Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Oh god Terror, Blacklisted, Shipwreck tonight. At a small venue too.

:gizz::gizz::gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
You were there too? Haha. I loving drove over 3 hours in that drat snowstorm for it.

Good times.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's the deal with terror. I'd only heard a bit of their stuff but got talking to some gig photographer the other day who photographed them.
He said they got the crowd to do that side to side wave crap that you see in hip hop and I just checked their myspace and it's all new era caps and crap.
Have they always been like this or what?
Don't flame me I actually really want to know. It seems kinda trend hopper ish.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Vogel and all of them have been big into hiphop for a while, before Terror even started. Hell, they've had hiphop cameos on their last two albums. Plus living in LA they're into the lifestyle a little bit.

They're all hardcore at heart and the music is still hard as nails. It's just how they dress and incite fun at the shows. Definitely one of the best live bands around, I'm glad to see they've strayed away from those big tours bands like Hatebreed would take them on, and are back to playing small clubs and halls and still attract tons of kids. Their set last night was absolutely awesome.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I haven't been able to get into them since Lowest Of The Low, but I can't deny that they put on a great show. I haven't seen them play in about three years though.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I am sad that Modern Life is War broke up. I haven't heard their first album, but Witness is one of my favorite albums, and I liked Midnight in America. And when I saw them (albeit it was with lovely bands: He Is Legend and such) they were loving amazing.

Kimya Dawson is playing at the Independent Spirit Awards at 10 EST on IFC tonight. Not particularly exciting in and of itself but she's doing Tire Swing and Matty Pop Chart & Paul Baribeau are coming to do their backup vocals. It was weird enough hearing them get namedropped in Juno; actually seeing them on cable tv is going to be ever so bizarre.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Dillinger posted:

You were there too? Haha. I loving drove over 3 hours in that drat snowstorm for it.

Good times.

Yeah, that snow storm loving sucked, I could barely get out of my driveway :(

Good poo poo though. It wasn't like most shows, too - ALL of the bands were sick. Shipwreck was loving awesome, as was Blacklisted. People went pretty nuts for Give em Hell, too.

Great show. This one is very tempting, but Worcester is a loving pain in the rear end to get to.

Earth Crisis
Terror / Sworn Enemy
Shai Hulud
Down To Nothing / Recon
On Broken Wings
Since The Flood / Unholy
Rick Whispers

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

zeldadude posted:

Yeah, that snow storm loving sucked, I could barely get out of my driveway :(

Good poo poo though. It wasn't like most shows, too - ALL of the bands were sick. Shipwreck was loving awesome, as was Blacklisted. People went pretty nuts for Give em Hell, too.

Great show. This one is very tempting, but Worcester is a loving pain in the rear end to get to.

Earth Crisis
Terror / Sworn Enemy
Shai Hulud
Down To Nothing / Recon
On Broken Wings
Since The Flood / Unholy
Rick Whispers

That's a hell of a show for one night....when does this start? I might come up fromt CT for this, or go to NYC is the lineup stays intact.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What the gently caress. I thought On Broken wings split up a while back.
This is good news :D
Also Shai Hulud are one of my favourite bands, when is the new album meant to drop?

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

OBW did "break up" but now they're playing again for whatever reasons and doing shows here and there. Give'em Hell is a Western Mass. staple band but I just can't get into them, I think they're terrible. Although Swear to God was way worse, but I liked them. I definitely love Blacklisted more than almost any band, it's two days later and my body is still in pain from that show.

Earth Crisis show starts at 6, it probably won't end up being fun. I'm amped for Shai Hulud and to see Sworn Enemy again, and to watch some of my older friends get drunk and act like shitheads during Earth Crisis...should be funny. Shai Hulud still sounds wonderful and I can't wait for the new album, but I'm sick of only seeing them on big stages.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Whoa what's this with Shai Hulud playing again? I thought they did their final tour back in like 03 with Chad? Who's doing vocals now, I'm guess it's not Geert again and I can't imagine it's Chad.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access

punxnbutter posted:

That's a hell of a show for one night....when does this start? I might come up fromt CT for this, or go to NYC is the lineup stays intact.

The NYC one is with AF, right? I'd come up from CT too but I don't have a car ATM. If the NYC one is the one I'm thinking of, I'll probably find a way to go with someone that likes AF. :D

King Kolostomy
Nov 11, 2004

A5H posted:

What's the deal with terror. I'd only heard a bit of their stuff but got talking to some gig photographer the other day who photographed them.
He said they got the crowd to do that side to side wave crap that you see in hip hop and I just checked their myspace and it's all new era caps and crap.
Have they always been like this or what?
Don't flame me I actually really want to know. It seems kinda trend hopper ish.

The singer of that band was in a band called Buried Alive that was a million times better than Terror. Get their album "The Death Of Your Perfect World."

And I gotta say, that yo-boy hiphop crap in hardcore is about the gayest thing on the planet. MY BAND (we suck) have played plenty of shows with bands that do nothing but generic metalcore moshes (like literally no other parts of the song, the entire song will be just breakdown after breakdown) and some dude rapping on top of it with "ice" in his ears and a New Era cap and it's the lamest poo poo ever.

You're not a loving rapper, you're a stupid suburban kid who thinks he's hard as nails for no reason. Sorry if I sound hateful it's just all the boneheaded violent bullshit (Boston Beatdown, FSU, rappin' whiteboys, etc) ruins hardcore.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

zeldadude posted:

Worcester is a loving pain in the rear end to get to.

Worcester has always been very easy to get to for me, but a huge pain in the rear end to get out of. I always get lost for at least an hour trying to leave Worcester.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Lazlowrocks posted:

The NYC one is with AF, right? I'd come up from CT too but I don't have a car ATM. If the NYC one is the one I'm thinking of, I'll probably find a way to go with someone that likes AF. :D

So NYC gets Agnostic Front? gently caress yea... Kinda wish they didn't go so breakdown heavy on their last 2 albums though.

edit: just saw this on the knitting factory site

FRI May 9 6:00 PM hosed Up, Hard Skin, Invasion, Dustheads

punxnbutter fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 25, 2008

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
According to the Terror site, yes.

April 5, 2008, Brooklyn, NY @ Studio B
Agnostic Front, Madball, Terror, Breakdown, Death Before Dishonor

Also, I don't get the hate for Terror. But then again I like those kind of bands. Meh, to each their own I guess.

act five fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 25, 2008

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

acup posted:

Worcester has always been very easy to get to for me, but a huge pain in the rear end to get out of. I always get lost for at least an hour trying to leave Worcester.

When you leave the Palladium just get on Central St. and head towards the 99, under the train bridge. Route 290 west is right there, takes you to 146, which goes right to Woonsocket (I used to live right off it in NS).

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies
Somehow managed to see American Cheeseburger last night, and picked up a copy of Gasp - Drome Triller for about 8 bux. I guess it was a good day.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

Parachute posted:

Is anybody going to see Birushanah here in the US? I guess you could consider them to be hardcore, but I definitely love that psychedelic-y sound. Also, I think they are on Level Plane.

Totally sweet. I stood a little too close to the metal percussionist and he kept my head ringing. Drain the Sky played too and I hadn't yet heard them, they were incredible. Long melodic musical intros and then whammo, they blow whole in limbo.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

EvilRobot posted:

Somehow managed to see American Cheeseburger last night, and picked up a copy of Gasp - Drome Triller for about 8 bux. I guess it was a good day.

Is it worth seeing them? I'm at school, and they are playing in my hometown an hour and a half away.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

Agent Bob posted:

Is it worth seeing them? I'm at school, and they are playing in my hometown an hour and a half away.

Seeing as how I managed to get roughly 3 hours from my current place of residence to see them and have no regrets, I'd say an hour and a half isn't that much to ask. If you dig fast, screamy, half-way goofy poo poo you really can't go wrong. Think Charles Bronson with a bit more song structure and tattoos. You're almost there.

You're in PA, right? How's the Lancaster scene these days? I haven't been up for more than a day or two since I left town. I miss those kids.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

King Kolostomy posted:

The singer of that band was in a band called Buried Alive that was a million times better than Terror. Get their album "The Death Of Your Perfect World."

This is pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation!

So how did terror manage to keep some cred? Like if there was a new band that came about and looked and acted like them, I'm pretty sure most terror fans would write them off straight away. Just seems kinda weird to me.

E:
http://www.vogelisms.com/

"I have a loving illness, and that illness is that I'm loving pissed off that our loving van blew up and I need medicine and the only medicine that will cure my illness is loving stage dives! "
- Scott Vogel

Hahaha

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 27, 2008

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

EvilRobot posted:

Seeing as how I managed to get roughly 3 hours from my current place of residence to see them and have no regrets, I'd say an hour and a half isn't that much to ask. If you dig fast, screamy, half-way goofy poo poo you really can't go wrong. Think Charles Bronson with a bit more song structure and tattoos. You're almost there.

You're in PA, right? How's the Lancaster scene these days? I haven't been up for more than a day or two since I left town. I miss those kids.

Haha, I'm actually in the Lehigh Valley scene. If you care, we are going really strong.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

A5H posted:

This is pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation!

So how did terror manage to keep some cred? Like if there was a new band that came about and looked and acted like them, I'm pretty sure most terror fans would write them off straight away. Just seems kinda weird to me.

E:
http://www.vogelisms.com/

"I have a loving illness, and that illness is that I'm loving pissed off that our loving van blew up and I need medicine and the only medicine that will cure my illness is loving stage dives! "
- Scott Vogel

Hahaha

Vogelisms are hilarious but most are fake....however, you definitely can picture him saying that stuff. I've heard him say some ridiculous stuff. Paraphrased: "I don't give a gently caress who you are or what you are, we're all the same people. If you like chicks, that's a beautiful thing. If you're a girl and you like girls that's a beautiful thing. If you're a dude and you like dudes....it ain't my thing, but it's a beautiful thing"

Terror came about pretty much on the onset of the "internet age" of hardcore, when the only major boards were probably xmulletx, the Rev board, maybe B9, maybe Deathtalk. Buried alive had been broken up, Vogel moved to LA, started Terror, and they put out a 4 song EP themselves through mailorder that loving ripped and over the span of like a week EVERYONE was talking about it. Their first shows on the east coast were insanity. I'm trying to remember the tracklisting of the demo so you can get an idea as to what it was like, I know Life or Death was the first song I ever heard by Terror and it was amazing. 50 seconds of rage.

Their sound is different now, but that's how it all started...major hype band that delivered.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah that demo was loving ridiculous. I have to start listening to Lowest Of The Low again now.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007
I'll be working merch at most of the west coast shows for the Earth Crisis/Terror etc. tour. If you see a tall girl with short reddish hair, say hello!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

This was posted on a local message board about Dudefest 6 in Indianapolis.

quote:

here's who is confirmed so far:

coliseum
backstabbers inc.
demiricous
get rad
ghostlimb
graf orlock
hewhocorrupts
insect warfare
lords
minsk
nachtmystium
the network
phoenix bodies
skeletonwitch
shitstorm
torche
transistor/transistor
trap them
the wayward
weekend nachos
worldeater
you will die
young widows

more info later.

https://www.myspace.com/dudefestindiana

Seems like it could be killer, but I've never been to one despite living in Indiana.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Graf Orlock and Ghostlimb have been confirmed for Dudefest as well. That announcement pretty much made up my mind on going.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see they were in that list. In any case I'm going to try super hard to go.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I'll be going this year. I'm requesting the time off from work next week :)

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I'll be making the trip from Nashville. I'm psyched to rub up against sweaty dudes and listen to screaming grind. And I'll be flat loving broke by the time I cram my car full of merch.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Also chiming in to say I will not be missing Dudefest this year. I hope to thrash with some of you dudes.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Is Backstabbers Inc together for one show or are they doing a reunion? They were such a fun band

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
From VLV, on the topic of dudefest:

derek black posted:

okay, massive news (for me anyway)

KUNGFU RICK has confirmed.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I saw that but I've never heard of them :\. What are they like?

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007
Kungfu Rick?!

gently caress, now I have to go to Indiana.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

rivals posted:

I saw that but I've never heard of them :\. What are they like?

They are like awesome.

I saw American Cheeseburger tonight. Holy poo poo, those guys are fun.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Agent Bob posted:

Haha, I'm actually in the Lehigh Valley scene. If you care, we are going really strong.

I saw Paint It Black were playing Jan's Room. Was it as hot, sweaty and insane as I guess it would be?

RagingPawn
Nov 29, 2007
Right, opinions please.

Against Me! are playing here in the UK in April, they are headling the Corp in Sheffield, which I've been told is a pretty small venue. Now, do I get tickets or not? Are they likely to play alot of New Wave crap, or will they stick to the older material?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

RagingPawn posted:

Right, opinions please.

Against Me! are playing here in the UK in April, they are headling the Corp in Sheffield, which I've been told is a pretty small venue. Now, do I get tickets or not? Are they likely to play alot of New Wave crap, or will they stick to the older material?

When I saw them in November 2005, all they played was their new crap and a couple songs off Axl Rose. Absolutely nothing before then and I imagine it's only gotten worse with them having a new album out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

When I saw them in November 2005, all they played was their new crap and a couple songs off Axl Rose. Absolutely nothing before then and I imagine it's only gotten worse with them having a new album out.

Its easier to just pretend they broke up.