Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow! I just got to listen to the new Dark Fortress album, Ediolon. This is going to be a really great release! Nice mix of all things black and an appreance by T. Warrior himself. Fans of the black n' roll don't pass this one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomUsername
Apr 11, 2007

Street Butler posted:

I'm finally giving Alcest's new stuff a listen, and I have to say, I really love this. It's beautiful.

I thought this was a black metal thread?

Anyone else digging the new Blood of Kingu? Apparently its got some dudes from Drudkh in it. Personally I like it much more than anything Drudkh has put out. It's largely instrumental with the sparsely used vocals most comparable to chanting or throat singing. Musically its in the old DMDS Mayhem vein, reminds me a lot of Hell Militia.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Blood of Kingu is great. I like Drudkh/Hate Forest and all, but Blood of Kingu is a nice departure from the more atmospheric and slower stuff the other bands put out.

On a somewhat related note, how is the new Astrofaes album?

running from volcanoes
Feb 1, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! I just got to listen to the new Dark Fortress album, Ediolon. This is going to be a really great release! Nice mix of all things black and an appreance by T. Warrior himself. Fans of the black n' roll don't pass this one up.

After listening to the tracks on Myspace, I have to wholeheartedly agree. This is pretty much the first new black metal band since Drudkh that I've genuinely liked, so thanks for this.

Lemonade
Mar 11, 2006
Hau Ruck
I'm about halfway through Averse Sefira's new album right now, and its loving sweet. Anyone else snatch this yet?

SpaceNinja
Jul 24, 2002

by DocEvil
I'm going to have to mirror the earlier sentiments that French black metal has been great lately. I only recently (within the past year or so) discovered Deathspell Omega and Anorexia Nervosa, and they're both incredible.

I know it's been talked about quite a bit already in this thread, but I wanted to add that I think Gaahl and King finally giving the boot to Infernus was a good move, and I'm anxious to see what they put out next. I also happened to really love Ad Majorem Satanhas Gloriam.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
Apologies: couldn't read all of the topic but; does anyone know Bewitched - Diabolical Desecration; which they released in 1996 ? Before I wasn't into the "Black 'n Roll" style, I thought this album was really exceptional. I didn't use the "Black 'n Roll" term to define it, but I was mentioning that it's "kind of speed metal with black metal influences".

glassonion
Jan 7, 2008

by Fistgrrl
The clever title drew me in here and i dont even listen to metal.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
For those wanting some new old school bm, check out Exalted We Are the Grim Throng. Good stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pixelponny posted:

Apologies: couldn't read all of the topic but; does anyone know Bewitched - Diabolical Desecration; which they released in 1996 ? Before I wasn't into the "Black 'n Roll" style, I thought this album was really exceptional. I didn't use the "Black 'n Roll" term to define it, but I was mentioning that it's "kind of speed metal with black metal influences".

You must, and I mean must, get At The Gates Of Hell. It's one of my favorite metal albums and is very essential in my opinion.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Anyone with Comcast digital and a half hour to kill, Abbath is on OnDemand under the guitar lessons section playing Heart of Winter, handful of others.

It loving rules but it's abbath so it goes without saying.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Is anybody here going to the Inferno Festival (https://www.infernofestival.net)?
I'm planning on saturday to see Destruction, and of course Shining.

And you guys really need to listen to Lifelover. Never has pain sounded so good.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Morbid Florist posted:

Anyone with Comcast digital and a half hour to kill, Abbath is on OnDemand under the guitar lessons section playing Heart of Winter, handful of others.

It loving rules but it's abbath so it goes without saying.

theres acouple parts of this on youtube and while it is pretty awesome I'm just disapointed hes not wearing corpse paint.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mordekai posted:

Is anybody here going to the Inferno Festival (https://www.infernofestival.net)?
I'm planning on saturday to see Destruction, and of course Shining.

Yep. I live just outside of Oslo so of course I'll be there. Have my festival pass ready to go (there's at least some interesting stuff each day, and in between there's time for beer).

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Anyone hear of Dead Raven Choir? There's a new album out, My Firstborn Will Surely Be Blind, and it's actually composed entirely of cover songs, but if you didn't know that, you probably wouldn't ever know by listening. It's a tremendously interesting sound.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

glassonion posted:

Welcome!

Now go listen to some Immortal or Burzum, or we come for your soul.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brightfield posted:

Anyone hear of Dead Raven Choir? There's a new album out, My Firstborn Will Surely Be Blind, and it's actually composed entirely of cover songs, but if you didn't know that, you probably wouldn't ever know by listening. It's a tremendously interesting sound.

Sevenfold Songs Of Death is awesome even though it's really gimmicky. Have you heard his project Wolfmangler? It's hilarious.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

IntoTheNihil posted:

Sevenfold Songs Of Death is awesome even though it's really gimmicky. Have you heard his project Wolfmangler? It's hilarious.

I'll check it out.

edit: hehe, I like it. The double bass is just not used enough in metal these days! We should be calling this stuff black polka - all it needs is an accordion.

brightfield fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 9, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I really like Wolfmangler, it's like acoustic doom/drone or something. Really great if i'm in the mood for it.

AreYouIn
Aug 31, 2001

You've to be shitting me.

glassonion posted:

So why are you posting here?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I got back from seeing Wolves In The Throne Room last night; what an AMAZING gig. Team effort review here.

It was beautiful. I nearly cried.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I've been going through a spell of listening to the albums of the ancient South American greats (Vulcano, Masacre, Sarcofago, etc); are there any nowadays black metal bands that capture the primitive, sinister essence of these bands?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Even if you're not getting laid tonight, Abbath loves you just the same

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Haha, this is the gayest band picture ever taken. They're called Törr and are from the Czech Republic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mordekai posted:

Haha, this is the gayest band picture ever taken. They're called Törr and are from the Czech Republic.

And here I thought you couldn't outgay manowar. Torr makes Manowar look like John Wayne.

What ISN'T wrong with that picture

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Morbid Florist posted:

What ISN'T wrong with that picture

Honestly I don't want to look too hard to find out :psyduck:
It looks like a heavy metal band trying to be black metal or something tbqh.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Gvaz posted:

It's the crotchsax I'm most curious about, and why the other two are so loving happy about it

I played tenor in highschool and I never smiled about it like that, but I guess I should have tried being on the receiving end?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
The new hanzel und gretyl album came out yesterday...

Even though it's pretty repetitive sometimes, the chorus for most of the songs is just the singer (vas kellas, a girl :3) screaming the title of the song.

It's about a giant metal concert right before the apocalypse though, which is pretty god drat impressive.

For those of you who don't know who hanzel und gretyl are (everyone I know, even though most of them are at least acquainted with the whole metal/black metal/german metal scene have never heard of HuG for some reason...). It's an industrial metal/death metal group consisting of a girl and some dude. They have this whole nazi vibe going on, which i don't mind because their music loving rocks, and the singer loving rules. I'm not one of the people who says she's super loving hot, but i'd still hit it, which is also pretty drat impressive, considering she can sing death metal like nothing. The guy sings too, which is a pretty cool contrast, cause he sings all slick and smooth with no emotion while the girl bellows every word with pure rage.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

NeoSeeker posted:

The new hanzel und gretyl album came out yesterday...

Hanzel und Gretyl is pretty much firmly in the industrial metal camp, not black metal at all. They even dress up in that cybergoth garb you can find at any industrial night. Also, the German thing is a gimmick; they're both from New York City.

So yeah, I've known about them for yeeeeears and they've always bored me.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Getting back to new music, check out Gris "Il Etait Une Foret" (formerly Niflheim). If you're a fan of all the usual BM suspects (Burzum, Immortal, Darkthrone), you will probably dig this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I got back from seeing Wolves In The Throne Room last night; what an AMAZING gig. Team effort review here.

It was beautiful. I nearly cried.

Wow, I just checked them out on a whim due to their awesome name, and I'm loving it. Two Hunters is an awesome album so far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gvaz posted:

if "trying to be black metal" means "giving him a blowjob through a saxophone"

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Inquiring about a couple of new BM releases...

Gloria Morti's Eryx and Azaghal's Omega

Anyone heard positive reviews or otherwise of these? Dark Fortress's Eidolon has to be the most noteworthy black metal release of '08 thus far.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Inquiring about a couple of new BM releases...

Gloria Morti's Eryx and Azaghal's Omega

Anyone heard positive reviews or otherwise of these? Dark Fortress's Eidolon has to be the most noteworthy black metal release of '08 thus far.

I dunno man, I've been spending a lot of time with the new Vordr. There's also the new Celestia, new Grimbane, new Grivf and the new Nortt. This years shaping up to be real good :)

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Dyna Soar posted:

I dunno man, I've been spending a lot of time with the new Vordr. There's also the new Celestia, new Grimbane, new Grivf and the new Nortt. This years shaping up to be real good :)

I didn't know Nortt had a new one. How is it? What's it called?

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
I just got a bunch of albums the other day, and one of them Gris' "Il était une forêt..." (I think translates to "It was a forest") has knocked me out. If you don't like depressive (ambient) black metal, though, stay away.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

brightfield posted:

I just got a bunch of albums the other day, and one of them Gris' "Il était une forêt..." (I think translates to "It was a forest") has knocked me out. If you don't like depressive (ambient) black metal, though, stay away.

"Il était une forêt" echoes the traditional beginning of French fairy tales - "Il était une fois". I think it might translate into English along the lines of "Once upon a time in a forest". Sounds like that might fit the mood of the album (thanks for the recommendation, will check them out).

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Thanks! I don't know French but I put some of their lyrics that I found online in the AltaVista Babel translation tool. It's all about forests and dying children and cool poo poo like that. Probably doesn't make for a soundtrack to take along on a nature hike, but perfect for falling asleep to late at night.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Well, I finally figured out what the whole Burzum thing is about. Gotta say, I'm now a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."
recomend me some good japanese bm besides gnome and gorugoth