Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tapedump posted:

I'd like to request an app that will easily rename a bunch of files in a folder according to a list of filenames in a plain text file.

I collect old time radio shows (public domain) via bittorrent, but the files are often improperly named. Once I get them, it's imperative that they be properly named for logging into my collection program, Otter, but doing so makes them invalid for seeding.

If I could just keep 1) a list of a torrent's original filenames and 2) my properly renamed file names in two texts file in the same folder, and somehow easily swap back and forth between the two naming conventions I could revert my file names to match the torrent for seeding down the road when it inevitably runs out of seeders.

Doing this manually is a major chore as many shows ran weekly for many years and thus have hundreds of files. I've yet to find a non-shareware solution to accomplish this.

Any help would be humbly appreciated. :)

Can't PM you, but here you go:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/QuickRename

QuickRename requires .NET 2.0 and Windows as no OS was specified in the request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you very much, Oldstench! :)

That looks very slick. I'll give it a good workout this afternoon when I get home. Just about the only thing I'd change if I knew what I was doing would be to add a "Select Folder" button/dialogs to avoid dragging/dropping.

However, it seems to be just what I wanted, and I thank you for your time and effort. Much appreciated. Now, let's see how well it handles non-English characters in filenames... ;)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
This might exist but I'm not finding it on google. Could someone write an app that can take two screenshots or video frames and show the differences? I've seen one done with contrast where differences are shown as really light spots.

Basically I have two video files, one original and one transcoded, and I want to see how much detail I'm losing between the two.

edit: I may have found one, all Google is giving me is code examples :gonk:

xie fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 3, 2008

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tapedump posted:

Thank you very much, Oldstench! :)

That looks very slick. I'll give it a good workout this afternoon when I get home. Just about the only thing I'd change if I knew what I was doing would be to add a "Select Folder" button/dialogs to avoid dragging/dropping.

However, it seems to be just what I wanted, and I thank you for your time and effort. Much appreciated. Now, let's see how well it handles non-English characters in filenames... ;)

Just upped v. 1.1. Has an Open Folder dialog for you drag/drop haters and also added a notification label at the bottom to tell you which folder you were currently modifying.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tapedump posted:

If I could just keep 1) a list of a torrent's original filenames and 2) my properly renamed file names in two texts file in the same folder, and somehow easily swap back and forth between the two naming conventions I could revert my file names to match the torrent for seeding down the road when it inevitably runs out of seeders.
Hey, 486, wanna see a really long command?

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

In case anyone's interested, some site news:

I'll be moving TinyAppz from Dreamhost to Nearly Free Speech some time this month. I just have to work out a 'pretty url' problem and renew/transfer the domain. It's not that I ever had any real problem with Dreamhost, it's just that I'm so cheap I don't want to spend $10 a month on the site (originally paid about $20 for a year.)

We've been getting about 30 hits a day, about half from this thread, a quarter from search results, and most of the rest don't report a referer. Although I did get a dozen or so from ronpaulforums.com back on the 26th. I'd be curious to see that thread if anyone can locate it. Go through about 20MB/day in bandwidth. Anyway, you can see why it's not worth $10 a month.

Some bot adds some gibberish to half a dozen pages every week or so. Annoying as hell, although not nearly as bad as before I installed the captcha.

Anyway, it's been an interesting year, guess I'll keep it going til I run through the $18.57 I have on deposit with NFS.

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 4, 2008

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Oldstench posted:

Just upped v. 1.1. Has an Open Folder dialog for you drag/drop haters and also added a notification label at the bottom to tell you which folder you were currently modifying.
Oh, that's slick. Liking it so far. Appreciate the update, too.

Hogburto posted:

Hey, 486, wanna see a really long command?
Sorry, what?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Treytor posted:

I could really use a small app that would simply turn off my computer monitor with a single keystroke of my choosing.

http://factormystic.net/turn%20off%20monitor.exe

This program does exactly what I need, but I'd like to have the option to specify what keystroke(s) actually turns off the monitor.

Way old, but got bored and updated this, so now you don't have to do the shortcut trick :)

http://factormystic.net/blog/turn-off-monitor-v2

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.

Neurozys posted:

In case anyone's interested, some site news:

I'll be moving TinyAppz from Dreamhost to Nearly Free Speech some time this month. I just have to work out a 'pretty url' problem and renew/transfer the domain. It's not that I ever had any real problem with Dreamhost, it's just that I'm so cheap I don't want to spend $10 a month on the site (originally paid about $20 for a year.)

We've been getting about 30 hits a day, about half from this thread, a quarter from search results, and most of the rest don't report a referer. Although I did get a dozen or so from ronpaulforums.com back on the 26th. I'd be curious to see that thread if anyone can locate it. Go through about 20MB/day in bandwidth. Anyway, you can see why it's not worth $10 a month.

Some bot adds some gibberish to half a dozen pages every week or so. Annoying as hell, although not nearly as bad as before I installed the captcha.

Anyway, it's been an interesting year, guess I'll keep it going til I run through the $18.57 I have on deposit with NFS.
Man a ton of us have servers. I'm sure someone running an waffle-images mirror would be more than happy to add a vhost for that for free. Hell, I'd be more than willing to if no one else will.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tapedump posted:

Sorry, what?
Just a geeky thing for fun. I was writing a looong command (nested for's, sets, piping, substrings) to perfectly do your task, but gave up on that when I noticed this one works just just about as well:

for /f "delims=" %a in (list1.txt) do for /f "delims=" %b in (list2.txt) do ren "%a" "%b"

Out of an exponential list of renaming commands generated, only the right ones to do what you want would actually do anything.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tapedump posted:

Oh, that's slick. Liking it so far. Appreciate the update, too.

Glad you like it. If you notice any weird bugs or anything, put it on the discussion page for the app and I'll try to fix it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
This is something I could probably just make a template for in notepad, but I was wondering if you guys could make something cooler and more elaborate with little effort.

I'm writing a Let's Play of Space Station Silicon Valley and in addition to video my updates consist of some narrative and entries of the animals I encounter.

Each entry consists of the animals name in bold, followed by a picture, then its two abilities, and a short bio. It looks like this:

Fox
Ability One: Teleportation- A short burst of energy shoots the fox forward for quick escapes
Ability Two: Tail Attack- Can be spammed to overwhelm opponents before they have a chance to react.

The Fox is a predator, and it is good at what it does. Quickly pouncing upon any approaching robot that is smaller than itself, the Fox will suddenly appear beside its quarry and whip it into submission. However the fox is not very hardy, and the moment something puts up any sort of resistance, it will reconsider its actions and will run away as quickly as it attacked if things seem inconveninent.

Each update I also add these same animals to a bestiary on an outside website

The entries in that website I format as such:

code:
<P align="left">
<b>Ability One:</b> Teleportation- A short burst of energy shoots the fox forward for quick escapes 
<br><b>Ability Two:</b> Tail Attack- Can be spammed to overwhelm opponents before they have a chance to react. 
<Br> <br>The Fox is a predator, and it is good at what it does. 
Quickly pouncing upon any approaching robot that is smaller than 
itself, the Fox will suddenly appear beside its quarry and whip 
it into submission. However the fox is not very hardy, and the moment 
something puts up any sort of resistance, it will reconsider its actions and will run away as quickly 
as it attacked if things seem inconveninent. 
<br> 
<br>
simple stuff. However I grow weary of having to type the code in each time twice for each entry and in different formats, and having a template or a program that would just have me fill in fields and then spit out the entry in both formats would make my work so much quicker.

The ideal scenario would have a spot for putting the url of the photo in the forums version of the entry as well, so I could just upload in a batch and then stick in the urls to each entry so it would come out complete. I'd love if there was a way I could directly upload the picture on both waffleimages and my bestiary site along with the entry but I feel like that would require access to the server which I don't have. Either that or take too much work.

If I could just have a program where I fill in fields and come out with ready to copy-paste versions for both forums and website then that would be awesome and I'd be most appreciative. If this is super easy and you guys have some ideas to make it even easier on me, such as also providing the template for the upadates url to add to the OP table of contents or spaces for adding in the urls of the videos in the update as well, then you guys would be my heroes. Any extra touches you guys want to add to show off would be noticed and appreciated greatly. If there's clarification needed please let me know, I don't think this is too difficult to make a program for if I knew for sure I wouldn't even be posting here. Thanks so much for your time guys.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 5, 2008

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Oldstench posted:

Glad you like it. If you notice any weird bugs or anything, put it on the discussion page for the app and I'll try to fix it.
Oh yes, it's now pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Only thing easier would be some kind of mind-blowing one-click-context-menu-magic thing to make it rediculously simplistic, but nevermind that.. :)

I've noticed it doesn't handle Asian characters in filenames. Handles western language characters like umlauts and French accent characters (such as é) fine though. I don't know if that warrants a post on the discussion page, though...

What do you think?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tapedump posted:

I've noticed it doesn't handle Asian characters in filenames. Handles western language characters like umlauts and French accent characters (such as é) fine though. I don't know if that warrants a post on the discussion page, though...

What do you think?

I have not done anything with Unicode support before. I'll give it a shot, but don't really have any way to test it. Can you give me your email address?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Sure. :) I don't have PM access here, but I'm (my nick) [at] gmail.com.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Factor Mystic posted:

Way old, but got bored and updated this, so now you don't have to do the shortcut trick :)

http://factormystic.net/blog/turn-off-monitor-v2

Awesome! Thank you for this I use it every night! Now I don't have to try and find the button 20 feet away while half awake :)

Mad Brahmin
Dec 29, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

...a program where I fill in fields and come out with ready to copy-paste versions for both forums and website...

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Silicon_Valley_LP_Thing

Copies text from field to clipboard when specified button is pressed. I think it should work, I never really worked with c# before.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
God, this is perfect! I want to make an update now just so I can use my new toy! A million thanks brahmin! :rock:

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Really, really easy request:

"I'd like an app that will just press a key combo over and over again until I tell it to stop (specifically ctrl-u, but it would be cool to generalize it). Shouldn't be too hard to code, but I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks a lot to anyone who takes a couple minutes to do this :)."

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1205100674

Thanks so much if anyone would be willing to do this real quick.

Mad Brahmin
Dec 29, 2004

placebo posted:

I'd like an app that will just press a key combo over and over again until I tell it to stop

These kinds of things can be done very easily in AutoIt. When the following is run then started (control y) it will send asdf until it is stopped by either exiting (control u) or stopping (control t). The program includes a bunch of examples and a decent help file.

code:
$Running = 0

AutoItSetOption("SendKeyDelay", 1)

HotKeySet("^y", "Start")
HotKeySet("^t", "Stop")
HotKeySet("^u", "Terminate")

While 1
	if($Running == 1) Then
		Send("asdf")
		Sleep(500)
	EndIf
WEnd

Func Start()
	$Running  = 1
EndFunc

Func Stop()
	$Running = 0
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
	Exit 0
EndFunc
Remove Sleep(500) or reduce the value to make it send the keys faster. The character right before the hotkey is the optinal modifier: ^ for control, ! for alt, + for shift, # for windows key

Mad Brahmin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 10, 2008

Michelle
Nov 12, 2003

Uh, Tony? My face is up here.

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I want something that can sort through a mIRC log file, and separate each line into a different text file, named after the nickname that said it, in the same directory. (With an option to remove timestamps, if present.)

Posting under an old account to say I've finished this request. I'll rewrite what's up there to be more efficient tomorrow but this version should work just fine in the meantime.

Page is at: http://tinyappz.com/wiki/IRC_Chatlog_Sorter

Michelle fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 11, 2008

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Michelle posted:

Posting under an old account to say I've finished this request. I'll rewrite what's up there to be more efficient tomorrow but this version should work just fine in the meantime.

Page is at: http://tinyappz.com/wiki/IRC_Chatlog_Sorter

Whoops, you just reminded me that I never uploaded the source for my PHP answer to this request. http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Parsemirc

Orsenfelt
Feb 7, 2008
Scottish Madman
I have no idea how possible this is, If it's not, Let me know, Bit of a longshot anyway.

Looking for an app that will go through a forum thread and combine the content of the posts into 1 .txt document or such.

Basically to be used on a massive "Three-word story" type thread. (Where each user posts 3 words only to continue and on-going, ever-changing story...)

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Orsenfelt posted:

I have no idea how possible this is, If it's not, Let me know, Bit of a longshot anyway.

Looking for an app that will go through a forum thread and combine the content of the posts into 1 .txt document or such.

Basically to be used on a massive "Three-word story" type thread. (Where each user posts 3 words only to continue and on-going, ever-changing story...)

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Single_Page_Thread_v2

although your needs may require a little customization.

Senorsock
Dec 14, 2006

Had a small request from an acquaintance that wants a small windows application to take an image (jpg, etc...) of part of the first page of a pdf, and slap it into multiple word documents. He is willing to pay for it. Don’t really know many more details than that at the moment. PM me if you want his email address. If this isn’t the right place to ask, please point me in the right direction.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Put up a new request:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1205438257

quote:

I need a way of quickly dropping files into a folder based on the name via cmdline. Exact example of what I need in the exact file name format they're in: ARTIST_ALBUM_SONG-01-YEAR.MP3
ARTIST_DIFFERENTALBUM_SONG-01-YEAR.MP3
DIFFERENTARTIST_ALBUM_SONG-01-YEAR.MP3

These all exist in a flat directory. I would like to drop them into a subdirectory based on Album name.

Result:
ALBUM\ARTIST_ALBUM_SONG-01-YEAR.MP3
DIFFERENTALBUM\ARTIST_DIFFERENTALBUM_SONG-01-YEAR.MP3
ALBUM\DIFFERENTARTIST_ALBUM_SONG-01-YEAR.MP3

It would be cool if the app were a bit customizable. With usage something like this: tinyfolder.exe <source> <dest> -d="_" -f=2 -s="-"

-d="_" for delimiter is equal to the character _
-f for folder and to make the foldername equal to the 2nd occurance
-s for a stopping point to tell the command don't even bother with things after the character - (optional)

I don't care about the exact syntax or name of the app, use whatever you want for that. I DO NOT want to remove or change the filename itself in anyway. Just read it and make a folder based off the name.

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes this on!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tag and rename might fit the bill

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

ManoliIsFat posted:

tag and rename might fit the bill

Good call but I need it to be command line so I can schedule it to monitor an input folder. I also tried Bulk Rename Command which is awesome but is unable to meet this specific need. The files in question are not actually mp3's either... the filename format is the same, as in my example, but different info and are actually various file types.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Try this. I don't have access to a Windows machine, but I can provide you with an Intel Mac OS X binary if you like :shobon: Otherwise you'll need to compile it for yourself. Which means you need a c++ compiler and boost installed.

The example usage shows how to use it for your example. Basically you give it an extended regular expression for what files you want to match. Then you give a destination pathname using \n for the groups you created in the regex. So another example would be like:
code:
./filesort ".*(toast|pancake).*" "\1/"
That will put any file with "toast" in it into a toast directory and any file with "pancake" in it into a pancake directory. You can also use -p to pretend to do the move and see if it looks right before taking off the -p and really doing it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Thanks, that looks like that will work. I found a C++ compiler and installed boost then went ahead to download the source and attempt to compile... but the link on TinyAppz is busted. Can you post the file somewhere else or try renaming/re-uploading?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

That's because I forgot to upload the source file :downs: Uploaded now.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I can't get it to compile properly with the boost libraries. I'm going over the boost docs and trying my best, but if anybody less retarded than I can compile a windows XP/2k3/Vista binary successfully in the meanwhile I would really appreciate it.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Basically all you need to do is tell the compiler where the includes are and where the libraries are. For example I installed boost into /opt/local so when I compiled filesort I used:

$ g++ filesort.cpp -o filesort -I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib -lboost_filesystem -lboost_regex -lboost_program_options

So we have:
-o filesort: Binary's name is filesort
-I/opt/local/include: Telling the compiler where boost includes are
-L/opt/local/lib: Telling the linker where boost libraries are
-lboost_filesystem -lboost_regex -lboost_program_options: I use these three boost libraries

I'm not sure how that translates into a Windows environment, but maybe just look for a place to add include paths, library paths, and linking options?

If you're getting an error like "Can't find file boost/regex.hpp" for example, then you're not telling the compiler where the boost include files are. If you're getting something like "symbols not found" then the linker isn't finding the boost libraries.

Sorry I'm not more help :shobon:

Edit: I recoded it in Python if that helps, see the entry on TinyAppz for the source. Keep in mind this is my first ever python script.

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 14, 2008

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Can I request a change to the Single Page Thread v2 app?

- Can you add a config file option, so that I can put my forums username/password in there? This is simply because I don't normally use firefox. For the same reason, allowing it to be configurable whether or not it opens the <threadid>.html file (at all, or in which browser) would be nice.

- Can you make it download all the images, CSS stylesheets, etc instead of linking to them over the web? This would make it a lot easier to archive a thread, something I've been trying to figure out how to do for a while now. Right now what I do is use Firefox to open the .html file singltPT created, and then Save As... "Webpage, complete".

Actually, if someone were feeling the urge to go above and beyond the call of duty, it might make sense to:
- download emots to a common folder - no sense in having as many copies of them as threads downloaded.
- download photobucket images to a common folder - for the same reason, and since photobucket stores images using hash as filename, images would never have a naming collision.
- download every other kind of image, stylesheet, etc to a folder specific to the threadid - to avoid naming collisions.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Lexical Unit posted:

Sorry I'm not more help :shobon:

Edit: I recoded it in Python if that helps, see the entry on TinyAppz for the source. Keep in mind this is my first ever python script.

Python still requires a runtime environment right? I was hoping for something a little more straight forward... I'll keep trying to compile the boost exe... Thank you for the efforts though.

Poz
Jul 18, 2005
Blacklisted.
I am looking for an automated rota program.
The scenario:

We have five people on our team, working 5 days per week.
There are three shifts:
8am - 16:30 (Early)
9am - 17:30 (Middle)
9:30am - 18:00 (Late)

Criteria:

Two people MUST be on the early daily
One person has to stay for the late period daily.
The rota must be generated for at least one month in advance.

One of the guys currently does the rota for us, but it has become a thing of favoratism.

Could a small application be created to generate this rota equally?

Any questions please PM me!!

-edit Needs to run on WinXP

Poz fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 17, 2008

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Poz posted:

I am looking for an automated rota program.
The scenario:

We have five people on our team, working 5 days per week.
There are three shifts:
8am - 16:30 (Early)
9am - 17:30 (Middle)
9:30am - 18:00 (Late)

Criteria:

Two people MUST be on the early daily
One person has to stay for the late period daily.
The rota must be generated for at least one month in advance.

One of the guys currently does the rota for us, but it has become a thing of favoratism.

Could a small application be created to generate this rota equally?

Any questions please PM me!!

-edit Needs to run on WinXP

code:
    [M] [T] [W] [H] [F]
[E]  1   2   3   4   5

[E]  2   3   4   5   1

[L]  3   4   5   1   2

[A]  4   5   1   2   3

[A]  5   1   2   3   4
Draw for the numbers 1-5. E = Early, L = Late, A = whatever shift that person wants. Regular hours every week for everyone.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.
I need an application that will sit in the notification area, rather than the taskbar, that will at fairly brief intervals (say, every second or so) ensure that Caps Lock is ON, and if it is not on, will turn it on. It would be ideal if this application could be right-clicked and suspended/resumed in the notification area.

Thanks!

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Midelne posted:

I need an application that will sit in the notification area, rather than the taskbar, that will at fairly brief intervals (say, every second or so) ensure that Caps Lock is ON, and if it is not on, will turn it on. It would be ideal if this application could be right-clicked and suspended/resumed in the notification area.

Thanks!

Another great job for AutoIt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

kaniff posted:

Another great job for AutoIt

Unfortunately not possible in the situation I'm working with.

edit: Crap, I was thinking of a different program. Sorry for the quick dismissal. I think this'll actually work fine once I figure it out. Thanks man.

re-edit: It turned out to be a two-line job in AutoIt. Thanks a million!

Midelne fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 18, 2008

• Locked thread