Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Music123 is doing this $100 instant rebate sale and as it turns out I've been looking to upgrade my acoustic. I just pulled the trigger on this Tacoma DM14 E6:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I've been listening to the clips and appreciate it, since I'm still shopping around for an amp. I had a H&K 20 ordered, it went out of stock, I cancelled it and had my credit card ready to order a Peavey JSX, but now there's a possibility of financial problems down the line so I'm holding off on spending any more major money.

The Windsor clips are killer, I'm really impressed by what that little guy is capable of. To be honest I wasn't nearly as impressed by the Univalve clips, but that amp is totally customizable to the user's tastes so whatever works for you.

Glad you like the Windsor clips :) That's just one example of its sound. I've had some mixed reactions to it in a metal forum, they seem to think there's too much crunch going on. Whatever, I'm digging it. I did fatten it up a bit and changed where I was knotching the midrange, I think it sounds even better now than it did, same fundamental tone though. Wouldn't have suspected that an amp which looks like it does could sound like it does. One thing, the Windsor is HUGE. Like, absurdly big. I have an oversized 4x12 and the head just fits within its dimensions. On my Randall 4x12, which is a compact cab, it dwarfs the cab. Still sounds good through it, though - the Randall Jaguars are darker speakers with less of an upper mid peak than the English V30s in my Trace Elliot. If you prefer a darker sound and don't mind a somewhat off appearance, you could get a head and a 4x12 for a real steal by going with the Randall Jaguar 4x12 8ohm cab and the Windsor head.

I'm going to re-record both of my amps tomorrow if my back stops hurting long enough for me to pick up the guitar. I have everything mic'd up completely differently than in the previous clips (the most recent Windsor clips, that you quoted, are an example of the new mic'ing method, but the previous set were with an old method which, on reflection, sucks, overloads my too-sensitive compressor mics, etc.). I think the Univalve will give a much more impressive demo with the new method than with the old. However, it still may not be your idea of a good sound - like you say, it is pretty much the most versatile amp around and you can change everything by changing three tubes. I've got JJ ECC83s and a JJ 6L6 (both courtesy of Groovetubes) in it right now, and changing from the stock Chinese EL34 to the GT/JJ 6L6 was night-and-day. My dad, who is a drummer, picked up the difference in sound immediately. And he's a drummer. (I kid, I'm a drummer too, baby...)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Socket Ryanist posted:

Wait, I thought it was the αJuno-2 that had the "what the" patch?

All of 'm (MKS, α1, α2) are the same except for the form factor; the MKS is obviously a rack, the keyboard of the α1 does not transmit velocity (it will however receive it if you have a velocity-sensitive keyboard and I've got 9 of those) and it doesn't have a slot for cartridges (not a problem either, with the magic of a MIDI interface and SysEx dumps) and it only has 49 keys (I've got enough 61-key synths, too).

So even if the previous owner decided to be an rear end and delete all the factory patches, I can find and upload it in 2 minutes :).

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

Glad you like the Windsor clips :) That's just one example of its sound.
I've found these interesting too. The univalve ones were a bit unimpressive I thought, I'm reserving judgement because of what you said about mic technique.

If you're doing more anyway, could you try doing a clip where you shoot for something like the stereotypical cranked JCM800 sound? Something along the lines of the guitar sound in this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=njsKBNmakw0

KcMsterpce
Jan 27, 2008
It's my birthday present:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

I've found these interesting too. The univalve ones were a bit unimpressive I thought, I'm reserving judgement because of what you said about mic technique.

If you're doing more anyway, could you try doing a clip where you shoot for something like the stereotypical cranked JCM800 sound? Something along the lines of the guitar sound in this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=njsKBNmakw0

Well, there were a lot of problems with the Univalve clips. If I weren't recording it as basically a dynamics demo I wouldn't have thrown them up - I put them together in a hurry for a guy on the HC forums asking some specific questions. For example, those clips were constantly hitting my preamp's FET limiter, which really choked the sound in general. They were also clipping my mics because of where I had placed them, once again ruining the tone. Finally, the mic placement was really bad for this cab, as I now know (and as ought to be apparent comparing the old Windsor clip and the newer Windsor clips) If you still don't like the Univalve after the next clips, then avoid it, because they will be representative of its sound - but please don't base your assessment off of the clips I already posted.

I don't know if I'll be able to crank the Windsor really, because the mics I'm using have no pad and are too sensitive (as already demonstrated by the cruddy Univalve clips) for 15W getting juiced, let alone 100W. But I can try to get it as close as I can. The Windsor is like JCM800 meets 5150, with plenty of Peavey in the mix - it isn't a Marshall, it just has a voicing reminiscent of that amp. I quite like it, I think it's better for high gain than the JCM800 boosted. I'll let you decide when the clips come in, I suppose.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 11, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My limited run Cadillac came into and it's loving amazing. It's snowing here so I had to take some quick snaps of my new Dean, but when I get good pics, you'll see how amazing the quilt top is. It's got a set of JB/Jazz pups in it. I threw my gibson in the last shot for the hell of it. The green is a very vibrant emerald, too bad it doesn't show in these.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
drat that's a very sexy finish on the Gibson!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

That tele is loving hot, and I dont even like telecasters that much.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

KcMsterpce posted:

It's my birthday present:
[sexy tele]

Happy Birthday!

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Caddy

gently caress, that is awesome. The Cadillac is easily my favorite Dean guitar, but it seems to be the most underrated of Dean's line.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

KcMsterpce posted:

Tele

This Tele is loving hot :fap:

Did you ever use to post on Shwack, by any chance?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

so I brought my Cadzilla to practice tonight, and man the looks I got. The JB/Jazz combo rocked the poo poo outta my Marshall. The V-neck feels like butter.

I can't wait to gig with it.

KcMsterpce
Jan 27, 2008

canoshiz posted:

This Tele is loving hot :fap:

Did you ever use to post on Shwack, by any chance?

Yeah, who the hell are you?

I still DO post on shwack lol

Oh, and thanks for loving my Tele. I do, too. teehehe

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Boom!

This thing was pretty cheap, and it sounds great. I can't wait to get my goddamn acoustic back from the luthier :(

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

pennywisdom posted:

Boom!

This thing was pretty cheap, and it sounds great. I can't wait to get my goddamn acoustic back from the luthier :(

What is that?

KcMsterpce
Jan 27, 2008

Handen posted:

What is that?

Looks to me like a Gibson headstock missing the guitar!

Bwahahaha

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

KcMsterpce posted:

Looks to me like a Gibson headstock missing the guitar!

Bwahahaha

I was asking about what is in that bag in the background you frickin moron!!!1!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Handen posted:

What is that?

Whoops, its a CAD GXL2200 Condenser.

edit : an sg

edit 2 : A box for my mixer.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

pennywisdom posted:

Whoops, its a CAD GXL2200 Condenser.

edit : an sg

edit 2 : A box for my mixer.

Did you score that on Craigslist? Because I browse the Calgary musical instruments page, too. And I'm gonna be so sad one of these days when I miss out on a sweet deal and it pops up in this thread.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I actually bought it new, but I'm on craiglist at least twice a day, haha. In fact, thats where I bought that '71 Gibson SG in the background for $400!

I'm currently prowling craigslist for a dirt cheap bass that I just use to record some backing tracks.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

pennywisdom posted:

I actually bought it new, but I'm on craiglist at least twice a day, haha. In fact, thats where I bought that '71 Gibson SG in the background for $400!

Oh man, post pics. I keep hearing a lot of stories of people finding vintage SGs specifically for $400. You wouldn't happen to know John Brooks of Lethbridge, would you?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Aeon posted:

It's been a project in the making for awhile, and now it's finally finished (at least for now, I might do a little bit of tweaks down the line).

Did you post this on the Fender Forum a while back?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Did some trading and ended up with this:

It's 100 watts (with 50 and 25 watt modes) and sounds delightful. From what I can see, it's somewhere between an 84 and an 87. It's got four 6L6C's for the poweramp and 3 12ax7s before that. Also, heavy like the whale.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 12, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

bisticles posted:

Did some trading and ended up with this:

It's 100 watts (with 50 and 25 watt modes) and sounds delightful. From what I can see, it's somewhere between an 84 and an 87. It's got four 6L6C's for the poweramp and 3 12ax7s before that. Also, heavy like the whale.

That's badass. Post up some clips?

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Handen posted:

Oh man, post pics. I keep hearing a lot of stories of people finding vintage SGs specifically for $400. You wouldn't happen to know John Brooks of Lethbridge, would you?

Can't say the name rings a bell no. I'm assuming you live in Calgary?

She has been played alot over the years, and it shows. The neck has been broken, some fucker sanded down the horns for god knows what reason, and the pickups have been switched out to a Dimarzio Dual Sound, and a PAF.

edit : oh, and he ended up selling the original trem system while playing at a show haha.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

pennywisdom posted:

I want to make love this loving guitar right now.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'll leave the string lube out.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
My bank account is crying and I don't give a poo poo.

I just bought this exact '69 Mustang Reissue from Elderly:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-14528.htm

And I just bought this Devi Ever Bit/Legend of Fuzz off eBay because I love the Hyperion that I won. It sounds like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170192336702

Prior to that I bought a Crowther Hot Cake off eBay, and it's basically the only overdrive that I will ever need. So goddamn transparent:

And around the same time I bought a Keeley modded ProCo Rat Vintage Reissue from The Gear Page:

I'm not convinced. It seems to lack some of the character that the ProCo Rat II had. Plus the lack of LED annoys me.

In the next month or two (HAHA WHO AM I KIDDING more like next paycheck), I will (probably) replace the pickups on the Mustang with Lindy Fralins, Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs, Kinman Noiseless strat pickups, or Fender Lace Sensors. I'm leaning towards the Fralins. I'll get it rewired as well and get a gold anodized pickguard.

I am insane.

(I will be selling the Catalinbread Hyper Pak to recoup losses)

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

My bank account is crying and I don't give a poo poo.

I just bought this exact '69 Mustang Reissue from Elderly:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-14528.htm

Dude, this is the EXACT guitar I'm pining over at the moment. And it's amazing that you found it for cheap ($525 compared to $699? Hell yeah!). I've been thinking about getting this model and replacing the pickguard with an orange one, or getting the Daphne blue model. Gaaaugh. :aaa:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

pennywisdom posted:

Can't say the name rings a bell no. I'm assuming you live in Calgary?

She has been played alot over the years, and it shows. The neck has been broken, some fucker sanded down the horns for god knows what reason, and the pickups have been switched out to a Dimarzio Dual Sound, and a PAF.

edit : oh, and he ended up selling the original trem system while playing at a show haha.

Ahh yeah I remember that one now. And no, I'm in Lethbridge, ready to drop what I'm doing to sprint to Calgary at the drop of a hat if something good comes up. John's a guy I jam with and he told me about someone he knew around here who also found an old SG for exactly $400 as well, so I thought there might be a strange coincidence.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Susano-maku da! posted:

And around the same time I bought a Keeley modded ProCo Rat Vintage Reissue from The Gear Page:

I'm not convinced. It seems to lack some of the character that the ProCo Rat II had. Plus the lack of LED annoys me.

ooh... Rat love seems to run hot and cold, but I love 'em. It sounds a little odd by itself, but when you get it cranking at band volumes, that's when it really shines.

And Agreed, I'll see about getting some clips, but my cab is at the band's practice nook.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Altered State posted:

Dude, this is the EXACT guitar I'm pining over at the moment. And it's amazing that you found it for cheap ($525 compared to $699? Hell yeah!). I've been thinking about getting this model and replacing the pickguard with an orange one, or getting the Daphne blue model. Gaaaugh. :aaa:

You're in luck!
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1793598
It's only $495 and it has a hardshell case and a DiMarzio strat rail on the bridge pickup.

I asked them about shipping and everything and it was going to be $20 from Pittsburgh to Virginia.

Also, remember that this one and the one I bought are '69 Reissues. The difference is that the pickups are Japanese made and the body is made of basswood instead of the current '65 Reissue's poplar (or alder, I forget what it is).

bisticles posted:

ooh... Rat love seems to run hot and cold, but I love 'em. It sounds a little odd by itself, but when you get it cranking at band volumes, that's when it really shines.

Oh I know, I sold my Rat II to buy the Keeley modded one. It's just that I'm not convinced that the mods make it better. It sounds fatter, but it seems to lack the character that the unmodded Rat did. I'm going to fool around with the filter knob some more, but I'm getting the irrational feeling that even if I like it, I'll probably still want to get a Keeley-modded smallbox Rat or Rat II just so it'll take up less pedal board space and have a goddamn LED.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

bisticles posted:

And Agreed, I'll see about getting some clips, but my cab is at the band's practice nook.

drat :) I've been thinking about expanding my tube head collection by trying to find a used V3, and I'd like to get an idea of the Carvin sound outside of some Vai recordings I have. Assuming he ever used it in them. :q:

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Susano-maku da! posted:

I am insane.

I think this thread lives vicariously through you.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

You're in luck!
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1793598
It's only $495 and it has a hardshell case and a DiMarzio strat rail on the bridge pickup.

I asked them about shipping and everything and it was going to be $20 from Pittsburgh to Virginia.

Also, remember that this one and the one I bought are '69 Reissues. The difference is that the pickups are Japanese made and the body is made of basswood instead of the current '65 Reissue's poplar (or alder, I forget what it is).

Thanks so much! One thing, though, I'm trying to get a white Mustang that's more of a "white" and less of a "yellowish-white" color. The photographs from Elderly looked a lot more "white" but I've been tricked before! So, if you don't mind, could you let me know the color of yours when you get it? Thanks. :buddy:

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Altered State posted:

Thanks so much! One thing, though, I'm trying to get a white Mustang that's more of a "white" and less of a "yellowish-white" color. The photographs from Elderly looked a lot more "white" but I've been tricked before! So, if you don't mind, could you let me know the color of yours when you get it? Thanks. :buddy:
It could be the lighting. The blemish shot shows it's actually white. The yellow/vintage white '69 reissues They look like this.. Then again, the pickup covers don't really match the color of the guitar.

If you really want a white, though, you'll have trouble in the long run. Most white paintjobs will turn "vintage white" with enough sunlight, just like how older daphne blue mustangs used to turn into "surf green."

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
My first synth!

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Los Padre posted:

I think this thread lives vicariously through you.

Yeah, I've posted alot of poo poo in here, haven't I? I'm about set for guitars though, I love my Ravelle to death and I'm hoping to make the Mustang my second guitar. The pedals are for trying out more than anything else... see what tone works best. I end up selling most of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm seriously looking into a Hiwatt Bulldog. I hate having to haul a 2x12 combo everywhere for jam sessions and it's way too loud for my apartment. :(