Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cryme posted:

AEnima, i guess.

What he said. It's both their best album and the best intro to their different styles of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

All I've ever heard in my life is how lame disco is.
I want to know.

If anyone can point me in the direction of disco groups, new or old, that'd be awesome.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Gilbert and Sullivan. I already have recordings of H.M.S Pinafore and Pirates of Penzance, but I'm looking to branch out a bit more.

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE
Where do I start with Nine Inch Nails?

Ryan I know you know.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.
The downward spiral is a safe bet. Then work your way in any direction.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cryme posted:

AEnima, i guess.

Seconded. It's not like any one album is more challenging than the other. Not to start some huge debate over the merits of Tool but anything after Undertow is going to give you the same vibe. AEnima is arguably their most successful, but even Lateralus got a lot of exposure. That album is probably the most "positive" if you're into the quasi hippy vibe that Alex Grey likes to pimp in his art work. If you want to see them at their most METAL, pick up the Opiate EP. Likewise, if you want the album with the two 120 Minutes staples go get Undertow (bonus points for the random Henry Rollins guest spot).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ThunderTung posted:

Where do I start with Nine Inch Nails?

Ryan I know you know.

Oh now we're just being silly.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I'm looking to get into Pink Floyd simply because they're probably one of the most name-dropped bands in history so I figured I should give them a try at least. The Wall is already a given (doi) although I don't know if that's the right album to start with. What should I expect from these guys, BTW?

edit - and Rush too.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, for any of you metalheads out there, I've had the desire to pick up some Zao, but wasn't sure what to get. I was thinking of getting The Funeral of God, just because it's the one I've heard the most of and I loved everything I've heard, but I'd like to know what some of their best earlier stuff is.

The Funeral of God is my favorite of theirs, followed by 2002's Parade of Chaos.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 16, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Disharmony posted:

I'm looking to get into Pink Floyd simply because they're probably one of the most name-dropped bands in history so I figured I should give them a try at least. The Wall is already a given (doi) although I don't know if that's the right album to start with. What should I expect from these guys, BTW?

I don't know much about their early albums, but my personal favorite Pink Floyd album is Animals. However, if you're just starting, you have to listen to the obligatory Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here has a good mix of somewhat different musical styles.

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE

Uncle Meat posted:

The downward spiral is a safe bet. Then work your way in any direction.

I tried this and it just didn't work for me. Is it a safe bet that this just isn't the band for me?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

ThunderTung posted:

I tried this and it just didn't work for me. Is it a safe bet that this just isn't the band for me?
Yes. I've yet to hear of a NIN fan that doesn't like The Downward Spiral. I prefer "The Fragile" myself (listen to the tracks 'We're in this Together' and 'Just Like You Imagined'), and you could give "Year Zero" a spin if you're more electronically-oriented, but if you don't like TDS I doubt you're gonna end up into NIN.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I would agree with Ænema. It's got enough hooks to remind you of their earlier stuff, but it paved the way for their unorthodox and epic sound in following albums.

Also, it has Third Eye on it.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't know much about their early albums, but my personal favorite Pink Floyd album is Animals. However, if you're just starting, you have to listen to the obligatory Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here has a good mix of somewhat different musical styles.

This. Also, check out Piper at the Gates of dawn and A Saucerful of secrets, which is the most accessible of their early work. Also, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother is both wonderful albums although contains quite a bit of contemporary music and might not be as accessible.

Eventually, you should try to listen to everything up to, and (partially) including The Final Cut. One of their albums is bound to hit you. Hard.

Cowculator
Jul 19, 2006

Disharmony posted:

edit - and Rush too.

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are the two obvious starting points -- they're the most accessible and they have most of the songs people are familiar with (The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, etc.). From there, I'd go back in reverse chronological order through Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, and 2112. If you'd like something less progressive but still great you can pick up Signals at any point along the way, since it doesn't really sound much like their earlier albums (unless maybe you count "Vital Signs" on Moving Pictures). I don't find the rest of their catalog to be nearly as exciting, and judging by the set list on their 2007 tour neither do they.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
How about Smashing Pumpkins?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

buggmoo posted:

How about Smashing Pumpkins?
That's pretty easy: start with "Siamese Dreams," move onto "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," move backwards to "Gish," and avoid everything else like the plague.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

That's pretty easy: start with "Siamese Dreams," move onto "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," move backwards to "Gish," and avoid everything else like the plague.

You can still include the lull e.p. and Pisces Iscaariot. Also, Machina II wasn't that bad.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I quite liked Adore as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Oh definitely, but it's not an album that I'd recommend to the casual listener wanting to get a snapshot of the sound that defined the band.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

hatelull posted:

You can still include the lull e.p. and Pisces Iscaariot. Also, Machina II wasn't that bad.
I spose. Just keep away from Zeitgeist and Billy's solo album and it's all good.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

hatelull posted:

Oh definitely, but it's not an album that I'd recommend to the casual listener wanting to get a snapshot of the sound that defined the band.

I agree. I just didn't want it to be written off entirely. :)

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

moosey posted:

Dinosaur Jr., .....feel free to help me out with any of those too. Hope some other people benefit from these!

Get You're Living All Over Me and Bug. They're the only 2 Dinosaur Jr. albums that are worth a drat, and they're both extremely good.

Captain Slaveman
Nov 25, 2007

I want to get into prog rock, but I have very little idea what prog is exactly, let alone where to start. I know someone here can help me.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I'm mostly a fan of the good ol' prog rock, rather than the likes of Dream Theater and Symphony X (although, you cannot really call these prog rock).

For info on the genre, read on wikipedia.

A few albums I'd try out is:
King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King
Genesis - Nursery Cryme (or Foxtrot]
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Yes - Close to the edge

Also, check out Prog Archives, where you can find info and songs for streaming from a large numbers of bands and subgenres within the prog genre.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Where should I start with Dire Straits?

Further to Rubber Biscuit's recommendations, let me add in a few tracks from their 1978 self titled album.

If you enjoy some of the more laid back songs from Brothers in Arms (such as Why Worry and So Far Away), then you'll really love the tracks Six Blade Knife and Water of Love. Awesome driving music, and they have a very "grass-roots" sort of feel.

Besides which, where to else start at but the start? :)

Also, don't forget the eponymous 1988 compilation Money for Nothing. If you skip the tracks that have been radio played to death (almost all of them), buried on here is an awesome live version of Portobello Belle, that is far better than the previous album version and was previously unreleased.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Pivotal Lever posted:

Get You're Living All Over Me and Bug. They're the only 2 Dinosaur Jr. albums that are worth a drat, and they're both extremely good.

Wrong. Their latest, Beyond, is also solid.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

cryme posted:

I actually think Green Mind is one of their best. I guess I'm in the minority. The only album I dislike is Where You Been, but I have only heard "Feel The Pain" off of Without a Sound.

Captain Slaveman
Nov 25, 2007

Uncle Meat posted:

I'm mostly a fan of the good ol' prog rock, rather than the likes of Dream Theater and Symphony X (although, you cannot really call these prog rock).

For info on the genre, read on wikipedia.

A few albums I'd try out is:
King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King
Genesis - Nursery Cryme (or Foxtrot]
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Yes - Close to the edge

Also, check out Prog Archives, where you can find info and songs for streaming from a large numbers of bands and subgenres within the prog genre.

Thanks. I'm the exact same way. I liked Dream Theater a little bit, but after listening to In the Court of the Crimson King, I just couldn't listen to them.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

cryme posted:

Ah, I haven't heard that, but I know it's Murph, Lou and J all together, so it's probably good. I should really check that out.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I heard Sweet Honey Pie by Roky Erickson, and I am in love. What next?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

trans fat posted:

I want to know.

If anyone can point me in the direction of disco groups, new or old, that'd be awesome.

Chic , in my opinion, is by far the best disco group that ever was. You probably want to get C'est Chic and Risque' if you're interested. There's some great tunes on those albums, and "Good Times" still has one of the best bass lines of all time.

New Division fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 19, 2008

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

^^^ I'm quite partial to Black Devil Disco Club myself

You can read the interesting story about them, here: http://www.emusic.com/features/spotlight/281_200702.html

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, for any of you metalheads out there, I've had the desire to pick up some Zao, but wasn't sure what to get. I was thinking of getting The Funeral of God, just because it's the one I've heard the most of and I loved everything I've heard, but I'd like to know what some of their best earlier stuff is. Also, is the new album any good? I'm tempted to get it just because Steve Albini recorded it.

Liberete Te Ex Inferis is what got me into them, haven't heard their new one though.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Dorepoll posted:

I heard Sweet Honey Pie by Roky Erickson, and I am in love. What next?

Don't Slander Me and Gremlins Have Pictures; amazing albums, and cover much more ground than stuff like The Evil One. Go onto "All That May Do My Rhyme" next, as it is just as wonderful, then move onto something harder like Never Say Goodbye if you're still in. Might want to pick up Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators, also.

Biscuit! posted:

Sun City Girls
Seriously, where do I start.

Torch of The Mystics --> 330,003 Crossdressers --> Horse Cock Phepner --> Some solo stuff(Superstars of Greenwich Mean Time or one of Richard Bishop's great albums) --> Stuff like Dante's Disneyland Inferno and all the harder records. That's a pretty easy progression and not just a top 10 list or anything.

Where do I start with Ash Ra Tempel, Acid Mothers Temple(have the one with the green cover and the naked lady) and Julian Cope? also where do I go with Royal Trux after Accelerator?

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 20, 2008

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Where do I start with the Polyphonic Spree? My friend showed me this and it is pretty amazing.

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

Spoon?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can someone help me out with The Velvet Underground? I'm already somewhat familiar with them and have two of their albums (& Nico and Self-titled) but I'm confused about how a lot of their stuff was released.

For example, I really like the song Stephanie Says but I can't find it on any albums. (According to Wikipedia it was only released on some outtakes album in the 80s-- is that true? I always thought it was a single.) Are there are any compilation albums or something that would tie up the loose ends for me? Is the outtakes album worth getting is or the song available somewhere better?

Jinnigan posted:

Where do I start with the Polyphonic Spree? My friend showed me this and it is pretty amazing.

I'd recommend Together We're Heavy. It's fun, upbeat, accessible, and packed to the gills with creepy happy-clappy cult-fun that makes The Polyphonic Spree what it is.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2008

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

ThunderTung posted:

Spoon?

Start with Kill the Moonlight, then listen to Gimme Fiction, then listen to their most recent, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but that's how I listened to them.

Tokyo Drifter
Dec 6, 2005

trans fat posted:

I want to know.

Start off by getting some classic disco DJ compilations/mixtapes (disco music is intended to be heard in the context of a discotheque). Disco as a genre is really much more complex than popular culture would have you believe. All this being said, I think looking into disco bands is going to give you the wrong idea. The entire genre (as it is with most dance music) was a singles driven deal...don't get me wrong though, Chic is an excellent band but more people know them for the single "Good Times" than they do for "C'est Chic" the album.

Since disco was about singles more than albums, and dance floors more than headphones...disco was also less about bands and more about DJs. The 1970's was an era when bands didn't "make" singles (as in promote them), disc jockeys did. It's an era when b-sides and obscurities got radio play and became disassociated with the musicians and associated with the DJs. This is why "Soul Makossa" is a loft record, "Heartbeat" is a garage record, and "I will survive" is a studio record. Study the DJs then and the appealing side of disco becomes apparent. The DJs, clubs, and singles were where it was happening not the individual artists (or the disco clones, or the ethyl mermans or the john travoltas)

I recommend these comps with preference in the order that they appear:

Soul Jazz Records Presents: Nicky Siano's "The Gallery": The Original New York Disco 1973-1977
Soul Jazz Records Presents: A Tom Moulton Mix
The Loft by David Mancuso
Journey into Paradise: The Larry Levan Story
Story of P&P: Sound of Harlem
Baia Degli Angeli 1977-1978 (Part 1 & Part 2) By Daniele Baldelli (Baia Degli Angeli was Italy's Studio 54)

Those are comps you can buy, there are also all sorts of vintage mixes you can find on the internet. Two great repositories of classic DJ mixes are deep house page (which has a full 10 hour broadcast of David Mancuso live at a loft party in Tokyo as well as hours upon hours of classic WBMX chicago radio broadcasts) and VJS productions which has some absolutely crucial mixes from some of Manhattans most famous DJS (stuff I haven't found anywhere else).

On the VJS site i'd recommend listening to anything by Tom Savarese, Tom Moulton, Roy Thode, Bobby Viteritti, Frankie Knuckles, or Danny Krivit. For an overarching history of disco I'd recommend listening to the 5 part interview with Tom Moulton...who wasn't actually a working DJ but instead the most prolific/important producer of the era. He gets lumped in with the DJs because he got his gig as a producer by making reel to reel mixtapes of non-stop music for clubs to play.

The history to the music is about as interesting as the music itself and by understanding the historical context you can get a greater appreciation for what disco was, where it came from, what it meant, and why it is still relevant and alive today.

--About the dancefloors and not headphones thing though, this music really is good to listen to even when you are not dancing! David Mancuso in particular as his song choices are so erratic, one minute he could be playing the 1812 overture and then all of a sudden drop some crazy world beat record with synthesizers. There is an entire culture/style of eclectic disco that has arisen from this aesthetic...music more for headphones than for dancing, it's epitomized by DJ Harvey (this is an oversimplification of DJ harvey though) and his "Harvey Sarcastic Disco" mixes...there's also a huge scene in NY that is all about this, lovefingers, has a ton of mixes and songs. Some people call it "beardo disco" or "space disco" but I like to call it "stoner disco"...

--For instant gratification just click here. Great video that captures Larry Levan killing it at the Paradise Garage (song is Sylvester's "Over and Over")

--And here for a great and quick summary of Disco in Manhattan with some shots of the Gallery and the loft in action..

Tokyo Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ThunderTung posted:

Spoon?

All of their stuff is great but I really like their first few albums the best, especially A Series of Sneaks and Girls Can Tell.