Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kaso posted:

I have a ubuntu PC with two network interfaces, however my router's DHCP software (as far as i can work out) doesn't want to give me two IPs because both interfaces are broadcasting the same hostname.

Is it possible to force each interface to broadcast a "virtual" hostname of some kind?
Could be easier to set the other one to use a fixed IP, but I'm not sure what benefit you think you would get and using two NICs could cause problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maji
Jun 24, 2004

How does that feel?
Alright, to start off, I am a complete linux newb, but I decided to give ubuntu (gutsy gibbon) a shot. I am running a dell inspiron e1505 and knew about problems before hand I would have with both my wireless card (broadcom) and my ati mobility x1400. I got the wireless to work, and when I enable the restricted fglrx ati drivers and restart I have a higher resolution, but there is a crazy graphic lag with everything. Moving windows, scrolling in firefox, etc.

Ive googled high and low for answers on how to fix this but I have had no luck yet. I know people have gotten the x1400 to work properly.

When I do fglrxinfo it says that everything is ATI, but if I do grep | OpenGL, it says that my OpenGL stuff is mesa, which is no good.

Thanks in advance. Id really love to get the snazzy desktop.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a way I can use GRUB in the MBR and still boot Windows XP, for instance if it's installed on the second primary partition? Every site I go to keeps telling me to keep the Windows MBR. Is there a specific reason for that? I thought the boot sector on the install partition should suffice, which I guess would chainload?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
does anyone have any experience sharing files between ext3 and XMBC using samba? When I try to connect Im prompted for a password even tho I never set one up. I forget the command I used but I invoked a no username/password needed command for samba.

I can however access the data off my external NTFS drives tho.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Toiletbrush posted:

Is there a way I can use GRUB in the MBR and still boot Windows XP, for instance if it's installed on the second primary partition? Every site I go to keeps telling me to keep the Windows MBR. Is there a specific reason for that? I thought the boot sector on the install partition should suffice, which I guess would chainload?

That's pretty much the most basic boot-windows-with-grub, what's complaining?

DOS-style MBR does the same, but only selects the 'active/bootable' partition.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, every HOWTO I've read is all like "Waaaaaaaaah don't install GRUB into the MBR", which I don't get why I shouldn't. Apparently Vista's going to poo poo its pants when you do, but I'm not going to install Vista.

What I want is Solaris on the first primary partition, Windows XP on the second primary and chainload the regular boot sector to be found on the second partition.

Though I'm now considering gambling on WINE. It's basically all about being able to run Spore in Fall without wiping the disks to make space for Windows at that date (on my newly ordered notebook).

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the search is down.

Can anybody recommend a good media player? I'm looking for something that has similar functionality to winamp for windows. I want to be able to browse my music by artist or album or whatever.

edit: I feel like an idiot. Right after posting this I found rythmbox already installed on my machine, and it seems to do what I want.

Roctor fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 18, 2008

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Roctor posted:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the search is down.

Can anybody recommend a good media player? I'm looking for something that has similar functionality to winamp for windows. I want to be able to browse my music by artist or album or whatever.

edit: I feel like an idiot. Right after posting this I found rythmbox already installed on my machine, and it seems to do what I want.
Personally I found Exaile better than Rythmbox but they're pretty much different flavors of the same fruit. amaroK is great if you run KDE.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Marinmo posted:

amaroK is great if you run KDE.

Is this a limitation? I'm running Gnome (ubuntu) and Amarok, and there are no problems whatsoever. I guess I had to install some KDE libs, but that's certainly not a hassle if you use Synaptic or something equivalent.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mr. DNA posted:

Is this a limitation? I'm running Gnome (ubuntu) and Amarok, and there are no problems whatsoever. I guess I had to install some KDE libs, but that's certainly not a hassle if you use Synaptic or something equivalent.

You must have one of those newfangled 540MB hard drives that can hold gnome AND kde libraries.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Mr. DNA posted:

It can run fine under gnome, yes. It just will use a bit more resources.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Oh wow, I just upgraded my kernel and Im immediately noticing a HUGE speed boost when surfing the internet. Ive always thought there to be a noticeable difference in browsing speeds between XP and Linux.

Anyways, how can I go about changing the boot/login images?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

rugbert posted:

Oh wow, I just upgraded my kernel and Im immediately noticing a HUGE speed boost when surfing the internet. Ive always thought there to be a noticeable difference in browsing speeds between XP and Linux.

Anyways, how can I go about changing the boot/login images?
What distribution are you using? The GDM/KDM control panel should be installed by default on most distros. For GNOME systems it's called gdmsetup

Ubuntu has a program called startupmanager that can change your boot settings. I don't know about other distros.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Grey Area posted:

What distribution are you using? The GDM/KDM control panel should be installed by default on most distros. For GNOME systems it's called gdmsetup

Ubuntu has a program called startupmanager that can change your boot settings. I don't know about other distros.

Fedora 7. Well I want to use my own images, not the installed themes.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Grey Area posted:

Whoa, I didn't know this existed. I've got Gnome, KDE, and XFCE installed on my Ubuntu box. They were installed at different times, so I think right now I've got the Kubuntu boot screen, and XFCE GDM graphics, and I'm actually running Gnome. This should provide an easy way to set everything back to the Gnome stuff.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
I'm building an OpenVPN virtual server and I'm embarassed to say I don't know what I need to have in order to compile a simple C program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 JEOS, have installed gcc using apt-get, but whenever I try to make I get complaints that all kinds of basic stuff is missing, like stdio.h and string.h. I'm pretty sure there's got to be some big development package I need to install, but I just can't figure it out. What am I missing?

ribena
Nov 24, 2004

Hag.

Sock on a Fish posted:

I'm building an OpenVPN virtual server and I'm embarassed to say I don't know what I need to have in order to compile a simple C program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 JEOS, have installed gcc using apt-get, but whenever I try to make I get complaints that all kinds of basic stuff is missing, like stdio.h and string.h. I'm pretty sure there's got to be some big development package I need to install, but I just can't figure it out. What am I missing?

The build-essential package contains a lot of the basic stuff for compilation.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

It works! Thanks!

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is anyone familiar with Zope?

I need to know where it stores its web documents so I can get webalizer working but I cant seem to find them anywhere (and is also listed as a virtual package I asked about earlier).

apache.conf has this include:
Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/

and that file contains nothing but virtual host entries all with DocumentRoot
/var/www/mysite.rugbert.com/html

so should I assume thats where the documents are being server from? Cause they aren't there. Im just trying to get webalizer to dum its output in the same place the documents served from.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

I need to know where it stores its web documents so I can get webalizer working but I cant seem to find them anywhere (and is also listed as a virtual package I asked about earlier).
Zope serves documents out of its own data store. That data store is kept in your Zope site's "instance home" under the 'var' directory with the name Data.fs. It's a big-rear end ZODB blob.

quote:

Im just trying to get webalizer to dum its output in the same place the documents served from.
You have a couple options... since you're running Zope behind Apache, you could us an Alias statement to make a special http://www.domain.com/stats URL that gets served from Apache while the rest of http://www.domain.com still gets served through Zope.

There are also external filesystem objects that you can put into your Zope site that are able to reference files on the actual filesystem, but those are generally better for static data... probably not appropriate for Webalizer reports since they change and grow with each run.

Third option is to find a way to push the Webalizer output into Zope's database itself. You generally can do that via FTP or WebDAV.

That said, I'd suggest the Alias approach as the ideal one... the other two would only be for exceptionally weird circumstances.

That help any?

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB

Kaso posted:

I have a ubuntu PC with two network interfaces, however my router's DHCP software (as far as i can work out) doesn't want to give me two IPs because both interfaces are broadcasting the same hostname.

Is it possible to force each interface to broadcast a "virtual" hostname of some kind?

I can't think of any good reason to have two separate interfaces with different IPs on the same subnet. And if you could get it to work, the DHCP server would try and set itself as the default gateway on both interfaces. You can only have one default gateway, so that would also cause errors or strange behaviour. I think you're probably trying to do something that you don't actually want.

If you tell us what you're trying to achieve, we can probably give you a better solution.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

Is it impossible to make my PAM radius module use CHAP or MS-CHAP? I don't feel comfortable using PAP on the network my radius client and server sit on.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

Zope serves documents out of its own data store. That data store is kept in your Zope site's "instance home" under the 'var' directory with the name Data.fs. It's a big-rear end ZODB blob.

You have a couple options... since you're running Zope behind Apache, you could us an Alias statement to make a special http://www.domain.com/stats URL that gets served from Apache while the rest of http://www.domain.com still gets served through Zope.

There are also external filesystem objects that you can put into your Zope site that are able to reference files on the actual filesystem, but those are generally better for static data... probably not appropriate for Webalizer reports since they change and grow with each run.

Third option is to find a way to push the Webalizer output into Zope's database itself. You generally can do that via FTP or WebDAV.

That said, I'd suggest the Alias approach as the ideal one... the other two would only be for exceptionally weird circumstances.

That help any?

so I added this line
Alias /webalizer "var/www/mysite.rugbert.com/webalizer"

so going to http://mysite.rugbert.com/webalizer would bring me to the stats page webalizer created? Because it doesn't seem to work

also - Should this line be in the apache.conf file or the site-enabled/referenced file?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 20, 2008

Drock
Mar 14, 2002
Derek
In os x when I do "open file.ext" from the terminal it opens the file based on the extension. So when I do "open file.pdf" it opens the pdf in preview and "open file.html" opens the file in firefox. This is awesome pants!

How do I make my linux box do this?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Drock posted:

In os x when I do "open file.ext" from the terminal it opens the file based on the extension. So when I do "open file.pdf" it opens the pdf in preview and "open file.html" opens the file in firefox. This is awesome pants!

How do I make my linux box do this?

The "see" program, which is normally part of a package like "mime-support". It is primarily configured using the "/etc/mime.types", "/etc/mailcap", and "~/.mailcap" files, all of which have manpages.

Drock
Mar 14, 2002
Derek

ShoulderDaemon posted:

The "see" program, which is normally part of a package like "mime-support". It is primarily configured using the "/etc/mime.types", "/etc/mailcap", and "~/.mailcap" files, all of which have manpages.

We have a winner! Thanks.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

so I added this line
Alias /webalizer "var/www/mysite.rugbert.com/webalizer"
If that isn't a typo, you should have a leading / in front of var. Since it's a directory alias, you might also want a trailing slash after the webalizer alias, and then be sure to visit http://mysite.rugbert.com/webalizer/.

Also you're going to need URLs matching that Alias line to be excluded from any of the rewrite rules you're using for Zope... see example below.

quote:

also - Should this line be in the apache.conf file or the site-enabled/referenced file?
Should be in the sites-enabled config snippet. That's included in apache.conf, but it's cleaner to put the Alias along with the rest of the site config, and if you're using VirtualHost definitions it's pretty much required.

Here's a code snippet for a similar situation I have on one of my Zope servers. In this case it's not webalizer, but the pipermail archives for a mailing list... but same thing - a big directory of HTML that's not served through Zope.
code:
Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

RewriteEngine on
RewriteLog "/var/log/apache2/rewrite.log"
RewriteLogLevel 0

# Don't rewrite static content into Zope
RewriteRule ^/pipermail - [L]

# Use mod_proxy and Zope's VirtualHostMonster to serve Zope from behind Apache
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:9673/VirtualHostBase/http/www.sample.com:80/site_main/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [P]

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dumb as hell question:

I'm trying to install some nvidia drivers, and I need to kill the x session before I can do this. How do I get to just a terminal in Ubuntu (7.10 I think)? I tried "init 3" which worked for me in CentOS, but doesn't seem to work in Ubuntu.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Xae posted:

Dumb as hell question:

I'm trying to install some nvidia drivers, and I need to kill the x session before I can do this. How do I get to just a terminal in Ubuntu (7.10 I think)? I tried "init 3" which worked for me in CentOS, but doesn't seem to work in Ubuntu.

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

But you're probably better off finding a pre-packaged version of the drivers, which will automatically keep them up to date and make sure they're properly integrated with the rest of your setup, as well as being much easier to install.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

ShoulderDaemon posted:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

But you're probably better off finding a pre-packaged version of the drivers, which will automatically keep them up to date and make sure they're properly integrated with the rest of your setup, as well as being much easier to install.

Confirming this. Go to System -> Restricted Drivers Management and you should have the option to automatically enable the proprietory nVidia drivers from there.

If it doesn't display there, then open synaptic (System -> Synaptic Package Manager) and search for a package like nvidia-glx-new or similar.

If you just install the drivers yourself, you will need to reinstall this every time your kernel gets upgraded which will be a pain if you're not comfortable with Linux.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

Should be in the sites-enabled config snippet. That's included in apache.conf, but it's cleaner to put the Alias along with the rest of the site config, and if you're using VirtualHost definitions it's pretty much required.

yes that was a typo.

ok so in the apache2/site-enabled/mysite.rugbert.com file (where all the virtual host information is) I added
code:
        Alias /webalizer/ "/var/www/mysite.rugbert.com/webalizer/"
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteLog "/var/log/apache2/rewrite.log"
        RewriteLogLevel 0
but it doesnt work. I just get the the 404 page the site uses.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

We recently got a cheap Dell server with a PERC 5/i controller. It currently has 3 80GB drives in a RAID 5. It's running Redhat 5.

If I boot into the perc 5/i setup utility, everything looks fine: it shows the three drives in one logical volume and the size is correct. When I df -h, I get a bunch of poo poo that I don't understand... mostly because my knowledge of Linux is comparable to a toddler:

code:
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 3.9G    489M    3.2G  13%    /
/dev/sda3                       190M     20M    161M    11%   /boot
tmpfs                           2.0G       0     2.0G   0%    /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol05  3.9G    137M   3.6G   4%    /home
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol03  3.9G    137M   3.6G   4%   /tmp
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02  7.8G     3.5G   3.9G  48% /user
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol04  3.9G    968M   2.8G  26% /var
Ok, so I have a bunch of mounted logical volumes or something. This doesn't really look surprising to me, but on my previous install, my volume mounted on / would've contained the remaining free space. In this case, it looks like I should have ~140G or so sitting somewhere. This is how the machine came from Dell. We have done virtually nothing to it at this point.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

ok so in the apache2/site-enabled/mysite.rugbert.com file (where all the virtual host information is) I added

but it doesnt work. I just get the the 404 page the site uses.
I think you're still missing some parts... or I am not clear on the rest of your Apache config. First of all, is the 404 page you're getting served out of Zope? Sounds like it is... that's definitely an indicator that the rewrite isn't working. From the snippet you posted, I can see why - all you did was turn the engine on, but you didn't give it any rules.

But here's the thing - I would have expected RewriteEngine to already be on in order for Apache to sit in front of Zope. Can you post the chunk of Apache config where it's wired up to serve the Zope content? If it's not a Rewrite thing, I'd guess it's a ProxyPass setup.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Un-l337-Pork posted:

We recently got a cheap Dell server with a PERC 5/i controller. It currently has 3 80GB drives in a RAID 5. It's running Redhat 5.

If I boot into the perc 5/i setup utility, everything looks fine: it shows the three drives in one logical volume and the size is correct. When I df -h, I get a bunch of poo poo that I don't understand... mostly because my knowledge of Linux is comparable to a toddler:

code:
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 3.9G    489M    3.2G  13%    /
/dev/sda3                       190M     20M    161M    11%   /boot
tmpfs                           2.0G       0     2.0G   0%    /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol05  3.9G    137M   3.6G   4%    /home
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol03  3.9G    137M   3.6G   4%   /tmp
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02  7.8G     3.5G   3.9G  48% /user
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol04  3.9G    968M   2.8G  26% /var
Ok, so I have a bunch of mounted logical volumes or something. This doesn't really look surprising to me, but on my previous install, my volume mounted on / would've contained the remaining free space. In this case, it looks like I should have ~140G or so sitting somewhere. This is how the machine came from Dell. We have done virtually nothing to it at this point.

It looks to me like you've got your drives set up as an LVM. You can try vgdisplay as root to display the space that has not been allocated to a volume group. noted here as "free pe"

code:
$ sudo vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               MainVG
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  11
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               1
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               298.06 GB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              9538
  Alloc PE / Size       9538 / 298.06 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               V8gga5-Y03y-pIC9-D52j-D1EU-wrce-xtLHDO

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Dell set you up with LVM. Your space is there, it's just unallocated. This is a good thing - it lets you take that remaining space and apply it where and when you need.

LVM has three layers:
code:
Physical Volumes (PV)
  Volume Groups (VG)
    Logical Volumes (LV)
In your case, your PERC 5/i is presenting one PV, /dev/sda. It looks like Dell created a single VG that encompasses all that physical space. Inside that VG, they created 5 (or 6, one is missing from your list, it's probably swap) LVs. If you were to type "vgdisplay VolGroup00" you'll get a report containing some lines like this:
code:
  VG Size               406.03 GB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              12993
  Alloc PE / Size       4126 / 128.94 GB
  Free  PE / Size       8867 / 277.09 GB
You should all of your ~160GB for "VG Size". Then under the Alloc Size, you'll see that maybe only 20GB is taken, and under Free Size will be your missing ~140GB.

To utilize that, you can either use 'lvcreate' to make some new logical volumes and mount them where you please, or 'lvextend' to add more space to one of the existing volumes. Of course once the LV itself is extended, you'll then have to expand the actual filesystem... resize2fs is the tool you'll want for that.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Thanks guys -- I spent a half-hour googling, but I didn't understand what I was looking for in the first place. This forum continues to amaze me with it's incredible level of helpfulness.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

What's a lightweight login manager I can configure to show login names, and require no password? I setup gdm on my parents computer, but it's too slow.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

I think you're still missing some parts... or I am not clear on the rest of your Apache config. First of all, is the 404 page you're getting served out of Zope? Sounds like it is... that's definitely an indicator that the rewrite isn't working. From the snippet you posted, I can see why - all you did was turn the engine on, but you didn't give it any rules.

But here's the thing - I would have expected RewriteEngine to already be on in order for Apache to sit in front of Zope. Can you post the chunk of Apache config where it's wired up to serve the Zope content? If it's not a Rewrite thing, I'd guess it's a ProxyPass setup.

Ok thanks, Ill post it on Monday. I was really hungover most of today so I didn't feel like computering today.

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
I want to make a 15 Gb big encrypted disk image, something like a sparse disk image in OS X, but I can't find any information about how to make one. Is it impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Hildgrim posted:

I want to make a 15 Gb big encrypted disk image, something like a sparse disk image in OS X, but I can't find any information about how to make one. Is it impossible?

I think sparse file support depends on the filesystem, but TrueCrypt might be useful.