Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

TyroneShoes posted:

Nice speakers. I see the vifa xt tweets (one of my personal favs) but what mids are those? Vifa Premium? Link to speakers?

Edit: I see you posted a link later. Good taste you have and HSU makes a great sub.

Atohm 5.25"

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

detloc
Oct 13, 2003

Poofter? In the footy stands, [b]maybe[/b], but in the office? I think not!
Main view of setup

42" 1080i Panasonic Viera
Wii, 360
Sony STR-KS1100 5.1 Surround
Dome cabinet

I like having a simple set-up, with the built-in sound on the TV I don't bother with the amp when I'm watching normal television - only one remote control required. Optical out is a must for the 360 because I use it to watch DVDs as well. Took me ages to find a cabinet that actually had a decent solution for DVD storage. Built-in high-def tuner means another box I don't need. My PC connects directly into the TV, and with the multitude of inputs on the amp I don't need to upgrade anything until I feel the need to go for 1080p system (I have no desire to bother with this). I've been thinking about building a Hypex amp kit and getting some studio monitors for listening to music though.

The drawers hold 25 DVDs per row for a total of 100. No mess, nice and tidy. VERY HAPPY with how everything is set up now.

Here's to 1 year interest free terms!

detloc fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 17, 2008

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Can anybody suggest a soundproofing system for a small apt.??
I live in a tiny shoebox apt. and bought a pioneer 600watt 5.1 system. Thread here.
Unfortunately it is far too loud for my tiny apt and I need a way to soundproof it somewhat. Foam baffling? Dynamat? Has anyone tried to soundproof their apt before?
What is an affordable way to do it?

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

sigma 6 posted:

I live in a tiny shoebox apt. and bought a pioneer 600watt 5.1 system. Thread here.
Unfortunately it is far too loud for my tiny apt and I need a way to soundproof it somewhat. Foam baffling? Dynamat? Has anyone tried to soundproof their apt before?

It's difficult, typically beyond any reasonable budget or what is allowed for a tenant to do. Once I downloaded a huge book on soundproofing and got all excited, flipped a few pages into it and saw a diagram of a suspended floor made of poured concrete resting on rubber bushings.

Buy a house.

I know they have completely enclosed things like this with a floor and a ceiling, but who would want to live in an ugly little room inside of a less ugly and less tiny room.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MaxWall831/

3363 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 17, 2008

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Jeebus - 800$?!?!? For what looks like a foldout wall you change clothes behind?

I was thinking some foam for my ceiling like this.
As well as something for my door like this.

I can't afford a house. I can barely afford rent and college loans.
What I have is a small apt., a ceiling mounted projector, and a very "boomy" pioneer 600watt 5.1 surround gaming system mounted in the corners of the room.

My neighbor gets REALLY pissy when I play movies past 10pm but of course that is when they get played the most. He has already called my landlord once about it, so I would rather that not happen again.

Got KarmA?
Sep 11, 2001

Life is a game. Have fun losing!
I'd like to peg onto his question with one for him and one for audio people:

sigma 6: do you just enjoy playing things loudly, or do you find you need it at that volume to clearly hear what's going on?

audio people: I have this same kinda problem, where I feel I need to play things loudly to accurately hear voices and other sounds in movies. Is this a product of a cheap system, and can it be alleviated with quality speakers, or is this just a problem I would have even with great floorstanding speakers? Thankfully my neighbors don't complain, but I worry about waking my baby up when I have to turn the volume up to hear details, and then loud sections of the show or movie happen too loudly.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

3363 is right, good soundproofing is hard and expensive and is best implemented durring construction.

Instead just turn down the volume on your subwoofer (asuming it has that option)

I doubt those foam mats will prevent the low frequency sounds from passing trough the walls, and shouldnt a material like this have some specifications on what ranges it blocks and how much?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

I would say your best bet is to disconnect your sub and get a buttshaker setup. They are a bit pricey but one setup should work fine for after-hours viewing. My guess is that your neighbor is only hearing/feeling the bass so that would solve your issue.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Kullrock posted:

3363 is right, good soundproofing is hard and expensive and is best implemented durring construction.

Instead just turn down the volume on your subwoofer (asuming it has that option)

I doubt those foam mats will prevent the low frequency sounds from passing trough the walls, and shouldnt a material like this have some specifications on what ranges it blocks and how much?

Yeah, that foam will, at best, block higher frequencies and prevent reflections. Both of these are not really relevant for blocking noise leakage. It might improve the sound in your room a bit, though. The door rubbers will help, though, because doors and windows are notorious noise leakers.

Got KarmA? posted:

audio people: I have this same kinda problem, where I feel I need to play things loudly to accurately hear voices and other sounds in movies. Is this a product of a cheap system, and can it be alleviated with quality speakers, or is this just a problem I would have even with great floorstanding speakers? Thankfully my neighbors don't complain, but I worry about waking my baby up when I have to turn the volume up to hear details, and then loud sections of the show or movie happen too loudly.

Buy a good set of headphones.

Apart from that, if you've got a 5.1 set, you should check your levels. If the center speakers is quieter than the rest, noise and music will often drown out voices a bit. If you've got stereo speakers, check that you're listening to the stereo downmix, or that your receiver is downmixing the signal. Both of these could be the case if you need to turn things up to hear conversation, and then get deafened by explosions etc. If everything sounds like crap at lower volumes (including music and other sounds), your speakers/amp suck.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Got KarmA?:
I don't necessarily enjoy overly loud movies etc. I have the same problem you have. I have very BOOMY BASSY GAME speakers but I use the speakers for movies. In movies you have dramatic scenes with whispering or low volume dalogue followed by LOUD gunfire or crashing etc etc.
It is impossible to both hear the dialogue and not wake up my neighbors when the inevitable loudness happens right afterwards. I try and turn down my volume quickly but I am usually not fast enough to prevent waking up my upstairs neighbor.

Kullrock:
My plan is to use the foam on the ceilings, since that is where the sattelites are mounted. Not sure how much thickness I should go with or how much I should spend.
Also - the subwoofer is already turned all the way down!!! . . . and it is still super bassy!!!!! (600watt pioneer gaming system - and I should be surprised?)

Scrapez:
My reciever is built into my subwoofer.
What is a buttshaker?
I am a very poor teacher . . .this is why I have cheap speakers . . . which are apparently far too loud.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2697447#post336458522

pim01:
I am beginning to think my cheap 5.1 setup really sucks. It is meant for xbox games, not a projector / HTPC setup. Even with the bass all the way down, it is still often hard to hear the dialogue in movies clearly. Crappy midrange I am willing to bet.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 17, 2008

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

pim01:
I am beginning to think my cheap 5.1 setup really sucks. It is meant for xbox games, not a projector / HTPC setup. Even with the bass all the way down, it is still often hard to hear the dialogue in movies clearly. Crappy midrange I am willing to bet.

Could well be, I'd see them saving money there with a 'gaming' system. With those tiny sattelites you've basically got a lot of tweeters and one big woofer. If your sub is on the floor you could try decoupling it by placing it on a few layers of that foam (or some other foam). That would save on the biggest source of contact noise. You should also try to have it a foot or so removed from all walls. If one of the ports is blasting directly at a wall your throwing a lot of energy into that wall (and annoying the neighbours).

edit: and get headphones! The Sennheiser HD201 is a fantastic li'l TV-watching headphone, for only $15.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
We had an upstairs neighbor that could hear us thinking about watching a movie. The slightest hint of bass and there was a knock at the door.

We put the subwoofer on a couple of 12 inch by 12 inch by 1 inch thick patio blocks from Home Depot (they were like a dollar each) also the sub was moved 4 feet from any wall.

We didn't go all out bumping bass but we did watch some movies and play some games at regular, fairly loud volumes, bass and all, and he never came down again. I saw him at a grocery store a few months after the changes and he said whatever we did worked great, he couldn't hear a peep.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Awesome. I will elevate the subwoofer then and move it from the wall. The sattelites I am not sure what to do about but putting foam baffling on the ceiling seems expensive, time consuming and only relatively effective.

Oh and I have an old pair of the HD201. Worked GREAT until I dropped them off my desk one too many times. I should pick up another pair for that price!

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I use an Auralex SubDude under my SVS 20-39pci and haven't heard anything from any of my neighbors despite some loud music, movies, and a habit of playing CoD4 at 3am. Of course i live in an apt. building full of college students, so i have no idea if they'd complain either way. The thing about using tiles or paving stones is that they're so dense they don't really do anything to stop the vibrations from passing right through them and into the floor. Ideally you want atleast some form of vibration dampening.

SubDude: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is what I was thinking for my ceiling.
http://truesoundcontrol.com/products/WEDG24.html?shopping
much cheaper on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Proofing-Wedge-Foam-12-Pcs_W0QQitemZ160219722608QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Can anybody tell me if it is worth the trouble?
At least it is cheap and it looks like the same baffling I see in studios.

Subdude looks cool but I wonder if I could create a similar thing cheaper at home depot.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 17, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ I don't think foam is typically used to stop bass, just to stop high freq waves from bouncing around the room. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

.Nathan. posted:

The thing about using tiles or paving stones is that they're so dense they don't really do anything to stop the vibrations from passing right through them and into the floor. Ideally you want atleast some form of vibration dampening.

That does make sense actually, not sure why it seemed to work so well in my case. What about placing some rubber donuts between the two patio blocks? They sell a pretty large assortment of rubber feet for table legs etc at the Depot.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

detloc posted:

Main view of setup

Is that a Rancor attacking Pikachu?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

EpicNemesis posted:

Is that a Rancor attacking Pikachu?

It's from the TV show Drawn Together.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Owsla posted:

^ I don't think foam is typically used to stop bass, just to stop high freq waves from bouncing around the room. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

You're totally right. It's a bit of extra mass, so it should dampen the higher frequencies a bit, but it really won't do much actual attenuation.

Owsla posted:

That does make sense actually, not sure why it seemed to work so well in my case. What about placing some rubber donuts between the two patio blocks? They sell a pretty large assortment of rubber feet for table legs etc at the Depot.

You could probably use flexible rubber feet as decouplers. Stiffer rubber won't absorb as much vibration energy and just conduct it to the floor. I use flexible rubber feet under my SACD player to minimize vibration (the thing tended to hum a bit with unbalanced CDs). Works perfectly fine.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sounds like I need thick rubber stoppers / feet for my sub if I don't want to fork out for the "subdude".
It also sounds like covering my ceiling with foam won't be worth the time or money.

VVV Thanks for all the input!! I will see what home depot has in the way of rubber / foam pads. I would think 3-6 inches of rubber or thick foam should do it. Nothing too hard to conduct vibrations though.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 17, 2008

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

Sounds like I need thick rubber stoppers / feet for my sub if I don't want to fork out for the "subdude".

Please keep in mind that they need to dampen the vibrations, so the harder type of rubber feet won't be as effective.

sigma 6 posted:

It also sounds like covering my ceiling with foam won't be worth the time or money.

Yeah, pretty much.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~

Pibborando San posted:

My new sub came yesterday afternoon. It's a Hsu VTF-2 Mk3. I would say this is the first REAL sub I've owned (ie capable out serious output below 20Hz) and it's AMAZING. Very tight, not boomy, and will nearly cave in my room when watching big bass heavy movies. I love it.

You should have melee leaned there... gently caress brawl.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I gotta question, my tv, 50" plasma, currenty sits against a plain white wall. Are there any better colors to paint that back wall than just plain white?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Dark, neutral tones are best. Ideally you want it dark with a matte finish to minimize reflected light. Flat black or dark gray would be perfect, although thats probably not going to make the room itself look good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

mattfl posted:

I gotta question, my tv, 50" plasma, currenty sits against a plain white wall. Are there any better colors to paint that back wall than just plain white?

Don't paint your room based on your tv.

(Personally I like dark red for living rooms).

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
*edit* Oops, wrong thread. Sorry.

Bender fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 18, 2008

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Dave posted:

Don't paint your room based on your tv.

(Personally I like dark red for living rooms).

Dark red is one of the colors I was thinking about. The reason I'm painting around the TV, is the room the TV is in is strictly for movie watching and video game playing, it's my home theater/game room if you will.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

mattfl posted:

Dark red is one of the colors I was thinking about. The reason I'm painting around the TV, is the room the TV is in is strictly for movie watching and video game playing, it's my home theater/game room if you will.

Still I don't think the color of your walls are going to affect anything unless you are going with hot pink. Paint the walls the color you want the room to work, then worry about lighting and how it interacts with the tv and wall paint. You can use dim or bright bulbs, you can't change the saturation of your wall paint.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has anyone tried putting LED strips or cold cathode tubes behind their flat screens in a king of poor version of the Philips Ambilght? I've seen then in other places, with the diffuse lighting from behind said to ease eye strain and improve perceived contrast on the display.

Any thoughts?

Got KarmA?
Sep 11, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

Has anyone tried putting LED strips or cold cathode tubes behind their flat screens in a king of poor version of the Philips Ambilght? I've seen then in other places, with the diffuse lighting from behind said to ease eye strain and improve perceived contrast on the display.

Any thoughts?

I'm rather interested too ...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

I do this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bias-lighting-on-the-cheap/

For both my computer monitor and tv. Seems to work well.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

I have some rope lighting from Home Depot that i've had behind all of my TVs for the last 2 years or so. I love the way it looks in low lighting, subtle and classy. It's also nice for, as you said, improving the perceived contrast ratio and black levels. I don't think i'd be happy with a fluorescent light, though. The rope lighting gives off a really nice, slightly warm glow. I think a fluorescent bulb would look too sterile and bright, atleast in my set-up. Of course it would probably be closer to the 6500k standard that the bias-lighting nerds on AVS so desire, but it's not for me.

Kullrock
Mar 21, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

Here is a DIY projector screen (bottom page picture). While I personally think its snake oil, I still want one.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Kullrock posted:

Here is a DIY projector screen (bottom page picture). While I personally think its snake oil, I still want one.

That site is so depressing. Mainly because i'm a college student in an apartment and can't cover my walls in awesome wallpaper like they all seem to do - they loving love the stuff don't they. I think this one's my favorite: http://www.minhembio.com/miper/87722 . Best utilization of a small space ever i think.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.

Pissflaps posted:

Any thoughts?

I bought one from cinemaquestinc.com that had the "proper" 6500k rating and was supposedly designed for HDTV use.

For the first 15 minutes or so I had it set up, I kept thinking what a worthless purchase it was, but as the movie went on and there was more switching between dark and light scenes, I really started to see the point of it. I don't so much notice the improved "perceived" contrast ratio that some people mention - but I can assure you it helps with eye strain. There is more of an improved.... sensation, I suppose, than an actual visually discernible difference.

Your eyes don't constantly have to adjust to different lighting as you now have a constant minimum. It adds the light in a way that is unobtrusive compared to just having a lamp on during the movie or something. I always turn it on if I'm going to be watching a movie now - I suppose I could just be trying to subconsciously justify my purchase though.

I recommend giving it a shot. The rope lights from Home Depot, while not AV psychopath friendly, will probably do an OK job and get you mostly the same performance and for about half the price - but I do think the CinemaQuest Inc. package is good and does come with a spare bulb as well.

I'll try and remember to post some shots of my setup with it on and off, as I've been meaning to actually participate in this thread for a while now.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

.Nathan. posted:

That site is so depressing. Mainly because i'm a college student in an apartment and can't cover my walls in awesome wallpaper like they all seem to do - they loving love the stuff don't they. I think this one's my favorite: http://www.minhembio.com/miper/87722 . Best utilization of a small space ever i think.

Holy gently caress that is amazing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Thanks for the input guys.

Agedashi Tofu posted:

I'll try and remember to post some shots of my setup with it on and off, as I've been meaning to actually participate in this thread for a while now.

That would be cool.

I'm thinking of getting a set of LED striplights from Ikea called 'Dioder'. They all link together and can be easily mounted as a square behind a TV.

Also, check this out, saw this on another forum and I'm as jealous as can be.

:siren: NOT MY SET UP OR FLAT :siren:

First of all his view:

His during

And his after (haven't yet seen it with furniture in)

:siren: NOT MY SET UP OR FLAT :siren:

Got KarmA?
Sep 11, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

Holy gently caress.

I love my poang chair and I guess even people with a shitton of money do too! :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pissflaps I have I got the Dioder from Ikea for my computer monitor. Honestly just do that Instructables thing, it will save you $30 or 15 pounds or whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

First of all his view:

Wow. What an amazing space. Floor to ceiling windows on 2 walls is loving awesome, even without looking over a bay/harbour/whatever that is. I shudder to think what a place like that is worth.

However, I can't help but think he's going to have to invest in some seriously overachieving blinds/curtains if he ever wants to watch tv during the day, to deal with the ridiculous glare that much window is going to create.

Also, good job on mounting the tv at a proper height, not way up by the ceiling where most people seem to think their flatpanels should go. If there's one trend that I've seen lately that always pisses me off, it's the whole "tv over the fireplace" thing. I don't understand why people want their tv to be eyelevel when standing.