Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Carl with a K posted:

I saw Westbound Train when they opened for Streetlight Manifesto and they kicked rear end but then i listened to some of their songs on cd and they were boring

Man, WBT kill it on their albums (Haven't gotten to see them live yet) and they are one of the best trad bands going. You just have to be ready to sit back and groove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!
Oh man, why don't any of my friends listen to ska? :( Reel Big Fish is giving concerts in Finland, Sweden and Latvia in February and I have no one to go with. I really have no desire to go adventuring in foreign countries alone either. Bahh.

Anyone from here going to any of those concerts?

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

Bombajio posted:

Oh man, why don't any of my friends listen to ska? :( Reel Big Fish is giving concerts in Finland, Sweden and Latvia in February and I have no one to go with. I really have no desire to go adventuring in foreign countries alone either. Bahh.

Anyone from here going to any of those concerts?

I'm going to their concert in Copenhagen, if that's close enough, on the 6th. I'm mostly coming for Streetlight, though.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I'm going to Utrecht on the 4th. I just pressured my friends into going.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Westbound Train is good on their albums (especially their last release) but it's kind of like once you see how amazing they are live the albums just don't stack up.

guppy posted:

Okay, I just ordered both. Thanks!

Totally awesome, thanks!

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
Does anyone remember that benefit show in Hollywood that was under the name Save Eric about 5 years ago? Just about every poppy ska bend from Orange County and Southern California ever played that show. I'm talking Reel Big Fish, The Aquabats, Suburban Legends, and even loving Starpool. Man those guys were ridiculous. Really ridiculously fun show, and I went just as I was getting into ska. I've really moved away from that sound, I would just like to see if any other goons were there.

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
I just saw Bomb the Music Industry! and Satori live. My head and neck hurt like a bitch and my throat is still killing me. Definitely worth it. Bomb the Music Industry was loving incredible. Also the fact that they were playing in a church is hilarious to me.

Zilla
Nov 14, 2005

can you see my nuts

Josh Wow posted:

You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

You guys are really good. And oh man you're playing in Dalton, GA on the 8th? And Knoxville on the 9th? I live in Chattanooga, TN so I'm definitely going to try to make it to one of those. Probably the Knoxville show because I have work Friday night.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Josh Wow posted:

You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

Wow your band has really come along.

I remember searching for songs by them on napster, while trying to find underground ska bands.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Zilla posted:

You guys are really good. And oh man you're playing in Dalton, GA on the 8th? And Knoxville on the 9th? I live in Chattanooga, TN so I'm definitely going to try to make it to one of those. Probably the Knoxville show because I have work Friday night.

Awesome, if you make it out come say hi and I'll give you a free button or sticker or something.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Messyass posted:

I'm going to Utrecht on the 4th. I just pressured my friends into going.

Just got back. It was awesome.

SM were much more than an opening band, as expected. They really got the crowd going. I noticed that Tomas introduced Mephisto's Café as "this song is about Scientology". What's up with that?

RBF were great as ever. Their new record has some excellent live tracks. Especially Party Down and Another Day In Paradise.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Some Streetlight Manifesto dates have been announced

quote:

4-12-08 Sluggos in Pensacola, FL
4-15-08 The Social in Orlando, FL
4-17-08 Common Grounds in Gainesville, FL
4-19-08 Masquerade in Atlanta, GA
4-21-08 Recher Theatre in Towson, MD
4-27-08 Middle East in Cambridge, MA
4-30-08 Revolution Hall in Troy, NY
5-05-08 Pops in Sauget, IL

Can't confirm all of the shows, but they're touring with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330. I assume they're on board for the full tour.

Can't wait for the 27th!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Motherfucker. Anywhere but Troy! Why must they torture me like this?!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Zox :(

I'll try to make it to the show at The Middle East

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

seventeen posted:

Can't confirm all of the shows, but they're touring with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330. I assume they're on board for the full tour.

Can't wait for the 27th!
Holy poo poo, awesome! I will be at the show at the Recher come hell or high water. Thanks for the info.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
On a side note, why is Zox playing with seemingly every ska band under the sun lately? I don't get it :(

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Zox :(

What's wrong with Zox?

Thornes posted:

Motherfucker. Anywhere but Troy! Why must they torture me like this?!

What's wrong with Troy? That's where I might go to see them.

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007
Went to the RBF-Streetlight show in Copenhagen last night, and that poo poo was just fantastic. A local, fairly reasonable rocksteady band opened and got the crowd a little warm, and when Streetlight hit the scene everything just went crazy. By the end of their set, I was pumped up on enough adrenaline and dopamine to kill a grown elephant, and was probably on the brink of passing out from exhaustion, but god drat that was an awesome experience - Against Me!'s set on Roskilde festival was the best concert I'd been to before, and that didn't even come close to what I experienced last night.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

What's wrong with Zox?

Saw em when they played with the Bosstones, not my type of music.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Call me ignorant, but I didn't even know Denmark had a ska scene. I'm actually fairly ignorant about world ska. I know there's a semi-big J-ska scene (is there a niche Japan doesn't have?) and some stuff in Brazil but elsewhere?

edit: Zox is ok but they're very much Indie rock and that's weird for a lot of people who are into ska. I guess they're trying to expand their fanbase?

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 7, 2008

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Call me ignorant, but I didn't even know Denmark had a ska scene. I'm actually fairly ignorant about world ska. I know there's a semi-big J-ska scene (is there a niche Japan doesn't have?) and some stuff in Brazil but elsewhere?

With globalization, you can find pretty much any scene in any country. Still, compared to how little our country is, I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to say that our ska scene is reasonably well-established. The most well-known is Skalar (http://www.skalar.dk/side.php?id=7 for music), and Ill Young Skill (who opened for Streetlight and are considerably better than Skalar, imo), found at http://www.myspace.com/illyoungskill.

If you want to check out some international ska of a very high caliber, I'd recommend Leningrad. They have a very fun and aggressive Russian flavour, combined with a good deal of skill. Their official sites are only in Russian and German, but you can check out one of their more famous songs on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feP-_ThCtkw. I'd recommend ignoring the idiotic home-made video, though.

And Ska-P was mentioned not long ago. Also quite good, salsa-flavoured ska.

Anyone who knows more international ska, please chime in.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

seventeen posted:

Can't wait for the 27th!

Where did you find these? I checked Streetlight's main site and their myspace and nothing about it is on there.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

mix.lunar posted:

Where did you find these? I checked Streetlight's main site and their myspace and nothing about it is on there.

Ticketmaster.com under a search for Streetlight Manifesto. The night before I posted the dates, I was curious to see when they were playing again and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I fact checked with my venue (The Middle East) on their show dates section and they confirmed it. If the past is telling, Streetlight usually doesn't announce it on their website until a full tour is booked which leads me to believe there might be more dates added.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Cool, thanks for informing me man! If any dates in PA come up, could you post them in here? I'd rather not have to drive 5 and 1/2 hours to see them.

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 7, 2008

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Full set of Streetlight dates thanks to Victory Records

(all dates are with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330 unless otherwise noted)

quote:

Mar 29, 2008 Las Vegas, NV, US @ DESERT BREEZE SKATE PARK w/ Pennywise, Chiodos
Mar 30, 2008 Orangevale, CA, US @ THE BOARDWALK
Mar 31, 2008 San Francisco, CA, US @ SLIM'S
Apr 1, 2008 Portland, OR, US @ SATYRICON
Apr 2, 2008 Seattle, WA, US @ STUDIO SEVEN w/ Dan Potthast (no Zox)
Apr 2, 2008 Philadelphia, PA, US @ THE TROCADERO
Apr 4, 2008 San Diego, CA, US @ SOMA
Apr 5, 2008 Irvine, CA, US @ VERIZON WIRELESS AMPHITHEATER
Apr 6, 2008 Tempe, AZ, US @ MARQUEE THEATRE
Apr 7, 2008 Albuquerque, NM, US @ LAUNCHPAD
Apr 8, 2008 Denver, CO, US @ OGDEN THEATRE
Apr 10, 2008 Houston, TX, US @ MERIDIAN
Apr 13, 2008 St. Petersburg, FL, US @ STATE THEATRE
Apr 14, 2008 Ft. Lauderdale, FL, US @ CULTURE ROOM
Apr 15, 2008 Orlando, FL, US @ THE SOCIAL
Apr 19, 2008 Atlanta, GA, US @ THE MASQUERADE
Apr 21, 2008 Towson, MD @ RECHER THEATRE
Apr 22, 2008 Pittsburgh, PA @ DIESEL
Apr 23, 2008 Detroit, MI @ MAJESTIC THEATRE
Apr 24, 2008 TORONTO, ON, CA @ PHOENIX CONCERT THEATRE w/ The Johnstones, Dan Potthast
Apr 25, 2008 Montreal, QC, CA @ LE STUDIO w/ The Johnstones, Dan Potthast
Apr 26, 2008 Quebec City, CA @ ANTI HALL w/ The Johnstones, Dan Potthast
Apr 27, 2008 Cambridge, MA, US @ MIDDLE EAST
Apr 29, 2008 WILLIAMSVILLE, NY, US @ CLUB INFINITY
Apr 30, 2008 Troy, NY, US @ REVOLUTION HALL
May 1, 2008 Allentown, PA @ CROCODILE ROCK
May 3, 2008 East Rutherford, NJ, US @ MEADOWLANDS Bamboozle Festival
May 4, 2008 Cleveland, OH, US @ AGORA BALLROOM
May 5, 2008 Sauget, IL @ POP'S
May 6, 2008 Chicago, IL, US @ METRO
May 7, 2008 Milwaukee, WI, US @ TURNER HALL
May 8, 2008 St. Paul, MN, US @ STATION 4

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Boo-ya! my dad just agreed to drive me to Williamsville, NY for their show! Thanks for all the tour dates and letting me be lazy seventeen!

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

drat, The Social again. Too far of a drive.

I'll be at the April 14th show.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got my Taj Motel Trio CDs -- thanks Josh! I'll listen and post back. Quick question, I want to put them on my Zune, but I can't find a good picture of the album art for Part of the Problem. Is there a convenient way to get one or will I just have to strip one out of the website header?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

mix.lunar posted:

What's wrong with Troy? That's where I might go to see them.

RPI sucked out my soul and left me a shell of a human being.

But that doesn't matter anymore since I found out that show is on a Wednesday and I still must attend classes.

I'm more upset that I managed to miss the January 12th show in NYC. I had no idea it even happened until I went to their site yesterday.

Wicked Weasel
Dec 25, 2004
Skimpy.
The Bosstones are one of my favourite bands, ever since I heard The Impression That I Get, then ordering in every other record they'd made which took months to get delivered and finding they've got tonnes of songs I like even more.
I'd murder babies to see them if they ever came out to Australia again, maybe i'll have to get to a throwdown instead.

I tried Reel Big Fish and liked some of their stuff as I branched out a bit. If I like the tones where else should I start?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

I got my Taj Motel Trio CDs -- thanks Josh! I'll listen and post back. Quick question, I want to put them on my Zune, but I can't find a good picture of the album art for Part of the Problem. Is there a convenient way to get one or will I just have to strip one out of the website header?

Just let me know what your email address is through a PM or something and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. Hope you enjoy the cds.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 8, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

Just let me know what your email address is through a PM or something and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. Hope you enjoy the cds.
Sent you a PM, thanks.

The CDs are really, really good. As you said, Part of the Process is the stronger album. "Stop Playing Games" is especially awesome.

Everyone who hasn't bought at least that album really ought to if they're into third-wave at all. Catchy horn lines and fun lyrics, it's like listening to some kind of bizarro Reel Big Fish where the band doesn't hate everything.

Wicked Weasel posted:

The Bosstones are one of my favourite bands, ever since I heard The Impression That I Get, then ordering in every other record they'd made which took months to get delivered and finding they've got tonnes of songs I like even more.
I'd murder babies to see them if they ever came out to Australia again, maybe i'll have to get to a throwdown instead.

I tried Reel Big Fish and liked some of their stuff as I branched out a bit. If I like the tones where else should I start?
I haven't found another band in the same style as the Bosstones, but were you aware that they released a new album at the end of last year?

If you liked RBF, besides checking out Josh Wow's band that he posted above, try earlier Less Than Jake, Buck-O-Nine and Streetlight Manifesto.

guppy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 8, 2008

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Wicked Weasel posted:

If I like the tones where else should I start?

I, personally, love the Voodoo Glow Skulls and find them to be similar to the Bosstones but not entirely. I highly recommend "The Band Geek Mafia", but I also really enjoy all of their other albums with the exceptions of "Adicción, Tradición, Revolución" and "Southern California Street Music" because I can never find them in stores and have never heard them.

Though they're not ska or even ska punk, you might also like Angry Samoans. The Bosstones cover their song "Lights Out", so if you like that odds are you'd be a fan of AS

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Isn't Babylove and the Van Dangos from Denmark? I love them.

edit: yepppp http://www.purevolume.com/babylovethevandangos

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 8, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

seventeen posted:

I, personally, love the Voodoo Glow Skulls and find them to be similar to the Bosstones but not entirely. I highly recommend "The Band Geek Mafia", but I also really enjoy all of their other albums with the exceptions of "Adicción, Tradición, Revolución" and "Southern California Street Music" because I can never find them in stores and have never heard them.

Though they're not ska or even ska punk, you might also like Angry Samoans. The Bosstones cover their song "Lights Out", so if you like that odds are you'd be a fan of AS
If you're interested, both of those VGS albums are for sale at Amazon, both as CDs and MP3s.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

guppy posted:

If you're interested, both of those VGS albums are for sale at Amazon, both as CDs and MP3s.

:doh: I don't know why I never thought of this. Thanks!

frankthetank
Dec 20, 2006

Was good to see Capdown earlier on in the thread. All of the stuff from their albums 'Pound for the Sound' and 'Civil Disobedients' is pure gold. Two other great english third wave UK Ska bands that have split up are:

http://www.myspace.com/farsetheband - Their album 'Boxing Clever' is brillaint! Buy it now!

and

http://www.myspace.com/adequateseven - These guys are slightly less ska, but still amazing!

It's a crying shame that these bands all had to split but hey, hopefully there'll be another wave of great English ska bands some time soon.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
I looked back a few pages and didn't see this posted here yet. Less Than Jake has finally announced their new record label. It's pretty exciting news, because they are now their own record label, Sleep it Off Records. They'll be releasing their back catalog (once they get the rights to all of it) on this label which will include DVDs of them playing the albums live (I'm guessing cut together from the FL and UK Album shows).

More exciting though, is this quote from Vinnie:

quote:

To be honest, I don't really know what to expect. All I do know is that we're writing songs now and they seem to have the spirit of a tempo in mind, all very speedy but once we hit the record button they may be slower."

The news article about it continues on to say:

quote:

He admits that personally he's looking to combine third wave ska and pop punk in each song, but that he'll be "as surprised as everyone" when the album is complete.

This bodes very well for their next release this summer. Reel Big Fish's new album is pretty drat good, and that certainly has something to do with the fact that they are on an indie label now. Here's hoping the same rings true for Less Than Jake. If they produce something half as good as Hello Rockview I will be very happy.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

New Slackers album in April. If it's anywhere near as good as the Boss Harmony Sessions CD I'll be pleased.

I'm sure it will because I don't think I've listened to anything by the Slackers where I was disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

It's a been a while, so I got some catching up to do...

To the guy who requested MU330 recommendations (maybe 2 pages ago), start with the self-titled and Chumps on Parade.

To Josh Wow...Looks like someone's moving up in the ska world. Weren't you originally in Maladroit Mafia? Actually, that's a rhetorical question, I remember buying the cd from you. I've never listened to Taj Motel Trio before, but that live stream is sounding fantastic. I should be able to make it to your show in Philly on March 15th. I'll buy the album then.

To international ska...The internet is a glorious thing. That and living in France for a summer. Most of western Europe seems to have a ska scene. From Spain you've got Ska-P and Obrint Pas, France has La Ruda Salska, Marcel Et Son Orchestre, and Babylon Circus, Norway's got Hopalong Knut, and Germany's got No Authority and P.O. Box. And there's countless others. For the past 3 years, I've put together a best of the year mix, and this years mix covered 5 continents. I mean, even South Africa has a scene (Fuzigish) for heaven's sake.

I'll just shut up now, but if anyone wants detailed album recommendations, let me know.

Edit: Oh, right, LTJ. I can't wait for some of those reissues. The video from Pezcore has video from the album show in St. Petersburg, not sure if there was anything from London. So now I can own three different copies of the same album. Not to mention the 4 extra sealed copies I have because Mike Park threw a copy in with every order for awhile.

Oh, and the Streetlight show in Philly is actually on May 2. They're a great band, but they can't be in two places at the same time. And you can go to their site to preorder tickets.

WaffleZombie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 15, 2008