Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Schwack posted:

It sounded like a neat idea, but christ, it seems like with $2k you could do a lot of stuff to a Miata.

You could buy a ground control setup and a set of 6ULs or the BEGI S turbo kit for $2k. Both better choices IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

leica posted:

responsiveness

sorry for being such a loving n00b, but responsiveness? Can you explain that one as well? I'm assuming it means how quickly it picks up from when you press on the throttle that bit extra, however, wouldn't more power mean this as well?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
I'm thinking about getting the Tein basic setup from 949racing for my '00 miata. It'll be my first mod to my miata. Anything else I need to order to make it all work? Any reason to upgrade to the SS or Flex system? The descriptions on 949racing almost say the exact same thing except with different names.

edit: To be honest I really just want to lower it a bit and replace the(most likely dead) stock shocks, and figure coilovers would provide a good starting point/"future-proofing."

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 15, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

willd58 posted:

I'm assuming it means how quickly it picks up from when you press on the throttle that bit extra, however, wouldn't more power mean this as well?

You're correct, the throttle response is instantaneous. And yes, you do get an extra 10 to 20 HP depending on the tune, which is not much compared to a forced induction setup and why some people think it's pointless. But those people have never driven an ITB car. :)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 15, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Why can't you wait and keep shopping? If you really want a Miata and you settle for something else, you're going to regret it. That's what happened to me.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 15, 2014

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

leica posted:

Wow, sounds like it's personal or something.

No, I just think his products are overpriced, and he has this nasty habit of posting up "endorsements" of his company and his products that don't really do either.

Here's a thread comparing his header to an RB header, including dyno charts, even though the RB header makes more power and more torque everywhere. The only reason his header "appears" to make more power at the top is because they stopped the RB header pull at 6000rpm, and let his header run to 6500rpm.

http://www.clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15111&highlight=post

The other thread that makes me laugh at anything that comes out of that shop is the one that's been deleted, but it was a dyno chart of Jimmy supposedly ripping 175whp squarely out of his rear end, complete with incorrect chart scales and a torque curve that didn't even match the horsepower curve. I believe someone paid for him to re-dyno his car, and the numbers suddenly matched - at 150whp.

Here's my essay post on that dyno chart. (written before I became a mod over there)

I'm no stranger to the world of throttle response, either. I've got a CR125 bolted to a shifter kart frame with a 38mm Keihin carb that will rev from a 1700rpm idle to about 12k in under a second. That thing has throttle response like an ITB owner cannot even dream of. Do I still think ITBs are overpriced and useless? Yeah. You guys can brag about throttle respose and the feel of the car all day long, and I'll just nod my head, smile, and ride a WAVE of mid-range torque that a built NA motor will never achieve.

edit: "BTW, the car is nowhere remotely close to street able. It takes an act of congress to move the car from a stop, and pukes and farts below 4k rpm. Its like drag-race rotary motors...every one I've ever seen has "barely" run."

Savington fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 15, 2008

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Savington posted:

I HATE FUJI RACING GNARGNARGNARGNAR
I honestly cannot agree with you more. ITRRRRRB's sound awesome but Jimmy's a tool, and his megafanboi "PandaTrueno" (ugh) is even worse. I'd rather ask questions in this Megathread than the whole Miata.net. You either get geezers or ricers, and nobody in between.

Now that I think about it, gently caress model-specific forums in general.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

brosef deluxe posted:

I honestly cannot agree with you more. ITRRRRRB's sound awesome but Jimmy's a tool, and his megafanboi "PandaTrueno" (ugh) is even worse. I'd rather ask questions in this Megathread than the whole Miata.net. You either get geezers or ricers, and nobody in between.

Now that I think about it, gently caress model-specific forums in general.

Its a breath of fresh air for me, really. A lot of geezers at least know their poo poo.

The Miata seems to be too 'gay' to attract the kind of bros that MR2OC was infested with. If you want some really stupid loving advice, hop into their RIMZ N TIREZZZZ forum sometime. Sure 17x9's fit, so long as you dont mind rolling your fenders with a baseball bat or just take some big rear end chunks out of your tires until they fit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Schwack posted:

Its a breath of fresh air for me, really. A lot of geezers at least know their poo poo.

The Miata seems to be too 'gay' to attract the kind of bros that MR2OC was infested with. If you want some really stupid loving advice, hop into their RIMZ N TIREZZZZ forum sometime. Sure 17x9's fit, so long as you dont mind rolling your fenders with a baseball bat or just take some big rear end chunks out of your tires until they fit.

I agree. While sometimes Miata.net irritates me to no end, at least there's not nearly as much sheer stupidity on there as most other car/brand-specific forums. Coming from bimmerforums it is a welcome change.

It may not be as "exciting" with all the geezers, but they tend to know what they're talking about. I don't tend to read the miata.net forum very regularly, but it's a great technical resource. Not very entertaining, like AI, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Savington posted:

:words:

Whatever man, I don't know about any of that poo poo. All I know is he invited me to his home to hang out and drive his car. He's a down to earth guy and is not out to scam anyone. He went to "Miatas at the Gap" and let anyone that wanted to drive his car drive it, including people that were badmouthing him and calling his ITB's "snake oil" on the miata.net forums. And as far as his car running, like I said, it ran perfect for me and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

quote:

Yeah. You guys can brag about throttle respose and the feel of the car all day long, and I'll just nod my head, smile, and ride a WAVE of mid-range torque that a built NA motor will never achieve.

:rolleyes: Some people like different things, imagine that.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Please don't stir up off-site poo poo, its far more immature than you could ever claim it isn't.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
I havent driven an ITB'd miata before, but i have driven a carbed one (ce28n's car, the one in modified mag) and watched it do a dyno run..

170k mile 1.6 with mikuni pph 40mm carbs, hks vpc, rb header, testpipe, and rsr exhaust put down 111whp tuned by a stoner.

thats 2 more than my 100k mile 1.8 with RB intake and RSR exhaust.

the power wasnt a big deal but the noise and feel of the great midrange response was really cool. I would do ITB's but I cant justify the price.

(felt alot better than my 1.8 even down low)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I still can't believe CE28N parted his car out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Baby Hitler posted:

Please don't stir up off-site poo poo, its far more immature than you could ever claim it isn't.

Why do you care? This is a Miata thread and the discussion is relevant to Miatas. No need to backseat mod. :colbert:

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
How can you identify whether a mk2.5 has a torsen or not. According to what I have read, the Euphonic (UK) edition had a LSD as standard on all 1.8 models, but the garage seem to think it doesn't have one and don't know how to identify it other than doing donuts in it.

I'm assuming there is another way?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

leica posted:

Why do you care? This is a Miata thread and the discussion is relevant to Miatas. No need to backseat mod. :colbert:

Because maybe I want to read a thread on SA about Miatas, not dumb poo poo about why you want to blow a guy when everyone wants to stone him. People posted facts about his cars having issues, you posted he's a nice guy so its all wrong. This has nothing to do with Miatas, and all to do with another forum.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

Baby Hitler posted:

Because maybe I want to read a thread on SA about Miatas, not dumb poo poo about why you want to blow a guy when everyone wants to stone him. People posted facts about his cars having issues, you posted he's a nice guy so its all wrong. This has nothing to do with Miatas, and all to do with another forum.

Stop back seat moding mate, its very relevant when were talking about ITB'd miata's, your just being an idiot.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Slothophile posted:

How can you identify whether a mk2.5 has a torsen or not. According to what I have read, the Euphonic (UK) edition had a LSD as standard on all 1.8 models, but the garage seem to think it doesn't have one and don't know how to identify it other than doing donuts in it.

I'm assuming there is another way?

Well, one way is to do a big clutch dump and if the back end starts to move sideways, it can indicate an LSD. If you're boring, though, there's a chart on miata.net that lists the different packages for each year, and you can look up what other options you have (leather, ac, etc) and see if they are part of a package that had an LSD.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

willd58 posted:

Stop back seat moding mate, its very relevant when were talking about ITB'd miata's, your just being an idiot.

He was point out how much man-love leica has for that dude with ITBs on his Miata.

somebody posted:

torsen

Call up Mazda with your VIN, they should be able to tell you.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Wait, what? Somebody carbed the BP? Anyone have details on how it works?

How are they handling spark & advance (assuming the ECU is nonfunctional)?

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

mobn posted:

Well, one way is to do a big clutch dump and if the back end starts to move sideways, it can indicate an LSD. If you're boring, though, there's a chart on miata.net that lists the different packages for each year, and you can look up what other options you have (leather, ac, etc) and see if they are part of a package that had an LSD.

Yes because I really want a dealership doing burnouts in my new car.

StankCheeze
Aug 4, 2003

Use racial slurs in AI?
Ban.
Actually racist?
Ban as well you whiny fucking bitch.
How much are yellow miatas REALLY worth? There's a 200k yellow automatic with original paint in good condition and a new top near me for 2500 bucks... Worth buying for profit?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

StankCheeze posted:

How much are yellow miatas REALLY worth? There's a 200k yellow automatic with original paint in good condition and a new top near me for 2500 bucks... Worth buying for profit?

Dunno how much profit you'll realistically make on an automatic Miata, regardless of the color. During my hunt, I saw the same ******~~*~*~** RARE AUTOMATIC OPTION **~**~***~***~** Miata's up for 6+ months.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Slothophile posted:

Yes because I really want a dealership doing burnouts in my new car.

I was suggesting you do it yourself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Baby Hitler posted:

The discussion was about Fujiracing ITB's, it has a lot to do with Miatas, and maybe if you have a problem with the discussion you should stay out of it? I don't necessarily enjoy your posts, but I don't bitch and complain about not wanting to read them. Also nice gay innuendo, that's an SA original. :rolleyes:

Phone posted:

He was point out how much man-love leica has for that dude with ITBs on his Miata.

Why don't you go blow your Miata. ;)

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

mobn posted:

I was suggesting you do it yourself.

It is about 100 miles away and I can't pick it up until next week.

:(

As an aside I have concluded the garage just have no idea, all signs point to torsen. Hooray!

StankCheeze
Aug 4, 2003

Use racial slurs in AI?
Ban.
Actually racist?
Ban as well you whiny fucking bitch.

Schwack posted:

Dunno how much profit you'll realistically make on an automatic Miata, regardless of the color. During my hunt, I saw the same ******~~*~*~** RARE AUTOMATIC OPTION **~**~***~***~** Miata's up for 6+ months.

I know nobody wants automatics, but sunburst yellow miatas really do fetch quite a bit more than other colors. If it were manual I'd buy it in a heartbeat because some m.net tard would pay $5k for it I'm sure.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I called Mazda about 6 times (~15 different VINs) when I was looking for a Miata. The various people I talked to said no problem and were really cool about it. I suspect I'm not the only person to have done that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Wrar posted:

I called Mazda about 6 times (~15 different VINs) when I was looking for a Miata. The various people I talked to said no problem and were really cool about it. I suspect I'm not the only person to have done that.
Yeah, they're pretty awesome about this.

amadeo
Oct 3, 2005

Refused Are Fucking Dead
Alright. Because I'm unfamiliar with all this steering wheel stuff and can't find anything that answers my specific questions, I'll ask here.

I'd like to install a quick release and new, larger wheel. The current Momo wheel that came with the car is blocking my view of the instrument cluster. I've been unable to find a 360mm (which I think is the size a wheel needs to be to not interfere with my view of the instrument cluster..) Momo or Sparco wheel, so I found this nice Nardi wheel. However, Nardi-compatable quick releases are nearly $300. So this is what I was looking at: this NRG quick release and this Nardi to Momo adapter.

I have a few questions before I do anything with these products: Will this work at all? Do I need a Nardi hub adapter or a Momo hub adapter? I appreciate the help, the last thing I want to do is pay for all this stuff and not have it work together. I'm interested in a quick release because of San Diego's auto theft problems.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Garage Vary front lip R-speed group buy ends today at midnight!! Obviously they don't come cracked.
http://rspeed.net/product_info.php?products_id=3378

destructo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 17, 2008

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

My front passenger side blinker is not working. The bulb is fine and it still lights up whenever I turn my lights on, but the when I turn on my blinker it will not blink. Any idea's or suggestions?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

Garage Vary front lip R-speed group buy ends today at midnight!! Obviously they don't come cracked.
http://rspeed.net/product_info.php?products_id=3378

Does it make an appreciable difference to front end grip or is it mostly aesthetic?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
You'll notice a change in highway stability, but you'll notice pretty much the same difference with the OEM R-package lip, and the OE lip can take some serious abuse (I hit a log with mine), whereas the Garage Vary is liable to crack or just straight up shatter if you hit something like a heavy autocross cone. Difference between hard plastic and soft plastic (GV vs. OEM).

I like my OEM quite a bit. Had my car up to quite unmentionable speeds yesterday and it still felt stable.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Savington posted:

You'll notice a change in highway stability, but you'll notice pretty much the same difference with the OEM R-package lip, and the OE lip can take some serious abuse (I hit a log with mine), whereas the Garage Vary is liable to crack or just straight up shatter if you hit something like a heavy autocross cone. Difference between hard plastic and soft plastic (GV vs. OEM).

I like my OEM quite a bit. Had my car up to quite unmentionable speeds yesterday and it still felt stable.

Where can I get the OEM spoiler? I do a lot of highway driving and getting rid of some of the highspeed floatiness would be nice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mobn posted:

Where can I get the OEM spoiler? I do a lot of highway driving and getting rid of some of the highspeed floatiness would be nice.

You can order it from a Mazda dealer, it's about $200.

Ize
Aug 1, 2006

I've seen the oem lip spoilers online for $150 but I'll be hosed if I can find the site now.

Edit: Here we go, http://www.mazdaparts.org/mamifrairdam.html

What the gently caress is going on this post was on the other page a minute ago, how did it move? Now it looks like leica went into the future and quoted me :psyduck:

Ize fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ize posted:

I've seen the oem lip spoilers online for $150 but I'll be hosed if I can find the site now.

Edit: Here we go, http://www.mazdaparts.org/mamifrairdam.html

That's a good deal, but after shipping it's almost retail anyway. Sometimes Mazda dealer parts will cut you a break if you ask them, especially if they have it in stock taking up space.