", which was all soundtrack music for an independent film and has a real similar feel (but no Nina)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

Bolkovr posted:

I don't have the movie or the soundtrack handy, but IIRC he plays "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" by Skip James at that point.

Thankyou! That's the one. This Chris Thomas King guy looks interesting too.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm looking for a particular goon-made album that consists entirely of instrumental hard rock. The intro track is as if the listener is at a party turning on the cd. The cover art consists of an ambient reddish or orangish light. The creator posted a thread in GBS about his album between 6 months to over a year ago.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 24, 2008

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
There's this song melody I have stuck in my head, but I don't know if it actually came from a song. Here's sheet music for what I'm hearing in my head (100 BPM, if that helps):

It would've been the verse melody, if it exists.

I've ruled out "Get the Message" by Electronic, "In the Crossfire" by Starsailor, and "Forever" by Goldfrapp. I think what happened was I subconsciously mixed them all into one melody, but I'm not sure. Has anyone heard this before? If not, I'm taking it!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Right, I apologise beforehand for making you watch this awful piece of poo poo.

Whats the bassline thats either sampled or ripped off at the "rap" in around 4:15?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvHaNctk4k

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Three Red Lights posted:

Right, I apologise beforehand for making you watch this awful piece of poo poo.

Whats the bassline thats either sampled or ripped off at the "rap" in around 4:15?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvHaNctk4k

the only thing i recognize it from is that 'lazy sunday' sketch from SNL that parnell and that sandberg kid did

unless that was a jack to begin with, i think that's as close as you're going to come to source material

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Agitate! Agitate! posted:

the only thing i recognize it from is that 'lazy sunday' sketch from SNL that parnell and that sandberg kid did
They made that beat.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Agitate! Agitate! posted:

unless that was a jack to begin with, i think that's as close as you're going to come to source material

Thanks but its not that, the bassline came back into my head today and it was killing me trying to work out what it sounded like. Eventually I realised it was this

Presence
Jul 29, 2006
What's the name of the Aphex Twin song with all the violin in it?

Also, what album is it from?

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Presence posted:

What's the name of the Aphex Twin song with all the violin in it?

Also, what album is it from?

Outside - Kick rear end (Violin Solo)

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster
What is the name of that other popular Led Zeppelin song. uh....

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I was able to figure it out using Songtapper.com

It was the Ocean.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
This is a tough one, because I remember so little, but about a year ago, there was a song on the radio that was a really catchy tune and at some point, perhaps during the chorus, the lyrics mention something related to baseball or being a star or something like that. I haven't owned a radio for years, but did a lot of listening on a road trip around a year ago. I probably heard it 4-5 times in one day. Kind of reminded me of Weezer, or some other kind of late 90s, colorful rock band. If anyone can figure this one out, I dunno, I'll buy you a beer if you're around Boston sometime.

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen

Syjefroi posted:

This is a tough one, because I remember so little, but about a year ago, there was a song on the radio that was a really catchy tune and at some point, perhaps during the chorus, the lyrics mention something related to baseball or being a star or something like that. I haven't owned a radio for years, but did a lot of listening on a road trip around a year ago. I probably heard it 4-5 times in one day. Kind of reminded me of Weezer, or some other kind of late 90s, colorful rock band. If anyone can figure this one out, I dunno, I'll buy you a beer if you're around Boston sometime.

I'm going to take an unlikely stab and say Smashmouth - All Star.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Weezer's "Perfect Situation"?

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Holy poo poo, bingo man. Thanks a ton

yo soy fiesta
Feb 6, 2005

Are you fucking shitting me, dude!?

im looking for a song that begins with some dude confessing his sins to a priest and he talks about how he steals audio equipment and electronics. after his confession the music starts and i do remember that there is a great guitar solo at the end of the song.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
So I've finally gotten around to editing these, so here goes...

I love the Disinformation interview with Genesis P-Orridge. It was what got me listening to Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV. However, the tracks used in the interview yet elude me. I've cut the samples and posted them on Sendspace (is there a better option, or is this good?).

Example 1.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/m2qeeo Psychic TV - "Just Like Arcadia"
Example 1.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/sn679i ditto
Example 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/8x6vs1
Examples 3 and 4.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmnp3j
Example 4.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/qzlu9s
Example 5.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/nymyuj
Example 5.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/5fogc6

This has bugged me for years. Much obliged to anyone who can help me out.

e: One down!

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 1, 2008

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?
I'm looking for a remix of the Kanye West song "The New Workout Plan".

It has a sample of a girl saying "I'm from Alabama and Kanye's song help me lose weight" near the beginning of the track.

I heard it the other night, but can't find it now.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

iamlark posted:

I'm looking for a remix of the Kanye West song "The New Workout Plan".

It has a sample of a girl saying "I'm from Alabama and Kanye's song help me lose weight" near the beginning of the track.

I heard it the other night, but can't find it now.

That's on the College Dropout CD itself... unless the 2004 remaster removed those little bits of dialogue?

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen

Did That on Television posted:

That's on the College Dropout CD itself... unless the 2004 remaster removed those little bits of dialogue?

There was a remix on the bonus CD that came with the College Dropout video DVD, but it definitely doesn't have the female testimonials at the beginning. The original and remaster have them in the same place, near the middle of the song. I'd be inclined to say the remix he's looking for is off a mixtape or some other not-quite-official source.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

Bitch_Aint_1 posted:

There was a remix on the bonus CD that came with the College Dropout video DVD, but it definitely doesn't have the female testimonials at the beginning. The original and remaster have them in the same place, near the middle of the song. I'd be inclined to say the remix he's looking for is off a mixtape or some other not-quite-official source.

Hm. It's very possible that it was a bootleg remix. It seemed to be more of an electro mix as well.

edit: Found it!

Kanye West - Work It Out (Atlantic Connection Remix)

It was on palmsout - remix sunday 91

iamlark fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 28, 2008

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
I'm trying to find the name of that brassy up tempo number that tends to be used in spy movies and chase scenes and the like.

The guys at Whose Line use it during the game "Improbable Mission." Like in this example (Music kicks in around 1:19).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster

Gummy Joe posted:

I'm trying to find the name of that brassy up tempo number that tends to be used in spy movies and chase scenes and the like.

The guys at Whose Line use it during the game "Improbable Mission." Like in this example (Music kicks in around 1:19).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know this isn't the exact one, and frankly I think that WLIIA uses a "made up yet similar sounding song" to convey the message and to get around copyright issues.

Benny Goodman - Sing, Sing, Sing

Also, another popularly used Big Band song:

Glenn Miller - In The Mood

Aegri Somnia fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 28, 2008

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
I'm sure I've heard this song elsewhere besides WLIIA, so I don't believe it's a WLIIA-specific song. I'm fairly certain its been used in advertisements, among other places.

"Sing Sing Sing" and "In The Mood" are great songs anyway though. :cheers:

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
What's the name of this song, the song that is always used to mean "Italy":

(writing out music in MSPaint sucks)

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Bolkovr posted:

What's the name of this song, the song that is always used to mean "Italy":

(writing out music in MSPaint sucks)

I'm pretty sure it's a piece called "Tarantella Siciliana." somebody asked about it earlier in the thread and I finally found it on youtube after 2-3 days of searching, but I'm not about to do that again, lol.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

This is a tough one, and I'd be surprised if anyone can find it. I know what it is that I am looking for, I just cannot seem to be able to locate an actual recording/mp3/etc., of the track.

On the show "Unsolved Mysteries", there was this awesome closing theme. It was changed to a more lame one after the first few seasons, but the closing theme was this eerie piano/fretless bass/synthesizer tune and it was pretty loving rad.

I can locate the opening theme, but I can't locate the closing one. If anyone can actually find this, or even knows what the hell I'm talking about, you will have my eternal gratitude.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Thermos H. Christ posted:

This is a tough one, and I'd be surprised if anyone can find it. I know what it is that I am looking for, I just cannot seem to be able to locate an actual recording/mp3/etc., of the track.

On the show "Unsolved Mysteries", there was this awesome closing theme. It was changed to a more lame one after the first few seasons, but the closing theme was this eerie piano/fretless bass/synthesizer tune and it was pretty loving rad.

I can locate the opening theme, but I can't locate the closing one. If anyone can actually find this, or even knows what the hell I'm talking about, you will have my eternal gratitude.

the authors of the opening tune are Michael Boyd and Gary Remal Malkin, i'm still googling my way around but you might have luck with that

is this it? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGvJLye_qY about 8:30 in, im thinking this the later "lame" version

PissFilledCumBubble fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2008

Mukwag
May 15, 2007

bang bang

Halloween 1931 posted:

This is going to be really vague, but I just heard a snippet of this song and I couldn't hear the lyrics very well. It sounded like an indie rock song, and the only thing I got was some kind of repeated chorus like:
"I wanna hear your sunrise"

I heard this in a Heritage 1981 store today, and I can't find it from any search of that lyric.

I remembered more of this, so if this sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know.

The lyrics were hard to hear because of the way the guy was singing. Another lyric was something like "You can take a million years out of my head" or something similar.

There was some kind of clapping beat rhythm.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween 1931 posted:

I remembered more of this, so if this sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know.

The lyrics were hard to hear because of the way the guy was singing. Another lyric was something like "You can take a million years out of my head" or something similar.

There was some kind of clapping beat rhythm.

Pulp - I Love Life?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Theres one thats been bugging me for years...

Around the middle of the song the music kinda faded out/ended and there was a sample played of a women saying "I called the police, i really did!". Its become a total paino in my rear end. I know its from something mid-90's, or at least the compilation album with it on was, but i;m pretty sure it was a yearly-edition thing.

Stuff on the album was mostly stuff like "Run DMC Vs Jason Nevis - Its like that" and other.. erm, bassy clubish music, for lack of description.

I always hoped that knowing the sample of "I called the police, I really did!" would help me find the song one day... oh, also a sample played throughout the song sounded like my old washing machine, but i guess thats of little help...

EDIT, It may have has "Ooh la la - The wiseguys" on the same album, as it was possibly of similar theme.

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 29, 2008

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

is this it? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uZGvJLye_qY about 8:30 in, im thinking this the later "lame" version

Yeah, that's the lame version, but thanks for the tips on the composers and youtube. That definitely gives me some leads. :)

Mbwuto
Dec 1, 2006
When I worked a Target during and just after high school there was a music video that was in rotation on Target TV for a couple months. All I remember is that the band name vaguely seems to have started or had a W in it.

The real meat was the music video. It was shot on a beach or a beach like setting with a girl in a coconut bra. I seem to remember a co working telling me it was a band member in drag. This would have been around 2000-2001. Very pop.

EDIT: I tracked it down using "Teenage Dirtbag" as a song to revolve the search around. It was Fa Fa by Guster and the girl is most certainly not in drag, and she certainly made my pickle tingle.

Mbwuto fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This song is so familiar that it's aggravating. It's tagged as Royal Gigolos - Why Did You Do It but that song doesn't seem to be the same.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fwn4jxnuini

Edit: Cranberries - Zombie, a cover by Andrew Spencer & The Vamprockerz, but can anyone pin down the specific mix?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 30, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

pill for your ills posted:

So I've finally gotten around to editing these, so here goes...

I love the Disinformation interview with Genesis P-Orridge. It was what got me listening to Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV. However, the tracks used in the interview yet elude me. I've cut the samples and posted them on Sendspace (is there a better option, or is this good?).

Example 1.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/m2qeeo
Example 1.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/sn679i
Example 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/8x6vs1
Examples 3 and 4.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmnp3j
Example 4.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/qzlu9s
Example 5.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/nymyuj
Example 5.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/5fogc6

This has bugged me for years. Much obliged to anyone who can help me out.

#1 is Psychic TV - "Just Like Arcadia"

UnL337
Jan 10, 2007
Thinking is for squares.
I'm looking for a song that my dad told me about that had something to do with John Lennon. He said that he bought a John Lennon album, and it was the last one that he ever bought because he thought it sucked. He mentioned one song in particular. It was a song in which Lennon strummed a guitar cord and screamed, "WELL!" Afterwards, he strummed again and repeated. Dad said that at the end of the song, Lennon's voice was raspy from yelling so hard.

I know it's not "Well, Well, Well". Does anyone know what it is?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

UnL337 posted:

I'm looking for a song that my dad told me about that had something to do with John Lennon. He said that he bought a John Lennon album, and it was the last one that he ever bought because he thought it sucked. He mentioned one song in particular. It was a song in which Lennon strummed a guitar cord and screamed, "WELL!" Afterwards, he strummed again and repeated. Dad said that at the end of the song, Lennon's voice was raspy from yelling so hard.

I know it's not "Well, Well, Well". Does anyone know what it is?

The only Lennon song I can think of that ends with him screaming is "Mother" from the Plastic Ono Band record -- it ends with a section of him repeating "Mama don't go / Daddy come home" and by the end he is pretty much bawling. It doesn't have the word "well" featured prominently in it but is on the same record as "Well, Well, Well". Is that it?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
What is the name of the song in the episode of Scrubs where everyone tries to ask Dr. Kelso for a favour because it's his anniversary, and he can't refuse anybody's requests? It's the one played when he comes in in a good mood and dances around. It sounds kind of like Mambo Italiano, I think.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

chachu posted:

What is the name of the song in the episode of Scrubs where everyone tries to ask Dr. Kelso for a favour because it's his anniversary, and he can't refuse anybody's requests? It's the one played when he comes in in a good mood and dances around. It sounds kind of like Mambo Italiano, I think.

These are the songs from that episode, see if any of them are it.

"In The Mood" by The Glenn Miller Orchestra
"What A Difference A Day Makes" by Dinah Washington
"Caught by the River" by The Doves
"Drowned" by The Poor Rich Ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
The song I'm thinking of was real popular in the mid ninety's. The only lyrics i can remember are something like "we left the children in the middle of the night" and then something about going to a place were the streets are paved in gold, and for some reason the beggining instrumental part of Hotel California always reminded me of it.