Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992
I recently started collecting vinyl and was wondering where I could find some Reel Big Fish and or Chinkees(not sure if these exist) records. I've heard the vinyl version of "In the Pit" and its amazing. Any leads to these would be grateful. Also if you haven't listened to The Chinkees yet, I highly recommend doing so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Kerk posted:

I recently started collecting vinyl and was wondering where I could find some Reel Big Fish and or Chinkees(not sure if these exist) records. I've heard the vinyl version of "In the Pit" and its amazing. Any leads to these would be grateful. Also if you haven't listened to The Chinkees yet, I highly recommend doing so!

I can answer the Chinkees very easily:
Peace Through Music:
http://asianmanrecords.com/basket/12vinyl.html
Karaoke With:
http://asianmanrecords.com/basket/7vinyl.html

I actually just ordered Karaoke myself. I think they put out others, but I'm not certain.

To back-track to the LTJ conversation, the proper order is:
Losing Streak > Borders And Boundaries > Hello Rockview > Pezcore >> Anthem >>> In With The Out Crowd

It's not that I don't like Hello Rockview. I like it a lot. But I never skip a track on Losing Streak, it's easily the best start to finish. And I just like the sound of Borders a bit more. And oddly, even though Losing Streak is my favorite, if I had to pick my top 5 LTJ songs, I don't think any are on there.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I've liked Anthem, B&B and IWTOC a lot more since the tours last February.

I'd say
Losing Streak > Anthem > Pezcore > Losers, Kings, and Things We Don't Understand > Borders & Boundaries > Hello Rockview > Goodbye Blue & White > B is for B-sides > ... > In With The Out Crowd

That's right, I consider Hello Rockview to be one of the weaker albums they've put out. And I'd still place it in my top 25 favorite albums. IWTOC is the only album (not including cover songs) that I end up skipping more than one track on. IWTOC would be 99% better if they re-released it completely unmastered.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Haha, I just listed myself on Facebook as attending the Streetlight show on the 21st and I'm by far the oldest person listed, most of the others are still in high school

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
gently caress yes, Big D and Catch 22 at Toads Place in New Haven, CT on 3/29. I'm going provided I have somebody to go with. :D

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

guppy posted:

Haha, I just listed myself on Facebook as attending the Streetlight show on the 21st and I'm by far the oldest person listed, most of the others are still in high school

Hah, I'm going to the 29th show and I feel like I'm going to be the youngest there. But that's probably because my dad had to buy the tickets to get me in. Eugh, I hate being under 18.

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008
Hello Ska Goons!

I've been looking into putting a ska group together with some friends here in Sacramento, but the biggest challenge I am having is finding a drummer. Do any of you know anyone in the Northern California area who plays ska or punk drums? This is totally a shot in the dark, but I'm running out of resources.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

alvinthegreat posted:

Hello Ska Goons!

I've been looking into putting a ska group together with some friends here in Sacramento, but the biggest challenge I am having is finding a drummer. Do any of you know anyone in the Northern California area who plays ska or punk drums? This is totally a shot in the dark, but I'm running out of resources.

I know someone in San Diego, but I don't know if that will help you. My info is in my profile if you're interested

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I've liked Anthem, B&B and IWTOC a lot more since the tours last February.

I'd say
Losing Streak > Anthem > Pezcore > Losers, Kings, and Things We Don't Understand > Borders & Boundaries > Hello Rockview > Goodbye Blue & White > B is for B-sides > ... > In With The Out Crowd

That's right, I consider Hello Rockview to be one of the weaker albums they've put out. And I'd still place it in my top 25 favorite albums. IWTOC is the only album (not including cover songs) that I end up skipping more than one track on. IWTOC would be 99% better if they re-released it completely unmastered.

Whoa whoa whoa. Hello Rockview and Pezcore below Anthem? Interesting. But wrong :colbert:. Although I may be a bit biased as Hello Rockview was the first ska album that I ever owned, and Theme Song for H Street was the first ska song outside of hearing Sell Out and The Impression That I Get on the radio when I was really young. My list goes
Hello Rockview > Pezcore or Losing Streak (depending on my mood) > Losers, Kings > Borders & Boundaries > Goodbye Blue & White > Anthem > B is for B-Sides

I don't have In With the Out Crowd on there because it sucks. Just my opinion, but it has no where near the energy or good songs of their other stuff. I've seen the songs live many times, and they're kinda fun there but the whole time I'm waiting for them to play something off one of their earlier albums.

I just have a huge place in my heart for Hello Rockview. God I love that album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Holy gently caress! Reel Big Fish's site doesn't show them yet, but Pollstar says they just announced some new tour dates, and the one in my city is four days after the Streelight show here. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

It's gonna be a good week.

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?AN=Y&By=Artist&Content=REEBIGR&PSKey=Y

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Some friends of mine have just formed a pretty cool Ska/fusiony band, still a little sketchy in parts, but they have some really groovy, original ideas. Check them out here:

http://www.myspace.com/egeszse

I was gonna go and see Reel Big Fish the other week, but essay deadlines got in the way :(

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008

seventeen posted:

I know someone in San Diego, but I don't know if that will help you. My info is in my profile if you're interested

Nah, 500 miles is a BIT far. I appreciate the thought, though.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
:siren: Attention Boston area Streetlight fans :siren:

Streetlight has added another night to the Middle East downstairs. Tickets are available now for those of you who couldn't get your hands on the first night's tickets before they sold out.

rocketpotato
May 6, 2005

Good news UKers. Big D are touring again in May and this time they've got Sonic Boom Six with them. Random Hand too. Last year Big D put on a pretty good show, Sonic Boom Six and Random Hand both put on really good shows too.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Now I'm going to look like an rear end based on the post above mine, but I can confirm that Big D are as awful live as they are recorded. I was hoping to skip their whole set since they opened for the Murphys, but I caught the last couple songs. I walked in on a song where the lead dude was playing a melodica and was ready to get down to some Augustus Pablo type jams, but then that song ended and it was back to wacky, generic third wave. Oh well.

I guess what I mean to say is, you have it in you, guys! I saw it for one song.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
A lot of people like the way Big D sounds. Besides, if I wanted a jam band, I'd go see the Grateful Dead.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I honestly think they haven't put on many good shows since the 2002 era after Marc Flynn left the band. Big D just doesn't work to me without the dual vocals I've seen them a bunch of times since then and occasionally they have a lot of flair and put on a great show, but Dave continually forgets his own lyrics and it kind of fucks up the flow. I remember being at the Palladium for Summer of Ska not too long ago and they had to restart LAX because Dave was so lost in the progression of the song. I've met him in person and he's a great guy but sometimes he just takes me out of it.

I'm kind of biased though because I haven't really enjoyed most of their work since Gipsy Hill with a few exceptions here and there, but then again it could always be nostalgia speaking so who cares it's awesome music and fun to dance to

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Any of you going to see Big D and Catch 22 in CT on the 29th?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

mix.lunar posted:

A lot of people like the way Big D sounds. Besides, if I wanted a jam band, I'd go see the Grateful Dead.

Augustus Pablo is not a jam band. I use "jams" as a term for "good songs," not noodle around on stage.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Ah, sorry. My bad, never heard of them before.

Chuck U. Farley
Jan 5, 2008
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

mix.lunar posted:

Ah, sorry. My bad, never heard of them before.

No way really?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
^
No need to be a dick man.

Mike_V posted:

Augustus Pablo is not a jam band. I use "jams" as a term for "good songs," not noodle around on stage.

I listened to one song on youtube. I'm not into original ska, but that instrument he plays is amazing. Nice chill music, thanks for introducing me to him.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So, is anyone else in the Cleveland area? If so, are you going to the best show ever?

4/20:

The Slackers
Bomb The Music Industry!

Holy poo poo. Two of my favorite bands ever playing a show on 4/20, the day after the old ska band I was in will be playing a reunion gig. So much fun.

dragoonz
Mar 1, 2006
into unborn photographs
Does anyone seem to notice that Reel Big Fish just don't seem that into it anymore? I saw them twice here in Australia(brisbane) and they just seemed like they wanted to get it over with. Or at least, Aaron and Scott seemed to. Granted they were co-headlining with Less than jake the second, so they had to get off so LTJ could play.

They just went "Ok this is ..." played it and repeated until they finished. REally disappointing.

Anyways, here's some recommendations. hope you like myspace!:
Dr Octopus
The Display Team The Toilet in particular, formerly Mumrah!
Something To Do
Bagster

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

dragoonz posted:

Does anyone seem to notice that Reel Big Fish just don't seem that into it anymore? I saw them twice here in Australia(brisbane) and they just seemed like they wanted to get it over with. Or at least, Aaron and Scott seemed to. Granted they were co-headlining with Less than jake the second, so they had to get off so LTJ could play.

They just went "Ok this is ..." played it and repeated until they finished. REally disappointing.

I noticed that as well the last few times I've seen them. I also noticed that their live shows are almost exactly like their live cd. Almost word for word. Songs seem to be in the same order too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dragoonz posted:

RBF's had that sort of attitude for a while. Every time they put out a new album they say poo poo like "Our last album was ruined by THE MAN and it was awful and we hate it, this new album though, it's really the bee's knees, please buy it" until the next album comes out and guess what? That album was also awful apparently, but not THIS one! I can't imagine they have a whole lot of music left in them if this continues. Or maybe they're just unhappy artists by nature, they gave up on Forces of Evil pretty quickly, and WNHTYNH was all songs about how they hate music and being them.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 14, 2008

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I saw them over the summer with LTJ and they just about stole the show. I had heard they drag rear end live but I was most pleasantly surprised.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I have never seen a bad LTJ show.

Although I live in Florida.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Well after all that Big D hate, I figure I might as well inform :siren:NJ GOONS:siren: about this upcoming free show (with my band, so free plug!):

Class One Concerts presents...
"Ska's Not Dead and a Half"

March 30 - Doors at 6PM - Free Show
18+ w/ID

Montclair State University
Student Center Ballroom
1 Normal Ave,
Montclair, NJ 07043

Catch 22
Big D and the Kids Table
Legitimate Business

For more info, check out http://www.myspace.com/classoneconcerts

I hope some of you can make it. I'd get there early because once it fills up, that's it. As free shows at schools tend to do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Got my tickets for Streetlight at the Recher in Towson on 4/21. Anyone else going to that show?

The Banana Pee
Feb 16, 2007

Bana - not long enough. Bananana - dammit!

Quest For Glory II posted:

RBF's had that sort of attitude for a while. Every time they put out a new album they say poo poo like "Our last album was ruined by THE MAN and it was awful and we hate it, this new album though, it's really the bee's knees, please buy it" until the next album comes out and guess what? That album was also awful apparently, but not THIS one! I can't imagine they have a whole lot of music left in them if this continues. Or maybe they're just unhappy artists by nature, they gave up on Forces of Evil pretty quickly, and WNHTYNH was all songs about how they hate music and being them.

Despite having such a "happy" sound RBF and especially Aaron have been very depressed and tormented people. Listen to any one of their CDs with the exception of Cheer Up! (which I think is their best, because it isn't whiny) and you'll hear the rantings of some really troubled people.

I'd suggest you read up on the history of the band. I don't know where to find them, but there are a few sites out there with the whole story. Tl;dr: Aaron took the lead of RBF as a way to woo a girl who was fronting another band in their local scene, even though she already had a girlfriend. She ended up hurting him badly, right as the band was taking off, and it was too much for him, especially after the ska craze slipped away from the mainstream. Nearly all of their demo songs and most of Turn The Radio Off were about this. Despite their lack of mainstream notoriety they would be a good candidate for Behind the Music.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

The Banana Pee posted:

Tl;dr: Aaron took the lead of RBF as a way to woo a girl who was fronting another band in their local scene, even though she already had a girlfriend. She ended up hurting him badly, right as the band was taking off, and it was too much for him, especially after the ska craze slipped away from the mainstream. Nearly all of their demo songs and most of Turn The Radio Off were about this. Despite their lack of mainstream notoriety they would be a good candidate for Behind the Music.

Turn The Radio Off is the only album of theirs that I really know and I could actually hear the lyrics to the songs in my head as I was reading that little story. Creepy!

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I'm sorry, but that's why I like RBF. It's like :gbsmith:

Speaking of RBF, doesn't Valerie sound exactly like Here In Your Bedroom by Goldfinger during the first verses? Every time it comes on all I can hear is Goldfinger until the chorus.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 17, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not a fan of Valerie but I love every other song on that album. Cheer Up is fantastic no matter how much RBF's members try to trash it to preserve their 'indie' cred.

The Banana Pee
Feb 16, 2007

Bana - not long enough. Bananana - dammit!

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm sorry, but that's why I like RBF. It's like :gbsmith:

Speaking of RBF, doesn't Valerie sound exactly like Here In Your Bedroom by Goldfinger during the first verses? Every time it comes on all I can hear is Goldfinger until the chorus.

I never made the connection there, but Bowling for Soup's Next Ex-Girlfriend is VERY similar to Valerie. They are friends with Reel Big Fish, so they had to have heard that song and subconsciously re-wrote it. Or they were just bastards and stole it. Either way they're both good songs, as well as Here In Your Bedroom.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Ska brothers, and sisters. Anyone know if the Upcoming streetlight show in boston is sold out, I saw a post up there saying they did sell out but they set up another show? Lemme know please? I gotta hear their new album in the flesh.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

RyanManRules posted:

Ska brothers, and sisters. Anyone know if the Upcoming streetlight show in boston is sold out, I saw a post up there saying they did sell out but they set up another show? Lemme know please? I gotta hear their new album in the flesh.

The first night 100% sold out. I have no idea if the second night has. According to ticketmaster.com, there are still tickets available for the second night.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not a fan of Valerie but I love every other song on that album. Cheer Up is fantastic no matter how much RBF's members try to trash it to preserve their 'indie' cred.
I love "Valerie" because I enjoy mean songs :shobon:

I like "Katie" off the Bosstones' new album for the same reason.

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008

guppy posted:

I love "Valerie" because I enjoy mean songs :shobon:

I like "Katie" off the Bosstones' new album for the same reason.

I didn't realize the Bosstones had recorded another album since Jackknife to a Swan.

Oh wait, checking my facts. They haven't yet. There's just a compilation album. Looks like "Katie" was from the Jackknife recording sessions, but didn't make it onto the CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I just ordered the Reel Big Fish vinyl set! Which includes the 1997 split with Goldfinger's "Teen Beef" with the original version of RBF's Take On Me and the 1998 split with Cherry Poppin' Daddies "Vacationing In Palm Springs" with "Nothin' Like A Dame" by Reel Big Fish. Also it comes with a brand new limited edition double picture disk of "Monkeys for Nothin' and the Chimps for Free" with 2 bonus tracks not on the CD!