Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoops
Jun 11, 2001
maybe someone can help me with this, no biggie though.

it seems sometimes I get a network error when I try to use winscp to get into my touch. my ip is the same. I have to uninstall and install ssh again get it working.

not big of a problem, but I was wondering if maybe there was something else that was going on that i don't know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm wondering if anyone's heard of something that can be used on my MacBook to control the music on my iPod Touch.

Example use: I have my iPod playing through speakers, but I don't want to get up to change the song.

I've read through most of this thread, and google is full of "control your computer with your iPod zomg VNC is so new" but nothing going the opposite way. Anything from command line tools that pause, play, go to next and previous songs, up to some full-blown GUI setup, would interest me.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

pokeyman posted:

I'm wondering if anyone's heard of something that can be used on my MacBook to control the music on my iPod Touch.

Example use: I have my iPod playing through speakers, but I don't want to get up to change the song.

I've read through most of this thread, and google is full of "control your computer with your iPod zomg VNC is so new" but nothing going the opposite way. Anything from command line tools that pause, play, go to next and previous songs, up to some full-blown GUI setup, would interest me.

remote buddy for mac..

well, that enables you to control yoru desktop itunes/streams thru your touch, not sure if its the other way around.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

stoops posted:

remote buddy for mac..

well, that enables you to control yoru desktop itunes/streams thru your touch, not sure if its the other way around.

Yeah, that's my problem. Nobody's thought to go the other way yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really hosed myself over here: When playing with Catagories and Customize, I accidentally hid all icons except for music/movies/safari/mail. I know I could SSH in to launch Customize and fix it, but here's the thing, I disabled SSH to save battery life. I'm trying right now to fool around with the N45AP.plist file and iPhoneBrowser, but no luck.

Am I hosed? Should I just restore and rejailbreak when the 1.1.4 one is out soon? I'm currently on jailbroken 1.1.2 btw.

EDIT: Fixed it....so loving proud of myself, here's what I did in case it helps anyone else:

After a LOT of fooling around:

1) Installed iPhoneBrowser (really useful tool I didn't know about)
2) Downloaded my N45AP.plist file from springboard folder
3) Using the info.plist files from Installer, I added it to the dock to my N45AP.plist
4) Using the browser program, I "replaced" the N45AP.plist file on my Touch with the one I modified locally
5) Rebooted my Touch, the dock now had Installer on it. I uninstalled Catagories, and everything reset back to normal.

Hell yeah

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 28, 2008

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So after reading through the thread today, and remembering that a local store had the 16GB model on sale for $341.88, I decided to finally bite the bullet on buying an iPod touch. I get there and tell the chick working the department that I'd like to buy it, and she tells me that it's sold out and won't be back in stock until Mar. 14th (well after the sale price expires). :argh:

They could at least take down the sale signs, and maybe even put up an out of stock sign. :smith:

technic
May 7, 2007
Ok after searching through this thread and only seeing stuff about Videora, is there any better alternative for avi -> mpeg4 conversion? I just got done converting a 700mb avi file and it was about 2.2gigs when done. Granted the video setting was set at high.

I'm currently (as in as I type this message) converting a 100mb avi file and it's already over 300mbs with the lowest settings possible. Wtf?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

technic posted:

Ok after searching through this thread and only seeing stuff about Videora, is there any better alternative for avi -> mpeg4 conversion? I just got done converting a 700mb avi file and it was about 2.2gigs when done. Granted the video setting was set at high.

I'm currently (as in as I type this message) converting a 100mb avi file and it's already over 300mbs with the lowest settings possible. Wtf?

You're doing something wrong. My 700mb movies convert to around 250-300.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kevdude posted:

Other than Nero Recode (which has finished its trial period :(), every mp4 converter I've tried will at least triple the file size of an avi whenever you set all the settings to their lowest.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Vyze posted:

Other than Nero Recode (which has finished its trial period :(), every mp4 converter I've tried will at least triple the file size of an avi whenever you set all the settings to their lowest.

No.

kevdude posted:

What he said. There is either something wrong with your settings or with the video file itself. Whenever I convert stuff, it always turns out at around half the original size.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Noctone posted:

So after reading through the thread today, and remembering that a local store had the 16GB model on sale for $341.88, I decided to finally bite the bullet on buying an iPod touch. I get there and tell the chick working the department that I'd like to buy it, and she tells me that it's sold out and won't be back in stock until Mar. 14th (well after the sale price expires). :argh:

They could at least take down the sale signs, and maybe even put up an out of stock sign. :smith:

Amazon is selling the 16gb Touch without the software update (probably what was on sale at your local store given the price) for $355.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
is there any type of Remote Buddy, but for PC.

i guess what i'm looking for is to control the itunes on the pc thru my touch.

i know there isimplify streams it, but they only show so many songs at a time.

technic
May 7, 2007
After I posted that last night I found a program called "Jodix Free iPod Video Converter" that works really well and is a lot faster then Videora. It's on downloads.com if anyone wants to try it out.

Mike83
Jan 16, 2007

Charlie is genius, right, he's made from a million old pieces of bubble gum
I just got home from work toady with a snazzy new 32GB ipod touch, its all fine, apart from it won't connect to my home wifi. I've tried letting it find the settings by itself and entering them manually, and nothing works.

I know the wifi is working as my PS3 and N95 can all see and use it.
Do I need to open any ports on my router, its a Linksy WRT54GS

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It could be that my install just a bit broken, but does the backspace key work poperly in Term-vt100 on 1.1.3? I probably need to re-jailbreak 1.1.3 anyway, I'm just wondering if this is a known problem.

Mike83
Jan 16, 2007

Good news
I've fixed my wifi trouble and am lay on my sofa watching match of the day and posting this on my iPod

anyone else spell I P O D instead of saying iPod as a word?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

LordOfThePants posted:

Amazon is selling the 16gb Touch without the software update (probably what was on sale at your local store given the price) for $355.

Yeah, they were selling the pre-update model. I said gently caress it and went back today and bought the 32GB model.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mike83 posted:

anyone else spell I P O D instead of saying iPod as a word?
If it were supposed to be spelled that way, it'd be written in all caps.

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

ROCKET FUEL MALT LIQUOR, DAMN!
I want to be able to use my Touch as a portable hard drive. Can anyone point me in a direction to get this thing working?

And it's jailbroke, if that makes any difference.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I still haven't been able to Jailbreak my 16 gig with ZiPhone. Is there any other way to Jailbreak a 1.1.4?

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

I still haven't been able to Jailbreak my 16 gig with ZiPhone. Is there any other way to Jailbreak a 1.1.4?

well, can't you restore to a 1.13 then, just jailbreak that with ziphone?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

stoops posted:

well, can't you restore to a 1.13 then, just jailbreak that with ziphone?

No, ZiPhone doesn't work with 16 gig iPods, apparently. Is there a way to download a 1.1.1 restore file so I can just do jailbreakme.com?

Edit: Turns out I still have the 1.1.1 file, but I get some error when I try to restore it to that file. Any ideas? I saw the youtube video about jailbreaking 1.1.3, but I can't even get past the first step because I get an error.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 3, 2008

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003
http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/jailbreak-113-official-gui-2/

I used the above guide to jailbreak my Touch and it worked perfect. The below link has a little addendum about where to find oktoprep since the above link's info is out of date on that front.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/itunes-761-independance-ziphone/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/jailbreak-113-official-gui-2/

I used the above guide to jailbreak my Touch and it worked perfect. The below link has a little addendum about where to find oktoprep since the above link's info is out of date on that front.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/itunes-761-independance-ziphone/

Does that work with a 16gb Touch? I've been extremely wary of the latest jailbreak efforts due to the rumors I've seen about 16gb Touches being bricked or something...I've been running 1.1.2 since Xmas, but I decided I really want to update.

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

kevdude posted:

Does that work with a 16gb Touch? I've been extremely wary of the latest jailbreak efforts due to the rumors I've seen about 16gb Touches being bricked or something...I've been running 1.1.2 since Xmas, but I decided I really want to update.

Yes, the official Dev team method should work on all Touch's. It's a little more in depth, but at least it should always work.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the links, it's working fine except for the fact that I still can't find OKtoPrep. I installed Community Sources, but the folders Tweaks (1.1.3) and Tweaks don't have the OKtoPrep installer in them. Any ideas?

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
loving hell, I've been sitting here for the last five hours trying to get this loving thing to work.
It's an IPod Touch, 32gb. Is not detected by ITunes, who only spout out something about 'the iPhone "" could not be something-something' and then nothing happens.
This is when I run it in the dock.
So I run it without the dock, and now it kinda works, except the iPod is detected as a digital camera, but at least iTunes sees it! Sometimes! Sometimes it's still recognized and rejected as that mysterious iPhone named "". But when it actually works I can't transfer poo poo to it, iTunes freezes up and says the iPod timed out after one/two songs. huh?
After that, if I ever try to browse the list of songs iTunes freezes and delivers the same message.

This is in Vista 32bit Home Premium with latest iTunes, that I have installed, reinstalled, upgraded to Vista SP1 etc. and followed every tip I could find on Apples support pages.
The device works besides this, I can use safari and surf the net and listen to the one/two songs that sometimes get transferred, but I can't transfer poo poo to it. Or update it to the 1.1.4 software. What in the loving gently caress! It's not even recognized as a mass storage device in device manager, so that's a loving step back, but iTunes plays the same song and dance as ever. Why can't they at least give me the option to just dump my poo poo on it like it was a regular harddrive? That's not much to ask for, right, being able to listen to music on the device I just paid $708 for, not including the dock that probably would serve a better use if I crammed it up my rear end.

Anyone has any experience with this and know of a solution?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Ein posted:

loving hell, I've been sitting here for the last five hours trying to get this loving thing to work.
It's an IPod Touch, 32gb. Is not detected by ITunes, who only spout out something about 'the iPhone "" could not be something-something' and then nothing happens.
This is when I run it in the dock.
So I run it without the dock, and now it kinda works, except the iPod is detected as a digital camera, but at least iTunes sees it! Sometimes! Sometimes it's still recognized and rejected as that mysterious iPhone named "". But when it actually works I can't transfer poo poo to it, iTunes freezes up and says the iPod timed out after one/two songs. huh?
After that, if I ever try to browse the list of songs iTunes freezes and delivers the same message.

This is in Vista 32bit Home Premium with latest iTunes, that I have installed, reinstalled, upgraded to Vista SP1 etc. and followed every tip I could find on Apples support pages.
The device works besides this, I can use safari and surf the net and listen to the one/two songs that sometimes get transferred, but I can't transfer poo poo to it. Or update it to the 1.1.4 software. What in the loving gently caress! It's not even recognized as a mass storage device in device manager, so that's a loving step back, but iTunes plays the same song and dance as ever. Why can't they at least give me the option to just dump my poo poo on it like it was a regular harddrive? That's not much to ask for, right, being able to listen to music on the device I just paid $708 for, not including the dock that probably would serve a better use if I crammed it up my rear end.

Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed? I think I ran into similar symptoms when I tried to use my iPod on a computer that only had iTunes 7.4.

Also, iTouches/iPhones aren't supposed to show up as mass storage devices, so it probably isn't a Windows problem.

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the links, it's working fine except for the fact that I still can't find OKtoPrep. I installed Community Sources, but the folders Tweaks (1.1.3) and Tweaks don't have the OKtoPrep installer in them. Any ideas?

Oktoprep was under system or something like that, not Tweaks, after installing Community Sources.

Anyways, make sure to exit installer after installing community sources and then going back in so that the installation takes and stuff shows up.

Syrup Sponge
Feb 16, 2006
Some say he's half man, half fish, others say it's a 40/60 split, either way, he's one fishy bastard.
Got my 32gb ipod touch yesterday and I am chuffed to pieces over it!

So I hear 1.1.4 may have included some kind of SDK? Does that mean that people will be able to develop stuff like SNES and megadrive emulators for people to use on the touch without having to jailbreak it?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Ein posted:

32GB Touch not working.

I've had similar experience and the fix in my case was updating my USB drivers. Try getting either the ones from Microsoft, or the ones from your motherboard manufacturer.

(The MS ones were the ones that worked for me).

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Awesome!!

http://lifehacker.com/363655/use-your-iphone-as-a-multi+touch-mouse-with-touchpad-pro

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Wow, that makes me want to jailbreak my touch again.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

iPod Touches are on sale in Canada right now and I'm strongly leaning toward getting one. I have two questions though:

1. Does it easily work between Mac and PC? I know that my old hard drive based iPod I have now won't work between them (unless you have Macdrive or a similar app) because of differing hard drive formats. This is pretty annoying since I use a Mac at home and a PC at work. I figure though that since the 8gig iPod Touch doesn't use a hard drive this shouldn't be an issue. Am I right or are there still stupid problems preventing easily using it both on a Mac and a PC?

2. How is the screen? Do all of you use some sort of screen protection or is it like a cellphone and super, super hardy. My Sony Ericsson mobile phone for example I just throw in my pocket, and even though I've been using it for a year, the screen on it doesn't have a scratch on it. Does the iPod Touch use the same high quality screen or do I have to buy a case for it?

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I can kind of answer 2.

The screen is glass. Not plastic or composite or resin or anything like that. It's very hard, and very difficult to scratch. However, being glass, it's probably very brittle too. I hear it's specially tempered, but I'd rather not find out how hard it is to shatter.

So no, you probably don't need a screen protector. Unless you keep gravel and sandpaper in your pocket. And like all iPods, the other side is polished aluminum and scratches the second you look at it funny. But it's the back so who cares.

Syrup Sponge
Feb 16, 2006
Some say he's half man, half fish, others say it's a 40/60 split, either way, he's one fishy bastard.
Adding to the answer to question 2 - don't ever drop your ipod touch.

The glass is some kind of crazy safety glass.. it'll shatter into a hundred pieces but every one of them will stay stuck to the ipod itself. Unless you've got insurance for the pod dropping it will be the quickest way to lose yourself hundreds of dollarpounds.

Butt House
Oct 17, 2002

i love you, you jerk

This is fantastic! I'm using it right now and it wasn't hard to set up. Too bad I can't see my desktop on screen.

Mike83
Jan 16, 2007

I'm genuinely impressed by that.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Xinopay posted:

I've had similar experience and the fix in my case was updating my USB drivers. Try getting either the ones from Microsoft, or the ones from your motherboard manufacturer.

(The MS ones were the ones that worked for me).

It appears I've solved my problems now, thanks anyway. I'll try to summarize what I did and what it did and post it later, hopefully someone else might find it useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormcrow
Nov 11, 2004

I'm afraid I was very, very drunk.
Got a 16GB last week (won from a radio competition...lucky bastard or what), I want to convert a movie or two but I have some foreign movies with separate subtitles, can these be converted to play on the touch or do the subs need to be hardcoded in?

• Locked thread