Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Don't think it's a scam, just a car that people think won't sell via CL, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

The engine photos of that thing are amazing. Look at the size of that turbo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Holy motherfucking poo poo. I just noticed the bracket connecting an upper intercooler pipe with the throttle body. How many times it had to blow apart before they decided to resolve to this?

Everything about this car is hard-motherfucking-core.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/car/564305968.html

can someone explain what's going on with those three shift levers there?

if this gets deleted, it's an 84 hurst/olds.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

glyph posted:

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/car/564305968.html

can someone explain what's going on with those three shift levers there?

if this gets deleted, it's an 84 hurst/olds.

quote:

Here's a picture of the Lightning Rods shifters (along with my Kenwood CD player and EQ), and a little clip from the H/O brochure that came with the car detailing the upshift procedure. Downshifting is the same, but backwards. To shift from D to OD (or vice-versa) you have to push the button in. To shift from OD to N the button must be out. From N to R and P the button must be in. This prevents you from going forwards past OD into neutral when manually shifting into fourth. It also works like a normal automatic, I can leave it in OD (or D) and it'll shift like any other car (just a bit firmer, the code OZ tranny on these cars does that).

It's a shifter made for drag racing, basically.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

http://westmd.craigslist.org/car/555298599.html

Absolutely one of the best CL automotive postings in recent memory. Makes me wanna own the car, I wonder if its an automatic. :iiam:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I don't see anything particularly wrong with that Supra posting. I don't know if CL is necessarily the best forum for something that specific, but I guess he also has it posted on all the Supra, Toyota, and Import Drag boards. It does look pretty loving mean, and I love how it's pretty much just all business, appearance wise. I get the feeling that it is a dyno queen, though, just based on the fact that he has no stats regarding 60ft times, 1/4 or trap speeds. Hell, it even still has A/C.

Okay, back on topic: Stupid people make bad sales pitches.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/564904797.html
Buy my litre bike! It's the perfect beginner's bike. It only has the rash and dents from where it bit me when I tried to use it as my first bike, but don't mind those, they just add character.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/566784001.html
HAY GUYZ!!!1one Buy my bike! It's totally not stolen. It's just priced way under market because I don't have the title, and I need to get rid of it before the fuzz get here to pay for my drugs.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/563058409.html
Yeah, see, what you got here, is a basic 'the engine is flooded wit gas' problem. For some reason, even though the mechanic I took it to couldn't fix it, I'm sure it's still full of gas. How does a bike run when the cylinders are full of gasoline, you may ask? :iiam:

GreenFuz
Aug 30, 2000

by Peatpot

Heh, the funny part is that this car apparently doesn't even run sub-10s (10.15 @ 132mph...five years ago), so it's a $75K dyno queen.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Isn't there some old joke about the only thing in common between a 500hp Supra and a 1000hp Supra being that they both run 10s? :laugh:

In addendum to my post - is it common practice for people to try to flog their 600cc supersports as 'beginner bikes?'

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Simkin posted:

Isn't there some old joke about the only thing in common between a 500hp Supra and a 1000hp Supra being that they both run 10s? :laugh:

How's that possible? Wheelspin?

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.

Simkin posted:

is it common practice for people to try to flog their 600cc supersports as 'beginner bikes?'

Yes. Many people seem to think that displacement is the only important thing in determining what's a 'beginner' vehicle. By that line of reasoning, a CBR600RR is just as good a starter bike as (if not better than) an SV650. Much like how an S2000 is a 'beginner' car like a Chevy Cavalier.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Simkin posted:

Hell, it even still has A/C.

I don't think you really have to worry about A/C when you're pushing 1,400hp.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Simkin posted:

Q: What does a 400hp, 600hp, and 800hp Supra have in common?

A: They all run 12s.

kimbo305 posted:

How's that possible? Wheelspin?

Supras can't launch for poo poo. Take into account that they also only make power for a 1500 RPM stint that doesn't start until somewhere around 4500 RPM and you end up with a car running 12 second ETs, but at 150+mph.

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

enziarro posted:

No photos, but this description was pretty bad:

"this car turn into a very dark color at night so is like having 2 car 4 the price of 1"

It's dark blue. Who tries to actually use something like this as a selling point??

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

And I'd like to know why it's listed as a police car when it's loving not.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://austin.craigslist.org/car/567829620.html

Scam? Typo? Either way I'm kinda tempted since NADA puts this car at over 30k. :raise:

in case it gets pulled:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I found this bad boy while I was looking for a bike-

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/564896226.html

Not necessarily funny but still pretty goddamned cool. gently caress bikes, I bet I could land it on the roof of the factory and I'd just walk down the stairs to get to my desk. :c00l:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

7744 posted:

I don't think you really have to worry about A/C when you're pushing 1,400hp.

No, but the point remains, that if this car was actually intended as a drag car, it would be stripped, caged, all the accessories (especially A/C) would be removed, etc. Sure, A/C doesn't make a difference on a dyno, when it's turned off, but when you're looking to cut weight, that's a good 20+ lbs easy.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's not a dedicated anything car, that is the beauty of it. It has enough power to run single digits, embarrass turbo motorcycles on the highway and mellow enough to go grocery shopping in the middle of summer.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Nitrox posted:

It has enough power to run single digits,
Too bad that power's not in a car that can run single digits, too. :shobon:

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/car/565551079.html

quote:

For sale is a beautiful custom 1999 Mercury Cougar V6. This car is a manual tran, with 87k miles. Car has been beautifully modified for a unique appearance and unrivaled performance. Modifications include 18" chrome rims with low profile tires, Weapon R cold air intake, Custom dual exhaust, momo shift, obx pedals, Invader style body kit and hood with carbon fiber insert, C-West style wing. Beautiful custom paint. This car is an absolute MUST SEE.

I love the huge gap between the front bumper and the headlight in this MUST SEE cougar.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Maybe the car is an absolute must see, because the owner can NO LONGER SEE ANYTHING. I am in no way insinuating that it was worked over by a blind man.

@ Pitch :iceburn: I doubt that a 1000hp+ Supra (just on boost) would be a terribly well-mannered beast. Can you imagine that in stop and go traffic?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/567840510.html
Seeing someone with my bike, all dressed up for what looks to be a road trip, makes me very, very happy. Maybe I just really like seeing someone using something other than a big touring bike for ... touring. Remember kids, bungee cords are a perfectly acceptable substitute for hard bags, providing everything is jammed into a waterproof duffel bag.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Huggable Bear King posted:

I love the huge gap between the front bumper and the headlight in this MUST SEE cougar.

Maybe that's why he took his pictures at night.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Ok why would you keep a V6 '82 Firebird in a heated garage and take it to shows?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/car/567043578.html

quote:

ONLY 22,000 ORIGINAL MILES,FORMER SHOW CAR, IST PLACE WINNER OF 9 OF 12 SHOWS INCLUDING A "JUDGE'S CHOICE", KEPT IN HEATED GARAGE ALL 26 YEARS,NEW GAS TANK IN 2005, 4-SPEED,V-6, AM/FM CASSETTE, T-TOP, CUSTOM CANDIE APPLE PAINT ON BOTTOM SIDE KIT, NO DENTS OR DINGS ON BODY, MUST SEE TO APPRECIATE! CALL 301-724-3188 EXT.103 OR 301-478-5204 ASK FOR SCOTT

Plus it looks bone stock, $9495?!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Because every single other V6 of that era will have been left to rust to poo poo, or have had an actual engine stuffed into it.

Granted, unique doesn't necessarily mean good, but still... :hawaaaafap:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Simkin posted:

^^ Maybe the car is an absolute must see, because the owner can NO LONGER SEE ANYTHING. I am in no way insinuating that it was worked over by a blind man.

@ Pitch :iceburn: I doubt that a 1000hp+ Supra (just on boost) would be a terribly well-mannered beast. Can you imagine that in stop and go traffic?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/567840510.html
Seeing someone with my bike, all dressed up for what looks to be a road trip, makes me very, very happy. Maybe I just really like seeing someone using something other than a big touring bike for ... touring. Remember kids, bungee cords are a perfectly acceptable substitute for hard bags, providing everything is jammed into a waterproof duffel bag.
I imagine it would drive rather well in traffic, because it's a large engine with no boost before 3k rpm.

And aren't GS500's like $5,000 brand new?

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.
This car has been cracking me up on craigslist for the last few weeks: 1997 Acura Integra Show Car Over $50,000 Invested - $27995

This is funny to me because amongst the $50,000 invested, they opted for those cheap and lovely APC tail lights. But the really interesting find happened when I went to the dealer's website (yes, this monstrosity is being sold by a dealer): Northwest Investment Cars, Inc

It was there that I found this, which I've never even heard of: 1988 Classic Tiffany Coupe. 30,900 miles. $34,995

Wtf is a "Classic Tiffany Coupe"? As it turns out, it's some freaky kit car built on a Mercury Cougar for people with no taste or knowledge of cars. The most info I could find about these is here: http://members.cox.net/tiffanyclassic/index.html

Also worth mentioning: Doing a search on craigslist for the term 'invested' can net some great results.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Are you kidding? I'd drive the hell out of that thing!

Really? For $35k? So, would you leave the four clown horns on the front or take those off?

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 9, 2008

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

nanodroogie posted:

Wtf is a "Classic Tiffany Coupe"? As it turns out, it's some freaky kit car built on a Mercury Cougar for people with no taste or knowledge of cars. The most info I could find about these is here: http://members.cox.net/tiffanyclassic/index.html

Are you kidding? I'd drive the hell out of that thing!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, a new GS500E will set you back about CAD$5500. The market around here is kind of goofy for used bike prices, but he'll probably still get 2200 for it.

Are those cars at a dealership where taste goes to die, or is it just an unfortunate conflux of carbage?

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

nanodroogie posted:

This car has been cracking me up on craigslist for the last few weeks: 1997 Acura Integra Show Car Over $50,000 Invested - $27995

Why do all these "show cars" have so many TVs in them? What does it prove?

I've never really understood that.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
2002 Rolls Royce Conversion Phantom Limousine SUV 4x4 - $50000
THIS IS NOT ORIGINAL ROLLS ROYCE !
Rare One of a Kind conversion Rolls Royce Truck. Over $150,000.00 Invested in this exclusive Limousine 4x4 suv Truck.

Searching for 'invested' does turn up some gems, but mostly it's like SALVAGE TITLE '01 WRX dont lowball me 16995 FIRM

edit: stripped '86 Corolla for 6k, '94 Mustang for 15k, ricey salvage WRX for 13.6k, SEE?

enziarro fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 10, 2008

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

enziarro posted:

Rare One of a Kind conversion Rolls Royce Truck. Over $150,000.00 Invested in this exclusive Limousine 4x4 suv Truck.

What is playing on the screen in this picture? I know I've seen that somewhere before.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

enziarro posted:

My favorite part of that is the obvious "missing" Ford badges mixed with not bothering with the Excursion badging.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Global688 posted:

Hrm its kinda early bu he says he has a b16a vtec dohc motor in there. Looks to me like a b18c1 ls non vtec dohc motor which are worth squat this day and age. Yeah definitly not worth 1500$.

A B18C1 is the VTEC motor out of a GSR. The B18B1 non-VTEC was in the LS.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

enziarro posted:

Honestly, even though I'd never drive it and think it's horribly gaudy and ugly, that thing should be more than $50k, don't you think? I mean, assuming that thing's really only got 5k miles, that's really not that much money. It's an Excursion, a pretty expensive vehicle, with only 5k miles and to be honest the passenger area of it doesn't look THAT bad. As in, that's a LOT of electronics and such.

That said, I wouldn't touch it with a [insert length here] pole.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/559089872.html

quote:

ALL numbers matching car ,clean,sc ,car,,NEW motor new trans,,runs new ,black gold,tee tops..drives like new,,lots invested,,over 3700.00 in motor and trans call 216.323.8655 gtojoe75 at yahoo.com save$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wait, how is it numbers matching with a new engine and trans? Is that even possible?

edit: Found one more :psyduck:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/546624601.html

quote:

Custom Truck for Sale - $50000
80 thousand invested. Asking price 50,000.00

honkykong fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 10, 2008

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

How come the majority of modified trucks all end up looking the same? Also, every time I see "$XX invested," I have to laugh and wonder if the owners ever considered the money they spent to be an actual "investment."

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

honkykong posted:

edit: Found one more :psyduck:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/546624601.html

Holy poo poo! I took one look at that pile of garbage and immediately started laughing my rear end off. It looks like the early nineties came along, and vomitted all over the outside of that thing, and seriously, what the gently caress is with Boba Fet under the hood :psyduck: ?

Sometimes I wonder how the owners of these kind of vehicles react when someone reacts like that in front of them. Like, are they so oblivious to the shittiness of the vehicle that they assume its laughter of joy at seeing such a magnificent vehilce? Do they KNOW their vehicle sucks, and even though on the outside they may still appear proud to drive it on the inside they are crying over the fact they wasted so much money?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/568507000.html

quote:

The bike was lost during my move up to Seattle and has some oxidation as it was stored outside for a few months.

How exactly does one lose a Ducati 900SS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
91 240sx s13 SR20DET (3500)$$$OBO - $3500

Hm. Seems a little pricey for a seventeen year old car...let's have a closer look...

quote:

91 240sx
sr20det swap 2000$$$

Oh dear.

quote:

turbo is currently off the car

Oh.

Dear.

quote:

jdm wheels with kuhmo tires...weigh 13 lbs a piece (wheel plus tire) 1300$$

Hahahahahahahaha.

quote:

lsd differential 200$$

I've got a twenty dollar bill that says it's a Phantom Slip and not a real diff for that price.

quote:

stainless steel brake lines..incredible braking power...

:rolleye:

quote:

willing to trade for a motorcycle sport bike like a gsxr or a yahmaha r6 or r1 or katana or cbr

Such a noble sacrifice. You must be a real humanitarian to offer up your quarter-assed JDM y0!!!1 240SX for so little in return. I wonder who he paid off for the inspection.