Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Wow, another Ozu set. I'm not a fan of Ozu so I'll pass. I'd love to see an "early Kurosawa" set, Mizoguchi or a Naruse set. Hopefully they'll come in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

I'd love to see an "early Kurosawa" set

You know about the one they just released, right? Or do you want the early 40's stuff?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

You know about the one they just released, right? Or do you want the early 40's stuff?

Isn't the new set called "Post War Kurosawa"? Yes, I mean his 40's stuff, there's a couple I haven't seen, and would love to get a chance.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

FitFortDanga posted:

I own The Lower Depths because I like having all of Kurosawa's films, but I don't consider it essential part of his work. Not that it's bad (it's good, I like Renoir's version a little more), but I probably wouldn't ever put it on unless I had planned a marathon of all his movies.

I've never seen this discussed before (I haven't really looked for discussion, either) but is this the common view comparing the two versions? I agree that it's not exactly a necessary thing to own, though each has its merit. But I thought Kurosawa's version was infinitely better than Renoir's version, which I really couldn't stand. Normally I love Renoir and Jean Gabin, but I think it actually suffered drastically from having Gabin as a main character instead of using an equal ensemble as in Kurosawa's version.

And also, I mirror your annoyance at Ozu. I appreciate him, and love some of his work (especially A Story of Floating Weeds), but I swear if I see his name on one more release I'm going to throw up on the spot.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Brian Fellows posted:

I've never seen this discussed before (I haven't really looked for discussion, either) but is this the common view comparing the two versions? I agree that it's not exactly a necessary thing to own, though each has its merit. But I thought Kurosawa's version was infinitely better than Renoir's version, which I really couldn't stand. Normally I love Renoir and Jean Gabin, but I think it actually suffered drastically from having Gabin as a main character instead of using an equal ensemble as in Kurosawa's version.

This is kind of an aside, but I don't really understand the love for Jean Gabin. Granted, I've only seen Pepe Le Moko, but I was pretty underwhelmed with him (and the whole movie actually) and was wondering what other films fans of his would recommend.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I didn't even know many Japanese silents existed. Still, the Eclipse series was a great idea. With the first ten volumes, they'll have 40 films put on DVD. I sort of wish they would go a little faster with an Eclipse every month (I want the Sternberg silents), though.

Mike_V posted:

This is kind of an aside, but I don't really understand the love for Jean Gabin. Granted, I've only seen Pepe Le Moko, but I was pretty underwhelmed with him (and the whole movie actually) and was wondering what other films fans of his would recommend.

I didn't like Pepe Le Moko, but he was awesome in Grisbi. Grand Illusion is one I need to see, though.

(Edit: Looks like this month's newsletter hint is for Jacques Tati's Trafic! I wonder if this means Jour de Fete and Parade will come out at the same time...)

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 17, 2008

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The art for Blast of Silence is fantastic and I'm really curious to check that one out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The reigning theory seems to be that this means Tati's Traffic is finally coming.

Jean Gabin is just a suave mofo. The only movies I've seen him are the Criterions, but he's great in all of them:

Pépé le Moko
Port of Shadows
Touchez pas au Grisbi
The Grand Illusion
The Lower Depths
French Cancan
La Bête Humaine

Well, not so great in Bête Humaine

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This comes from criterionforum.org, I don't know how accurate it is. I can't find any mention of it on Criterion's site:

quote:

Criterion press release for April contains these additional 3 titles, all $14.95:

THE RED BALLOON
Newly restored and available for the first time on DVD, Albert Lamorisse’s exquisite The Red Balloon remains one of the most beloved children’s films of all time. In this deceptively simple, nearly wordless tale, a young boy discovers a stray balloon, which seems to have a mind of its own, on the streets of Paris. The two become inseparable, yet the world’s harsh realities finally interfere. With its glorious palette and allegorical purity, the Academy Award–winning The Red Balloon has enchanted movie lovers, young and old, for generations.

Title: The Red Balloon
CAT: CC1746D
UPC: 7-15515-02882-0
ISBN: 978-1-60465-030-3
SRP: $14.95
Prebook: 3/25/08
Street date: 4/29/08

WHITE MANE
In the south of France, in a near-desert region called La Camargue, lives White Mane, a magnificent stallion and the leader of a herd of wild horses too proud to let themselves be broken in by humans. Only Folco, a young fisherman, manages to tame him. A strong friendship grows between the boy and the horse, as the two go looking for the freedom that the world of men won’t allow them. Long unavailable in the U.S., this extraordinarily shot wonder from Albert Lamorisse, the director of The Red Balloon, is a work of technical sophistication and immense natural beauty.

Title: White Mane
CAT: CC1747D
UPC: 7-15515-02892-9
ISBN: 978-1-60465-031-0

PADDLE TO THE SEA
Based on Holling C. Holling’s beloved Caldecott-awarded children’s book, William Mason’s stunning film follows the adventures of a tiny, wood-carved canoe as it forges its own path from Lake Superior through the Great Lakes and down to the Atlantic Ocean. Buoyed by beautiful photography and a sense of true wonder about the sun, Earth, and water, the Academy Award–nominated Paddle to the Sea is an unforgettable tribute to the forces of the natural world, as well as a thrilling journey across the waves and rapids of North America.

Title: Paddle to the Sea
CAT: CC1748D
UPC: 7-15515-02902-5
ISBN: 978-1-60465-032-7

I'm pretty surprised no one ever released The Red Balloon before.

EDIT: DVDBeaver is listing these titles as well.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 17, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Wow, The Red Balloon is a definite buy if it's only going to be about $9 retail. I sort of expected Criterion to do a double-feature with White Mane since they would fit on a single disc plus supplements.

Not sure if it's been posted before, but here's the Janus Films trailer for the theatrical double feature: http://www.janusfilms.com/redandwhite/Red%20White%20Trailer%20Large.mov

The restorations look flawless.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blog post about the upcoming Thief of Bagdad release.

quote:

Karen is working on some great extras for the DVD, including a commentary with Scorsese and Coppola, and a piece on the special effects with Craig Baron (Matte World Digital), Dennis Muren (Industrial Light & Magic), and legendary filmmaker Ray Harryhausen.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm pretty surprised no one ever released The Red Balloon before.

Oddly enough this is the most excited I've been for a Criterion release since the eclipse Kurosawa box. Not familiar with the other children's films, though.

Thief of Baghdad sounds promising, too. Is it the '24 version of the '40?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Starscream posted:

Oddly enough this is the most excited I've been for a Criterion release since the eclipse Kurosawa box. Not familiar with the other children's films, though.

Thief of Baghdad sounds promising, too. Is it the '24 version of the '40?

The '40, which explains Scorsese's involvement. He's a huge Michael Powell fan, and did a commentary with Powell on Black Narcissus and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, plus stuff on The Red Shoes and Tales of Hoffmann. Also, his long-time editor Thelma Schoonmaker was Powell's wife.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=72238&CFID=847647&CFTOKEN=97214363
http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=72240&CFID=847647&CFTOKEN=97214363

Note the lack of a Criterion banner. I wonder if this means a new line of family films, or shorts.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FitFortDanga posted:

Note the lack of a Criterion banner. I wonder if this means a new line of family films, or shorts.
Or maybe CRITERION IS DISBANDING ALTOGETHER!!!!! AAAAHHHH

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster
Oh how I loathe GBS. I spent a good two hours making stuff for this thread, and no one seemed interested in contributing. I figure you Criterion Collection owners might enjoy what I put in there.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Aegri Somnia posted:

Oh how I loathe GBS. I spent a good two hours making stuff for this thread, and no one seemed interested in contributing. I figure you Criterion Collection owners might enjoy what I put in there.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I know those kind of threads have been done to death for YEARS on this forum and others. I myself did a few fake covers about 5 years ago (Clockwork Orange, The Children's Hour, can't remember what else). Maybe people are just tired of them?

Also, you used the old banner and it doesn't even look right.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

GBS movie threads are usually full of people who don't know that this forum exists anyway.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

GBS movie threads are usually full of people who don't know that this forum exists anyway.

Thank god for that.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Criminal Minded posted:

Thank god for that.

Imagine how skewed the Yearly Consensus threads would be. Sin City with 200 votes? Children of Men with 170? Wowzers!

I can't think of any other Goon Favorites® though.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 9, 2008

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Imagine how skewed the Yearly Consensus threads would be. Sin City with 200 votes? Children of Men with 170? Wowzers!

I can't think of any other Goon Favorites® though.

Anything with zombies, superhero films, studio Ghibli films, films starring Christian Bale, Ed Norton and Clive Owen, and anything that can be classified as "so-bad-it's-good."

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Criminal Minded posted:

Anything with zombies, superhero films, studio Ghibli films, films starring Christian Bale, Ed Norton and Clive Owen, and anything that can be classified as "so-bad-it's-good."

Imagine the outrage following the end of 1985's consensus:

1) Back to the Future
2) The Goonies
3) Commando
5) American Ninja
6) That movie with those kids who build a spaceship and go to space and meet some alien teenagers (since nobody can ever remember the title)
7) Brazil
8) Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
9) Rambo: First Blood II
10) Ran

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Worst case scenario: Consensus threads in GBS mean bitchkilla will register 30 accounts just to make Loose Change #1.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor.htm

Review/Comparison for The Last Emperor. Not really sure if it's a movie I'd like to see, but it really does look visually stunning.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I'm bored:

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Og Oggilby posted:

I'm bored:

Ahaha, holy poo poo. "Sorry about my face."

I Netflix'd Miss Julie solely on this image:

I thought it was gunna be a funny battle of the sexes dramedy, which it was for the first 30 minutes. Then it gets completely overwrought with drama and kind of goes downhill. I wasn't familiar with the play it was based on, so maybe I should've been.

There were a lot of things I really really liked about it, though. :shobon:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Darjeeling Limited is coming out in a couple weeks but there seems to be no news at all of it being on Criterion? Don't all Wes Anderson movies end up here as well? Good news is that Bottle Rocket is hitting soon toon with lots of new deleted scenes and the original short.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Vintersorg posted:

The Darjeeling Limited is coming out in a couple weeks but there seems to be no news at all of it being on Criterion?

Nope, unless something's happened to change that. Which really sucks.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

quote:

Kon Ichikawa, 1915-2008
Legendary Japanese filmmaker Kon Ichikawa died on Wednesday, after complications from pneumonia. Claiming influences as disparate as Walt Disney and Pier Paolo Pasolini, Ichikawa had a long, rich, and varied career, marked by major breakthroughs in the fifties, with the unflinching World War II dramas The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain, and moving into wildly different genres (melodrama, in An Actor’s Revenge; documentary, in Tokyo Olympiad), through 2006, when his final effort, The Inugamis, was released in Japan. Ichikawa was 92.

Although 92 isn't exactly an untimely death, it's still a loss. His movies on Criterion are all superb, and An Actor's Revenge (which Animeigo is supposed to be releasing in 2008) is one of my absolute favorites, a drat near perfect film.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

FitFortDanga posted:

Although 92 isn't exactly an untimely death, it's still a loss. His movies on Criterion are all superb, and An Actor's Revenge (which Animeigo is supposed to be releasing in 2008) is one of my absolute favorites, a drat near perfect film.

That's sad. Nobi was an excellent and disturbing film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

explanation of the Red Balloon/White Mane/Paddle to the Sea situation

Apparently Red Balloon & White Mane will be getting the full Criterion treatment later this year.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

I love the quote of his that the New York Times included in their obituary: “I just make any picture I like or any that the company tells me to do,” he was quoted as saying in World Film Directors.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion is certainly dragging their heels with the May announcements. Used to be announcements always came by the 15th, or at worst the next business day. Here we are at about quitting time on the 19th and still no sign of the new titles. Hopefully this means they're cooking up something big.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion is certainly dragging their heels with the May announcements. Used to be announcements always came by the 15th, or at worst the next business day. Here we are at about quitting time on the 19th and still no sign of the new titles. Hopefully this means they're cooking up something big.

They're announcing that Salo will be their first BluRay, but they're waiting on the custom brown colored cases. :v:

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

They're announcing that Salo will be their first BluRay

Funny, I just mentioned that as a possibility over at criterionforum.org. Not that it would be in this month's announcements, just that it (or another title due for re-issue) would be a good first Criterion Blu-Ray.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Any news on whether the fixed Mala Noche discs are ready? I didn't want to send away for the replacement when there was going to be a long lag time.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Funny, I just mentioned that as a possibility over at criterionforum.org. Not that it would be in this month's announcements, just that it (or another title due for re-issue) would be a good first Criterion Blu-Ray.

I've only started reading that forum and I have to say that the posters there are hilarious. Too bad they don't seem to allow new registration anymore.

r-lam
Jul 12, 2005

JAROME, EETZ ME!
Will goddamn Criterion finally release Il Sorpasso? someone needs to release a decent english translation of it because i only have a lovely non-subtitled version and my italian is... not good.

It's one of those movies no one I know besides me has ever seen and I am loving in love with it.

th1rdeye
Nov 18, 2004

He who arises in might
Any word on whether they plan to release anymore Malick? I recently bought the gorgeous Criterion Days of Heaven, but I'm holding off on Badlands because I have a feeling it's just around the corner.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

th1rdeye posted:

Any word on whether they plan to release anymore Malick? I recently bought the gorgeous Criterion Days of Heaven, but I'm holding off on Badlands because I have a feeling it's just around the corner.

Criterion won't get Badlands since it's WB and they don't license out. But they'd probably get around to a SE eventually. Fox licensing The Thin Red Line is the only other likely one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mferkinwalter posted:

This is really loving annoying. I was thinking about dropping the veritable wad of cash on this one, but this just seems like a screw up. Isn't Criterion supposed to use the best version of the film out there? What say does the cinematographer really have in it at this point?

In this instance the cinematographer has a contractual right to supervise, review and approve all re-masterings. This is unusual but not unknown. Storaro oversaw the new digital re-mastering and was responsible with Bertolucci for choosing the aspect ratio. That is their determination of what the best version is, not yours, unfortunately.

Image is releasing the cheaper version as Image was licensed the rights originally and Image owns Criterion (I don't know if that fact has been mentioned previously - hope I am not repeating, but I could not wade through many pages to check).