Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

MattWPBS posted:

I saw Paint It Black were playing Jan's Room. Was it as hot, sweaty and insane as I guess it would be?

There was a snowstorm that night, so I think that lost a shitload of the Philly crowd. Otherwise, there were a lot of people there (the usual Jan's Room attendees, as well as some new faces). It was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Its easier to just pretend they broke up.

That's what I've been doing since ..As The Eternal Cowboy came out.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

rivals posted:

That's what I've been doing since ..As The Eternal Cowboy came out.

I like that album, goddamnit.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
new Ballast record out, I'm not really sure what the deal is but I picked it up yesterday. I think they recorded it before/as they broke up and maybe there were no funds to release it until now. Pretty good from the quick listen I gave it yesterday, I'd lump it somewhere between Witch Hunt and Harum Scarum.

Also picked up Face Down in poo poo - Nothing Positive, Only Negative and GOD drat. Incredible.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
The Masshysteri record came out on Feral Ward. They are gonna be huge

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

answersyouseek posted:

The Masshysteri record came out on Feral Ward. They are gonna be huge

Playing Guildford next Saturday. The Vicious were good when they came over, so this should be fun too.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

MattWPBS posted:

Playing Guildford next Saturday. The Vicious were good when they came over, so this should be fun too.

I am so jealous

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007
Does anyone hear like Terveet Kadet? I started listening to them again, and love them more now, for some reason.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Agent Bob posted:

Does anyone hear like Terveet Kadet? I started listening to them again, and love them more now, for some reason.

Terveet Kadet loving rules! Their first three 7"s are total classics.

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Terveet Kadet loving rules! Their first three 7"s are total classics.

loving A, man!

The only hard copy I have of them is the Jeesus Perkele 7", which is their first 7", and I think a demo and a live set. I was going to pick up this one collection LP that I saw at my record store, but I was an idiot and didn't get it. Hopefully, it's still there when I come back.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Hell yeah, just saw that Disfear is coming to Philly in a few months. Sweet.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
The vocalist for Khann got kicked out and I'm a sad panda. But if you haven't listened to them, do so now if you like His Hero is Gone meets Reversal of Man type stuff.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=77768440

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Rivalry Showcase tonight and tomorrow at the gilman with:
Allegiance (last show), Verse, The First Step, Internal Affairs, Trash Talk, Red Handed, Ceremony, Betrayed, Killing The Dream, Soul Control, Another Breath, Get The Most.

Who's going?

rivals fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 29, 2008

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

rivals posted:

Rivalry Showcase tonight and tomorrow at the gilman with:
Allegiance (last show), Verse, The First Step, Internal Affairs, Trash Talk, Red Handed, Ceremony, Betrayed, Killing The Dream, Soul Control, Another Breath, Get The Most.

Who's going?

gently caress, I'll be in Palo Alto in a week, sucks that I'll barely be missing this.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
For anyone who is going to the Earth Crisis tour: they were loving terrible and had a bad setlist. Maybe the vibe tonight was off but EC bored me to tears, Terror stole the show, and I had more fun during them and Shai Hulud than anyone.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
Anyone going to Firestorm Fest in Detroit? Me and a bunch of friends are gonna head out there from west Michigan. Really only going for Down To Nothing, Terror and Shai Hulud. Never been a fan of Earth Crisis, it'll be fun to see the carnage during their set though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

WashinMyGoat posted:

This was posted on a local message board about Dudefest 6 in Indianapolis.

Seems like it could be killer, but I've never been to one despite living in Indiana.

This is a pretty solid lineup. (Woo hoo for locals Insect Warfare getting HUGE).

Speaking of Indiana, are there any fans of The Dream is Dead who I think are one of the most overlooked hardcore bands of the past 7 or 8 years?

On an unrelated note: How much drama was there at that ExCx show? This scene seems to attract all kinds of bullshit to it that never goes away, sometimes.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
Drama? None. A few pit beef fights, and some brawl at the end of Firestorm and that was it.

Some kids I knew were planning on tossing dead rats on stage during EC but were talked out of it, probably for the better.

Funny story I heard today was some edge kid with his hands X'd up promised that he would take a shot of Jager when EC played the first chords of Firestorm. He did. Apparently he got jumped outside. Absolutely ridiculous on all fronts, I can't help but laugh.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

Alright, I need to get more into hardcore. Of the punk variety, if you catch my drift, but more modern stuff. Where should I get started?

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Dillinger posted:

Funny story I heard today was some edge kid with his hands X'd up promised that he would take a shot of Jager when EC played the first chords of Firestorm. He did. Apparently he got jumped outside. Absolutely ridiculous on all fronts, I can't help but laugh.

What a moron. I bet next he'll take a stroll through a ghetto in a clan robe.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Ozean posted:

Alright, I need to get more into hardcore. Of the punk variety, if you catch my drift, but more modern stuff. Where should I get started?

I'm pretty partial to the following:

Ruiner
Kid Dynamite
Shook Ones
Paint it Black
Sinking Ships
Another Breath
Rentokill
Daggermouth
The Steal
Rex Banner
Strike Anywhere etc.

I know that's a fair amount of band namedropping, but hopefully that should help out a little.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Ozean posted:

If you want current stuff, check out these bands:

Gauze
See You In Hell
Direct Control
I Accuse
Reality Crisis
Uncurbed
Massgrav
Padlock
Hellnation
Besthoven
Forward

Those are all great current hardcore punk bands. Soulseek should help you out.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I'd lump it somewhere between Witch Hunt and Harum Scarum.

This makes me want to cry...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I think Another Breath is currently (and has been for the last like four years) one of the most underrated bands in hardcore. Not Now, Not Ever was a loving solid album and Mill City was good, but not as good IMO. Despite that, they have never failed to put on an absolutely amazing show.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

acup posted:

What a moron. I bet next he'll take a stroll through a ghetto in a clan robe.

Personally, I think the first part of that's loving funny, and a bunch of non-conformists beating someone up for doing something different even more funny.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

MattWPBS posted:

Personally, I think the first part of that's loving funny, and a bunch of non-conformists beating someone up for doing something different even more funny.

It's not so much that, it's that he was making fun of straight edge during one of the most pissed off straight edge vegan bands ever. That's pretty disrespectful regardless of how dumb their lifestyle is. Like acup said, it's equivalent to walking through a ghetto in a klan robe.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Sirius Sam posted:

straight edge vegan band

So how does one play "straight edge vegan" music? What does it sound like?

Seriously, I'm straight edge and I think what the guy did is hilarious. gently caress hardline/militant edge dickheads. I never got bands that say that they're "straight edge bands". Straight edge isn't a loving style of music.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

RunTo TheHills posted:

If you live in Baltimore, or someone you know does, have them go down to Reptilian Records. Last time I was in there they had like 6 or 7 copies of Voice.

And oh my god, it's even more amazing on wax. :3:

I dug up a copy on ebay for $3, score. Now I just have to haul down to the out-of-the-way-as-poo poo post office and pick it up.

COCKISPOISON posted:

This makes me want to cry...

Are these tears of joy or what? Excusing my simple comparison, it's pretty good so far. It mostly sounds like... ballast!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Does anyone listen to Get The Most? They played the Rivalry shows over the weekend and I enjoyed them. Listening to their 7" now and it's really good.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Any bands out right now that have a similar sound/style to most post-emo bands?

That would tickle my fancy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Depends on your definition of "post-emo". List a couple bands that you're looking for similar bands to.

I DRANK MY MILK
Mar 25, 2005
mr el sanchez

ChaosNonMusica posted:

So how does one play "straight edge vegan" music? What does it sound like?

Seriously, I'm straight edge and I think what the guy did is hilarious. gently caress hardline/militant edge dickheads. I never got bands that say that they're "straight edge bands". Straight edge isn't a loving style of music.

I think he means their ethics/message etc.

EC is a hardcore band in which all the members are straight edge and vegan.

I couldn't tell you about their music personally because I dont listen to them.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

MattWPBS posted:

It's one thing to break edge, but it's totally different to break edge at a show surrounded by straight edge people while one of the most notoriously hardline straight edge band plays. The kid was an idiot.

It's stupid as well that people would sink to violence when someone mocks their lifestyle. I don't agree that he should have had his rear end kicked, but if he thought he was being funny and everyone was going to chuckle along with him, he obviously had another thing coming.

I DRANK MY MILK hit the nail on the head.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

I DRANK MY MILK posted:

I think he means their ethics/message etc.

EC is a hardcore band in which all the members are straight edge and vegan.

I couldn't tell you about their music personally because I dont listen to them.

I know what he means. I just think it's stupid when bands called themselves straight edge bands, as if straight edge is a music style (it's not FYI). All of the members of my band are straight edge, but we're a hardcore band. We play hardcore, not straight edge.

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
Playing straight edge, as opposed to being straight edge, gets you fans that wear Nikes and New Era.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

But, isn't being edge meant to be about respect and stuff?
So then why do they disrespect non-edge folk and beat them up?
But then again, from what I understand, all the hardcore kids in america who got rid of the nazi crowd, just filled the gap?
And then didn't dangers sing about it and get beat up? (Neo neo nazis?)
Just seems kinda hosed up.
Also can someone explain edge tattoos. It just seems like irony to me. Some of my friends are edge but they still don't hate me for drinking. So what's with the crews in boston etc?

^^^ Or if you're terror, you wear new era hats and get edge fans :V

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

A lot of kids are stupid and start fights for stupid reasons, that's why straight edge has been given a bad name. And what is ironic about straight edge tattoos, the ink?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah. I always thought it was about treating your body right and stuff.
But putting ink and holes in it just seems kind of strange to me?
Plus isn't ink mildly toxic or something?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just thought some posters here would be able to fill me in :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

The chances of getting any infection from a tattoo is incredibly low assuming you're smart about it (making sure needles are sterilized, etc). As far as toxicity, I'm pretty sure that it's just a few ink colors or something that have small parts that can break into toxic components when hit by UV light or when the tattoo is removed. In any case, the risk is incredibly low as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
ChaosNonMusica, you hit the nail on the head.. here in chicago things are billed as "straight edge bands" and it really makes me want to ignore the show altogether.

edit- some ingredients in inks aren't vegan, and most straight edge people I know consider veganism to be ingrained in straight edge. Anyways. Music, not retarded poo poo?

If you like OWAB Allesandro decided to stick around the states and is doing a Clevo band. Expect the seventh level of hell.