Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gassire posted:

There was a sourcebook released about a year ago about making deadly dungeons and in it was stats for acid sharks. I don't know who wrote it but I really hope he was just calling the writer a hack and it's not some self effacing remark.

Dungeonscape was written by him and Jason Bulmahn. So it's either a shot at the other guy, or himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Was it any good? I gave it a pass because I didn't notice his name and thought it was meant to be completely serious.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Do the paralysis spell turn you invulvernable in normal DnD as well or is this OotS invention?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
No, he just has a stupid-high amount of HP, I think. Judging by the fact that his arms are in a different position, they may have thawed him out and are spending their time having fun by torturing the gate locations out of him.

Anyways, as mentioned, "Dungeonscape" was written by Rich Burlew and Jason Bulmahn. As far as reviews goes, I thought it was a good book, as evidenced by the fact that when I read through it, I found myself wanting to go on a dungeon crawl. This isn't "a series of musty stone corridors", it's about all sorts of crazy things and ways to handle obstacles as the world's craziest traps attempt to kill you.

To quote from the "Acidborn Monster" template:

"When a dungeon builder needs a deterrent, the only thing better than a giant pit of acid is a giant pit of acid with a shark in it. Until recently, this dream could not be realized because the shark always died after a short time in the acid. New breeding and rearing techniques, however, have yielded aquatic animals that can swim and breathe in acid as easily as their standard counterparts do in the ocean."

Admittedly, there are probably some issues with balance *cough*factotum*cough*, but since you can buy it for $20 on Amazon, it's not a bad buy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Poor O'Chul.

I honestly believe that he's worse off than anyone else in the strip has been at any point. This includes the dead ones.

Foodpie
Apr 20, 2006

And THAT is how you get rid of those hard to clean stains.
Okay, so based on the size of the box, and the shadow cast by the umbrella, and the level of strength displayed in the past, what possibilities exist for the creature in the box?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Foodpie posted:

Okay, so based on the size of the box, and the shadow cast by the umbrella, and the level of strength displayed in the past, what possibilities exist for the creature in the box?

Super-mega-Skrull. In Terrasque form.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I'm going to try and sit down and think about what kind of monster the the MitD might be, but at this point, I'm thinking it's most likely a MacGuffin.

What we know:

- Always hungry.
- Ugly, to the point where people are fascinated, or nauseous.
- Presumably large-sized, but maybe also quite young, so it might be a baby, or very young something.
- Amazingly strong.
- Stomped to create an earthquake. Probably a Supernatural ability.
- High Strength, High AC, (maybe due to being in the dark all the time), Low mental stats.
- Was found in a jungle, which is well outside of it's normal habitat, apparantly.
- Not inherrantly evil, but somewhat selfish as well. It has stated that it's job is to eat the OotS, though, so maybe take that with a grain of salt.
- Still small enough to be carted around in a circus cage on wheels, by Redcloak alone.

First suspect:

Young Dragon in disguise.

Case for: Dragons are pretty awful parents, especially the evil one, who generally abandon their young, disguising them with powerful magic, and letting some other race care for them. It would explain the power to an extent, and maybe the appearance and constanct hunger as well.

Case against: Dragons aren't THAT powerful when they're young, the MitD has the mental scores of a dumb, ugly human, and well... it probably just isn't. Too cliche... too underwhelming... too non-sensical.

Second Suspect:

Baby Tarrasque:

Here's the description from Wikipedia:

The tarrasque is a magical beast. Tarrasques are gigantic, terrible, monstrous engines of destruction which exist only to eat, kill and destroy. Only one tarrasque is said to exist in each gameworld.

Tarrasques have low intelligence and cannot speak. They are neutrally aligned, despite their violent and savage nature (they lack the mental capacity to choose between good or evil).

Case for: Well, minus the ability to speak, that seems pretty apt! Low int, neutrally aligned, violent and savage nature, lives to eat...

Case Against: So... how do Tarrasque breed? Do they breed? Only one exists per gameworld, but you can always chalk the appearance of a young one to: A wizard did it. Would a Tarrasque be able to cause a tremor like the MitD did in Azure City? Maybe at full size... That really did seem over the top.

Third Suspect:

Homebrew Macguffin

Case for: Not to sound arrogant, but I've never heard of anything that just wins at combat like the MitD does. It Burlew never plans to reveal it, the MitD might not be anything at all.

Case against: Burlew's style is to generate a gameworld, then tell a story around it. It's not his style to revert to such lazy story telling, but the MitD is more comic relief than actual threat, most of the time. Still, clues have been given, so I'm tempted to say that I just haven't found the right answer yet.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Those three seem like the most likely at the moment, without pouring over my books for likely matches.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Women's Rights? posted:

That's glorious. "With my luck the next gnome I kill won't even HAVE any candy."

It's been pure gold since they got out of azure city and is now making me mad that we were there for so long in the first place.
I totally agree. This last series of strips has reallyl re-invigorated my love for OotS. And all that it took was getting rid of basically half the cast, who turned out to be pretty boring in the final analysis and killing off most of the unneccesary NPC chaff.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Dungeonscape.... isn't that the one that has the alternate class feats, specifically the fighter feats for 2nd and 4th levels that allow you to bounce opponents into walls for absurdly huge amounts of damage? Burlew had a hand in that?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

NutShellBill posted:

-Low mental stats.

Actually, I would say that it has a low wisdom, but that's no reason to say it also has a low intellect.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Taerkar posted:

Actually, I would say that it has a low wisdom, but that's no reason to say it also has a low intellect.

Yeah, I see the MitD as more of a child than being just stupid. The hello kitty umbrella, Mr. Stiffly, tea parties, wanting friends...to me that just says that it's a child and doesn't know any better than to not hang around with Xythar.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Women's Rights? posted:

Yeah, I see the MitD as more of a child than being just stupid. The hello kitty umbrella, Mr. Stiffly, tea parties, wanting friends...to me that just says that it's a child and doesn't know any better than to not hang around with Xythar.

Do you mean Xykon?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Idran posted:

Do you mean Xykon?

...yes :shobon:. Sorry, Xykon.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Women's Rights? posted:

- Pft...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

gothfae posted:

- Pft...

Why is this not a purchased smiley? (I wish I had a job so I could buy it myself :()

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Women's Rights? posted:

You've been playing way too much Mafia, I can tell.

generally I prefer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 21, 2008

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Women's Rights? posted:

Hey it's not my fault, the drat thing won't leave me alone :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I will be kind of shocked if we ever see MitD as anything other than the joke/macguffin that its been so far.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 21, 2008

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Ashcans posted:

I will be kind of shocked if we ever see MitD as anything other than the joke/macguffin that its been so far.

I'd actually be more shocked if we didn't eventually get a reveal.

Maybe it's a baby Snarl.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'd actually be more shocked if we didn't eventually get a reveal.

Maybe it's a baby Snarl.

Which would be of course why "Historical Flashbacks" are done in crayons, and The MitD can't see or even register that the gates exist. Just because we have one view of what the snarl is, doesn't make it correct, only biased.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

gothfae posted:

Which would be of course why "Historical Flashbacks" are done in crayons, and The MitD can't see or even register that the gates exist. Just because we have one view of what the snarl is, doesn't make it correct, only biased.

Man, I hadn't even thought of those.

Now I'm quite liking this idea :v:

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Mortanis posted:

Dungeonscape.... isn't that the one that has the alternate class feats, specifically the fighter feats for 2nd and 4th levels that allow you to bounce opponents into walls for absurdly huge amounts of damage? Burlew had a hand in that?

You know, I never ended picking that one up, as much as I love Rich. It just seems like an expansion to an idea that doesn't need expanding. By that I mean, a dungeon crawl is by its very nature creative. You've locked the players under the ground, and they must play by your rules room by room. Anything goes!
Actually, I think it would have been nice to see them combine Dungeonscape material with that new Undermountain book that just came out. It looked pretty and extensive. (and expensive)

That said, isn't it time for a new collected strip book to come out already?

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

You know, I never ended picking that one up, as much as I love Rich. It just seems like an expansion to an idea that doesn't need expanding. By that I mean, a dungeon crawl is by its very nature creative. You've locked the players under the ground, and they must play by your rules room by room. Anything goes!
Actually, I think it would have been nice to see them combine Dungeonscape material with that new Undermountain book that just came out. It looked pretty and extensive. (and expensive)

That said, isn't it time for a new collected strip book to come out already?

The last book ended on comic 300, had about 180 comics in it, making the first 120. We are on 541 so yeah I'd say he's probably getting one in the mix now. Last time he talked about projects like this is that he wouldn't announce stuff much before he finished it so as not to have us waiting so long for it. Like book -1, was kind of a surprise for us if I remember correctly. I wonder how many comics the next book will have.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have picked up Start of Darkness and The Origin of PC's and both are highly excellent.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Pope Guilty posted:

I have picked up Start of Darkness and The Origin of PC's and both are highly excellent.

I'm going to order the Origin of PCs as soon as possible. I've just read Start of Darkness again and noticed on page 90, last panel, the strong-arm thingy has the numbers and modifiers matched up incorrectly.

18 is a +4, sure, but then so is 17, then 16 and 15 are +3, 14 and 13 +2 and so on.

Now, am I allowed to think "Ah-hah! I've outfoxed you, Rich, you cunning dog!" or is somebody going to point out why this is actually correct? :colbert:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think it's the other way around. 19-18 is +4, 17-16 is +3, etc..

I'm pretty sure 10-11 is 0.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Taerkar posted:

I think it's the other way around. 19-18 is +4, 17-16 is +3, etc..

I'm pretty sure 10-11 is 0.

Yes, it is. Sorry, I should have clarified. The numbers I wrote down are what the strength tester in the book show, and which are incorrect.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It looks like where he messed up was only labeling 12 as +1, and then 13 becomes +2.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Pope Guilty posted:

It looks like where he messed up was only labeling 12 as +1, and then 13 becomes +2.

Yeah, up yours, Burlew!

Somebody is going to think there was a new comic up with this small burst of replies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Amused Frog posted:

Somebody is going to think there was a new comic up with this small burst of replies.

Yes they will. :(

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Updated! More villainy, more action, all badass!

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 25, 2008

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

LightWarden posted:

Updated! More villainy, more action, all badass!

Xykon is all sorts of hosed up. He never ceases to amaze me with how much lower he can sink.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That goes well beyond evil, that's just loving petty. And this is how you create a satisfying villain.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love Xykon. So much. He's such a huge dick.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

Amused Frog posted:

I realise that alot of people keep an eye on this thread to check for updates, but am I the only one that just checks the website? Of course, to be fair what usually happens is I check his website, it fails to load, and then I come here, as that usally means a new comic is up and one of you fine folks have rehosted it. Then, after the first 24 hours or so of his bandwidith getting hammered, I check it out there so he gets my hit too. Am I the only one that does this? And if I buy extra copies of his books, will this stop?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I check the RSS feed now and then, since it's the only RSS feed I have. If something new is there and no one has posted it, I try to grab it and rehost it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hedgehog King posted:

I realise that alot of people keep an eye on this thread to check for updates, but am I the only one that just checks the website? Of course, to be fair what usually happens is I check his website, it fails to load, and then I come here, as that usally means a new comic is up and one of you fine folks have rehosted it. Then, after the first 24 hours or so of his bandwidith getting hammered, I check it out there so he gets my hit too. Am I the only one that does this? And if I buy extra copies of his books, will this stop?

This is pretty much exactly what I do. I hit the site about once a day. If it doesn't load, I come here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When I remember to, I check the comic pretty much any day at midnight. Sometimes I'm busy, or doing something, or I just plain forget, and so when I see a burst of replies here I check the thread in case I missed checking or he updated after I checked. I don't pay enough attention to really know when he updates (is he even consistent?) so theres never a time I see a move in the thread and know its not the strip posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Ashcans posted:

(is he even consistent?)

Nope. He's pretty much on a permenant random schedule due to his health (hence the "Updates three days a week without warning" above the comic).