Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

For some reason I cannot ping other computers by their hostname on my local network at home when logged into my CentOS 5.1 testbox via SSH, which is present on the same local network. I can ping them by their IP addresses just fine and I can ping websites without incident.

Windows XP Pro workstation: tater (192.168.0.3)
CentOS testbox: testbox-centos (192.168.0.5)

When logged into the CentOS testbox, pinging tater yields the message "ping: unknown host tater" but I can ping it by IP address just fine. When I type "ping testbox-centos" into a command prompt in Windows, the following is instantly spat out:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mr. Durp>ping testbox-centos

Pinging testbox-centos [192.168.0.5] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=-9ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = -9ms, Maximum = -9ms, Average = 1073741815ms

I love it when packets go back in time. Anyway, I've been looking into this for a while and given how apparently one of 87 things could be causing this, I've started to get discouraged. Hopefully I didn't miss something because everything seems to check out on my CentOS box.

/etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search tx.rr.com
nameserver 192.168.0.1

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:30:1B:AD:F7:80
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=testbox-centos

vi /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=testbox-centos

I also cannot ping a Fedora 8 VM by its hostname from the CentOS box and vice-versa, but by IP it works. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
I believe this is your answer.

quote:

If you use Debian or Ubuntu, do yourself a favour. Run this command:

apt-get install winbind

Then edit your /etc/nsswitch.conf and change the line that looks like this:

hosts: files dns

To this:

hosts: files dns wins

Now even if your computer is on a network with fantastically stupid DNS, you can be happy like Windows users already are: your programs will do broadcast/wins lookups to find a hostname if it's not found in DNS.

(I had a really hard time finding out from google how to do this, so if you'll forgive me some redundancy: winbindd is part of samba. It can use WINS for hostname lookups (to augment or replace DNS). It provides nss_wins (libnss_wins) for NSS. It finds Windows hostnames automatically using samba on your Linux system.)

I don't know what the CentOS equivalent of the "winbind" package is - maybe you'll be lucky and it's even named the same thing - but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

What type of router do you have CHEF!!!? A SOHO router might be able to handle this. For example, DD-WRT and DNSMasq would work for this (I have no idea if stock Linksys/Buffalo, etc. firmware can do DNSMasq). You can set the router to be the DHCP server, have it use DNSMasq and set up static mappings on the router. This way it only has to be managed in one place. In a nutshell, DNSMasq on the router will serve your static list of hosts to the resolvers on the machines in the network.

Of course this is all useless if you are in an environment that can't support it.

Edit: A not elegant solution would be to configure the hosts file on all machines with the proper mappings.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2008

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you
FreeNX is fantastic in that it lets me have a usable remote desktop over my slow-upload DSL connection, but I'm having some issues with it. First, from the Googling I've done, it seems like it's not possible to attach to an X session that's in progress, a la Windows Remote Desktop. Also, while I can tunnel VNC over NX, one of the primary advantages (for me) is taken away, namely the ability to run the session at an arbitrary (smaller) resolution.

If anyone has a solution to either of those issues or has a better suggestion, lay it on me. Otherwise, tell me how to use FreeNX effectively.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Every time I shut down my computer without disconnecting FreeNX, next time I connect to that host I get a session list with the option to resume or terminate a running session. I usually just terminate, but I'm pretty sure resuming worked when I tried it.

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

JoeNotCharles posted:

Every time I shut down my computer without disconnecting FreeNX, next time I connect to that host I get a session list with the option to resume or terminate a running session. I usually just terminate, but I'm pretty sure resuming worked when I tried it.

Yeah, this works for me too, but what I would really like to do is be able to keep my stuff running (IRC client, Pidgin, other stuff) on my main display and attach the FreeNX client to it. Unfortunately I guess that isn't possible.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

fatcat posted:

Yeah, this works for me too, but what I would really like to do is be able to keep my stuff running (IRC client, Pidgin, other stuff) on my main display and attach the FreeNX client to it. Unfortunately I guess that isn't possible.

Oh, I see. You could FreeNX to localhost.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
What are people's opinions on running a software RAID 5 on Linux with mdadm? I'm building a new server after my current file server is marching towards deaths door and my web/misc server is now the oldest PC in the house.

Most things I've read either indicate it's all good, others say I'll get data corruption.

Finally, what would be an appropriate filesystem for this new raid drive? I always used to use reiserfs on all my HDDs, would it be suitable? I'm looking to virtualise all my servers, so it's gotta be suitable to store large vmware images on it.

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.
If you're interested in learning something new, you can use solaris or freebsd7.0 and use ZFS, which does all the good things about RAID-5 without any of the bad stuff. Only thing it doesn't do is online capacity expansion, which sucks, and might be a deal breaker.

(I :love: ZFS)

Otherwise, software raid-5 with mdadm seems pretty reliable, and modern processors can do parity with no effort, you just have your normal RAID-5 drawbacks.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

I posted this over on the Ubuntu forums, but no one seems to have been able to help me yet, so maybe you guys can. I'm having some trouble with my ipod, see. Last night when I went to update it with Amarok, for some reason, it couldn't connect to my ipod. So I tried messing around with Amarok's settings for it, but to no avail. However, now when I plug my ipod in, it gives me this error:
Cannot mount volume
mount_point cannot contain the following character: newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR (usually /)

It sounds simple enough, but I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Sounds like your ipod's been renamed to something that has either a newline or a / in the name.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

Well no poo poo. I need to know how to change it is the thing. And also figure out why Amarok won't connect to it once it's mounted.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Is it possible to get a Logitech G15 to display HDD, CPU, and GPU temperatures?

I am thinking of getting one, but wanted to make sure it is possible to do this.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Ozean posted:

It sounds simple enough, but I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

mlabel in the mtools package would let you set a new VFAT partition label.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
So I did df -h before deleting 88gb of files, and the same after. It is only reporting 35gb more free space? I have never noticed anything like this before. I recently switched from an XFS format to ext3. Is it doesn't something weird I don't know about?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

So I did df -h before deleting 88gb of files, and the same after. It is only reporting 35gb more free space? I have never noticed anything like this before. I recently switched from an XFS format to ext3. Is it doesn't something weird I don't know about?

no clue on FS differenes, hard links in other directories to the files you deleted?

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

covener posted:

mlabel in the mtools package would let you set a new VFAT partition label.

Cool. How do I do that?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Ozean posted:

Cool. How do I do that?

You need more then the name of the command and the package that provides it?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

TheHeadSage posted:

Finally, what would be an appropriate filesystem for this new raid drive? I always used to use reiserfs on all my HDDs, would it be suitable? I'm looking to virtualise all my servers, so it's gotta be suitable to store large vmware images on it.
The best way to do tjis is to assign the VMs one or more LVM volumes, You can also do cool stuff like using LVM copy-on-write snapshots to save disk space.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

covener posted:

You need more then the name of the command and the package that provides it?

Well I got the mtools packeage, but I don't know how to use mlabel.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

Ozean posted:

Well I got the mtools packeage, but I don't know how to use mlabel.

Type this into a terminal:
code:
man man
Alternatively, learn how to search.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

EDIT: Look below for my question.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

I have a hosting account on Site5, which only allows a single shell user. I want to have multiple logins to a SVN repository, so I don't have to give out my user's password. I tried following various instructions to allow this, and they seem to work on the SVN side. I have an ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file that looks something like this:

code:
command="/usr/bin/svnserve -t -r /home/host_user/svn --tunnel-user=svn_user" ssh-rsa  AAA...== user@computer
I can now checkout code without providing a password, and all that good stuff—the problem is, when I try SSHing into the server, I get

code:
( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS EXTERNAL ) ( edit-pipeline svndiff1 absent-entries ) ) ) 
Is there any way to allow 'user@computer' to not only use the repository, but SSH in regularly also?

LarryLevan
Jul 25, 2004
Everybody wants to be.. bourgie bourgie
I'm planning to use xming and Redhat/openSuSE to make XWindows apps usable by software engineers running VisualStudio/XP Pro. Google xming if you aren't familiar with what it does. It's fixing to be a hugely beneficial thing where I work, keeping us (overworked IT department) from having to maintain Redhat boxes for 45+ yr old engineers who haven't used any kind of Unix since their college days. I am very curious to hear folks' experience with xming, if any in this thread have. When I threw one of our QA guys on an xming-driven XWindows session (my XP box), he reported that the apps in question behaved as expected. Below are the specs for the boxes involved initially:

xming box (my primary workstation): athlon 1800+, 2gb, xp pro, gbit lan
redhat box (typical linux box): p4 2.4-3.0, 1-2gb ram, gbit lan

The XWindows app that will get the most play is network driven and allows for federation with other similar systems using the HLA protocol. It can be a pretty busy application when a lot is going on. My testing thus far is limited (but promising), and we will have an opportunity for the team to bang on it next week. If anyone has done anything remotely similar with xming, could you please share some details about your experience (specs of machines, memory/cpu utilization on both ends, apps involved)?

Supernaut
Jan 14, 2001
I ain't hardly a dorkus.

TheHeadSage posted:

What are people's opinions on running a software RAID 5 on Linux with mdadm? I'm building a new server after my current file server is marching towards deaths door and my web/misc server is now the oldest PC in the house.

I did this for a year on my Athlon 64 computer, using the onboard Sil3114 controller and (4) 320GB drives. I didn't have any problems/corruption. I would suggest the XFS file system, since it preserves the most free space and is fast and stable: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

The general sentiment is that XFS is best for large files, and ReiserFS is best for lots of files.

Also, you may want to look into a few tweaks for your filesystem when you create it. According to this,

quote:

The best combination of options appears to be a XFS filesystem created with the default 45 allocation groups, but a 64 megabyte log, and mounted with 8 log buffers, and atime disabled (mount -o noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8)
code:
          Sequential Output                Sequential Input
          Char       Block      Rewrite    Char       Block
Standard  8950(99%)  49915(40%) 14142(15%) 8938(97%)  41418(26%)
Tweaked   8936(99%)  53158(42%) 15079(17%) 8923(97%)  41401(25%)

RndSeeks   Sequential Create           Random Create
                     Create   Read     Delete    Create   Read    Delete
Standard  232.1(2%)  369(25%) 270(14%) 1695(51%) 362(25%) 57(2%)  340(12%)
Tweaked   237.5(2%)  437(32%) 275(13%) 2331(87%) 396(29%) 63(3%)  872(35%)

The percentages are CPU usage.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 26, 2008

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just got an n810 as a gift and I am really digging it so far. Couple of things - how do I set up a media server on my pc that will stream stuff to the nokia with media streamer and how to I setup remote desktop?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jesus loving tits is there ANY way to remove middle-click paste across all appliations? This is the single most retarded feature I've ever seen. I'm tired of scrolling in a document, accidently pressing a bit too hard, and not noticing the change. All of a sudden compiler errors! Or my resume suddenly has code in the middle of it from 10 edits ago that I can't really undo now!

I'm ready to do just about anything to make this feature go away and die a horrible death behind a shed.

The only solution I can think of is disabling middle clicking entirely in xorg.conf. Is there a better solution?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Jesus loving tits is there ANY way to remove middle-click paste across all appliations? This is the single most retarded feature I've ever seen. I'm tired of scrolling in a document, accidently pressing a bit too hard, and not noticing the change. All of a sudden compiler errors! Or my resume suddenly has code in the middle of it from 10 edits ago that I can't really undo now!

I'm ready to do just about anything to make this feature go away and die a horrible death behind a shed.

The only solution I can think of is disabling middle clicking entirely in xorg.conf. Is there a better solution?

Check your window manage settings, but middle-click is really great once you get used to it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I want to format over my Ubuntu drive. Do I have to do anything with Grub first (on the Ubuntu drive), or will booting go back to the way it was if I go right ahead and format?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hooah posted:

I want to format over my Ubuntu drive. Do I have to do anything with Grub first (on the Ubuntu drive), or will booting go back to the way it was if I go right ahead and format?
Boot into the Recovery Console from the Windows install CD first, and run fixmbr and fixboot to reinstall the Windows boot loader. If you don't do this, GRUB will try and find grub.conf on a partition you just wiped, and you won't be able to boot poo poo if you haven't memorized "rootnoverify(hd0,0), chainloader +1, boot" or whatever it is.

wait what
Apr 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Mr. Heavy posted:

Boot into the Recovery Console from the Windows install CD first, and run fixmbr and fixboot to reinstall the Windows boot loader. If you don't do this, GRUB will try and find grub.conf on a partition you just wiped, and you won't be able to boot poo poo if you haven't memorized "rootnoverify(hd0,0), chainloader +1, boot" or whatever it is.

You can also do this with the Ubuntu live CD.

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=3340

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WindMinstrel posted:

If you're interested in learning something new, you can use solaris or freebsd7.0 and use ZFS, which does all the good things about RAID-5 without any of the bad stuff. Only thing it doesn't do is online capacity expansion, which sucks, and might be a deal breaker.

(I :love: ZFS)
Some core features are being designed and coded in ZFS that will allow for things like online defragging, restriping, device evacuation and apparently also RAID-Z expansion (at least they're considering it, goes in hand with restriping).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How do I upgrade from PHP 5.1.6 to 5.2.5 on Fedora Core 6?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Toiletbrush posted:

Some core features are being designed and coded in ZFS that will allow for things like online defragging, restriping, device evacuation and apparently also RAID-Z expansion (at least they're considering it, goes in hand with restriping).

I feel really dumb about picking JFS as my filesystem when I installed ubuntu the other day. Is there anything cool jfs can do like that?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

fletcher posted:

How do I upgrade from PHP 5.1.6 to 5.2.5 on Fedora Core 6?
Best approach would be to upgrade to Fedora 8, which will get you to 5.2.4... and Fedora 6 isn't supported any more anyhow.

If you don't want to do that, you could try simply installing the PHP packages from Fedora 8. If those won't install due to dependencies, you could try grabbing the source RPM from Fedora 8 and rebuilding it (rpmbuild --rebuild) to see if that process generates FC6 installable packages.

If that doesn't work, check around some of the web hosting boards... there may very well be some folks maintaining PHP 5.2.x packages for older Fedora systems, as this is frequently an issue with webhosts who don't want to keep doing OS upgrades.

And last, if all else fails, take out the Fedora PHP RPMs altogether and just build your PHP of choice from source.

tripwire posted:

I feel really dumb about picking JFS as my filesystem when I installed ubuntu the other day. Is there anything cool jfs can do like that?
The coolest thing JFS can do that ZFS can't is run under Linux. :) Don't feel dumb... paired with LVM, JFS will serve you very well. Yes, there are some fancy things ZFS can do that no other filesystem can, but as far as day-to-day use goes you should be just fine with what you have.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

tripwire posted:

I have no idea about JFS.

But ZFS for Linux is implemented via FUSE only, due to licensing restrictions. The FUSE port comes with some (rather huge?) performance hits, because a bunch of ZFS subsystems critical to runtime performance have been castrated to different degrees for the sake of integration, and seems to be buggy.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I'm having trouble allowing normal users access to realtime scheduling for my IEEE1394 interface:

code:
toad@toadu:~$ jackd -R -d freebob
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1210148160, from thread -1210148160] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
Note that this works fine if I run it under sudo.

Everything I have read suggests that having the following in /etc/security/limits.conf should help:

code:
*       -        rtprio          99
*       -        memlock         512000
*       -        nice            -19
But it doesn't, does anyone have any other ideas about this?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

toadee posted:

Everything I have read suggests that having the following in /etc/security/limits.conf should help:

But it doesn't, does anyone have any other ideas about this?
Is it possible that your libPAM doesn't support those settings? The audio FAQs I've read seem to indicate that's a possibility...

Also what kernel version are you running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yah, I had read that as well.

I am running 2.6.22-14-generic. However, for reasons I will never understand, after hours upon hours of beating my head against this wall and saying many nasty things, I moved on to another project, installed Squid and set up web SSH tunneling so I can browse unsnooped from work, and now I can magically start jackd in realtime mode as myself. I don't get it either, but I'm also not complaining.