Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Og Oggilby posted:

That is one trippy cover. But since when does Criterion put critic quotes on the covers?

I can't wait to check this and Patriotism out though, Mishima is an interesting guy (and kind of a nutcase).

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Critic quote? Exclamation mark? Special edition? what the gently caress.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This link has a version without the blurb: http://www.collider.com/dvd/news/article.asp/aid/7310/tcid/3

Please let this not be the final cover.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
So why would this have a blurb and exclamation marks? contractual obligations?

It just seems weird that they'd think "yes, this is the film we'll try to sell more by using critic quotes: MISHIMA".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pedro De Heredia posted:

So why would this have a blurb and exclamation marks? contractual obligations?

It just seems weird that they'd think "yes, this is the film we'll try to sell more by using critic quotes: MISHIMA".

That's not the actual cover. It's the press release. You can see the actual cover (or hopefully, not) at the link I posted.

Radio on the TV
Jul 9, 2001

Who will save our village?
I just picked up a used (rental) copy of The Leopard for 6 bucks. Now I just need to find three hours to dedicate to watching it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Radio on the TV posted:

I just picked up a used (rental) copy of The Leopard for 6 bucks. Now I just need to find three hours to dedicate to watching it.

I love you.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This is indeed the actual Mishima artwork:

Ugh. What is this, Magical Mishima Tour?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
There are few movies on the face of the planet that are psychedelic enough to warrant a cover like that, and I'm pretty sure Mishima isn't one of them.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Someone on criterionforum.org confirmed that Criterion has the rights to The Private Life of Henry VIII, among other Alexander Korda films. I can't find the thread with the blurb, but it was from a Criterion email reply.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That is good news regarding Blu-Ray. Not that I own a Bluray player but I like to hear that they're moving into HD slowly but surely. Also I just wanted to mention that I've owned the Beastie Boys Anthology for a while now but I spent last night going through all the different Audio configurations and playing around with them and jesus that was the most fun I've had with a DVD in a long while.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This is most likely Brand Upon the Brain. I haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it. I have very mixed feelings about Maddin, but he is definitely an interesting filmmaker.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion updated their listing for Mishima:

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the director's cut, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
- Optional English and Japanese voice-over narrations, the former by Roy Scheider, the latter by Ken Ogata

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Og Oggilby posted:

- Optional English and Japanese voice-over narrations, the former by Roy Scheider, the latter by Ken Ogata

gently caress yeah

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Going to Borders' later to buy Scenes from a Marriage. I wish I had the money to justify buying the TV edition of Fanny and Alexander as well. :(

Villainous_Fonda
Nov 26, 2007
That ain't Lake Minnetonka

Criminal Minded posted:

Going to Borders' later to buy Scenes from a Marriage. I wish I had the money to justify buying the TV edition of Fanny and Alexander as well. :(

Save your dollars and cents, it's well worth it. The two hours that are added transform it into what I believe is Bergman's best.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
loving awesome... Mishama - I have been waiting for so long for a decent release. Hope the Scheider voiceover is included.

EDIT : poo poo, I can't read. Scheider voiceover included.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

FitFortDanga posted:

This is most likely Brand Upon the Brain. I haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it. I have very mixed feelings about Maddin, but he is definitely an interesting filmmaker.
Are you sure it's Brand? Wasn't the main novelty of that movie the fact that there was live music and narration wherever the film played? For some reason I thought it was designed to be played solely in theaters.

Anyways, you're probably right, but I know Maddin made another silent film, Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary, though I don't remember any rats in that one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Green Vulture posted:

Are you sure it's Brand? Wasn't the main novelty of that movie the fact that there was live music and narration wherever the film played? For some reason I thought it was designed to be played solely in theaters.

Anyways, you're probably right, but I know Maddin made another silent film, Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary, though I don't remember any rats in that one.

The rat means nothing. I don't think there's ever been a case where the picture in the clue has anything to do with the movie.

I'm not sure it's Brand, no. If it is, though, I'm wondering what they'll do about the narration (they had several different "guest star" narrators on early screenings). It'd be cool to have a few different audio options.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

As Villainous_Fonda said, save for it. It's undeniably worth it. I watched the full television cut first and then the theatric release cut to see how they both felt; I was shocked to find most, if not all, of my absolute favorite scenes and some of the most touching moments were gone. I almost wish I had never watched it, as the television cut is so meaningful to me.

Anyway, I just picked up Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales off amazon when it was on sale the other day with a giftcard and it arrived today. I definitely cant wait to check it out in a few weeks.

Also, semi-related, have any of you seen Last Year at Marienbad? What'd you think? I've been oddly obsessed with it for a few years and now Rialto is touring a new print (which normally leads to a Criterion edition) around. The closest place its playing is four hours away, but I'm definitely going to drive down to check it out. I'm really excited for it, I was just curious what you guys thought about it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zeroordie posted:

Also, semi-related, have any of you seen Last Year at Marienbad? What'd you think? I've been oddly obsessed with it for a few years and now Rialto is touring a new print (which normally leads to a Criterion edition) around. The closest place its playing is four hours away, but I'm definitely going to drive down to check it out. I'm really excited for it, I was just curious what you guys thought about it.

It's one of my favorites. Have you seen any other Resnais?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Eclipse newsletter stuff:

- The Delirious Fictions of William Klein has been moved to April 8 instead of May 20.

- Until midnight on April 7, Criterion's online store will have 30% discount on all Eclipse sets, including the Klein and Silent Ozu sets. Code: NCAA

Just from checking DVD Price Search, the 30% deal will actually make all of the sets the cheapest online. For example, the Lubitsch Musicals set would cost $33 while it's $40 cheapest at DVD Planet (Criterion's online store price is $47). Of course, there's a $5.95 S&H cost for anything under $50.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

Just from checking DVD Price Search, the 30% deal will actually make all of the sets the cheapest online. For example, the Lubitsch Musicals set would cost $33 while it's $40 cheapest at DVD Planet (Criterion's online store price is $47). Of course, there's a $5.95 S&H cost for anything under $50.

Gonna have to argue with your math there, Og. It's just an extra 10% off their usual 20%, basically making it free shipping and handling and that's about it.

You got my hopes up for a second, too. :(

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

I Am Awful posted:

Gonna have to argue with your math there, Og. It's just an extra 10% off their usual 20%, basically making it free shipping and handling and that's about it.

You got my hopes up for a second, too. :(

drat, I read it as being a 30% coupon on top.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Found this exciting little tidbit at criterionforum.org:

quote:

An email from Tamara confirms that yes, Criterion will be releasing Kaurismaki in the future. What and when is unknown.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I don't know which I'd rather have: a couple of full-blown Criterion editions with extras, or an Eclipse set with more titles but no extras (ideally, the complete works AND with extras, but I know that'll never happen). I have yet to see a Kaurismaki film I dislike. I'd even buy the ones that are merely okay to me, just because there's something about Kaurismaki in general I find so appealing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Can't say I've ever heard of the guy, but I trust your judgment to the point that I'll certainly give the guy a look. I'm still waiting on:

A) Satyajit Ray
B) My Dinner with Andre COME ON ALREADY

B has been the #1 movie on my to-see list for like 3 years now or something. It's driving me up the walls.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

Criminal Minded posted:

Can't say I've ever heard of the guy, but I trust your judgment to the point that I'll certainly give the guy a look. I'm still waiting on:

A) Satyajit Ray
Seriously, I can't BELIEVE the Apu Trilogy hasn't been released yet. Those films are among the most beloved and respected in history amongst critics, but they're all long out-of-print in all formats, and have never received the deluxe extras treatment they deserve. They're so out-of-reach I had to wait months with Panther Panchali at the top of my netflix queue before I received it, loved it, and then that was followed up by the other two movies being deleted from their stock. So I now have essentially no way of seeing Aparajito and World of Apu. Is it a rights issue, or is Criterion just not interested for some crazy reason, or what?

Saul
May 9, 2006

fuck your limo
Don't Artificial Eye still produce copies of The Apu Trilogy? It wasn't that long ago that I got my boxset from them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

B) My Dinner with Andre COME ON ALREADY

B has been the #1 movie on my to-see list for like 3 years now or something. It's driving me up the walls.

Huh, I didnt realize the old MDWA disc had gone out of print. At any rate, they show it on cable quite frequently.

As for Satyajit Ray, it is a daily frustration for me. I guess I'm biased, but I think that at the very least, The Apu Trilogy, The Calcutta Trilogy, Mahanagar, Charulata, Devi and Jalsaghar all deserve full-blown Criterion editions. I find it rather irritating that Criterion continues to pimp out scads of American, French, and Japanese films without having released a single one from India.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
July looks like a stellar month!

Mon oncle Antoine, Trafic, Vampyr, and High and Low - all two-disc editions. Vampyr will also have a book with the screenplay and original source story.

Mon oncle Antoine (Claude Jutra)
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Michel Brault
- On-Screen: “Mon oncle Antoine,” a 2007 documentary tracing the making and history of the film
- Claude Jutra, an Unfinished Story, a 2002 documentary that attempts to unravel “the Jutra mystery,” featuring interviews with Brault, Bernardo Bertolucci, actors Geneviève Bujold and Saul Rubinek. and actor-director Paule Baillargeon
- A Chairy Tale, a 1957 experimental short codirected by Jutra and Norman McLaren
- Theatrical trailer
- Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film scholar André Loiselle

SRP: $39.95
Street date: 7/8/08

Trafic (Jacques Tati)

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
-- In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot (1969), a two-hour documentary tracing the evolution of Jacques Tati’s beloved alter ego
-- Interview from 1971 with the cast of Trafic, from the French television program Le journal de cinema
-- “The Comedy of Jacques Tati,” a 1973 episode from the French television program Morceaux de bravoure
-- Theatrical trailer
-- New and improved English subtitle translation
-- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Jonathan Romney

Street date: 7/15/08

Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer)

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the 1998 film restoration by Martin Koerber and the Cineteca di Bologna
-- Optional all-new English-text version of the film
-- Audio commentary featuring film scholar Tony Rayns
-- Carl Th. Dreyer (1966), a documentary by Jörgen Roos chronicling Dreyer’s career
-- Visual essay by scholar Casper Tybjerg on Dreyer’s influences in creating Vampyr
-- A 1958 radio broadcast of Dreyer reading an essay about filmmaking
-- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, Martin Koerber on the restoration, and an archival interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg, as well as a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul’s original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1871 story “Carmilla,” a source for the film: Vampyr

Street date: 7/22/08

High and Low (Akira Kurosawa) - special edition

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with newly restored original
four-track surround sound
-- New audio commentary by Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
-- A 37-minute documentary on the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
-- Rare archival interview with Toshiro Mifune
-- New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapper
-- Theatrical trailers from Japan and the U.S.
-- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a reprinted essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
-- More!

Vampyr is as good as bought on my end. Is Trafic recommended to anyone (like myself) who liked the other three Hulot films?

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 17, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ooh, I hate being beaten on the announcements!

Mon Oncle Antoine, Traffic - Will have to see them before deciding on the purchase. I don't do blind buys that much. I do own Playtime and have considered adding the first two Hulot movies to my collection as well.

Vampyr - Hmm, I'm gonna have to ponder this one. I like the movie, but I didn't love it enough to buy it. On the other hand, part of the reason I didn't love it enough was because the DVD was so, so awful. I mean it was an abomination beyond words. Rent with a possible future buy. Awesome suite of extras.

High and Low - Old disc goes on eBay tomorrow.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

High and Low - Old disc goes on eBay tomorrow.

Yeah. I got this not too long ago, too.

I'm really looking forward to the dvd art. The current one looks kinda cool at a glance or from across the room, but is pretty terrible when you look at closely.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
good cause I didn't want Bottle Rocket anyways :(

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
ahhhh Vampyr, MrBling will be pleased.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cruddy low-res covers for now:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
VAMPYR! gently caress yes!

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Og Oggilby posted:

High and Low (Akira Kurosawa) - special edition

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with newly restored original
four-track surround sound
-- New audio commentary by Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
-- A 37-minute documentary on the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
-- Rare archival interview with Toshiro Mifune
-- New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapper
-- Theatrical trailers from Japan and the U.S.
-- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a reprinted essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
-- More!

High and Low is an incredible film, probably my favorite non-samurai film made by Kurosawa. I'm looking forward to being able to pick this up.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Wow, that was quick.

Not so hot on the new High and Low cover. It isn't bad by any means, and I do like the focus on the phone.

The Vampyr cover however is absolutely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The July titles are now posted on Criterion's website. Still no sign of a new Eclipse series.

This month's newsletter hint:

Identified as a series of made-for-TV movies by Rosselini by the guys at criterionforum.org. Those guys are annoying as hell, but they sure know their movies.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0210296/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0066839/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0072617/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0069684/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0161382/

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 17, 2008