Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

WaffleZombie posted:

Oh, and the Streetlight show in Philly is actually on May 2. They're a great band, but they can't be in two places at the same time. And you can go to their site to preorder tickets.

According to the list I posted from the Victory site, they won't have to be in two places at the same time ;)

Hopefully the TBA date on April 28th is RI so I can selfishly see Streetlight two nights in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
(I really, really, really should post in this thread more)

Saw The Aquabats last night in NYC. It was the first non-extremely local show I've gone to that I don't regret seeing, and sweet jesus I must do this more. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I might pay the price for a one-day pass to The Bamboozle just for Streetlight, but I'd rather just have to drive an hour or two and not pay $50 for one band I really want to see and a bunch of bands I don't.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Aquabats

For a second I thought that they were on tour and got really excited. Turns out I was wrong. So, so, so wrong :(

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

seventeen posted:

For a second I thought that they were on tour and got really excited. Turns out I was wrong. So, so, so wrong :(

Yeah, they were doing a show for various media types to promote somethingorother and their pilot, I dunno. Point was they did a 11-song set with DJ Lance Rock as the opener, tickets were cheap, and I live in New Jersey.

Oh, and this guy was there. And this guy. And me, the rear end in a top hat who ruins the candid by looking directly into the picture.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

One day I'm going to be an Aquabat for Halloween.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Thornes posted:

One day I'm going to be an Aquabat for Halloween.

I wish there was a way to get more than just the eye mask from their website. I know they've sold the uniforms before but is that only a limited time thing? Also, how do you become a member of the cadets? On their site they have a replacement ID card for the cadets, but I can't seem to find out how to be one. Apparently you get some nice goodies for signing up

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Do they still sell the coloring books? :v:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

WaffleZombie posted:

To Josh Wow...Looks like someone's moving up in the ska world. Weren't you originally in Maladroit Mafia? Actually, that's a rhetorical question, I remember buying the cd from you. I've never listened to Taj Motel Trio before, but that live stream is sounding fantastic. I should be able to make it to your show in Philly on March 15th. I'll buy the album then.

Yea I was in Maladroit, and Taj is way more awesome. If you can make it out to the Philly show that'd be great, come say hi and I'll give you some free stickers/pins/whatever. I'm pretty sure that's the show we're playing with the Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause who are pretty awesome pop-punk/ska. I saw them at Ska Weekend this year and they were a blast.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Seeing you guys talking about Streetlight's latest show has gotten me even more excited about seeing them again in a week. They're playing with Sonic Boom Six, but I've found I only really like one of their songs. Has anyone else here seen them live? Are they any good on stage?

On a related note, does anyone have any recs for more female-fronted ska? I love Dance Hall Crashers and Save Ferris already, but finding more along those lines is apparently difficult.

LAST QUESTION: Are any of you going to any of the Dropkick Murphys shows in Boston next month?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

demolition rickshaw posted:

LAST QUESTION: Are any of you going to any of the Dropkick Murphys shows in Boston next month?

I'm going to the early show on the 15th at the Tsongas Arena. I wanted to go to all the shows but ticketmaster was being a huge piece of poo poo the day they went on sale and by the time I got to buy them they were all gone.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Found a Taj Motel Trio show in Boston via facebook! :) It's March 11th at the Midway Cafe (3496 Washington Street). 6PM :10bux: The only opener I recognized was Senior Discount, but the other bands playing are The !ndiscretion, A Wrench in the Spokes and apparently more TBA

I'll 100% definitely be there to support you and your mates Josh Wow

seventeen fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 20, 2008

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

On a related note, does anyone have any recs for more female-fronted ska? I love Dance Hall Crashers and Save Ferris already, but finding more along those lines is apparently difficult.

You should check out Stalking Roxy although they aren't together anymore.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Tip the Van are kind of Dance Hall-ish and they have a song on the Ska Is Dead comp. One and Done is also a pretty good band from Gainesville and I believe One Pump Chump are from around there too, both have chick singers. Come to think of it Chupaskabra are from Gainesville too and have a chick singer, you can just google around for their myspace pages.

seventeen posted:

Found a Taj Motel Trio show in Boston via facebook! :) It's March 11th at the Midway Cafe (3496 Washington Street). 6PM :10bux: The only opener I recognized was Senior Discount, but the other bands playing are The !ndiscretion, A Wrench in the Spokes and apparently more TBA

I'll 100% definitely be there to support you and your mates Josh Wow

Awesome, come say hey if you make it out. We're still working on finalizing that tour but here's our shows so far:

Mar 7 2008 6:00P CBCC’S at Chester Bistro Chester, Virginia

Mar 8 2008 7:30P Funk’n Waffles Syracuse, New York

Mar 9 2008 5:00P TBA Plaistow, New Hampshire

Mar 11 2008 7:00P The Midway Café Boston, Massachusetts

Mar 14 2008 7:00P The PLP Hall Manchester, New Jersey

Mar 15 2008 7:00P Circle of Hope Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

So if anybody can make it to any of those shows it'd be awesome. Our myspace is normally fairly up to date with show times and who we're playing with, and it'll definitely be up to date before we actually leave for the tour. I'm super pumped for the Philly show because we're playing with Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause and they were awesome when I saw them at Ska Weekend.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 20, 2008

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Tip the Van is alright. It's a dual female vocals dance rock band similar to the Dance Hall Crashers. I was friends with Nicole for a little while until their touring schedule got too hectic. They're not too shabby and worth checking out if they come to the area

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

First let me second Stalking Roxy. They only released one full length, but it's fantastic. It's a heavier ska/punk I guess, and it's on Jump Up! Records.

Yeah, the Philly show should be great. I've seen the Last Martyrs twice now, and they put on a damned good show. It'll be good to see them headline. They're easily the highlight of the Philly ska scene. Unrelated, but I wore their t-shirt on a flight a couple of months ago. Halfway through security, I noticed I was getting eyed up by a lot of TSA people. And I realized that wearing a shirt that simply says "Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause" on an airplane probably isn't the best of ideas. Thankfully I only got eyeballed, and not strip searched.

Josh, if you don't mind my asking, how did you get into Taj? I've always wondering how established bands recruit new members. Did they know you from playing a show together? Did you have to audition? How difficult is it fitting into a band that's been around for so long? If you don't want to answer any of those questions, I understand. I've just always wondered about that, but I guess I've never really had someone to ask.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

Josh, if you don't mind my asking, how did you get into Taj? I've always wondering how established bands recruit new members. Did they know you from playing a show together? Did you have to audition? How difficult is it fitting into a band that's been around for so long? If you don't want to answer any of those questions, I understand. I've just always wondered about that, but I guess I've never really had someone to as

I saw Taj for the first time when I was a junior or senior in high school and they totally blew me away, and then the first weekend I was in college there was a killer show (streetlight/big d/asob/taj/flaming tsunamis) down in Georgia (I'm from SC) and I didn't have any friends to go with me but I went anyway. Since I knew absolutely no one at the show the only person I talked to was the guitarist/singer for Taj and he was really nice, we just shot the poo poo about bands I had seen them play with. Later that semester I was on their myspace checking out dates to see when they were going to come by again and saw that they were looking for a bassist, so I shot them a message saying I was interested. They sent me some mp3s and a bunch of tabs for their songs and told me to let them know when I was ready to come down and try out.

So I started practicing these songs and about a month later I went down to Georgia to try out. Turns out I wasn't really listening to the songs as well as I should have and since the tabs were kinda confusing I was loving up a lot of the songs so it wasn't the greatest audition ever but I nailed a decent amount of the songs and apparently I'm the only person to ever really play Be Myself right the first time on an audition, so that really impressed them. A week or two later they had me come down and play half a show, which means that they had a local show and I was going to play about half the songs (since that's all I knew) and their bassist they had now was going to play the other half. The show went fairly well and they were impressed with good I did on stage, but since I was a broke college freshmen with no job and they lived 3 hours away, nothing really happened after that.

I saw them a couple of times the next year and a half at shows they were playing or just ska shows in Georgia that some guys in the band went to, so we would hang out at the shows. Then October of last year I'm sitting around on a Thursday morning studying for a spanish quiz when I get an IM from our guitarist asking me if I wanted to go to New Jersey and New York to play 3 floors of ska that weekend with them. Turns out the guy they had lined up to play the shows crapped out on them at the last minute and they couldn't find anybody else to do it. They were just going to go and play without a bassist, but our guitarist was scrolling down his AIM list and saw my name. So I say hell yea, email all my professors for classes that I have the next 2 days, let my boss know I'm not coming into work and start practicing the songs I didn't know. Luckily it was always in the back of my mind that I still wanted to play with Taj so I would periodically practice the songs, and it paid off since I didn't have to learn like 15 songs, just 5 or 6. They came and picked me up and we fine-tuned the songs on the way up to New Jersey and we rocked a show there then the next night went to New York and played 3 floors which was killer. I had gotten along with everyone in the band and had a lot of fun and since I now had a job it was possible for me to afford to drive 3 hours each way every time Taj had a show, so I started playing with them. I've been playing with them ever since and I'm moving down to Georgia when I graduate in May so I don't have to make this stupid 3 hour drive every time we have a show.

drat that was long. Short answer: I had an audition then took an opportunity for some shows when it arose that paid off. It wasn't difficult at all to fit in and I really got along with the guys in the band.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

dates

Have you ever considered CT? I'm not sure if there'd be much interest, however. Maybe a future tour?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Lazlowrocks posted:

Have you ever considered CT? I'm not sure if there'd be much interest, however. Maybe a future tour?

We wanted to do a CT date but couldn't find anybody help us set up a show. We're definitely gonna try to hit it in the future.

Windelkron
Dec 13, 2004
:D

Josh Wow posted:

We wanted to do a CT date but couldn't find anybody help us set up a show. We're definitely gonna try to hit it in the future.

I can probably help you set up a show either at toad's or the madison arts barn. I don't have plat so I dunno if a PM will work, but send an email to greatcaesargg@gmail.com .

To contribute to the thread, I have an opportunity to go see Westbound Train in NYC this weekend, but I have a shitload of work to do and I might be going alone... worth it or not worth it???

Hawkstein
Sep 30, 2006

And if I can't see it's for want of you.
Anybody in the Chicago area should really go and see The Toasters tomorrow. The lineup is solid as hell and, well, it's The Toasters.

Hawkstein fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 22, 2008

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Josh Wow posted:

drat that was long. Short answer: I had an audition then took an opportunity for some shows when it arose that paid off. It wasn't difficult at all to fit in and I really got along with the guys in the band.

Yeah, it might have been long, but it was a great read, and I really appreciate you indulging me. It's really cool that things worked out like that for you. Congrats.

In other tour-related news, Sonic Boom Six is crossing the pond to play some dates with The Flaming Tsunamis.

quote:

Sonic Boom Six, an amazing punk/ska/dub/hip-hop/reggae band from the UK, (just off European tours with bands such as The Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, and Streetlight Manifesto) will be coming over to do a short 2 week tour in the US in support of the US release of their Album - Ruff Guide to Genre Terrorism, on Asbestos Records!

Joining them on the majority of the dates will be east coast ska-core giants The Flaming Tsunamis .

Be sure to pick up Ruff Guide to Genre Terrorism on CD or 2xLP!
(http://www.asbestosrecords.com)

Check em out on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/sonicboomsix) or on the tour!

March 27th @ Asbury Lanes - Asbury Park NJ w/ TFT
March 28th @ Brandeis Univ - Waltham Mass w/ TFT
March 29th @ Midway Cafe - Boston Mass w/ TFT - ALL AGES - 4pm
March 29th @ Midway Cafe - Boston Mass w/ TFT- 18+ -9pm
March 30th @ Funkin' Waffles - Syracuse NY
March 31st @ Michalina's Club - Buffalo NY
April 1st - TBA
April 2nd - TBA
April 3rd - Philadelphia PA - Venue TBA w/ TFT
April 4th @ Wallingford Amleg - Wallingford CT w/ TFT
April 5th @ Knitting Factory ***Version City Party!*** w/ TFT & Bombtown

Of course, it now looks like the Philly show won't happen, as Phillyska doesn't think they can properly host a show with a mostly unknown headliner on a Thursday. So I guess I'll be going up to Asbury or hoping for some closer dates on those TBAs.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Uh, apparently the English Beat and RX Bandits are playing in NYC next Saturday. There is a slight chance I might be staying in the city for that weekend and would get the chance to go, but anyone else who is around should check it out.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

seventeen posted:

Tip the Van is alright. It's a dual female vocals dance rock band similar to the Dance Hall Crashers. I was friends with Nicole for a little while until their touring schedule got too hectic. They're not too shabby and worth checking out if they come to the area

I like Tip the Van a ton, but sometimes the singing in fourths really really pisses me off, as far as gimmicks go. It adds some nice harmonies a lot of the time but it just doesn't fit other times.

PurpleTowel
Jan 7, 2004
I just now got into Ska.

I started listening to RBF after my 300th viewing of the movie Baseketball. I fell madly in love with some of their songs, especially "Cheer Up" and "Drinkin". I thought that was as good as it got, until a friend of mine recommended Streetlight Manifesto.

Ho-lee poo poo.

I've devoured all their stuff, and I'm getting into the older Catch-22 stuff now. It is marvelous. So far my favorite is "Mephisto's Cafe", which I gather is about being someone without faith in a world dominated by religious extremism.

Who do you guys recommend I listen to next?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

PurpleTowel posted:

I just now got into Ska.

I started listening to RBF after my 300th viewing of the movie Baseketball. I fell madly in love with some of their songs, especially "Cheer Up" and "Drinkin". I thought that was as good as it got, until a friend of mine recommended Streetlight Manifesto.

Ho-lee poo poo.

I've devoured all their stuff, and I'm getting into the older Catch-22 stuff now. It is marvelous. So far my favorite is "Mephisto's Cafe", which I gather is about being someone without faith in a world dominated by religious extremism.

If you haven't covered The Mighty Mighty Bosstones or Big D And The Kids Table yet, now would be the time.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

PurpleTowel posted:

I just now got into Ska.

Ho-lee poo poo.

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview

A world where people think "Hello Rockview" is better than "Losing Streak" is a world I don't want to live in. Check them both out though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Both of those are fantastic albums and would be right up the alley of someone into RBF. :) I do think Hello Rockview is a bit more accessible than Losing Streak, though. Initially I liked Rockview more, but these days I tend to gravitate towards Losing Streak.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Reel Big Fish is a great band that gets so much better after hearing them live. I've seen them 4 times but if you can't get to them, get their live album: Our Live Album is Better than Your Live Album

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I feel kind of dumb sometimes but when I was in 8th grade I was REALLY into Less Than Jake and the Aquabats (back when they you know, had horns) but now I don't really care for them much. I don't avoid them or anything, but they're just bands I seem to have grown out of.

I can pretty much throw on RBF at any point in time, though. All my friends (even the non-ska ones) know the words to Beer.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

WashinMyGoat posted:

A world where people think "Hello Rockview" is better than "Losing Streak" is a world I don't want to live in. Check them both out though.

Then you'll just have to kill yourself :colbert:

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Reel Big Fish is a great band that gets so much better after hearing them live. I've seen them 4 times but if you can't get to them, get their live album: Our Live Album is Better than Your Live Album

Once you've heard that live album, you will never have to see RBF live. Their live shows (or atleast the 3 I've been to since they released it) have been almost exactly the same as their live cd. I could swear even their between song banter is the same. Not exactly exciting, and I love RBF.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

PurpleTowel posted:

I whole heartedly endorse the Toasters and the Specials. They're two great throwbacks. If you're lucky enough to have the Toasters come out to your area, definitely check them out. They're a fantastic show. Other than that, I also recommend "The Return of the Aquabats!" by the Aquabats, Operation Ivy (though they're more of a blend of punk and ska than just straight up ska), Skankin Pickle (their live disc is probably their most accessible), The Voodoo Glow Skulls (a great ska punk band who have an amazing live show), Dance Hall Crashers, and The Suicide Machines. From there, just check out what bands they've toured with and you'll probably find a ton of new music through there. Merry skankin! :dance:

Edit: Forgot about Westbound Train. They're a great Boston band that blends ska and reggae. Highly recommended!

Edit 2: Oh! And MU330!

Lep Levwet
Apr 10, 2007
So, I've been into Ska since I was wee. I had friends that were rudies and punks before it became cool. In fact we all were a little pissed when ska became big in the late 90s, because suddenly jerks in school were talking about it as if they had known about them the scene forever.

I kept with it, I'm a sucker for more is better when ti comes to bands. I mean, you can do so much solo with one instrument, but adding more on, and more on, and more on, and making it work? Oh that makes me happy.

Early Bosstones and LTJ were what first got me into it. Save Ferris was great, Reel Big Fish was/is amazing, I could go on and on. But I'm bad with names, but I remember things like Skankin' Pickle and such and wonder if it was just a dream. I lost touch with all of those friends after a move, sadly.

But I remember at a warped tour, when it used to actually be more of a punk/ska event and not trash, that the Skatalites were there, and they got upset at all the people trying to crowdsurf and stopped playing and made an announcement "Okay everybody, now this next song is for skanking not for surfing, so keep your feet on the ground and get to dancin!" Everyone cheered. It was great.

I've found that recently MySpace has proved useful in finding ska bands, I've aquired quite a few records due to finding people there. Especially thanks to a few of the podcasts (Ska Skank Radio for one) are really nice.

So I'll toss another band onto the list: Sofapunch they aren't together anymore. I highly recommend giving them a listen, a shame they're not together anymore.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Lep Levwet posted:

Especially thanks to a few of the podcasts (Ska Skank Radio for one) are really nice.

That is a brilliant idea! I had never even thought to look for any Ska podcasts. I'm subscribing to that one right now

Lep Levwet
Apr 10, 2007

Thornes posted:

That is a brilliant idea! I had never even thought to look for any Ska podcasts. I'm subscribing to that one right now

Wow, I just went and listened to it (hadn't in a while) and its really hit or miss.

The first few were incredible.

Of course, since he only runs those unsigned you're going to have stuff that's not super amazing at times.

So where does everyone else get their ska? I mean, shows of course have been mentioned, friends.. but are there any solid publications anymore? Or sites? Or the aforementioned podcasts?

SNAKEZONE
Jul 2, 2003

But what if I don't want to ride the snake?

seventeen posted:

I wish there was a way to get more than just the eye mask from their website. I know they've sold the uniforms before but is that only a limited time thing? Also, how do you become a member of the cadets? On their site they have a replacement ID card for the cadets, but I can't seem to find out how to be one. Apparently you get some nice goodies for signing up

I know this is kind of a late answer, but the rashguards and anti-negativity helmets go up periodically as they get more in stock, but you're kind of boned on the cadet card. they stopped those a while ago.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

seventeen posted:

Other than that, I also recommend "The Return of the Aquabats!" by the Aquabats,

Hmm, I think I liked Charge! more than Return. Get them both though.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Lazlowrocks posted:

Hmm, I think I liked Charge! more than Return. Get them both though.

Not hating on Charge! I really don't think they've released a bad album yet. Some of their B-sides are fantastic as well, particularly "Cold Raw Gold". I remember hearing stories that they never play it live or released it because the Commander was hitting himself and poo poo while recording it or something, but I've never read anything to back that up.

e: I'm positive I heard this here. Can anyone back this up?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
You mean, like, literally hitting himself? Because that sounds like an odd reason not to release something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNAKEZONE
Jul 2, 2003

But what if I don't want to ride the snake?
I don't know about it being the reason they don't play it, but yeah, when the commander showed it off to the rest of the band, he kinda freaked out.

the aquabats website posted:

"... scared everybody when I sang these scratch vocals - I ripped off my shirt and punched myself in the face."