Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

jackyl posted:

06 LJ here (yes, not an official designation, I know) and trying to decide if March 1 is too soon to take the soft top off and go back to the safari.

Only if you want to tie my Toyota. I had the top and doors off at 10*, cruising around in a t-shirt and shorts on March 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

Aran posted:

Where is your Hi-Lift mounted exactly? That's not bolted to the hood is it? :psyduck:

Well, it's bolted to a Tough Stuff hood rack, which bolts on using the existing hood hinge bolts. If you're not familiar with them, you can bolt a Hi-Lift to it, and it also comes with various clamps for carrying shovels, axes, etc. They're pretty handy.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

OneOverZero posted:

instead of the ugly-rear end white one I'm stuck with now.
:colbert:

InediblePenguin's '96. Blew the head gasket at just under 200,000 miles.

You can't see it in that picture, but it has no rocker panels. There's the floorpan, the doorsill, and a foot-long hole in the where the gold trim should be under both back doors. Yay New York road salt!

My old SJ:

:cry:

(Ate a Ford Ranger that was doing 70mph. I wasn't hurt.)

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If it was produced by Ford, it's a GPW, not an MB.
That reminds me. The "gently caress with the newbies" question when my dad got into Special Forces in '69 was "How many Jeeps are there on Fort Bragg." The FNGs would go around counting, making lists of bumper numbers to make sure they didn't count any twice, then come back to their CO and give him their count, which was always wrong.

The actual answer was One. The General's staff car was a Willys; all the other quarter-ton utility trucks on base were Fords.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 16, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Aran posted:

Where is your Hi-Lift mounted exactly? That's not bolted to the hood is it? :psyduck:

I did the same thing, except I didn't buy the fancy rack. I made one that uses the hood hinges, replacing one of the hinge bolts with a bolt running up with the threads sticking out, a couple of nuts to clamp the hinge, a stainless 2" spacer, some washers and wing nuts.

Why exactly does a hi-lift on the hood warrant a :psyduck:?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

:colbert:

InediblePenguin's '96. Blew the head gasket at just under 200,000 miles.

You can't see it in that picture, but it has no rocker panels. There's the floorpan, the doorsill, and a foot-long hole in the where the gold trim should be under both back doors. Yay New York road salt!

My old SJ:

:cry:

(Ate a Ford Ranger that was doing 70mph. I wasn't hurt.)

That reminds me. The "gently caress with the newbies" question when my dad got into Special Forces in '69 was "How many Jeeps are there on Fort Bragg." The FNGs would go around counting, making lists of bumper numbers to make sure they didn't count any twice, then come back to their CO and give him their count, which was always wrong.

The actual answer was One. The General's staff car was a Willys; all the other quarter-ton utility trucks on base were Fords.

In '69 those "Fords" weren't GPWs, they were M151 MUTTs, which were made by Ford (among others). I doubt there were any other Ford "jeeps" there. The only other jeep-like thing they made was the GP series (GP, GPW, GPA) weren't made after 1945 and were replaced by the M38 in 1950 (which was then replaced by the M38A1 in 53, which was finally replaced by the M151 in 59).

Interestingly enough - the M151s were never "officially" sold as surplus. It was easy to go fast and roll them so the military was supposed to cut them all in half. Somehow though we've had about 6-8 come through our military vehicle restoration shop in the last 20 years.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Johnsmithindustries posted:

Haha, YES.

Why the hell would I dump nearly all my money and a significant portion of my free time the last 6 years restoring then dieseling an old Jeep that is uncomfortable, problematic, ugly, loud, slow, too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer?

For that one time I drove into the summer sunset on a winding country road with the top off and the wind in my hair. I will never forget it.

So you finally swapped in a diesel? Why no project thread? I demand more pictures! :argh:

And it's not ugly by the way. :swoon:

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

leica posted:

So you finally swapped in a diesel? Why no project thread? I demand more pictures! :argh:

Yeah, commandos are awesome, just nearly impossible to find, or if you find one it is very expensive.

I'd love a jeepster commando.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

N183CS posted:

Meep Meep!!!
My first car was a 52 Willys M38. I've still got it, I just live 5000 miles from my parents house where it is stored. I did a total restoration between 1999-2002. These are the only pics I have of it online right now, taken somewhere in mid-restoration. The M38 was basically a military version of the CJ3A. It has lots of funky changes like dual battery boxes, lifting rings, uprated springs and axles and a host of other little stuff.
We are doing a similar project with my buddies 54 willys. It has been torn apart for the last 4 years or so and he only needs a couple hundred bucks worth the parts to get it rocking again. I have been bugging him extra hard recently because I want to drive it this summer.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I did the same thing, except I didn't buy the fancy rack. I made one that uses the hood hinges, replacing one of the hinge bolts with a bolt running up with the threads sticking out, a couple of nuts to clamp the hinge, a stainless 2" spacer, some washers and wing nuts.

Why exactly does a hi-lift on the hood warrant a :psyduck:?

Maybe it's just me, but a 15-20lb jack on an light piece of sheet metal just doesn't seem very safe for that piece of metal.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/car/575034644.html

Why am I always broke when something sweet comes up on CL? I really wish I had some funds to pick this truck up.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Delivery McGee posted:

That'd only work if there weren't any M-715s. They say 'Jeep' in pretty drat big letters across the tailgate.

Since those are Kaiser vehicles, by extension the M35 would count as well. Kaiser made quite a few of those.

Disciple of Pain posted:

Interestingly enough - the M151s were never "officially" sold as surplus. It was easy to go fast and roll them so the military was supposed to cut them all in half. Somehow though we've had about 6-8 come through our military vehicle restoration shop in the last 20 years.

Some of them got out as parts, some of them escaped before they were decided not to be surplused, but most were just welded back together.

Aran posted:

Maybe it's just me, but a 15-20lb jack on an light piece of sheet metal just doesn't seem very safe for that piece of metal.

Those mounts are on the cowl.

That doesn't mean the hood wouldn't be fine. Haven't you seen expedition rigs with the spare tire mounted to the hood?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

The King of Swag posted:

Here we go:

98' Wrangler checking in; 4.0L I6, 5-speed manual, D44 rear and all the other good stuff you could get. As I've said before, this thing can make just driving to the store seem like a huge adventure. That is what is so great about Jeeps.

How does the windshield hinge work?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Aran posted:

The fancy mount and the one I made use the hinges as mounting points, which are steel. I used thick washers on the under side of the hood and the top of the hinge.

I have the tie downs and windshield rests off because I'm gonna rivet black diamond plate on that raised area and I may put them back.

Other places people mount jacks are in the back across the rear wheel wells, some have mounted on/to the roll bars on the sides, or to the rear bumper/cross member all of which I would say are worse places than the hood.

I keep the handle in the box in the rear, the jack is really too big to put anywhere else.

Of course you can't fold the windshield down this way but I USUALLY don't. This is temporary for me until I get the rear bumper/tire carrier. I'll get a new jack then as well since the one I have is 10 years old.

Burgertime!
Mar 21, 2003

Oh Mr. Hot Dog, what WON'T you do?

The King of Swag posted:

Here we go:

98' Wrangler checking in; 4.0L I6, 5-speed manual, D44 rear and all the other good stuff you could get. As I've said before, this thing can make just driving to the store seem like a huge adventure. That is what is so great about Jeeps.

Sup Chili Pepper Red TJ buddy!

Burgertime! fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 1, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
And if you want to get it dirty in a hurry, take the fender flares off.

I'm in the middle of replacing my YJ flares with TJ flares.

Edit: Summer time picture.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 16, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is my old 89 YJ. It had the 4.2L, and the lovely smog equipment, combined with a sticky EGR, combined with my lack of carb knowledge at the time, spelled its demise. I loved her to death though :cry:

I'd like to buy a new 4-door Wrangler when I get my focus paid off.

EDIT: Also, why is the title to this thread not "BEEP BEEP WHO GOT THE KEYS TO THE JEEP" :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 16, 2008

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Ziploc posted:

How does the windshield hinge work?

There are a couple torx bolts on both sides of the windshield that lock it into place. To lower the windshield, you simply take those out and disconnect the front part of the roll bar that attaches to the windshield (take the knob out and they pop right out). Then you can fold the windshield down and use the footman loops to keep it tied to the hood.

BONUS ROUND
Feb 9, 2007

:catdrugs:
I've been interested in a 90's cherokee 4x4 for a towing/exploring car for a long time and they go for cheap around these parts 1-5k. With that being said what year should I be looking for and what things should I be wary of when I go to buy one these bad boys?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My new toy, a '99 SE 4x4, just a bit over 80k miles so it's barely broken in :)

The fender flares are off getting a Forever Black treatment, which is a black dye that works excellent and makes the flares look new.

4.0 litres of bats in a cave FURY:

This doesn't look good (see fluid on tire) :( leaky inner axle seal. Project thread soon to come on this.

Johnsmithindustries
Oct 14, 2005
I wanna be an astronaut

leica posted:

Yes, I dropped in a 3.9L Isuzu Turbodiesel (4BD1T), a GM 700r4 auto, and a NP241 transfer case.

The swap was hard, but not un-doable. It just required a whole lot of $$$ and fabrication. The biggest issues were ALL clearance issues.

I'll work on a project thread, but I lost a lot of the in-progress pictures, unfortunately.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Can I play? '04 Rubicon Wrangler.

It surprises me every time we go rock crawling how awesome it is. It laughes at stuff my decked out '95 YJ had a hard time doing.

I've done very little to this one so far, it just doesn't need much. 2" Rubicon Express BB Lift, Hi-Lift jack, CB/Ham radio, skid plates on engine, both diffs, and steering box. That's it and it has no trouble doing 4 - 4.5 trails if driven carefully and have a good spotter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Johnsmithindustries posted:

:words: Diesel :words:

I......Love.....this!

I just bought a 1985 Cherokee Laredo, diesel is in its future...

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Jeep was a term often used to describe new recruits or unproven vehicles.

Heh, Not trying to thread poo poo but the history student in me just had to correct this.

There are a lot of ideas about where the name "Jeep" came from, but two are the most likely ones. The first comes from the Ford designation of "GP" this is probably the most well known theory although many make the mistake of thinking that "GP" stands for "General Purpose" it actually stands for "G"- Government and "P"- Was the vehicle class of a 4x4 1/4 ton truck.

Also likely and probably my favorite theory is that the vehicle was named after a magical comics character named the "Jeep"

The Jeep was a sidekick in the Popeye comics, a character that would be known to pretty much every G.I. since those books were often part of the materials sent to G.I's during the war. The Jeeps powers included doing anything and going anywhere, its easy to see how American soldiers impressed by the rugged performance of Ford's GP Vehicle would have made the connection and given it the name, Jeep.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
I say, which way to the soccer field?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Heh, Not trying to thread poo poo but the history student in me just had to correct this.

There are a lot of ideas about where the name "Jeep" came from, but two are the most likely ones. The first comes from the Ford designation of "GP" this is probably the most well known theory although many make the mistake of thinking that "GP" stands for "General Purpose" it actually stands for "G"- Government and "P"- Was the vehicle class of a 4x4 1/4 ton truck.

Also likely and probably my favorite theory is that the vehicle was named after a magical comics character named the "Jeep"

The Jeep was a sidekick in the Popeye comics, a character that would be known to pretty much every G.I. since those books were often part of the materials sent to G.I's during the war. The Jeeps powers included doing anything and going anywhere, its easy to see how American soldiers impressed by the rugged performance of Ford's GP Vehicle would have made the connection and given it the name, Jeep.

The Geep term was around during World War 1 as well, some time before that. That is what I was talking about

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Honk.

Ahh that picture brings back good memories, and it was only last year! Can't wait for some more. '89 Cherokee 4.0L 5 Speed, rusted all to poo poo. Gonna paint it Tremclad glossy black this spring :)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I <3 Jeep

This was on my way to Kodiak Island from Fairbanks. I went down to Valdez, over to Anchorage, down to Homer then hopped on a ferry to Kodiak. Awesome trip and Jeep was an awesome travel buddy. Which is good since I am driving down to Texas this May.

Jeep in front of Donnlley Dome on the Richardson Highway.

Nothing done to it yet. 4.0, 5 speed, etc. I hope to one day plop a diesal under the hood.

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch
Ahh, I miss my old 85 and 99 XJs - I sold my last XJ to buy a Mazda 3... Curse you gas-mileage-temptations! Curse you and your fuel economy ways! :argh:

No matter, I'm going to go shopping for a JK once Uncle Sam sends me my refund.

titler
Feb 18, 2005
We got a JK (08 Unlimited Rubicon 6spd) last week, took it out this weekend for some tame fun. With no one to pull us out if we got stuck, we didn't do anything that was likely to get us stuck. New front bumper with winch is on the way.

This was before we adorned the brand new paint with pinstripes when the trail narrowed. :D The flares are also scratched to poo poo, and that's how we like it.

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

Where you're going, there are no jokes.

Aran posted:

The hood is tougher than you might think.
Mine flew up going 55mph the other day and wasn't really damaged badly enough for me to care.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Pacific Rim Job posted:

We got a JK (08 Unlimited Rubicon 6spd) last week, took it out this weekend for some tame fun. With no one to pull us out if we got stuck, we didn't do anything that was likely to get us stuck. New front bumper with winch is on the way.

This was before we adorned the brand new paint with pinstripes when the trail narrowed. :D The flares are also scratched to poo poo, and that's how we like it.

If you like scratches, you'll love the interior plastic.:v:

Did you disengage the front swaybar?

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Pacific Rim Job posted:

Sup Rubicon buddy. I have an 08 two door rubi, it continues to surprise me on where it can go, but some upgrades are definetly on the way.

titler
Feb 18, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

If you like scratches, you'll love the interior plastic.:v:

Did you disengage the front swaybar?
Yeah we scratched the interior plastic up already also. Not even doing anything crazy, just from stuff like putting something on the dash to rest momentarily, then taking it off. I want to remove all the carpet and Rhino Line the inside anyway, obviously the aesthetics aren't that important.

I did, yes. Was hoping to get a good flexin' shot. Sadly someone ended up in the picture I took from the front, so that's the only one I got.

sw0cb posted:

Sup Rubicon buddy. I have an 08 two door rubi, it continues to surprise me on where it can go, but some upgrades are definetly on the way.
We haven't found anywhere that even comes close to challenging it yet. Other than the bumper, driving lights, and winch, we haven't planned anything else. What are you going to do to it?

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

The hood is tougher than you might think.
Mine flew up going 55mph the other day and wasn't really damaged badly enough for me to care.

I guess I'm just paranoid.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Pacific Rim Job posted:

Yeah we scratched the interior plastic up already also. Not even doing anything crazy, just from stuff like putting something on the dash to rest momentarily, then taking it off. I want to remove all the carpet and Rhino Line the inside anyway, obviously the aesthetics aren't that important.

I can't understand how Chrysler went from plastic that actually is pretty hard to scratch in the TJs to plastic you can scratch by breathing on in the JKs. Interestingly enough though, in the last one or two "ask the Jeep engineers" chats on Jeepforums, the engineers flat out said that they find the JK interior uninspiring and were strongly hinting at already working towards a redesign of the interior.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
My wrangler current has a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, normal 5-speed manual transmission.

Recently I have noticed several 6-cylinder engines for sale in my area for about $150 each. To me, this seems like a ridiculously bad idea, as I am used to hearing about decent engines(for any car) costing several thousand dollars. Am I wrong, is this how much reliable 15-year old engines go for?

What are the pros and cons of switching out to a bigger engine? I don't plan on doing any hardcore 4-wheeling, but I would like to take the thing on some rather long road trips. Will there be a huge difference in my MPG, or would such a sacrifice be pittance for the extra speed and power?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Toot! Toot!

My 1984 Cherokee Pioneer. Whopping 2.5L 4 cyl engine. Some days can make 55MPH up hill on the 65MPH interstate. All with about 10 miles per gallon! YAY! It's a hoot in 4 low off-road though. I have NOT had it stuck yet. Too many new parts to list.

It runs.. It was free. Painted OD green with a roller. Pinned the doors for easy removal in the summer. It even has working A/C!

Since the '84, I have owned an '86, 87, '99 and currently have a '92.

Thanks waffleimages!

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 20, 2015

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

1992 Limited.

My first and current vehicle. No rust!

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Pacific Rim Job posted:

I did, yes. Was hoping to get a good flexin' shot. Sadly someone ended up in the picture I took from the front, so that's the only one I got.
We haven't found anywhere that even comes close to challenging it yet. Other than the bumper, driving lights, and winch, we haven't planned anything else. What are you going to do to it?

Pretty much those things you just listed, and a cb. Then probably a lift and nicer tires cause i can. My plastic bumper is all dented from rocks already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Boomerjinks posted:

Recently I have noticed several 6-cylinder engines for sale in my area for about $150 each. To me, this seems like a ridiculously bad idea, as I am used to hearing about decent engines(for any car) costing several thousand dollars. Am I wrong, is this how much reliable 15-year old engines go for?

Generally they go for more than that, but nothing compared to what you would think they would. There are a lot of 4.0L engines out there and that really helps to drive prices down; it is one of the most heavily produced engines ever in various forms.

Boomerjinks posted:

What are the pros and cons of switching out to a bigger engine? I don't plan on doing any hardcore 4-wheeling, but I would like to take the thing on some rather long road trips. Will there be a huge difference in my MPG, or would such a sacrifice be pittance for the extra speed and power?

The 4.0L gets the same mileage as the 2.5L; the only downside is the huge bitch of a task it is to swap as you'll have to also put in the heavier transmission for the 4.0L.

Going off on a tangent

What really amazes me is the extended history of the engine. We are talking about an engine that in its very original form was conceived over 70 years ago and first produced over 60 years ago. Undoubtedly, everything attached to or controlling the engine have changed drastically as time has gone by and even the heads have been overhauled time and time again (despite the overall head design remaining the same), but the bottom end is the same old general design that it has been for longer than any of us have been alive.

Now, in case people are confused, keep in mind that the 4.0L is simply the youngest child of this I6 family, a family that has belonged to Nash, AMC, Chrysler and more; a engine design that has seen many iterations (4.2L, 4.0L, ect) but was always kept around because it did what it did, better than anything that had come before or since.

It is infuriating that the 4.0L is the last of the I6 family as Daimler killed it for no other reason than internal politics. The official response when it was killed off was that it couldn't meet smog, but any half-wit could tell you another redesign on the head would do the engine wonders. For christ sakes, Chrysler in the mid 90s had a working redesign of the head that didn't do much for fuel mileage but severely reduced emissions and boosted the power of the engine.

Like the similar project for the Chrysler 2.2L (which produced a 24v head that reportedly did so well, it would still makes new 4-bangers look like absolute crap), it was killed because of cost.

God drat bean-counters!

Sorry about that, I'm just very passionate about stuff like this because it seems like every car I like had so much wasted potential because the companies that produced them didn't want to spend the money.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 20, 2008