Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

16 Tons of Monkeys posted:

I liked this one.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/car/573133688.html

A 1990 Accord with 350,000 miles on it for $1650? Sweet deal!

If it wasn't for the rust, if it is as good as described, that could be a sweet deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

16 Tons of Monkeys posted:

I liked this one.

http://boulder.craigslist.org/car/573133688.html

A 1990 Accord with 350,000 miles on it for $1650? Sweet deal!

Those things do in fact last for loving ever.

notro man
Aug 23, 2006
I don't know, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a car with over 300k miles. Doesn't matter how much of a tank it is. Unless it's an actual tank, of course.

Sounds like he's just trying to get some of his money back that he just 'invested' into the car.

notro man fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 14, 2008

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.

notro man posted:

I don't know, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a car with over 300k miles. Doesn't matter how much of a tank it is. Unless it's an actual tank, of course.

Sounds like he's just trying to get some of his money back that he just 'invested' into the car.

I agree. I've owned several cars with mid-to-high 200k miles (295,000 was the highest), mostly Hondas (one Mazda), and never paid more than $700 for one. $1,650 just seems like too much.

Here's my contribution for today: 1967 Ford F-250 4X4 on 44” Boggers w/ 19” lift - $15000

craigslist posted:

Waisted motor, but comes with a good running 460 motor. Truck is complete but needs motor and exhaust installed. This truck is done right, no cut corners. Not beat on. Just needs a little TLC, been sitting for 6 years. Thousands invested – must see!!!!

$15k for a non-running, non-original project truck that's been sitting for over half a decade? Sign me up!

Edit: Found another good one - 1984 Toyota Landcruiser w/Cummins Turbo Diesel - $22000

craigslist posted:

One of a kind 4x4 truck. '84 FJ60 with a custom conversion to a Cummins 4BT turbo diesel engine. 2 year project, finished a month ago... Over 33K invested, sacrifice sale... Truck chassis has 195K, engine has 87K.
Granted, it's cool. But it's not $22k-cool.

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 14, 2008

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

What I don't understand is why so many swap projects end up getting sold right after the work is finished.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nitrox posted:

What I don't understand is why so many swap projects end up getting sold right after the work is finished.

I think when you work too close to something, when it becomes all-consuming, you just don't like it anymore. Compare loving your MG roadster and doing frequent fixups just to keep it running, as opposed to getting into a cycle of, I want to add that, need to upgrade this, etc. Eventually, it's not about the car anymore, and just a mentality of being a slave to the "project."

This is what happens with projects at work, too. They can start out exciting and meaningful, but at some point, you're just being whipped for this or that just to meet goals. And once you're done with that, you just want out.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Meh.

Everywhere I've ever lived (including Colorado!), ANY car that runs and drives (at all) is worth $500. If it runs smoothly and doesn't look like a shitbox, it's worth $1000.
A second set of tires and recent timing belt? Seems a fair "asking" price to me.
"Asking" being defined as "the price you'll talk 'em down from in the end".

Also - please copy/paste the ads, since the comedy gold value of the ad is inversely proportional to the projected lifetime of the link. =)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nanodroogie posted:

Edit: Found another good one - 1984 Toyota Landcruiser w/Cummins Turbo Diesel - $22000

Granted, it's cool. But it's not $22k-cool.

That is ridiculous, that is at worst $5,000, at best $9,000

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

v6 5speed camry?

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/car/573757806.html

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

glyph posted:

v6 5speed camry?

With 14 thousand miles since 92. Less than 1000 a year, I'm kind of amazed.

Doom Train
May 30, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

glyph posted:

v6 5speed camry?

While the Camry NEVER came with a manual transmission on their MZ-FE series, there are kits out there to convert them over to manual.

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!

pr0zac posted:

With 14 thousand miles since 92. Less than 1000 a year, I'm kind of amazed.

No doubt he's missing a zero. It's gotta be at least 140,000 miles.

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

!!!!!2001 CIVIC COUPE!!!!!! 14,000 OBO!!!!!! - $14000

craigslist posted:

im selling my 2001 civic coupe, its a manual, 4 cylinder 1.7L vtec. Clean title. 77,500 miles on motor/body. Need to pay off school loans so i must sell, im in no hurry to sell so im not gona get low balled if thats what your thinking...
***Please note, there were not heavy mods done to the engine it is completely factory***
Exterior mods:
(rice, rice, rice)
Interior/Engine mods:
(rice, rice, more rice)

With an asking price of $14k, my guess is he thinks 'low balling' is anything even remotely close to fair market value. Retail is about $8,300.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Doom Train posted:

While the Camry NEVER came with a manual transmission on their MZ-FE series, there are kits out there to convert them over to manual.
That's a 3VZFE and yes, they came with manual transmissions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nanodroogie posted:

With an asking price of $14k, my guess is he thinks 'low balling' is anything even remotely close to fair market value. Retail is about $8,300.

nvm. I'm dumb.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 15, 2008

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/573513860.html

Skank included?

Posterity quote:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

nanodroogie posted:

A few years ago when I was looking for a Civic to replace the one I had that got crushed by a tree I noticed this trend here. Every dealer lot with a Civic that I went to would not budge below $10k, no matter the condition or mileage.
I looked at a '91 with an inoperable passenger door that was caved in, no radio, no AC, an interior that was completely shredded like someone left Hooch in the car for a day, and almost 250k miles. The tires where bald, the steel wheels didn't match, the paint was flaking off in spots, and it didn't start until the fifth try.
The dealer absolutely REFUSED to budge from his $9995 asking price. He told me, verbatim, "These cars are extremely desirable right now what with high gas rices and all. I have other people interested in this car, but I will gladly sell it to you for $500 over sticker right now!"
What a loving deal!

I called him a worthless gently caress and left the lot. I happened to go by there eight (8) months later and saw that piece of poo poo still sitting there.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

frozenphil posted:

A few years ago when I was looking for a Civic to replace the one I had that got crushed by a tree I noticed this trend here. Every dealer lot with a Civic that I went to would not budge below $10k, no matter the condition or mileage.
I looked at a '91 with an inoperable passenger door that was caved in, no radio, no AC, an interior that was completely shredded like someone left Hooch in the car for a day, and almost 250k miles. The tires where bald, the steel wheels didn't match, the paint was flaking off in spots, and it didn't start until the fifth try.
The dealer absolutely REFUSED to budge from his $9995 asking price. He told me, verbatim, "These cars are extremely desirable right now what with high gas rices and all. I have other people interested in this car, but I will gladly sell it to you for $500 over sticker right now!"
What a loving deal!

I was looking for cars up here in Vancouver, I was actually on the phone with DJCommie/Baby Hitler at the time, I noticed a 99ish civic, non matching wheels, lovely altezza lights that were all fogged up inside, there was water inside the car, all the little interior bits, radio surround, door handle surround that kind of stuff was painted this lovely light blue and it was chipping off, they wanted something like 11 or 12k for it.

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

AcCeL posted:

I was looking for cars up here in Vancouver, I was actually on the phone with DJCommie/Baby Hitler at the time, I noticed a 99ish civic, non matching wheels, lovely altezza lights that were all fogged up inside, there was water inside the car, all the little interior bits, radio surround, door handle surround that kind of stuff was painted this lovely light blue and it was chipping off, they wanted something like 11 or 12k for it.

We get quite a bit of Civic price inflation here in Portland, along with any other car that is popular with the rice crowd. However, a month ago I bought a 2000 Integra GSR that is 100% stock for $8k from a dealer. $8k is below retail book value by a few hundred dollars to $1k, depending on which book you check. It can be done, it just takes a long time. I was looking for a while.

$6,000 over retail book value for a riced Civic from a private party is insane. I figure this kid took high retail value, added the total that he spent on the parts, and made that his price, not realizing that bolt-on mods don't make your car more valuable.

Edit: The second most expensive 2001 Civic on Portland CL is $11,000, and there were some nice ones in the $7-8,000 range. Maybe you should come here to buy your car?

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 15, 2008

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

*•♥•*Valentine's Day STEAL*•♥•* ---58000 ORIGINAL Miles---NO Rust!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/car/574227566.html

first $5K takes it

ugh.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/car/573936423.html

quote:

If your car gets 25mpg, 10,000 miles would cost you $1320 in fuel @ $3.30/gal.
This car averages 35mpg, and 10,000 miles would cost $943 in fuel @ $3.30/gal.
That is a $377 fuel savings for every 10K miles you drive.

thanks for helping me out with the math on that one, buddy.

glyph fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 15, 2008

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

nanodroogie posted:

I love the "Duralast gold battery" under the engine mods section.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

By the way, what the gently caress are "original miles"? I see this poo poo all the time and it makes absolutely no sense to me. Are they saying that the odometer hasn't been rolled back? Is that how many miles are on the chassis, but not the drivetrain?
I see it on tons of cars, even high end, Barrett-Jackson quality stuff, and I don't get it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

frozenphil posted:

*10000 dollar civic*

I called him a worthless gently caress and left the lot. I happened to go by there eight (8) months later and saw that piece of poo poo still sitting there.

I've never seen anything THAT bad in Northern AZ (which is as bad as I've ever seen), but a lot of stuff along the same lines. I look at a dealer lot and 4, 6 months later, nearly all the same cars are still there. There was a Cherokee that sat on one lot for 10 months. (In gorgeous shape, too)

I cannot comprehend how these places stay in business when they're so spectacularly good at NOT selling cars. Are they fronts for drug sales? Or do they really screw people over hard enough when they finally get one that it makes up for all the cars they aren't selling?

glyph posted:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/car/573936423.html

thanks for helping me out with the math on that one, buddy.

You'll make up that difference in maintenance costs, though.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 15, 2008

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

frozenphil posted:

By the way, what the gently caress are "original miles"? I see this poo poo all the time and it makes absolutely no sense to me. Are they saying that the odometer hasn't been rolled back? Is that how many miles are on the chassis, but not the drivetrain?
I see it on tons of cars, even high end, Barrett-Jackson quality stuff, and I don't get it.

i think it's a holdover from the days of the 6 digit odometers (99,999.9) when as soon as you cleared 100k miles you'd have a line of bagels on your odometer.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

glyph posted:

v6 5speed camry?

There's one for sale near Gainesville, FL, and the posting hasn't been deleted yet:
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/car/573830125.html

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

89 Crx, b18 gsr motor CLEAN - $3500

craigslist posted:

I have a 89 crx with the following mods,

gsr motor, integra typ r pistons, spoon vtec controller, chipped ecu, ls tranny, dc header, full exhaust (not too loud), cold air intake, intgra seats, integra dash, integra front end, coil overs, after market radiator

This car isnt a beat to poo poo kids car... VERY clean over $9000 invested... Front end conversion was done right...

Honestly, his price isn't completely outrageous, if the mechanicals are good, but...

Holy poo poo, would you look at that gap between the hood and the bumper! I bet his engine stays cool.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

There's one for sale near Gainesville, FL, and the posting hasn't been deleted yet:
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/car/573830125.html

mine was the next generation though. i've never seen that combo on that body style.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I predict that the top dollar car at the Barret Jackson 10 years from now will be a stock '91 CRX. With no rust.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
this is awesome:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/574262448.html

Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde going on.

if the url craps, the headline was for a Viggen, but the pics were of a Volvo 840

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nanodroogie posted:

89 Crx, b18 gsr motor CLEAN - $3500

Honestly, his price isn't completely outrageous, if the mechanicals are good, but...

Holy poo poo, would you look at that gap between the hood and the bumper! I bet his engine stays cool.

Also even in that small picture it looks like the bumper and body have mismatched paint.

And all those Integra parts are probably stolen.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Nitrox posted:

I predict that the top dollar car at the Barret Jackson 10 years from now will be a stock '91 CRX. With no rust.

Get 10 CRXs and 1 base Integra, and I'll bet you could build 2 or 3 stock rust free CRXs, and one Integra Type-R

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

VideoTapir posted:

Remember that thread about cinder blocks and how they should go if you're going to use them?

If a car falls in a forest and .. oh never mind that's a lovely joke.

Quick local one I found:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/car/572674778.html

OK what the hell is a "Chili Pepper" edition? Wiki and google are not turning up any "chili pepper" editions they do say in 98 chili pepper red became a paint option, so maybe only 500 were painted that color in 2000 and that some how makes the jeep worth $5000 more than even KBB says it is (which people tend to agree is already high to begin with)?

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

Nitrox posted:

I think you might be right: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CRX-SI-1987_W0QQitemZ320217005245QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320217005245

1987 CRX Si, fully stock, in pretty good condition, 57k miles, bidding is over $3,000 and the reserve isn't met. I'm searching for a first-gen CRX, and this makes me sad (my last one cost $250 - wish I would have hung on to it :( ).

Fake edit: Yes, I know these CRXs are primitive by comparison to the second-gen cars, but I love the first-gens and I can't explain it. I love the first-gen Integra, too, so there's obviously a trend here.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Impossible since they don't exist. It's like looking for a rust free, unmodified '32 Ford.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/544835934.html

monster engine - $210000

quote:

This car has $145000 worth of extras. I'm Asking $210,000 but I'll take the best offer. This SL65 amg has been customized and upgraded to the fullest extent. It's truly one of a kind. Candy painted with ferrari lime green & Silver paint. Intense stereo upgrades with 15 JL Audio speakers and 6 TV's.That includes 2 13 inch Tv's in it's Lambo doors. This Engine was fast before with it's V12 twin turbo now we made it faster. This 2 door convertible has 750HP. COMES WITH 4 YEAR WARRENTY!!!!!!!!!!

:psyduck:

They can't afford a loving digital camera? Or a word processor with spell-check?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Impossible since they don't exist. It's like looking for a rust free, unmodified '32 Ford.

Oh come now, you know SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has one. The Ford at least, good luck with the CRX.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Moruitelda posted:

monster engine - $210000

They can't afford a loving digital camera? Or a word processor with spell-check?

It's gotta be some random wackjob. There's no way you could fit all that poo poo into an SL65. An Escalade or H2, maybe but not a two door coupé.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

deviant. posted:

It's gotta be some random wackjob. There's no way you could fit all that poo poo into an SL65. An Escalade or H2, maybe but not a two door coupé.

MONSTER ENGINE

I have no idea what the gently caress is up with Upstate NY.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Moruitelda posted:

monster engine - $210000

Where the hell do you put 6 TVs in a 2 seater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

I really hope this ad is a joke...

Sports Car

craigslist posted:

This is a car that had many plans for the future, And has had over 10 grand invested into it but you can't keep a car immaculate unless it's always graged and never taken out, so I am forced to seel my car and I will take the best offer i recieve, The car starts and everything is good on it just it wont go into gear. any question feel free to call, if you want to look at the car we can arrang a time for you to view it. my cell is 503-xxx-xxxx, ask about the mazda.