Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
And I absolutely will not mind paying for the damages all by myself. I just had an interview with the Harbor Freight corporate office for an IT position and if all goes well I should have a new job within two weeks.

I just felt like sharing my story with the rest of you and was hoping to get some advice, which I did from the legal megathread. In reality I should have walked away from the car after I crashed it but, you live and you learn.

Hey look a new page, have a picture.

I will make it look like that again one day.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone have any experience repairing the rust under the doors? Where to go? What to expect? What to ask for?

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Coolnezzz posted:

you live and you learn.
I can't fault you for inexperience. So keep on keepin' on.

I for one would like to see a project thread on repairing your crash damage when you get the money.

Also hopefully that Harbor Freight job means you get to hook AI up with sweet deals on bargain tools.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Anyone have any experience repairing the rust under the doors? Where to go? What to expect? What to ask for?

Are you talking about the rockers? God my driver's side one is looking terrible lately. No money to do anything there to help either. :gonk:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Well guys, I got some things for my 6UL's to wear in the mail today.. the rental office was annoyed enough to call me the moment they came in to pick them up :coal:

Ize
Aug 1, 2006

destructo posted:

Well guys, I got some things for my 6UL's to wear in the mail today.. the rental office was annoyed enough to call me the moment they came in to pick them up :coal:

When I, y'know, get enough money to actually buy a Miata(college student) I'm going to be using the exact same wheels and tires.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ize posted:

When I, y'know, get enough money to actually buy a Miata(college student) I'm going to be using the exact same wheels and tires.
I worked 60 hours a week last summer at my internship to pick mine up, and boy, it was worth it :3:.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

I worked 60 hours a week last summer at my internship to pick mine up, and boy, it was worth it :3:.

Ouch, that sucks. I work 15 hours in a week if I'm lucky and I'll have mine paid off before year out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pulled the trigger on an OEM front air dam. Yay injury claims!

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Pulled the trigger on an OEM front air dam. Yay injury claims!

How much did it end up costing you? I'm probably going to get one when I order the new fender and rear bumper for my car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
150$ shipped with 2 day delivery; it should be here on Tuesday.

I still need to figure out what I'm doing next: rollbar, stereo + speakers or buckets.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Questions once again - apologies if this has already been answered.

Is there a model designation for a Miata with no options at all? Is this available? If, so, what years were they available?

By no options I mean power nothing - no power steering, a/c, windows. (I'm not too sure there were any without power steering)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
GAAAAH,

I called a man on Monday about a Miata he was selling for 2k. He told me he was too busy during the week but I could come see it Saturday.

I just called him back and he said, "Sorry, it's on longer for sale." and hung up on me. What a dick! I was so excited about getting a new car :(

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

AF posted:

Is there a model designation for a Miata with no options at all? Is this available? If, so, what years were they available?

By no options I mean power nothing - no power steering, a/c, windows. (I'm not too sure there were any without power steering)

My '92 had manual steering and it was wonderful. It did have AC but it came without a belt and I never bothered putting one on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AF posted:

Base and R packages. Base models are easy to spot from the steel wheels. R packages are easy to spot BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND ANY OH GOD :smithicide:

But a base model may have power steering.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

chem42 posted:

My '92 had manual steering and it was wonderful. It did have AC but it came without a belt and I never bothered putting one on.

Yeah, I love manual steering. And manual windows. I had it on a Civic, and my father's 280z. Would take it over a power rack anyday. (Unless I was rallying, in which it may be an advantage, thank Cat Terrist)

drat, I hate those steelies. :( Oh well, I guess I'll look for a base and get new wheels.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I'm kind of lusting after manual steering too, can I just disable it or am I going to have to go through the hassle of getting a manual rack? The power windows are going next week, so I've got that one covered.
Strangely enough, I also had manual steering on a Civic ('86 carbed hatch) and a 280z ('76).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mobn posted:

Ouch, that sucks. I work 15 hours in a week if I'm lucky and I'll have mine paid off before year out.
Yeah I'm back to around ~15 hours a week now, but I'm working a healthy 60 hours over break to start paying off the planned BEGI-S kit, are you going to hit any of the autocross meets in the area this season?

edited for grammatical inaccuracy.

destructo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 8, 2008

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

goml23 posted:

I'm kind of lusting after manual steering too, can I just disable it or am I going to have to go through the hassle of getting a manual rack? The power windows are going next week, so I've got that one covered.
Strangely enough, I also had manual steering on a Civic ('86 carbed hatch) and a 280z ('76).

you can:
A) take off the power steering belt
B) Do A and also loop the lines so you aren't pushing the fluid around
C) http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php
D) buy a manual rack

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

Yeah I'm back to around ~15 hours a week now, but I'm working a healthy 60 hours over break to start paying off the planned BEGI-S kit, are you going to hit any of the autocross meets in the area this season?

edited for grammatical inaccuracy.

Prolly not. The nearest group is Milwaukee and I don't make enough money to pay for the gas+entry fees+tires I'd eat through. I plan on doing all that fun stuff once it's paid off.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
This is going to be quite general, but how much should I expect to spend on an NA Miata that is:

edit: nevermind, Schwack is right. thanks

AF fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 8, 2008

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
From my shopping experience, prices bounce all over. Why dont you just get on craiglist/autotrader and start looking? That will give you a better idea than anything you'll find here.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Schwack posted:

From my shopping experience, prices bounce all over. Why dont you just get on craiglist/autotrader and start looking? That will give you a better idea than anything you'll find here.
Exactly, individual markets fluctuate way too much to really give a nice general price, don't even get me started on Seattle.

For reference, the 1990 Miata+hardtop I picked up with 69k miles on it in Rockford, IL went for ~4700 when I bargained them down due to a couple minor things (timing belt not done, etc). I called 15 minutes after it posted to CL and when they got back to me, they said that 14 people had called after I did. I saw it that night, gave them a check, and picked it up the next week when it cleared.

destructo fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 8, 2008

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

destructo posted:

don't even get me started on Seattle.

Oh man, I feel you there. I'm also in Seattle, and I swear the market price for decent Miatas around here is at least 50% higher than the rest of the country. Which isn't so bad once you have one, but it loving sucks when you're trying to buy one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But remember, if you ask Miata.Net, if you pay anything over 3k, you paid too much.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Phone posted:

But remember, if you ask Miata.Net, if you pay anything over 3k, you paid too much.

I noticed this when I was browsing their pricing forums. They dont seem to live in areas where the demand is high at all. One car I went to look at had 7 people with appointments all in the same day, 3 days after the listing was posted.

ps: I saw you on battle.net.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Schwack posted:

I noticed this when I was browsing their pricing forums. They dont seem to live in areas where the demand is high at all. One car I went to look at had 7 people with appointments all in the same day, 3 days after the listing was posted.

poo poo, when I was looking about a year ago, it was not uncommon AT ALL for listed cars to be sold the same day. About 1 in 3 cars I inquired about got sold before I even had a chance to go see them - and I usually tried to see them the same or next day.

I can only assume they sold for near/at asking price if they're selling that quickly, too.

And this was in January/February, in Seattle... during the peak of the rainy season.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
I've just had a track day and I think im in need of new break pads and iv needed a cambelt change for awhile, so im in for an expensive month.

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/292 - Green stuff front pads
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/293 - Green stuff rear pads
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/231 - Oil Filter
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/235 - NGK Sparkplug Set

These are the parts im thinking of supplying myself for them to be fitted when it goes in to whichever garage I take it too, does anyone have any comments on these parts/products or any recommendations on anything else I should supply myself?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Suniikaa posted:

you can:
A) take off the power steering belt
B) Do A and also loop the lines so you aren't pushing the fluid around
C) http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php
D) buy a manual rack

I dont suggest only doing A. This past summer my power steering/AC belt decided to shred itself. It SUCKED to drive it like that, though that might have something to do with the 7 degrees caster. The steering was quite heavy at low speeds and extremely heavy at high speeds. I dont recommend it.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
I dont know about the manual rack guys.

i've got a manual rack with azenis and a 330mm wheel and parking in my garage sucks. :(

also. I'm M.net approved 1995 base with 88k miles RB intake and BSP exhaust for $3000 even.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just found some water in my trunk that had been absorbed by most of the insulation. It was pouring pretty hard yesterday with some gusty winds, though.

What should I be looking at to make sure that I don't have any moisture in my trunk?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Clear your drains and pray your rainrail is ok.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
check the gaskets around the taillights, i dont have any any my car loves getting water in the trunk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I did have the softtop on. :/

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
So is it possible to find a NB miata in the Golden Horshoe area of Ontario for under 3-4k or will it be about dying when I get it. Also, how you people find driving the miata in the snow with snow tires.

Right now I'm just been comparing it to my neon which has been a tank in the winter so far as long as I take it slow and that's just with all seasons. The other question is what is the trunk space like, or should I invest in a little trailer type thing if I were to say go camping.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

ManiacMatt posted:

So is it possible to find a NB miata in the Golden Horshoe area of Ontario for under 3-4k or will it be about dying when I get it. Also, how you people find driving the miata in the snow with snow tires.

Right now I'm just been comparing it to my neon which has been a tank in the winter so far as long as I take it slow and that's just with all seasons. The other question is what is the trunk space like, or should I invest in a little trailer type thing if I were to say go camping.
I would be surprised to find an NB anywhere for 3-4k that isn't absolutely beat to poo poo.

I don't do extensive driving in the snow, but the few times my Miata's been out in it, it didn't seem to be a problem. Granted, you shouldn't go too deep in the stuff, as the Miata has low ground clearance and you'll have to learn a new set of handling skills as it's rear wheel drive, but it won't kill you or anything.

Trunk space is small. You can get a little more room by leaving the top up and packing on the rear shelf or leaving the top down and (carefully!) stacking on top of it. The passenger's seat is also useful if you don't have a passenger. I can pack for two people for a long weekend, but if you need lots of gear, it's not going to fit. If you do use the trunk, packing it like it's a suitcase (rather than suitcase > trunk) will make the most of your room.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

einTier posted:

I would be surprised to find an NB anywhere for 3-4k that isn't absolutely beat to poo poo.

I don't do extensive driving in the snow, but the few times my Miata's been out in it, it didn't seem to be a problem. Granted, you shouldn't go too deep in the stuff, as the Miata has low ground clearance and you'll have to learn a new set of handling skills as it's rear wheel drive, but it won't kill you or anything.

Trunk space is small. You can get a little more room by leaving the top up and packing on the rear shelf or leaving the top down and (carefully!) stacking on top of it. The passenger's seat is also useful if you don't have a passenger. I can pack for two people for a long weekend, but if you need lots of gear, it's not going to fit. If you do use the trunk, packing it like it's a suitcase (rather than suitcase > trunk) will make the most of your room.

If you and your passenger are small you can also put the seat backs forward and fit a few things behind them. If you ditch your spare the trunk's actually fairly roomy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Well I think my slave cyl just bit it. If I leave the car for a while the clutch engagement is quite close to the floor. I can pump it back up, but later its at the floor again. Fluid doesn't seem to be leaking out anywhere in a hurry though. I noticed it was also low as well at a friends house and threw some opened brake fluid in there in case there was a leak. I did overfill it past the max line since I didn't have a funnel. I only drove for ~2 miles to get home. I'm going to flush the system anyway obviously so I wasn't terribly worried about the old fluid. I know its less than a year old. What happens when you overfill the master cyl anyway?

I'm going to go and replace the slave unless I get a reason to do the master at the same time.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Ziploc posted:

Well I think my slave cyl just bit it. If I leave the car for a while the clutch engagement is quite close to the floor. I can pump it back up, but later its at the floor again. Fluid doesn't seem to be leaking out anywhere in a hurry though. I noticed it was also low as well at a friends house and threw some opened brake fluid in there in case there was a leak. I did overfill it past the max line since I didn't have a funnel. I only drove for ~2 miles to get home. I'm going to flush the system anyway obviously so I wasn't terribly worried about the old fluid. I know its less than a year old. What happens when you overfill the master cyl anyway?

I'm going to go and replace the slave unless I get a reason to do the master at the same time.

Before you flush the system, get the car off the ground and have someone pump the clutch while you watch for fluid spilling out from anywhere. I had clutch issues that I though were the slave cylinder, but it turned out it was just a little bit of line that had a hole rubbed in it. Maybe you'll be lucky and it's the same thing for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Can anyone here relate any experiences with OEM windblockers? I'm thinking about putting one from an NB into my NA and was curious. M.net doesn't have too many user reviews.