Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

I've only started reading that forum and I have to say that the posters there are hilarious. Too bad they don't seem to allow new registration anymore.

Hilarious because they're so uptight about packaging, or hilarious because they're always trying to out-snob each other? I rarely post there, I can't stand most of them. However, it's a good source of info like this:

quote:

So I got the chance to talk to Criterion President Peter Becker last night at a screening of the Last Emperor (which by the way is an amazing restoration and transfer). Keeping you guys in mind I had to ask him a few questions...

First I asked him about if and when Criterion will be switching to Blu-Ray, and he said that as soon as it has reached a certain amount of market saturation it's inevitable. And that were not quite there but almost.

Then I asked for hints on upcoming releases that hadn't been announced and he mentioned Bottle Rocket (which I know everyone already knows) then he asked someone else from Criterion ( a Lady who's name I forget) And she said Patriotism is what she was working on, which I'm assuming is the Lost Yukio Mishima film. Then said SALO is being re-issued.

If you know me you know I live for this film, so I questioned him about it a bit further. Its Slated for an August/September Release date and will include a making of documentary with Pasolini interviews. As to wether or not it includes the Venice film festival version he didn't know offhand.

A film written, directed by and starring Mishima should be interesting (although according to iMDB it's only 30 minutes). He was pretty good in Afraid to Die.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I'd wager she meant she was working on Patriotism as a bonus for the upcoming Mishima release.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Hilarious because they're so uptight about packaging, or hilarious because they're always trying to out-snob each other? I rarely post there, I can't stand most of them. However, it's a good source of info like this:

Both. At least they're not overrun by poo poo threads like on a few other HT forums, but the Criterion/Eclipse speculation threads read like a 20 page BYOB circlejerk.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Og Oggilby posted:

I'm bored:

Would only buy this if all of them came with an MST3k version!

Also laughed at your joke about the Salo brown case.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Finally!

#429 - The Lovers

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the complete, uncensored version
- Selection of archival interviews with Louis Malle, actors Jeanne Moreau and José Luis de Villalonga, and writer Louise de Vilmorin
- Gallery of promotional material from the U.S. theatrical release
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film historian Ginette Vincendeau

#430 - The Fire Within

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Archival interviews with director Louis Malle and actor Maurice Ronet
- Malle's Fire Within, a new video program featuring interviews with actor Alexandra Stewart and filmmakers Philippe Collin and Volker Schlöndorff
- Jusqu'au 23 Juillet, a 2005 documentary short about Pierre Drieu la Rochelle's novel Le feu follet and dadaist writer Jacques Rigaut (the inspiration for the main character), featuring actor Mathieu Amalric, writer Didier Daeninckx, and Cannes festival curator Pierre-Henri Deleau
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critic Michel Ciment and historian Peter Cowie

#431 - The Thief of Bagdad

- SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- Restored digital transfer
- Two audio commentaries: one featuring renowned directors Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese, and one with film and music historian Bruce Eder
- New interviews with special-effects experts Ray Harryhausen, Dennis Muren, and Craig Barron about the technical achievements of The Thief of Bagdad
- The Lion Has Wings (1940), Alexander Korda's propaganda film for the English war effort, during The Thief of Bagdad's production hiatus
- Excerpts from codirector Michael Powell's audio dictations for his autobiography
- Selections of music by composer Miklos Rózsa not used in the final film
- Stills gallery featuring rare Dufaycolor images of the film's production
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholars Andrew Moor and Ian Christie

Frankly, I think they've done enough Malle, but I'll check them out anyway. Also Powell is always good. That cover is insane, though. Overall, I'd consider this to be yet another lackluster month.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 21, 2008

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I really wish they would start releasing some more obscure poo poo. Ideally at least one release per month should be something I've never (or only rarely) heard of.

wilkee
Dec 23, 2003
poo poo head
i almost flipped my poo poo when i saw the lovers and the fire within. Those two were on my wish list for criterion releases. After these two, then they can stop releasing Louis Malle movies. I took a class on him last year and have been obsessed with seeing the fire within again for so long. Can't wait!

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

cryme posted:

I really wish they would start releasing some more obscure poo poo. Ideally at least one release per month should be something I've never (or only rarely) heard of.

Now that they have the Eclipse line, the Merchant Ivory series, and the budget short film discs for The Red Balloon, etc. - it wouldn't be a bad idea if they would put out bare-bones discs of whatever else they have. Basically, if they're planning a full-on Criterion, an Eclipse styled single disc would be like a work in progress without the extra digital work and supplements.

If the bare-bones is $10-14, it won't be a big deal when the more expensive $25-35 full-on Criterion comes out. Warner Bros. did this with Blade Runner by releasing the bare-bones remastered '92 director's cut for $9 a year before the ultimate 4-disc and 5-disc sets.

At least this method would get films that have already have decent remasters existing like stuff already released in R2 or have been shown on TCM.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some folks are saying this is Mon Oncle Antoine. Beats me.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
The top ten list from Beastie Boy Adam Yauch in the recent newsletter was hilarious:

Adam Yauch posted:

1. Seven Samurai
C’mon, I gotta tell why this movie is good? You tell me!
2. Walkabout
Saw this one when I was in junior high school and it stayed with me. Glad to see it in the collection.
3. Nights of Cabiria
I don’t know what to write. I just love this movie.
4. Yojimbo
I guess you have figured out by now that I am really not going to review any of the films that I picked.
5. Sanjuro
But I do like the folks up at the Criterion Collection. Those are my people up in there.
6. Rushmore
They are a really great team that’s into some bugged-out, esoteric poo poo.
7. And God Created Woman
Peter is like the bigwig. He’s the head honcho.
8. The Harder They Come
Susan has her ear to the street. She always looks for some interesting stuff to put out.
9. Rashomon
When I was hanging out up there Heather was working on the audio. But now she switched over to some other department.
10. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Sometimes I get free DVDs from Criterion, but not always. I wanted to get one of each, you know, like the whole collection, but they said, “No, Adam, we don’t do that.”

I'm also really looking forward to those Malle films. Great cover designs, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The DVDBeaver comparison on Antonio Gaudi is a perfect example of how awful Image Entertainment's discs are. The difference is like night and day.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
To be fair, Image DVDs are only as good as what materials they get. Same for the Milestone label, as this was a very early release for them. A lot of their early DVDs are still quite good like the Hearst-licensed Flash Gordon serials.

Image once had to distribute all those early Kino DVDs, which Kino keeps repackaging a decade later.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
There are also situations like the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame where the source material sucks - all 35mm copies of the film are gone and they had to work from 16mm. So even though it's supposedly remastered and whatnot it's only going to look so good.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
I spotted Straw Dogs and Dazed & Confused (both $30) at a local used DVD place along with Smiles of a Summer Night ($12). Are they worth picking up? Specifically Straw Dogs and Smiles of a Summer Night since I've seen neither (although I've heard a lot about Straw Dogs).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Straw Dogs is going for huge prices just used, so get it if it's only $30. Probably can make money if you re-sell it.

Horseface posted:

There are also situations like the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame where the source material sucks - all 35mm copies of the film are gone and they had to work from 16mm. So even though it's supposedly remastered and whatnot it's only going to look so good.

Most of the silents Image released were from Film Preservation Associates, who usually does great work. Hunchback had a very early DVD, but a remastered SE came out recently from a new 1080i digital restoration.

Licensing is a really scary prospect since there's always the danger that you're stuck with a crappy transfer. Criterion has been fortunate to avoid that for the most part since they're so picky (besides the lousy first editions of M and Salo). Even the big studios get lemons like Paramount licensing to Lionsgate an atrocious VHS-quality transfer of The Quiet Man. At the same time, Lionsgate recieved flawless remasters from StudioCanal for their Hitchcock, Godard, and Bunuel sets.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

IndieRockLance posted:

I spotted Straw Dogs and Dazed & Confused (both $30) at a local used DVD place along with Smiles of a Summer Night ($12). Are they worth picking up? Specifically Straw Dogs and Smiles of a Summer Night since I've seen neither (although I've heard a lot about Straw Dogs).

I really like Straw Dogs, but it's a film I'd hesitate to recommend as a blind buy. Have you seen any other Peckinpah films?
$30 for Dazed an condused sounds like too much since you can easily buy it online new for $25.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

Straw Dogs is going for huge prices just used, so get it if it's only $30. Probably can make money if you re-sell it.

No, not really. Check eBay, most of the sales have been under $25. I wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy either. I guess most people like it, but I don't see it having a lot of replay value. And $30 for D&C is a rip-off.

$12 for Smiles of a Summer Night is a good deal, and it's Bergman's best comedy.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

FitFortDanga posted:

$12 for Smiles of a Summer Night is a good deal, and it's Bergman's best comedy.
You say "best comedy" like Bergman was famous for them.

Now that we're on the subject, what other comedies did he make?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Green Vulture posted:

You say "best comedy" like Bergman was famous for them.

Now that we're on the subject, what other comedies did he make?

From best to worst:

Secrets of Women - three stories, the third of which is a nice little marriage-on-the-rocks farce

The Devil's Eye - not bad, occasionally amusing, but it doesn't really work very well

A Lesson in Love - very conventional, and kind of broad

All These Women - horrible, horrible, horrible... in my opinion, his worst movie

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm selling some of mine if any of you are interested

Seven Samurai remastered 3 disc $20
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas $20
La Haine $25
Rushmore $22
The Third Man remastered $25
Army of Shadows $26
Brazil remastered 3 disc $45

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
A post on criterionforum.org sort of hints at Criterion getting Ossessione.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

A post on criterionforum.org sort of hints at Criterion getting Ossessione.

Hell yes! I'm a big fan of Visconti and that's my most-wanted of his.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm selling some of mine if any of you are interested

Seven Samurai remastered 3 disc $20
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas $20
La Haine $25
Rushmore $22
The Third Man remastered $25
Army of Shadows $26
Brazil remastered 3 disc $45

Is it because they are all reversed? :wth: Those are some major quality control oversights by Criterion.

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts
It looks like the picture was taken in a mirror.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The Bacon God posted:

It looks like the picture was taken in a mirror.

But that makes even less sense. Why hold them up to a mirror and take a picture when you could lay them on a shelf or floor and take the picture?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Took the pic with a webcam

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

You know that every photo editing software package ever made has a feature where you can flip a image, right? Hell, even Paint has flip.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

But why just not leave it normal?! WHY?!!

I'll shut up now. I really want to get Antonio Gaudi.

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Hopefully Criterion is one-step closer to releasing Zazie dans le Métro after all those second-rates Malle films

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New announcements!

#432 - MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS

(no cover art yet)

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
- New audio commentary featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
- The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute BBC documentary about the author
- New interviews with Donald Richie and John Nathan, collaborators and friends of Yukio Mishima
- New interviews with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
- A new audio interview with coscreenwriter Chieko Schrader
- A video interview excerpt featuring Mishima talking about writing
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Kevin Jackson and a piece on the film’s censorship in Japan

I'm not QUITE as fond of this movie as I used to be, but it's still a must-buy. Nice juicy extras.

#433: PATRIOTISM

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the Japanese and English versions, with optional Japanese or English intertitles
- A 45-minute audio recording of Yukio Mishima speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Association of Japan
- A 45-minute making-of documentary, featuring crew from the film's production
- Interview excerpts featuring Mishima discussing war and death
- PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns, Mishima's original short story, and Mishima's extensive notes on the film's production

Heh, two supplements that are longer than the movie. Rental with a possible buy.

#434: CLASSES TOUS RISQUES

- Excerpts from Claude Sautet ou La magie invisible, a documentary on the director by writers N. T. Binh and Dominique Rabourdin
- Archival interview footage featuring actor Lino Ventura discussing his career
- Original French and U.S. release trailers
- PLUS: New essays by director Bertrand Tavernier and critic N. T. Binh, a reprinted interview with Sautet, and a tribute by Jean-Pierre Melville

I don't know anything about this one. Sounds okay.

#435: THE FURIES

- Audio commentary featuring film historian Jim Kitses (Horizons West)
- A rare, 1931 on-camera interview with Walter Huston, made for the movie theater series Intimate Interviews
- New video interview with Nina Mann, daughter of director Anthony Mann
- Stills gallery of rare behind-the-scenes photos
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Robin Wood ans a 1957 Cahiers du cinéma interview with Mann, as well as a new printing of Niven Busch's original novel
- More!

I have yet to see an Anthony Mann western, but I keep hearing how great they are.

#436: BEFORE THE RAIN

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Milcho Manchevski
- Audio commentary featuring Manchevski and film scholar Annette Insdorf
- New video interview with actor Rade Šerbedžija
- Manchevski's award-winning music video of Arrested Development's "Tennessee"
- Stills galleries of Manchevski's photographs and on-set shots
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ian Christie

I'm very interested in this one. I love Insdorf's commentaries, too.

No sign of a new Eclipse series yet.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

New announcements!

#433: PATRIOTISM

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the Japanese and English versions, with optional Japanese or English intertitles
- A 45-minute audio recording of Yukio Mishima speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Association of Japan
- A 45-minute making-of documentary, featuring crew from the film's production
- Interview excerpts featuring Mishima discussing war and death
- PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns, Mishima's original short story, and Mishima's extensive notes on the film's production

Holy poo poo that is a badass cover.

It's strange how much a Criterion cover can convince me to check out a movie.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

#435: THE FURIES

Haven't seen it, but it sounds fantastic. And it comes with a book? Sweet.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Holy poo poo that is a badass cover.

It's strange how much a Criterion cover can convince me to check out a movie.

I agree. I have never heard of the movie before, but drat, that cover makes me want to check it out.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

#432 - MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS

(no cover art yet)

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
- New audio commentary featuring Schrader and producer Alan Poul
- The Strange Case of Yukio Mishima, a 55-minute BBC documentary about the author
- New interviews with Donald Richie and John Nathan, collaborators and friends of Yukio Mishima
- New interviews with Bailey, producers Tom Luddy and Mata Yamamoto, composer Philip Glass, and production designer Eiko Ishioka
- A new audio interview with coscreenwriter Chieko Schrader
- A video interview excerpt featuring Mishima talking about writing
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Kevin Jackson and a piece on the film’s censorship in Japan

I'm not QUITE as fond of this movie as I used to be, but it's still a must-buy. Nice juicy extras.

What are the odds that this will have the Roy Scheider narration? (Also, any idea why that was replaced in the first place?)

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

All posts are equal but some posts are more equal than others

FitFortDanga posted:

#434: CLASSES TOUS RISQUES

- Excerpts from Claude Sautet ou La magie invisible, a documentary on the director by writers N. T. Binh and Dominique Rabourdin
- Archival interview footage featuring actor Lino Ventura discussing his career
- Original French and U.S. release trailers
- PLUS: New essays by director Bertrand Tavernier and critic N. T. Binh, a reprinted interview with Sautet, and a tribute by Jean-Pierre Melville

I don't know anything about this one. Sounds okay.

This is a pretty solid French crime/gangster film - not so much New Wave, feels more like Rififi or Melville's stuff. I may look into this one.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Has anyone here actually used DVD Planet? I noticed almost all their 2-disc sets were 5 bucks cheaper than Deep Discounts. I've heard DVD Planet has lovely customer service so I was kinda hesitant to order from them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Has anyone here actually used DVD Planet? I noticed almost all their 2-disc sets were 5 bucks cheaper than Deep Discounts. I've heard DVD Planet has lovely customer service so I was kinda hesitant to order from them.

I used them once and had no problems, but that was probably 2-3 years ago.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I have and haven't had a problem. They ship from the same warehouse as Deepdiscount and I think are owned by the same parent company.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Every time I've used DVD Planet, they've been great.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I've used 'em twice during the big sales, and sure the turnaround time isn't the greatest but the prices are worth it. I just wouldn't splurge on the cheapest shipping, I didn't really notice any difference between it and the free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm pretty sure DVDPlanet is the same company as Deep Discount to tell you the truth, their invoices are exactly the same.

DVDPlanet is best for Criterion